Did JD build the best team in football?

With Miami and Buffalo losing a lot of talent this offseason the Jets did the opposite and added a bunch of talent to their roster. The Jets roster top to bottom is by far the most complete team in the league. One could argue Philly is up there with them but they lost Kelce and Reddick. Jets roster is stacked and one could even surmise it as the “dream team”.

• Haha 3

With Miami and Buffalo losing a lot of talent this offseason the Jets did the opposite and added a bunch of talent to their roster. The Jets roster top to bottom is by far the most complete team in the league. One could argue Philly is up there with them but they lost Kelce and Reddick. Jets roster is stacked and one could even surmise it as the “dream team”.
Health is the major question ... They filled in with studs that are oft injured, some coming off significant injuries like achilles tears.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So September, October and November they’ll have a 40yo QB.

In December and 1 week of January a 41 year old.

You guys are right, more of the new math at work

How is that “new math”? He’s going to be turning 41 during the 2024 season.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Haters gonna hate, fanboys gonna fanboy. And the two gonna argue. :D 

Personally I feel the roster is better than anything we have had in a long time - which is a reflection on the GM. But there are injury concerns at a lot of spots - some of these are on the GM too (signing guys with known injury problems) and others are just bad luck (e.g. AVT).

2024 really is a "prove it" year - the argument about JD / Saleh's record to date will become irrelevant if we have a strong season, and if we don't then at a minimum Saleh, and possibly JD, will be gone.

Saleh doesn't make this year work he has to be in trouble.

I JD will be good. No matter what. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You don't think it's a GM's job to actually win games?

As of now Joe Douglas may very well be the worst GM in Jets history.  A half a decade of futility is tough to do.  

I mean this is consistent with most of your takes.

Joes job was to stabilize this team, rebuild it and put a nfl quality roster out there that can win games. Coaches coach the team to win. Gma run the team and make the roster among other things to make sure a team can win

Joe has done that in record time.

He is seen as top 10 GM in the league for a reason

He is fair and does things the right way. The football way.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:49 PM, Beerfish said:

When you have a big fat ? at QB you are not the best roster.

You also have question marks on whether the solid players we have will stay healthy.  Left tackle, AVT, Mike Williams coming back from injury.  The Jets still need another solid wide receiver, and offensive tackle to be able to spell Tyron, and be ready to play if and when there are O line injuries.  Another running back would be nice too.  Safety needs an upgrade.  Other than Quinnen Williams, I think we could use another solid D lineman tackle.  I know we have a couple of new guys, but they are 1st round castoffs, and we can only hope that they play wiell. 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So September, October and November they’ll have a 40yo QB.

In December and 1 week of January a 41 year old.

You guys are right, more of the new math at work

Preach it Jet Nut. They're getting their rocks off of the fact Aaron Rodgers will be 40 for 12 games of the Jets 20 game schedule in 2024. He'll only be 41 from week 13 through the Super Bowl championship. Big deal, Tom Brady was 43 ½ years old when he won Super Bowl LV with the Bucs.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As I said, they have to do with each other because they are both frequently mis-stated things here at JN.  JD is in his final year, he does not currently have two years left.  And Rodgers is 40 and will be 40 for almost all of the 2024 season, he is not 41.

An opinion would be "he will get extended" or "he will not get extended", not when his contract currently ends.

Many people here have at JN, repeatedly.  Hence why I said it the way I did.

See, that's an opinion. 

One I generally would disagree with, personally. 

Contending will not IMO be enough for Woody at this point, nor will backing into a Wildcard berth and subsequent blowout loss in that wildcard game (as one example).  But who knows what Woody thinks at this point.  I know I wouldn't retain JD if we only "contend" but don't make the postseason this year.

My opinion is JD is a good, young GM who made a QB that blew up in our faces.  There was no overcoming the lack of production from the offense and ZW.  Then when he gets a capable QB he goes down for the season in 4 plays.  I think he’s highly regarded around the league and in the media.  And I’d be inclined to predict it will take a total collapse for him not to get an extension.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

How is that “new math”? He’s going to be turning 41 during the 2024 season.

How old will he be opening day?  How old will he be for most of the season?  
I’m not caring all that much, call him 42, he’ll be 42 only a year later.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Joes job was to stabilize this team, rebuild it and put a nfl quality roster out there that can win games. Coaches coach the team to win. Gma run the team and make the roster among other things to make sure a team can win

What world are you living in? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

My opinion is JD is a good, young GM who made a QB that blew up in our faces.  There was no overcoming the lack of production from the offense and ZW.  Then when he gets a capable QB he goes down for the season in 4 plays.  I think he’s highly regarded around the league and in the media.  And I’d be inclined to predict it will take a total collapse for him not to get an extension.  

I think JD isn't nearly as good as many fans, like yourself, think.

With that said, I'm not going to root against him.  We're all in right now on 2024, so lets hope it works out.  For us fans more than for the short-term goal of JD and Saleh to get extensions.  I'm entirely unconvinced JD/Saleh is the right combo for a Super Bowl future as of now.

But we'll see.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

GM's job to hire a coach too.  

• Upvote 1

The team is old and injury prone and lacks depth except for DL.  Future cap and future draft picks have been tapped all because JD, just like Macc, can't draft after the top few picks.

image.thumb.jpeg.7898a52868ce23b69fbfe2a0b6354a12.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, dcJet said:

GM's job to hire a coach too.  

sure I guess on paper and the HC job is to pick the starting qb for sunday but that is not what happens here and you know it. (woody) So i like to judge Joe on what he actually does and has control of. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think JD isn't nearly as good as many fans, like yourself, think.

With that said, I'm not going to root against him.  We're all in right now on 2024, so lets hope it works out.  For us fans more than for the short-term goal of JD and Saleh to get extensions.  I'm entirely unconvinced JD/Saleh is the right combo for a Super Bowl future as of now.

But we'll see.

Hopefully we don’t end up being the Irving, Harden, Durant Nets & are more like the  2022 Lebron, Davis, Westbrook Lakers. They got to Conference finals. 
Superteams never seem to work.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Amazing how soon people forget about the OL

the OL was fine, it was Zach.

Zach has double the sack % of any other JET QB every year he played. even with slow guys like Flacco and White.

against the best defense in the Browns they sacked Sieman 2 times. the Chargers sacked Zach 8 times.

Zach Wilson had the worst pressure % in the league at 30.5%. Sieman was 16.8%. if he played more games he would be 5th best in the league.

Zach in 2022 had a 26.6% pressure %. 4th worst in the league. Flacco was 19.3%. Mike White was 16.2%. and for reference Rodgers was 18.4%

in 2021 Zach was the worst again at 30.6%. Mike White was 19.1%.

Zach holds the ball too long causing more sacks and pressures than any other jet QB. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

the OL was fine, it was Zach.

Zach has double the sack % of any other JET QB every year he played. even with slow guys like Flacco and White.

against the best defense in the Browns they sacked Sieman 2 times. the Chargers sacked Zach 8 times.

Zach Wilson had the worst pressure % in the league at 30.5%. Sieman was 16.8%. if he played more games he would be 5th best in the league.

Zach in 2022 had a 26.6% pressure %. 4th worst in the league. Flacco was 19.3%. Mike White was 16.2%. and for reference Rodgers was 18.4%

in 2021 Zach was the worst again at 30.6%. Mike White was 19.1%.

Zach holds the ball too long causing more sacks and pressures than any other jet QB. 

Actually I'm talking about the health thing. I doubt AVT and the LT from Dallas whoes name escapes me right now finish the season. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually I'm talking about the health thing. I doubt AVT and the LT from Dallas whoes name escapes me right now finish the season. 

your probably right, but we had alot of injuries this year too and the OL played better with Sieman over Zach.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hopefully we don’t end up being the Irving, Harden, Durant Nets & are more like the  2022 Lebron, Davis, Westbrook Lakers. They got to Conference finals. 
Superteams never seem to work.

Since I am not a fan of the NBA or basketball in general, am am entirely ignorant of the past oh, 20 years of pro basketball, I will choose to take your word on this and say...yes, exactly that!  Thanks man.

I am not the Redgren Grumbholdt of pretending I knows what's going on.

23 hours ago, jamesr said:

Do you think that the roster is the worst in Jets history? 

The GMs job is to build a roster to actually win games. The roster that has been assembled, as it stands, is perfectly capable of that. (Was last year too, but we all know how that went).

The last GM we could probably say the same of is Mike T, over 10 years ago. 

The GM's job is to win a championship.  Certainly getting close to that point requires getting into the playoffs.

The Jets haven't even sniffed the playoffs under Joe Douglas.  For some reason this fan base is enthralled with a GM that has been a immense failure.

Mac's record:  24-40

JD's record: 22-49

I'm not sure how anyone can look at that record and continue to tell me this guy isn't a bad GM.  I thought Mac was the worst GM in the league and it's clear now that Joe Douglas has been worse.

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you always add a year to his age?  To make the point that he’s done given there isn’t one actual fact pointing to his demise?

He'll be 41 when it matters next year.  For any potential playoff run.

He had his worst year as a pro by a large amount, on a team that went to playoffs a year laster during Jordan Love's first year - pretty good fact pointing to his demise.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The GM's job is to win a championship.  Certainly getting close to that point requires getting into the playoffs.

The Jets haven't even sniffed the playoffs under Joe Douglas.  For some reason this fan base is enthralled with a GM that has been a immense failure.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at that record and continue to tell me this guy isn't a bad GM.  I thought Mac was the worst GM in the league and it's clear now that Joe Douglas has been worse.

Angry Watch Out GIF by BrownSugarApp

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maccagnan had the advantage of not following five years of Maccagnan.

The Jets won 10 games in Mac’s first season -the Fitzmagic year- and followed that up with 5, 5, and 4 wins before somehow winning 7 with Gase. The roster JD took over was absolute garbage. The roster under Douglas has gotten steadily better, undermined mostly by injuries on the worst field in the sport and Zach’s poor play. They’d’ve been a playoff team with a healthy Rodgers last year. They should be one this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets won 10 games in Mac’s first season -the Fitzmagic year- and followed that up with 5, 5, and 4 wins before somehow winning 7 with Gase. The roster JD took over was absolute garbage. The roster under Douglas has gotten steadily better, undermined mostly by injuries on the worst field in the sport and Zach’s poor play. They’d’ve been a playoff team with a healthy Rodgers last year. They should be one this year. 

I don't disagree with the premise of this post, but I would say the defense got steadily better, but the offense, even outside of the QB, got steadily worse. Mostly because the Oline completely sucked. Which is why I don't think it was a playoff team even with AR. AR could not last one game with that o line, even if he did not get hurt when he did, odds are he was going to get hurt with that o llne which was a disaster. I blame the coaching for the offense as much if not more than the GM, but to the best of my knowledge the coach was hired by the GM, and the coach is terrible

This is often overlooked - you could call it the "instant coffee generation" if you want to bring Saleh into the conversation.

New GM has to win now. Quick turnaround, because someone else once did it (though we can't quite recall exactly where). So you have a spending spree, have a great year, then assume next year is when you take a step up. But those free agents are gone, the draft picks were focused on "win now", so you don't maintain anything. One or two big years then flop. Fire everyone, wash, rinse, repeat.

Mac had 10 wins in year 1 ... and 10 the next two combined. No sustainability, and headed in the wrong direction. At least with JD we are - so far - heading in a better direction. It just isn't fast enough for most people, which is a fair point, and I won't blame people for being impatient.

JD had 4 wins in year 1 ... and 11 in the next two combined. Why is Mac being seen as better, in that context?

2024 will need to be another step up. Regression will lead to change. Plateauing will lead to some sort of change, maybe not GM but I'd say likely the coaching staff would go. But wins, playoffs, a year where there is progress in the right direction? Is JD still "the worst GM in history" if that happens? Because Mac was the worst till JD came along, and Idzik was the worst before him ... and so on. It's always the current guy who is "the worst" it seems.

We're moving in a better direction now than at any point in the last 10+ years. Better to make slow progress than no progress at all. At least in my book. And I reckon there'll be a very different narrative this time next year - in a good way.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't disagree with the premise of this post, but I would say the defense got steadily better, but the offense, even outside of the QB, got steadily worse. Mostly because the Oline completely sucked. Which is why I don't think it was a playoff team even with AR. AR could not last one game with that o line, even if he did not get hurt when he did, odds are he was going to get hurt with that o llne which was a disaster. I blame the coaching for the offense as much if not more than the GM, but to the best of my knowledge the coach was hired by the GM, and the coach is terrible

Maccagnan’s teams did not have talent like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall. The year before JD, Jamison Crowder was the team’s leading receiver and a stupidly overpaid Le’Veon Bell was at RB. 

I have very mixed feelings about Saleh. He’s a top level defensive coach, imo, and he’s created a more positive culture than should actually exist in that building, but his offensive choices have been questionable, at best. They all overestimated themselves when they thought an a second year GM could add a rookie head coach and rookie OC and make a rookie QB work. Massive error that they continue to pay for. Should’ve been over last year but instead Rodgers was over in four downs. I feel for Saleh when he says he’s never had a real QB, because he hasn’t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll be 41 when it matters next year.  For any potential playoff run.

He had his worst year as a pro by a large amount, on a team that went to playoffs a year laster during Jordan Love's first year - pretty good fact pointing to his demise.

He had his worst year as a pro?  LOL are you serious?  He was injured.  
And WTF does Jordan Love have to do with it other than Love being ready is why Rodgers was made available by the Packers.

You need to stop, this is embarrassing 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:21 PM, Falco21 said:

This is it. It's the best Jets roster I have ever seen and that's not a question. It all comes down to Rodgers. Plain and simple. 

It comes down to much more than Rodgers.   The Jets are counting on a lot of guys with health questions.   They all stay healthy and Rodgers is the mvp Rodgers they have as good as chance as any team  . What’s the chance of that happening ?      Let’s just say I have better chance of being right on my predictions than that happening.   If you know my prediction history , you know the Jets are screwed, 

• Upvote 1