Would you consider this draft day scenario?

Let's assume no team is interested in trading up to the Jets #10 spot this year.  The Jets know that they need both a top tier O tackle and a top tier wide receiver.

At #10, the Jets go ahead and draft either one of the 3 top wide receivers, a top O lineman, or heavens forbid, Brock Bowers.

Now, the Jets want to climb back into the late 1st round or early 2nd round for the other missing piece to the puzzle.

Would you trade our 72 pick of this years draft, along with Will McDonald to be able to draft the O lineman/wide receiver?

Will McDonald could be considered a luxury in this win now team mode.  He showed flashes last year, and many hope that he will make a step forward in his development this year.

He also has 4 years left on his rookie deal.  I would guess that he would be a better pick up in the late 1st round or early 2nd round for a team that needs an edge rusher.

Would you make this hypothetical trade?  And secondly, "Do you think there would be takers from other teams for this deal?"

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 3

No.

I don’t think the Jets have finished trying to squeeze JFM, yet. He’s more likely to be included in any trade than McDonald, who they will not consider moving. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No.

I don’t think the Jets have finished trying to squeeze JFM, yet. He’s more likely to be included in any trade than McDonald, who they will not consider moving. 

I don't disagree with you, but I believe McDonald would be more in demand than JFM.  If it were a trade for JFM and our #72 pick, I don't think any other team would make that trade.  I get what you're saying though; it won't happen with McDonald, so it won't happen as far as you are concerned.

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

And secondly, "Do you think there would be takers from other teams for this deal?"

#72 and McDonald for a mid-round #1 pick?

No, I don't think there would be any takers.

And I agree with @slats, I very much doubt Saleh would allow McDonald to be moved.

• Upvote 3

No, if for no other reason than trading last year's 1st round pick as part of a package to move up to get a later 1st round pick this year would make the front office look idiotic, even if it made some sense (which I absolutely don't think it does).

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

#72 and McDonald for a mid-round #1 pick?

No, I don't think there would be any takers.

That's not what i said.  LOL   I said late first round or early second round.

If they can get one of the top three WR’s at ten and get up high enough with 72 and capital from next year to get the right tackle I’d absolutely do that. McDonald is a weird hypothetical I don’t really think has any chance of happening so it’s hard to answer. 

I can't see the Jets trading McDonald. They picked him over players at greater need positions last year. Moving on from him now, before he has really played, would be admitting they made a mistake in picking him over a WR or OL last year. I don't think they do that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I can't see the Jets trading McDonald. They picked him over players at greater need positions last year. Moving on from him now, before he has really played, would be admitting they made a mistake in picking him over a WR or OL last year. I don't think they do that.

Sometimes in order to get something good, you need to give up something good.  With the pickup of Reddick, you also have JFM and Johnson.  McDonald is clearly #4 of the pass rushers, and the Jets have shown this offseason that they are in the "win now" mode.

And as far as picking him over other players of greater need, McDonald hasn't yet come into his own.

Sometimes it's okay to admit you made a mistake, instead of living with that mistake and allowing it to snowball to a bigger mistake.

I'm not saying that he is a bust by any means, but if there is an opportunity to make the team better for now and in the long run, "Why not make it?"

McDonald IMO should become a consistent 10 sack guy based on his production in limited snaps last year. I feel we will be fully stocked and loaded for 60 minutes of pressure with him in the mix, so no trade!.

I think we're also forgetting what he's already shown in college, where he had more sacks than Von Miller, and in his limited snaps due to the Jets easing him into the lineup, as they they did with JJ in year one...

His extra long arms and abnormal flexibility, which allow him to get a hand in to strip or tackle the QB if tied up is evident in his college high lights as it was also true when he got his first sack in the NFL with Davis Mills.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

What would our cap charge be if we traded McDonald? There would be dead money on this years cap (if I'm not mistaken) if traded.

Yup. 

He has a cap hit of $3.7M this year, if we trade him, we would incur about a $10M hit.  Not sure of the exact number since I am not sure how roster bonsues would be treated in a trade scenario.  We are already tight against the cap, we are not going to make a trade that costs us $5M - $7M in cap space.

• Upvote 1

I prefer the scenario where we draft Fashanu at 10, then trade back into the first by giving up next years 1 and the 72 pick, plus Lazard, Zach, Billy ******* Kimber, and Alan Thicke so we can select Tyler Guyton.