Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

17 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First, the scout who guessed Bowers runs a 4.8 should be discredited.

Bowers is a case you don’t over-analyze.  You put on 3 years of tape against the best competition in college football, against future NFL players and stars.  

1. How dominant was he?  Very

2. Did he step up in the biggest games?  Yes

3. Was he a mismatch against CBs, LBs, Safeties?  Yes because of his unique athletic profile:  combo of size, speed, explosiveness, contact balance, toughness

4. Did he jump off the screen?  Yes

5. Did teams find ways to stop him after 3 years?  His TDs did go down but his stats stand tall even in the face of more attention

6. What did opposing coaches like Nick Saban say about him?  ‘One of the premier players in college football’, ‘best TE in the country’, ‘a mismatch problem’, ‘a good blocker’

7. Are there red flags?  By all accounts, a great and humble kid

I can’t believe there are still “who cares what he does in shorts, just watch the #tape” guys in The Year of Our Lord 2024

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Your argument loses a little muster when you compare pick 10 to pick 34.   If we trade down and get picks 20 and 34 and take a tackle and then bowers at 34 I think it’s safe to say we would have a party on this board. 

I guess you forgot or didn't know that they took a RB at 12 and a LB at 18.

RB - LB - TE - S, all in the top 50.

The "positional value guys" must have died after seeing this draft.

image.thumb.png.d3bc929369bd50bda13f334d2d53376f.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First, the scout who guessed Bowers runs a 4.8 should be discredited.

Bowers is a case you don’t over-analyze.  You put on 3 years of tape against the best competition in college football, against future NFL players and stars.  

1. How dominant was he?  Very

2. Did he step up in the biggest games?  Yes

3. Was he a mismatch against CBs, LBs, Safeties?  Yes because of his unique athletic profile:  combo of size, speed, explosiveness, contact balance, toughness

4. Did he jump off the screen?  Yes

5. Did teams find ways to stop him after 3 years?  His TDs did go down but his stats stand tall even in the face of more attention

6. What did opposing coaches like Nick Saban say about him?  ‘One of the premier players in college football’, ‘best TE in the country’, ‘a mismatch problem’, ‘a good blocker’

7. Are there red flags?  By all accounts, a great and humble kid

What do you objectively look at to determine that he was very dominant and how would you compare whatever that objective criteria is to the receivers who project to go ahead of him?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Funny how the position matters more when the guy sucks

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I don’t care about positional value all that much. Laporta is bigger and faster than Bowers though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Bowers is a dynamic playmaker who graded out as one of the best tight ends in PFF College history. He averaged 2.64 yards per route run and 8.5 yards after the catch per reception over his career, which would have ranked first among all NFL tight ends last season.

The Georgia product isn't the biggest guy, but he ranked in the 80th percentile in contested catch rate for his career.

If he doesn’t look like your typical tight end, it’s because he’s not. Bowers has lined up in the slot or as an outside receiver on 1,033 snaps and as an in-line tight end on 876 snaps. Whichever team picks him in April is getting an elite weapon.

BOTTOM LINE FROM PFF'S 2024 NFL DRAFT GUIDE

Besides being on the smaller side, Bowers is a dream tight end prospect who can be an impact player in the slot, out wide and in line. Add in his reliable blocking ability on the line and in space, and you have an ultimate chess piece offensive weapon with All-Pro potential.

-PFF

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t care about positional value all that much. Laporta is bigger and faster than Bowers though. 

They are both listed as about the same size.  6'3" 240ish.  Some sites list LaPorta 6'4" but it's close.

Bowers posted a 4.53 on his pro day.  LaPorta posted a 4.59 at the Combine.

Other than that?...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

LaPorta ran a 4.59 and is 6'3" and 245, while technically bigger by 2 pounds he is not faster.

Bowers ran 4.55 3 years ago.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They are both listed as about the same size.  6'3" 240ish.  Some sites list LaPorta 6'4" but it's close.

Other than that?...

He never ran the 40

Like Harrison, Bowers participated in the basics at the combine but stopped short of running a 40, testing or working out. One week later, he weighed in once more at the Georgia pro day but didn’t participate because of what the Falcons’ staffer directing the event noted was an “injured right hamstring.”

On April 10, about four weeks after his injury, Bowers got on the scale at the start of a three-player workout for assembled scouts. Then he performed positional drills but again refused the 40, the jumps and the shuttles.

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

BOTTOM LINE FROM PFF'S 2024 NFL DRAFT GUIDE

Besides being on the smaller side, Bowers is a dream tight end prospect who can be an impact player in the slot, out wide and in line. Add in his reliable blocking ability on the line and in space, and you have an ultimate chess piece offensive weapon with All-Pro potential.

-PFF

Is he a horsie or a battlement tho?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He never ran the 40

Like Harrison, Bowers participated in the basics at the combine but stopped short of running a 40, testing or working out. One week later, he weighed in once more at the Georgia pro day but didn’t participate because of what the Falcons’ staffer directing the event noted was an “injured right hamstring.”

On April 10, about four weeks after his injury, Bowers got on the scale at the start of a three-player workout for assembled scouts. Then he performed positional drills but again refused the 40, the jumps and the shuttles.

Wait so he didn't run that 4.53 that's been floating around from that workout?

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Other than that?...

He didn't run on his pro day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Wait so he didn't run that 4.53 that's been floating around from that workout?

Other than some Georgia fan website it appears he never ran the 40. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Other than some Georgia fan website it appears he never ran the 40. 

So we are drafting at 10 a slow undersized tight end who’s mostly a YAC guy so he can run designed screens on 3rd and long.  This franchise cannot ever figure it out

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is where things get frustrating, when people feel free to just make stuff up and assume no one will check.

Sam LaPorta is listed at 6'3" and 245 lbs on the Detroit Lions site.  He ran a 4.59 at the combine

Brock Bowers was measured at 6'3" and 243 lbs at the combine.  Bowers can run faster than 4.59

Stop with this nonsense

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

The first part of the post is kinda how I was left feeling after watching his tape. Really good prospect, but he's limited in certain respects. Are we really about to turn the keys over to a rookie TE and run a huge chunk of the offense through him in a win now year? If so, ok, great. If you don't and try to make him an inline TE as well, are you really getting the most out of him to the point where it's worth #10?

It's funny the scout mentioned he had a fullbacks body. In another thread I called him a rich man's Kyle juszczyk. Maybe that's a bit extreme but I was trying to make a point about his potential limitations. And for those saying "well he's not going to be a TE, he's a weapon/WR, that's great but I don't see evidence of him lining up outside and winning like a wr. So why not just draft a WR? (Or a really good slot in the 3rd)?

I know his "downfield" highlights were posted the other day, but how many of those reps was he lined up outside and won (and not starting in the slot)?

Name me a product ever that didn’t have limitations. The cleanest of prospects that have panned out have had things people questioned about them. Moss, Megatron, Hopkins, Andre, etc all had questions about there sudden quickness and such but were big body guys that still had HOF careers. A guy like Tyreeke was too small. Diggs too small. Etc.

Bowers is a combo of all of this. He’s a good route runner, has great hands, has plenty of speed, big enough where arm tackles don’t get him down, too fast for most front 7 guys.

And as I’ll say for the however many times I’ve said this. Hes what the league is trending to. The league is trending more to athletic guys everywhere that are mismatches. Little WRs in the 2000s weren’t as valuable as they are now bc they’re harder to hit with the rule changes. Having your 6’7” 270lb TE that can catch and block isn’t as valuable anymore. Having that TE that can pretty much be a chess piece is a modern weapon 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WhartonJet said:

This is where things get frustrating, when people feel free to just make stuff up and assume no one will check.

Sam LaPorta is listed at 6'3" and 245 lbs on the Detroit Lions site.  He ran a 4.59 at the combine

Brock Bowers was measured at 6'3" and 243 lbs at the combine.  Bowers can run faster than 4.59

Stop with this nonsense

I’d like to see Bowers run faster than a 4.59.

Laporta also had a sub 7 3 cone and tested extremely well in the vertical and broad jumps. Bowers hasn’t done any of this.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WhartonJet said:

Stop with this nonsense

If bowers can run faster than a 4.59 why did he dodge the combine?

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged