Your 2024 Jets draft prediction

Your Jets draft prediction  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Your Jets draft prediction

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Voted “Other” staying put and selecting a WR like Thomas Jr earlier than projected is a possibility. Similar to McDonald.

This is a possibility if he finds himself stuck at #10. I’d love it until it didn’t work out, lol. This place would be a laugh riot, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I think there’s a chance one of the WRs are there.  4 QBs, a EDGE to Atl, couple of OL and there’s a chance, especially if the Bears to D.  

Our best chance is if the bears go defense. They only have four picks so I think they trade down and someone swoops in for the WR….
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Wit said:

Our best chance is if the bears go defense. They only have four picks so I think they trade down and someone swoops in for the WR….

I think Atlanta and the Bears are going D. 
At least I’m hoping.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is a possibility if he finds himself stuck at #10. I’d love it until it didn’t work out, lol. This place would be a laugh riot, too. 

I wouldn’t mind that pick at all. Likely I’d want someone else. But I’d love to have Thomas Jr on this team.

4 hours ago, slats said:

No WR at #10 choice? 

I’m torn on this one. Joe Douglas has had some success trading up, including twice in his signature draft. But also, I know he listens to the analytics which say trading back is the only way to go - especially for future picks. But he might be drafting for his job here, and feel the need to hit big. Fans of Brock Thorpe think he’d be that guy, but I think only one of the big WRs might be able to make that kind of an impact as a rookie. End of the day, it’s very hard for me to see the value conscious JD draft an H-back at #10. And trading up just to #8 could cost both fourth rounders - and that’s some Tannenbaum bull**** right there. 

So I’m gonna go with “other,” thinking he gets his WR at 10 (a tossup, imho). If the WR isn’t there, then I think he’ll have a couple conversations in place about moving back and adding picks like a proper nerd. If he can’t trade back, then OT. 

He can flip the 3rd to a 5th to keep the same # of picks and still move up.   I definitely think he’s going to try to go up for 1 of the big 3. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

No WR at #10 choice? 

I’m torn on this one. Joe Douglas has had some success trading up, including twice in his signature draft. But also, I know he listens to the analytics which say trading back is the only way to go - especially for future picks. But he might be drafting for his job here, and feel the need to hit big. Fans of Brock Thorpe think he’d be that guy, but I think only one of the big WRs might be able to make that kind of an impact as a rookie. End of the day, it’s very hard for me to see the value conscious JD draft an H-back at #10. And trading up just to #8 could cost both fourth rounders - and that’s some Tannenbaum bull**** right there. 

So I’m gonna go with “other,” thinking he gets his WR at 10 (a tossup, imho). If the WR isn’t there, then I think he’ll have a couple conversations in place about moving back and adding picks like a proper nerd. If he can’t trade back, then OT. 

Interesting. I don't see JD that way.  Here's how I see JD.

He targets very specific players in the 1st and 2nd round including the brain dead pick and us prone to wanting to trade up. He is too willing to spend too much opportunity cost to get the player he wants. The PFF nerds were right about the AVT trade being terrible 

He values up side potential over a higher floor.

After the first round he relies increasingly and too much on athletic measurables 

JD knows without a playoff run he is gone and we are rebuilding totally in 2026 no matter what happens. So I see him having no tie to the 2025 picks so I see him using those to move up. It would not shock me if we trade some combination of 2 of our Top 3 picks next year.

I don't see him as a value guy at all

• WTF? 1

I did put $500 on Fautanu being the 10th pick at +700. Bowers odds were so crazy at like +140

They don’t have those gigantic buildings out there for no reason. So Bowere is probably the “safe” bet.

But I still went with my hunch.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Interesting. I don't see JD that way.  Here's how I see JD.

He targets very specific players in the 1st and 2nd round including the brain dead pick and us prone to wanting to trade up. He is too willing to spend too much opportunity cost to get the player he wants. The PFF nerds were right about the AVT trade being terrible 

He values up side potential over a higher floor.

After the first round he relies increasingly and too much on athletic measurables 

JD knows without a playoff run he is gone and we are rebuilding totally in 2026 no matter what happens. So I see him having no tie to the 2025 picks so I see him using those to move up. It would not shock me if we trade some combination of 2 of our Top 3 picks next year.

I don't see him as a value guy at all

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Win scenario - top 3 wr - unlikely

Safe pick who helps for 10+ yrs - fuaga

the ‘i need instant kudos from the nfl community’ pick - bowers

Best for the jets long term - trade back

Verdict:  Fuaga.  If douglas can fix one major criticism it’s the OL and he can do this simply by taking one guy.  

Love the breakdown!

On Fuaga, doesn’t he project at RT?  I don’t love the pick for this year because LT is where our major injury risk is .. and don’t love it for the future if Warren is in line to win the job in 2025.

Maybe I’m missing something .. 

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Love the breakdown!

On Fuaga, doesn’t he project at RT?  I don’t love the pick for this year because LT is where our major injury risk is .. and don’t love it for the future if Warren is in line to win the job in 2025.

Maybe I’m missing something .. 

jd made that mistake with taking becton over wirfs.  If he took the best tackle he would have been fine.  IMO fuaga is going to be a real asset in the run game and can also handle pass pro.  I like fautanu but i wonder if he’s going to be only a decent LT.  But hey maybe that’s what this team needs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Was trying to rank the scenarios that would make the Jets look the worst if they "stick and pick" and the player is a bust.  Probably any defensive player would be #1 and Bowers would be #2

Chad Reuter NFL.com 7 round mock:

1-10 JC Latham - OT - Alabama (Kill me, Malik Nabers goes 13)

3-72 Tykee Smith - S - Georgia (Kill me, Malachi Corley 74, Keon Coleman 84)

4-111 Jermaine Burton WR -  Alabama (Kill me, Jalen McMillan goes 113, Malik Washington 116)

4-134 Tommy Eichenberg - LB - Ohio State (Meh)

6-185 Jordan Travis - QB - FSU (This is okay)

7-256 Devin Culp  - TE - Washington (Meh)

7-257 Micah Abraham  - CB - Marshall (Meh)

What a total stink fest draft for the jets as in abysmal.

• Ugh 1

I think he:

1. Tries to trade up but gets outbid because he wants to stick to “his price.” Some team like the Jaguars trades a couple of future twos to come up for Odunze and he makes the Pro Bowl as a rookie. 

2. Douglas waits to see if Nabers falls, but another team snakes us by sliding up to the Bears pick at nine.

3. With the receivers and QBs off the board, the ten pick loses all value and Douglas gets to pick the guy he’s wanted all along in Fuaga. 

4. While everyone is like “yay wow Fuaga,” Douglas quietly refuses to extend AVT, a guard that he traded up for three years ago. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think he:

1. Tries to trade up but gets outbid because he wants to stick to “his price.” Some team like the Jaguars trades a couple of future twos to come up for Odunze and he makes the Pro Bowl as a rookie. 

2. Douglas waits to see if Nabers falls, but another team snakes us by sliding up to the Bears pick at nine.

3. With the receivers and QBs off the board, the ten pick loses all value and Douglas gets to pick the guy he’s wanted all along in Fuaga. 

4. While everyone is like “yay wow Fuaga,” Douglas quietly refuses to extend AVT, a guard that he traded up for three years ago. 

This is the most likely scenario.  He effectively ‘learns his lesson’ and gets a redo on the becton/wirfs pick (to the extent one can).  

Truth, i suspect this is his preferred scenario anyway.  He doesn’t want to give up too much draft capital to move up, and he’s desperate to demonstrate he can draft a good tackle.  He has a layup here.

though i will say that with so many teams rumored to want to trade up, you may wind up with the broncos and/or raiders trading up for a qb, and the chargers may also trade out, and it could push a wr or alt down to 10.  Stranger things have happened.

• Upvote 1

Lots of trade down speculation.  Not sure this fits in with the win now mantra .. 2nd round receivers or OTs don’t typically hit the ground running.

Plus doesn’t exactly fit JD’s premium round M.O. in his first 4 drafts.

He did trade back in 2020 in the 2nd round.  Was sub-consciously probably looking for a reason NOT to draft Mims. ;) 

Otherwise, he traded up for Vera Tucker in 2021 (it was later revealed Jets were also interested in trading back into the first for Elijah Moore).  

Then in 2022 JD traded into the first for JJ followed by Breece at the top of round 2.

Last year they had no ammo to trade up yet still resisted the temptation to trade back even with McDonald projected as later in the first or even early second.

I believe so many of us are focused on trying to recoup a 2nd rounder that we are overlooking win now and JD’s own history.

Im probably wrong, as my wife often reminds me ;)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jd made that mistake with taking becton over wirfs.  If he took the best tackle he would have been fine.  IMO fuaga is going to be a real asset in the run game and can also handle pass pro.  I like fautanu but i wonder if he’s going to be only a decent LT.  But hey maybe that’s what this team needs. 

Yep, I had Wirfs in my mind as well and it’s very common for people to over ratchet on past mistakes.  So your logic is sound.

My ‘but’ is that JD likely knows the Jets better f-in win THIS year.  Hey, if he feels Fuaga can help with that cause, then great.  But he better be right because the data says that a guy like Odenze or even a slot reveiving threat like Bowers will be more likely to make a year 1 impact.  The only exception at OT in my mind is Alt.  

31 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yep, I had Wirfs in my mind as well and it’s very common for people to over ratchet on past mistakes.  So your logic is sound.

My ‘but’ is that JD likely knows the Jets better f-in win THIS year.  Hey, if he feels Fuaga can help with that cause, then great.  But he better be right because the data says that a guy like Odenze or even a slot reveiving threat like Bowers will be more likely to make a year 1 impact.  The only exception at OT in my mind is Alt.  

If jd is drafting solely for 2024 then he’s going to try like heck to trade up for a wr - yet, what is more likely to bust the season (besides another catastrophic rodgers injury) is the OL falling apart.  So fuaga may save the season more than rome wins it for jd.  

The hedge is a trade back, tackle in round 1 and then a trade up for a quality wr and you have the best of both worlds. 

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If jd is drafting solely for 2024 then he’s going to try like heck to trade up for a wr - yet, what is more likely to bust the season (besides another catastrophic rodgers injury) is the OL falling apart.  So fuaga may save the season more than rome wins it for jd.  

The hedge is a trade back, tackle in round 1 and then a trade up for a quality wr and you have the best of both worlds. 

It’s an interesting way of looking at this Jets draft.

How do you prevent the season from busting?  Load up on the OL

or maybe ..

How do you add high end octane to the offense?  Top 3 WR 

Me personally, I like scenario 2 better because there might be a higher payoff.  But I absolutely get scenario 1 after watching last season.

Good discussion my friend.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

It’s an interesting way of looking at this Jets draft.

How do you prevent the season from busting?  Load up on the OL

or maybe ..

How do you add high end octane to the offense?  Top 3 WR 

Me personally, I like scenario 2 better because there might be a higher payoff.  But I absolutely get scenario 1 after watching last season.

Good discussion my friend.

You would assume they’re also looking at these scenarios.  And they probably will make a judgment call.  But i keep going back to all the criticism jd has taken about the OL, how he was brought here to fix it, the becton saga and all the injuries.  And now if they took a wr or bowers and Tyron smith gets hurt and they didn’t take a good OT, that’s kinda it for jd here. 

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You would assume they’re also looking at these scenarios.  And they probably will make a judgment call.  But i keep going back to all the criticism jd has taken about the OL, how he was brought here to fix it, the becton saga and all the injuries.  And now if they took a wr or bowers and Tyron smith gets hurt and they didn’t take a good OT, that’s kinda it for jd here. 

The bet there (and frankly it’s all a bet) is that a first round OT (outside of Alt IMO) is any better than a vet stop gap.  How much better?  I emphasize first year out of the gate.  

I compare that to the gap between say first year Odunze  and what the Jets could get in the free agent WR market.

We talk about the OLine needing insurance.  If 1 of 2 WRs go down, we are F-D.  That in itself puts a ton of pressure on the Oline.  

11 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The bet there (and frankly it’s all a bet) is that a first round OT (outside of Alt IMO) is any better than a vet stop gap.  How much better?  I emphasize first year out of the gate.  

I compare that to the gap between say first year Odunze  and what the Jets could get in the free agent WR market.

We talk about the OLine needing insurance.  If 1 of 2 WRs go down, we are F-D.  That in itself puts a ton of pressure on the Oline.  

And all this conjecture is before you even consider the possibility that jd stays beyond 2024.  If thinks there’s a decent chance he is, he’s going to want that tackle there so when those 2 are a year older and smith isn’t under contract, he doesn’t have to worry about another starting tackle spot again.  It also sets it up for another qb if jd gets another shot.  

I’ll also add that i think the jets are going to be a big run team with breece and whoever else they bring in, which favors fuaga and deemphasizes the need for a guy like rome even though he’s amazing.  

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So I feel like Rodgers would trust a rookie TE1 or WR3 rather than a starting rookie OLineman. Now if that rookie was a 1st or 2nd option as a weapon I could see him shying away. But we have GW, MW and Breece

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And all this conjecture is before you even consider the possibility that jd stays beyond 2024.  If thinks there’s a decent chance he is, he’s going to want that tackle there so when those 2 are a year older and smith isn’t under contract, he doesn’t have to worry about another starting tackle spot again.  It also sets it up for another qb if jd gets another shot.  

I’ll also add that i think the jets are going to be a big run team with breece and whoever else they bring in, which favors fuaga and deemphasizes the need for a guy like rome even though he’s amazing.  

Yep, that’s a fair point.  We really don’t know how much at risk he is.  Know that this might be more than 2024 would change things.

That said, every major move besides Simpson and Taylor has been a 1 year deal.  

Assuming the top 3 WR's are off the board when we pick, i think the pick is the Oregon tackle Fuaga. He solidifies that position for years to come. 

I think what JD has to determine is how much he likes a guy like Guyton and how much does he feel he is a drop off from Fuaga or Fautanu.  Guyton would clearly give JD a chance to trade back and recoup a second or third rounder.  But the drop off may be too much.  2024 does give Guyton a chance to learn unless an injury hits Moses. But with his job on the line i dont think JD will be willing to take the chance on a swing and a miss with a guy like Guyton or Mims.  He takes the sure pick in Fuaga. 

Then keeps his fingers crossed that a good WR is still on the board in round 3.    One other option would be trading this years 3 and next years 3 for a 2 this year to make sure he gets the WR he wants. 

6 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

2024 does give Guyton a chance to learn unless an injury hits Moses. But with his job on the line i dont think JD will be willing to take the chance on a swing and a miss with a guy like Guyton or Mims.

Please remember we have Mitchell and Warren with a healthy offseason of progress, as well as picking up vets with camp cut down. Priority for me is the big, fast WR to develop & to back up MW & Lazard in case of injury. Hoping Brownlee working his ass off these past few months. OT, Safety & LB and DT 3-7.

Wepones!!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Six days out, lots of speculation. What do you think they do?

Whenever I am adamant about wanting the Jets to take someone who will be available or adamant about them to not take someone that will be there they always take the guy I don’t want and never take the guy I’d want.

So lock Brock Bowers in at #10 unfortunately 😢 

• Upvote 1

I admit my pendulum has swung to wanting Odunze .. but in order to not be a Hypocrite... I'm hoping for a stud OL Fuaga, Alt, Fashanu or Fautanu or Latham

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Wit said:

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I think Atlanta and the Bears are going D. 
At least I’m hoping.

IF one of the big 3 WR’s are there and the Bears are not looking to draft one of them I’d say there is about a 98% chance someone jumps up to 9 to grab the last of the top 3 WR’s.

In fact if I was JD I’d already be trying to make a deal with the Bears now to make the one pick swap, if one of the big 3 isn’t there then maybe you get someone trying to come up for Penis or Nix and trade back down recouping whatever you gave up and maybe a little more depending how far back you go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Six days out, lots of speculation. What do you think they do?

I wonder if JD has the outside the box hat on.

Ideally if I’m in charge I’m calling SF offering pick #10 and Wilson for either Aiyuk or Deebo AND pick #31.

Draft the highest ranked OL left on your board at 31.

Perfect win now and build for later scenario.

I don’t know the worth of either WR and if it’s enough for the 49ers to pull the trigger on that type of deal but there is a lot of smoke from SF about trading one of those dudes.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I wonder if JD has the outside the box hat on.

Ideally if I’m in charge I’m calling SF offering pick #10 and Wilson for either Aiyuk or Deebo AND pick #31.

Draft the highest ranked OL left on your board at 31.

Perfect win now and build for later scenario.

I don’t know the worth of either WR and if it’s enough for the 49ers to pull the trigger on that type of deal but there is a lot of smoke from SF about trading one of those dudes.

For a second I thought you meant Garrett Wilson

• Haha 1