Not much ‘hope’ in Jets’ Aaron Rodgers-Nathaniel Hackett pairing: ESPN’s Kevin Clark

https://nypost.com/2024/05/24/sports/not-much-hope-in-jets-aaron-rodgers-nathaniel-hackett-pair-espns-kevin-clark/

The Jets are optimistic about their upcoming season, but not everyone feels the same way.

ESPN’s Kevin Clark joined the network’s flagship football show “NFL Live” on Friday and said he’s dubious of the partnership between Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the team’s offensive coordinator, Nathaniel Hackett.

“I was in Green Bay two years ago doing a story on Matt LaFleur,” Clark said, referring to the Packers head coach who was hired in 2019 and coached Rodgers’ last four seasons in the NFC before the QB landed with the Jets last offseason.

Kevin Clark appeared on NFL Live to discuss the Aaron Rodgers-Nathaniel Hackett pairing.4

Kevin Clark appeared on NFL Live to discuss the Aaron Rodgers-Nathaniel Hackett pairing.@ESPNNFL on X

Aaron Rodgers (8) speaks with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett during OTAâs in Florham Park, NJ.4

Aaron Rodgers (8) speaks with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett during OTAâs in Florham Park, NJ.Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Clark continued: “I felt that the best thing about the Rodgers-LaFleur relationship was that LaFleur pushed Rodgers into new concepts, into new schemes, into blind throws he wasn’t comfortable making. And I just feel like this isn’t that.”

He added later: “I just don’t see a lot of hope here.”

Hackett was Rodgers’ offensive coordinator with the Packers from 2019-21, when he helped oversee Rodgers’ 2020 and 2021 NFL MVP seasons.

Nathaniel Hackett speaks to the media during the New York Jets OTA Offseason Workout on May 21, 2024 in Florham Park, New Jersey.4

Nathaniel Hackett speaks to the media during the New York Jets OTA Offseason Workout on May 21, 2024 in Florham Park, New Jersey.Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers speaks to the media during the New York Jets OTA Offseason Workout on May 21, 2024 in Florham Park, New Jersey.4

Aaron Rodgers speaks to the media during the New York Jets OTA Offseason Workout on May 21, 2024 in Florham Park, New Jersey.Getty Images

Rodgers, of course, didn’t play with Hackett in his first season as a Jet beyond the first four plays of the season after he tore his Achilles on opening night against the Bills.

Without Rodgers, the Jets’ offense struggled, finishing 29th in the NFL at 15.8 points per game.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not going to sit here and pretend we should be the favorite or even top 3 favorite in the afc. But Rodgers alone will make any team a legit contender. 

This idea that the jets will suck or not make the playoffs or even go on a playoff run goes against all of Rodgers history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Who is this Kevin Clarke and why do we care what he has to say?
Ultimately, the answer as to whether this Rodgers-Hackett experiment works will be answered on the field 

Jet fans scour the internet to find anything negative and then rush here to post it.

The disease……..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Testaverde9819 said:

ESPN is irrelevant. There are ppl with podcasts in their mom's basement with more informative takes and solid football discussion. 

Ignore ESPN 

They have a point. LaFleur was probably the reason for the MVP's. Not Hackett. 

• Upvote 1

Jet fans scour the internet to find anything negative and then rush here to post it.
The disease……..

You gave up on the team after Rodgers went down last season captain. The disease gets us all.
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Don’t you have to give both guys some credit? Seems a little unfair to give ALL of the flowers to LaFleur and none to Hackett. 

So he went to Green Bay two years ago, Rodgers coming off of back to back MVP seasons and what he came away with was LaFleur wanted Rodgers to do things he wasn’t comfortable with doing?

This is his take from Rodgers with Hackett?  Not a word about the MVPs or Rodgers play up until his visit in GB.  What Hackett didn’t do

Or that Hackett and Rodgers were coming off of 3 seasons and not only back to back MVPs but 39 wins and 9 losses over those 3 years.  Three straight 13-3 seasons and Rodgers needed to throw more blind passes in his opinion.  

The new ESPN on air talent really adds a lot

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

Then why wasn’t it 3 MVPs in a row?  
Why didn’t Rodgers win it the years Hackett wasn’t there and why hasn’t Rodgers ever credited LaFleur for his MVP seasons but credited Hackett for his better play?  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

hackett hasn't done anything to dispel the notion that he sucks. there's really no great reason to have any faith in him being anything good. 

It's not about Hackett. It's about the combination of Hackett and Rodgers. And all we can go buy is the 3 year track record they have together and it's pretty damn good.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

It's not about Hackett. It's about the combination of Hackett and Rodgers. And all we can go buy is the 3 year track record they have together and it's pretty damn good.

for the record as long as rodgers is ok i think the offense will be good. i don't think hackett will have very much to do with that success

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

for the record as long as rodgers is ok i think the offense will be good. i don't think hackett will have very much to do with that success

Numbers don't lie. 2023 Hackett's offense was worst in the league.  AR is running the show and Hackett is the puppet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The disease……..

Yet you somehow missed that Garrett Wilson was OROY. You're a total phony.

• Haha 1