Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

yeah... it's all about our individual definitions of "jag" I see Cumberland Sudfield and Herndon (especially) as well below average NFL players. Well below starter capability. Below "Jag".  Not "just another guy" but a crappy other guy.  On the other hand,  I see Conklin as better.  Can start, doesn't mess up too many plays (see Herndon) and can hold fort.  = JAG IMO.

Fair enough.

In my mind, JAG is just another guy that a team should be actively looking to replace.  I think the Jets view Conklin as a perfectly adequate starter and not someone they are actively trying to replace.

One of the best qualities of a middling starter is availability.  Conklin has proven to be very durable and dependable in his time with the Jets.  Teams and quarterbacks value that type of dynamic especially out of a veteran.  This offense has a ton of young (Wilson, Breece, Corley, Allen, Gipson, Brownlee, Ruckert, etc.) and injury prone (Smith, Williams) talent.  Conklin as a durable and reliable vet fits in nicely.

It should be noted that Conklin is on the last year of his contract.  Depending on how things go with Ruckert, Yeboah, and Kuntz, it could be his last year here.

• Upvote 3

On 5/31/2024 at 4:00 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

-Saleh very, very involved with offense once again. Evidently a major focus for him to be monitoring all aspects of the team.

Saleh finally starting to realize (in year 4) that he was hired to be a HC, instead of just a DC?

And somewhere in an office overlooking the practice field, JD is on a reddit forum and calls his wife in a panic because he just read that he's supposed to be drafting talented players at positions of need. 

"WHAT THE F**K SHARON?! HAVE YOU SEEN THIS?! You told me to pick the kids that agree with you that Sex in the City was a good show!!" 

"🤷🏼‍♂️ Joey, I also told you that you weren't going bald and had great abs. What the f**k do I know? It was still a better plan than the ouija board you wanted to use."

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

You also had to be worried after watching Izzy play as a pro. Yes, he's fast but he has almost zero instincts and very often runs straight into his own blockers. I suspect he is toast.

He might well be toast, but he was actually one of the better performers during preseason last year.  I suspect the issues will fall more under his failures blocking and receiving and with ball security, than having "almost zero instincts and running straight into his own blockers."  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Hard to say tbqh, his opportunities have been few and far between given the snap-counts of Conklin and Uzomah.

Ruckert was targeted 22 times in 2023 and caught 16, for a 72.7%, better than Conklin (70.1%) and Uzomah (66.7%).

Ruckert YPC was 6.9 vs. Conklins 7.1, but again, both were used in specific ways in the scheme and with Wilson (or worse) throwing to them.

In fairtness, Ruckerts YAC was a meager 3.2 in 2023, vs. Conklins 4.0.

I'll just say I'd like to see more Ruckert.  He's cheaper, younger and I think, a better future TE, than Conklin is.  But his level of bigger play dynamic ability remains entirely TBD.

Ruckert has a career 24 targets.  Yes, he's going into his third season, but he's not "Vet" yet.

For reference, Conklin has 304 career targets, and was targeted 87 times per year for his last three seasons.  That's a Vet.

Fair enough, but what do you think Rodgers prefers vets?  I don't think it is knowing how many targets and catches they have in the NFL.  I think it relates to how much they have played together and building a rapport.  Rodgers has spent as much time throwing to Ruckert and Yeboah and even Kuntz as he has Conklin. 

I don't think this is the same thing as some rookie receivers joining the Packers and expecting to take targets from Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, or Davante Adams.   In fact, I think Rodgers was one fhe biggest proponents of Brownlee.  When Rodgers went down we heard much less about him, not we are hearing his name again.  Some of that might be camp hype, but some might be Rodgers being back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

You also had to be worried after watching Izzy play as a pro. Yes, he's fast but he has almost zero instincts and very often runs straight into his own blockers. I suspect he is toast.

He looked like a decent enough runner to me last preseason. On the field, he had major issues with pass protection, but that's not unheard of for young backs. Regardless, they clearly wanted to upgrade RB2 this offseason and they have.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If you dont understand what a JAG is, which you and most jet fans dont, there is no use in continuing the conversation.  Enjoy continuing to sound foolish.

In other news, the boys looking good in otas today.  If Rodgers stays healthy, this is a 13 win team and div champs.

Enjoy jet fans!!!!

How would you define Izzy?  JAG? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You really cant start a thread in these promising times w/o the disease creeping in and completely derailing it.  Every thread devolves into negativity.

funny how most of them are motivated by reacting to you.  Just an observation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You’ve say you’ve put the emphasis on his whole game while calling him a JAG.  When asked why your answer was lack of TDs.  Oh, and his being 
While listing every aspect of pass catching and claiming he doesn’t do any of them.including being one of the worst blockers.

Being targeted in the RZ, on the 19 say, for a ZW 3 yard passes to his laces doesn’t make anyone a JAG because he didn’t score

All this nonsense doesn’t change the fact that the Jets needed a LT more than they needed an undersized TE who would have contributed less to the blocking game.  

Did you read my post?  I've stated way more then just lack of TD's.  This is weird now.

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

Izzy gets an "incomplete".  Can't even tell due to lack of time on the field.  Doesn't bode well. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He looked like a decent enough runner to me last preseason. On the field, he had major issues with pass protection, but that's not unheard of for young backs. Regardless, they clearly wanted to upgrade RB2 this offseason and they have.  

5 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Izzy gets an "incomplete".  Can't even tell due to lack of time on the field.  Doesn't bode well. 

The little I have seen of Izzy as a Jet, I haven't been impressed with. He's just all speed with no plan, little or no wiggle, plus the ball security and blocking issues that have largely kept him off the field. He barely saw the field as a rookie, then the Jets draft two RBs the next year and add a veteran free agent that they seem to like in Cohen. None of this bodes well for Izzy's chances of emerging or even sticking this year.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He barely saw the field as a rookie, then the Jets draft two RBs the next year and add a veteran free agent that they seem to like in Cohen. None of this bodes well for Izzy's chances of emerging or even sticking this year.

If Cohen wins a KOR job (because there will probably be two) that will definitely not bode well for Izzy. Camp reports are saying that both Allen and Davis are doing well in the passing game, another area where Abanikanda is suspect. It’s win-win for Jets roster management if one guy can be a starting KOR and also the backup speed back. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

funny how most of them are motivated by reacting to you.  Just an observation. 

Dont pin the disease on me.  I havent mentioned Conky in months.

Only jet fans would call the likes of Conky, Pitts, Kincaid and Schultz JAGs.

Cowherd nailed it: “Jet fans are dopes.  They are clueless.”

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

This isnt based on this particular video, but rather, the collective videos we've seen from Rodgers...he doesnt look like your typical 40 year old QB w/ the helmet on, moving around and throwing.  He still looks rather spry.  IMO, different then the other 40 year old QB's we've seen in the NFL.  They were all statues and couldnt move to begin w/ and it only got worse w/ time.  Rodgers doesnt really seem to have that going on, even after a major injury.

Come on.  A three step drop isn't showing you anything.

It was clear watching him play two years ago that he had noticeably declined - it showed in his numbers as well.

Two years later and an achilles tear - tough to expect anything other than substantive continued decline.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Quick question:  was Micheal Clemons in the right spot?

I really wanted to emphasize that he had a good rep today.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Did you read my post?  I've stated way more then just lack of TD's.  This is weird now.

You say it’s more than a lack of TDs then harp on the lack of TDs.

Yes, very weird.  

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Come on.  A three step drop isn't showing you anything.

It was clear watching him play two years ago that he had noticeably declined - it showed in his numbers as well.

Two years later and an achilles tear - tough to expect anything other than substantive continued decline.

He looks as spry as ever, bouncing around and delivering dots! Arm like a cannon! Get ready for the revenge tour 👍 As misguided as you are, I promise I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He looks as spry as ever, bouncing around and delivering dots! Arm like a cannon! Get ready for the revenge tour 👍 As misguided as you are, I promise I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon!

13-4 and the division crown if rodgers is healthy.  And it wont be difficult either.

Get ready jet fans!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont pin the disease on me.  I havent mentioned Conky in months.

Only jet fans would call the likes of Conky, Pitts, Kincaid and Schultz JAGs.

Cowherd nailed it: “Jet fans are dopes.  They are clueless.”

Who are these guys, Conky, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!, etc.?  Could you stop queering players' names? 

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

13-4 and the division crown if rodgers is healthy.  And it wont be difficult either.

You are the captain of the train! Will you let these naysayers on as we roll to a title? I say you make them run behind it!

• Haha 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

You are the captain of the train! Will you let these naysayers on as we roll to a title? I say you make them run behind it!

They wont be around when we are winning.  They will be in hiding praying for negativity so they can return to the board.

• Haha 3

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Let's be objective.  Do you expect Rodgers to play the entire season?  The NY Jets are a wild card team for the moment, come down from the cloud you are riding! 

4 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Let's be objective.  Do you expect Rodgers to play the entire season?  The NY Jets are a wild card team for the moment, come down from the cloud you are riding! 

With this line and the players we have where he can dump the ball off quick, I think he will stay healthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson had to change his route and slow down and the ball still almost went over his head.  Hopefully Rodgers can get his touch back before the season starts...

Beautiful pass, expertly delivered!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Why wouldn’t you expect Rodgers to play the entire season given his history?  As if an Achilles injury is due to age and a death sentence for a QB?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson had to change his route and slow down and the ball still almost went over his head.  Hopefully Rodgers can get his touch back before the season starts...

About as ridiculous a post as you can write up to try and dismiss what we’re all looking at here.

If ZW ever made this throw he, 1 would still be here and 2 would have left you with wet pants. 

• Haha 2