Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?

19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Should have just signed Huff like 2 years ago. Like we all said to. 

When the GM says "sometimes a player chooses to bet on himself and wins" it suggests he tried just that, otherwise there are no choices from which the player to choose.

Huff made no secret of his desire to be a full-time starter. The Jets tried that once, for a while during Lawson's first injury, and it didn't go so well. He was meh, the defense sucked, and then he missed half the season after that. Plus fans don't always factor in that the coaches don't need to wait until live games to see what his best & worst attributes are, unlike us as fans who only see them in these narrow windows.

Heading into the 2023 offseason, Lawson was the guaranteed-money starter on one side, JFM on the other side, and they'd just drafted two more DEs in 2022. Huff could see he wasn't going to be offered a starting job here. So it seems likely Douglas did make that attempt, and then after Huff turned it down, they drafted McDonald weeks later. 

When Huff went on his 4-game tear in October '23, JD pulled out the old JD playbook of again seeking out an extension while the player was on fire like he'd never been before, and he also turned down trade offers for the player while he tried to work out an extension. Unlike with JFM and Griffin, this time the player felt he was close enough to reaching FA he was willing to risk 2 more months of not getting a serious injury. Same thing happened with Robbie Chosen/Anderson, btw. 

It's been said a few times. Sometimes players reach free agency. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I was reading the other day, the only 30+ year old JD has extended was Ryan Griffin, which back fired enormously on him.  He's also pretty much 0 for on the FA market sans DJ Reed.  Wonder how much of that is factoring into not extending him?

Hes not "0 for" in the FA market but the results havent been good.  Huge Ls on lawson and Tomlinson with nice signings in Reed and Quincy but yea, its not been good.

Anyway, the larger point about not signging 30 year olds is more that from what I see (and really like) with JD is that he is not going to give a FA his "last contract".  Hes going to sign guys who yes are younger and/or on shorter deals will continue to be motivated throughout their contract here.  Sometimes it doesnt work out (Lawson and Tomlinson) but you avoid the utter disaster signings like Trumaine Johnson. 

I dont know anything about Trumaine Johnson as a person but the NFL is a violent sport, and sometimes once these guys get life changing money, their effort changes.  Its a smart move to stick to guys playing towards one more contract rather then giving 28. year old CBs 5 year $72 million deals....

2 hours ago, slats said:

Huff wanted to walk, the Jets didn’t see him as a full time player, and they have McDonald to step into the designated pass rusher role, so they let him go. Reddick replaces JFM, whose contract they no longer wanted to pay. 

Of course his contract situation was discussed and is probably still being discussed. The Eagles traded a top level edge for a future third round pick specifically because he was going to be a PITA to sign. I would imagine conversations are ongoing, with a couple conflicting visions on the table. He’s under contract for this year, so I’m not terribly worried about it. Worst case scenario, he could be a franchise tag candidate next year, but I’m not too concerned about it getting to that, either. 

You would think that next year they would let him walk for a comp pick.  It would probably equate to the 2026 3rd they are giving up.  Of course, the way they handled the 2025 comp picks may mean that isn't the consideration, but who knows?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

no way he agrees to this deal.  basically tacking on a year at $16MM, with only 8MM guaranteed after this year?  seems too low.

$32MM, $24MM guaranteed.  $16MM a year,  (8MM next year guaranteed).  

My understanding is that Reddick has 0 guaranteed money right now.  So a jump from 0 to 22 is quite big.

An injury could derail his career and earnings potential big time.  This is why an extension, slightly below market value, but with big gains in guaranteed money helps both sides.

• Upvote 2

On 6/4/2024 at 9:42 AM, Warfish said:

Outside of catastrophic injury or off-field crime, I try real hard not to "worry" about anything NFL or Jets related in May, or June or July, especially contract/front-office stuff.

When we get to August/September, and preseason, then I start getting frothy as needed.  Today?  Nah.

Anyway, isn't the phenom that is Gumby McDonald gonna blow us all away this year and validate his pick?  With QW and JJ too.  So why worry about the D-line with all those amazing 1sts playing?

Don't forget this guy. Ready to break necks. 😁

Rookie Micheal Clemons bringing 'violence' to Jets defense

This is the first time I've seen this written anywhere and it puts things in a litle bit of a different light IMO:

Attention breeds drama. The Jets want as little of that as possible. Their goal: Fly as under the radar as a team in New York possibly can. Mission almost accomplished. They were dealt their first storm on Tuesday.

Reddick, among the team’s biggest offseason acquisitions, is officially a holdout.

The Eagles were not willing to pay Reddick, who will turn 30 next month, that deal. Instead, they signed 26-year-old Bryce Huff to a contract worth $17 million annually and shipped Reddick to the Jets.

Contract-hungry players holding out is nothing new. What’s surprising about the Jets-Reddick situation is the team felt they and the player were on the same page at the time of the trade. The Jets made things clear to Reddick: They would not rip up his contract before the season. They directly communicated that while adjustments could be discussed (adding incentives based on performances to his current deal), there would not be an extension. Reddick would play out the deal, and if his sack production continued, he’d receive the salary he coveted as a free agent (either with the Jets or another team) after 2024. The two sides would reassess after the season if Reddick wanted to continue to play for the Jets.

Reddick was on board. He had a tremendous visit with the team, sources told SNY, when he showed up to take his physical and finalize the trade from Philadelphia. Additional sources informed SNY that Reddick told members of the team he would be in attendance for the offseason program (including organized team activities) and minicamp on his current contract.

Then, something changed.

Head coach Robert Saleh said at last week’s final media-open organized team activity that he hadn't had contact with Reddick up to that point, although the Jets knew what he was doing. He then said he expected he would attend mandatory minicamp.

Reddick was the only player not in attendance for Monday’s internal media day. He then no-showed for the start of on-field drills on Tuesday, as first reported by SNY. Reddick forgoed a $250,000 workout bonus by skipping the offseason program. He is subject to fines after skipping mandatory minicamp.

The Jets do not know when Reddick plans on showing up. They believe he will be there for training camp, but because of the lack of communication, nothing is certain. Reddick denied comment on his contract or intentions when approached by the New York Post at a recent football camp.

Despite the optics, the Jets aren’t overly concerned that Reddick’s absence will impact his on-field production this season. This is not a player whose physical shape is ever questioned, and they know he is working out on his own. He will return to form (double-digit sacks each of the last four seasons, 27 the last two years) whenever he arrives and be a dynamic force on their attack-first defensive line. Reddick will join Will McDonald, Quinnen Williams and Jermaine Johnson to complete one of the NFL’s more talented defensive fronts.

The Jets still believe Reddick will be a mentor and leader on their defense, too. Their continued praise of his character is genuine.

They’re simply awaiting his arrival — and as surprised as anyone else he’s not here yet.

Where Jets, Haason Reddick go from here as holdout officially begins (sny.tv)

I'm not really digging the fact that Reddick, apparently, went back on his word to the team.

17 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

What "relationship" did the Jets have w/ Reddick where they thought love would prevail over paying someone money for sacrificing their body ?

It’s the Jets’ spin that they thought Reddick would play on his current deal and now Reddick has snookered them unawares. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s the Jets’ spin that they thought Reddick would play on his current deal and now Reddick has snookered them unawares. 

He is not guaranteed.  I don't think anybody ever expected him to show up for anything that wasn't mandatory.  The one thing that we might not have counted on is how the media and fans get in a frenzy and make this sh*t a thing that creates issues and how Reddick's camp might try to capitalize by getting a new deal.  Honestly, if anybody was going to hold out, or no show, Reddick is the perfect one.  If he doesn't play it's no great loss and he'll have to show up eventually.  He's not leaving $14M on the table.  They gave up the equivalent of a 2024 5th rounder, so it might have been worth the risk even if he told them to pound sand when they spoke to him.  

Not the best look at the present, but it beats reading about Rodgers blisters for another 3 months.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He is not guaranteed.  I don't think anybody ever expected him to show up for anything that wasn't mandatory.  The one thing that we might not have counted on is how the media and fans get in a frenzy and make this sh*t a thing that creates issues and how Reddick's camp might try to capitalize by getting a new deal.  Honestly, if anybody was going to hold out, or no show, Reddick is the perfect one.  If he doesn't play it's no great loss and he'll have to show up eventually.  He's not leaving $14M on the table.  They gave up the equivalent of a 2024 5th rounder, so it might have been worth the risk even if he told them to pound sand when they spoke to him.  

Not the best look at the present, but it beats reading about Rodgers blisters for another 3 months.

Strikes me as short-sighted because you knew that he was going to want the new deal before you traded for him, and now you’re just gonna let him twist in the wind all summer for what? If Reddick has good representation, he has Reddick fake a hamstring the first day of camp that keeps him out until the games start. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well everyone knew he ideally wanted a new deal (hence the Eagles making the move they did). This is less than encouraging, but again it's still the first half of June, and I've doubts his season's success or failure will be at all determined by participation in minicamp.

What’s surprising about the Jets-Reddick situation is the team felt they and the player were on the same page at the time of the trade. The Jets made things clear to Reddick: They would not rip up his contract before the season. They directly communicated that while adjustments could be discussed (adding incentives based on performances to his current deal), there would not be an extension. Reddick would play out the deal, and if his sack production continued, he’d receive the salary he coveted as a free agent (either with the Jets or another team) after 2024. The two sides would reassess after the season if Reddick wanted to continue to play for the Jets.

Reddick was on board. He had a tremendous visit with the team, sources told SNY, when he showed up to take his physical and finalize the trade from Philadelphia. Additional sources informed SNY that Reddick told members of the team he would be in attendance for the offseason program (including organized team activities) and minicamp on his current contract.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Strikes me as short-sighted because you knew that he was going to want the new deal before you traded for him, and now you’re just gonna let him twist in the wind all summer for what? If Reddick has good representation, he has Reddick fake a hamstring the first day of camp that keeps him out until the games start. 

The in-between that might make him happy (or happier, anyway) even in the absence of the extension he truly wants:

1. Fully guarantee the base $14.5MM (this one's easy; it's not like they're cutting him at the end of August)

and

2. Then add incentives to the current deal.

Set it up as LTBE for $3 million more if he reaches 11 sacks again. If he finishes with 10.5 sacks or fewer he doesn't get it, and the Jets would get a $2.5MM cap credit ($2.5MM higher cap ceiling, like carryover cap space) in 2025. 

On top of that, they can further slide it up $500K/sack thereafter or something similar to that; so if he reaches 16 again then he'd be at $20MM for the season, and the Jets should be plenty happy paying $20MM for the first 14+ sack season by a NYJ since Gastineau 40 years earlier. 

The obvious issue with that is - in this market - $20MM is (amazingly) underpayment for a 16-sack season, but still it'd be a big bump from a non-guaranteed $14.5MM, and the whole idea with compromise is both sides give a little. 

In theory I like performance incentives like any fan would, but the thing I don't love about stats incentives, though, is sometimes it's in the team's interest to rest him -- particularly as it gets late into the season or late in a game where further sacks are meaningless to the team. Whether they don't need him to reach incentives because they're already eliminated, or if they've clinched their postseason spot & they don't want him risking injury unnecessarily as they're about to head into the playoffs, just-missing any incentives could backfire. 

It's actually one of the things I liked about the incentive structure they did with Smith: it's not an all-or-none bonus, but rather a sliding scale where the more he plays the more they pay him.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The in-between that might make him happy (or happier, anyway) even in the absence of the extension he truly wants:

1. Fully guarantee the base $14.5MM (this one's easy; it's not like they're cutting him at the end of August)

and

2. Then add incentives to the current deal.

Set it up as LTBE for $3 million more if he reaches 11 sacks again. If he finishes with 10.5 sacks or fewer he doesn't get it, and the Jets would get a $2.5MM cap credit ($2.5MM higher cap ceiling, like carryover cap space) in 2025. 

On top of that, they can further slide it up $500K/sack thereafter or something similar to that; so if he reaches 16 again then he'd be at $20MM for the season, and the Jets should be plenty happy paying $20MM for the first 14+ sack season by a NYJ since Gastineau 40 years earlier. 

The obvious issue with that is - in this market - $20MM is (amazingly) underpayment for a 16-sack season, but still it'd be a big bump from a non-guaranteed $14.5MM, and the whole idea with compromise is both sides give a little. 

In theory I like performance incentives like any fan would, but the thing I don't love about stats incentives, though, is sometimes it's in the team's interest to rest him -- particularly as it gets late into the season or late in a game where further sacks are meaningless to the team. Whether they don't need him to reach incentives because they're already eliminated, or if they've clinched their postseason spot & they don't want him risking injury unnecessarily as they're about to head into the playoffs, just-missing any incentives could backfire. 

It's actually one of the things I liked about the incentive structure they did with Smith: it's not an all-or-none bonus, but rather a sliding scale where the more he plays the more they pay him.

I had started a post earlier where I posited that the endgame would be that Douglas just gives him a bump this year via performance bonuses but leaves them open to revisiting the deal next year but then I thought that I would end up saying something ignorant about cap allocation that you would catch and dunk on me from space and I chickened out. lol

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, if he John Riggins this mother****er it is fine with me.  Show up on Sundays and get your sacks.  The main difference for me would be that I wouldn't want him back for 2025.  I would be discussing sh*t like @Sperm Edwards is suggesting to show "good faith" but I don't really give much of a **** about him.  He should probably be happy.  He is in the system that made Bryce Huff $50M.  Can you imagine what it could do for him? 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Whoops!

The report I posted from SNY yesterday, completely contradicts this.

You tell me which one is right.

I guess we can assume Cimini is right, since Reddick is a no-show.

I'm starting to have flash-backs of Mevis.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets gonna Jet

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

You know as well as I do that man is looking for the nearest exit to get the **** out of dodge 🤣

He was all set to attend mini camp until he heard Rodgers was skipping it. That's when he said, "F@ck it."

• Haha 2

You know you have to give this guy a contract when you traded for him.

He knows you need him to play and so you have to sign him and you have absolutely no leverage.

He also knows if the Jets flop again your fat ass is done here.

Get it done fat boy!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TBJ said:

You know you have to give this guy a contract when you traded for him.

He knows you need him to play and so you have to sign him and you have absolutely no leverage.

He also knows if the Jets flop again your fat ass is done here.

Get it done fat boy!

Sic your dog after him.

20 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Hello @Haason7Reddick & welcome to the New York Jets.

You might consider talking to the NY media, the next time they approach you & ask for an interview.

You are the direct cause of all of this social media app & news outlet foolery, because you didn't take the opportunity to speak for yourself, when it was presented to you - knucklehead.

• The Crusher changed the title to Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?