Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

What on earth are you talking about?  This wasn't a "voidable" year.  His contract had three void years.  Those years start in 2025.  2024 was not guaranteed to protect the team if he underperformed.  He did not.  The Jets don't have to give him a new deal, but he has to play or he will be fined $50,000 a day, plus a game check for each preseason game.  

You are claiming this deal was supposed to be renegotiated?  Where did you get that?  If Philly told him that, he is at least as at fault as the Jets for believing he would show up for camp.  If you want to argue that it isn't equitable?  Fine.  The Jets hold the cards here.  This isn't an indispensable piece.  He is an afterthought, not Bosa or Chris Jones.  If they bend over and give him $50M for 2 right now it would be worse than that sh*t they did to get Rodgers here.  We hold the cards, stop getting so ******* antsy and wait it out.

I'm not antsy.  The Jets aren't obligated to pay him and he's not obligated to play.  It's really that simply.  He's salary isn't guaranteed.  Reddick has made 51 million dollars in his NFL career.  He can do whatever he wants.  If I had made 51 million dollars by the time I was Reddick's age there isn't a person on earth who could hold cards against me.  I would be calling every time.

I have no doubt JD told them they would get something done before TC.  

Fines and game checks.  Really.   There going to make a deal and not because the Jets have leverage.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm not antsy.  The Jets aren't obligated to pay him and he's not obligated to play.  It's really that simply.  He's salary isn't guaranteed.  Reddick has made 51 million dollars in his NFL career.  He can do whatever he wants.  If I had made 51 million dollars by the time I was Reddick's age there isn't a person on earth who could hold cards against me.  I would be calling every time.

Fines and game checks.  Really.   There going to make a deal and not because the Jets have leverage.

Reddick likely wants something around 25 mill per year. If he were willing to play on his current deal he’d still be in Philly. The Jets decided to absorb this problem for reasons that aren’t really clear.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Reddick likely wants something around 25 mill per year. If he were willing to play on his current deal he’d still be in Philly. The Jets decided to absorb this problem for reasons that aren’t really clear.

It sounds like JD told him he would re up him in that range but they wanted to see him produce first before tearing up the current deal.  I suspect he felt cornered and agreed and has been boiling ever since.  He's productive and 15 unguaranteed is way below market.   He's still in his prime but nearing the end of his prime.  He's probably pretty pissed off. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize Reddick is an OLB while Huff plays EDGE, right?

Seriously?  I think they are both DPR and EDGE in name.  In fact, he was listed as DE in Philly.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Semantics, as they're both dedicated outside pass-rushers. 

OLB, DE, 'Edge', all basically the same thing in the modern NFL, playing (mostly) the same way from the same few spots.

i.e. a distinction without a difference.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, not semantics.  He’s an OLB who is used in coverage

If you are using him in coverage you are making a mistake.   A Matt Patricia level mistake.  I read that they used him in coverage 7 times in one game at the end of the year and that was his career high.  I think saying he is "used in coverage" is a bit much.

36 minutes ago, JetsMan57 said:

Reddick is an OLBer in a 3-4 or hybrid defense. The Jets are classic base 4-3. Reddick is not playing OLBer for us. 

I agree that Reddick is not playing OLB, but the Jets base, like most teams now, is a 4-2-5 nickel.  I think 7 DBs played more snaps than the Jets 3rd LB (Sherwood) though I guess some of these places list Johnson and McDonald as LB. 

FWIW, I think Reddick will be used similarly to Johnson and McDonald.  I also think Philly played a similar set with  Reddick listed as OLB or DE with Sweat, Cox and Jordan Davis up front with Dean and Cunningham at LB and 5 DBs. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It sounds like JD told him he would re up him in that range but they wanted to see him produce first before tearing up the current deal.  I suspect he felt cornered and agreed and has been boiling ever since.  He's productive and 15 unguaranteed is way below market.   He's still in his prime but nearing the end of his prime.  He's probably pretty pissed off. 

The Jets (JD) should fully guarantee his salary for this year, while waiting to see him "produce" in regular season games.

This shows good faith on the Jets part and guarantees Reddick, he'll still get paid if he gets hurt.

This should be enough to get him to report to training camp.

If it's not, well then "Houston, we have a problem".

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If we could actually hear from Douglas maybe he could clarify what his rationale was. But we never hear from Douglas.

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The Jets (JD) should fully guarantee his salary for this year, while waiting to see him "produce" in regular season games.

This shows good faith on the Jets part and guarantees Reddick, he'll still get paid if he gets hurt.

This should be enough to get him to report.

His salary is fully guaranteed this year no?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

This should be enough to get him to report.

That makes sense.  It's a good faith move and allows them to continue to negiotate a longer term deal that benifits both sides.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So he made $51M?  How much have the Jets made?  If he wants to make any more he's going to have to show up.  You don't think that fines and game checks matter?  Check how many players have actually held out under this CBA. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So he made $51M?  How much have the Jets made?  If he wants to make any more he's going to have to show up.  You don't think that fines and game checks matter?  Check how many players have actually held out under this CBA. 

How many players have ungauranteed salaries who have a value in excess of 20 million per and are still in their prime.

I may be wrong, but if what I read from his contract is correct non guaranteed $$$ this season.

Just wait till September and cut him.

Sure someone will sign him but he will be useless for year 1 and probably get paid less.

Eat the 3rd rounder the Jets have done stupider things.

Don’t throw good money after bad.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I may be wrong, but if what I read from his contract is correct non guaranteed $$$ this season.
Sure someone will sign him but he will be useless for year 1 and probably get paid less.

He had 38 sacks in the past 3 seasons. If the Jets cut him, Joe Douglas should be fired immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Our fanbase is the best 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I mean you don’t cut a top 5 pass rusher 

you sign him

or

you trade him 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

I did not read all 7 pages so is the theme we hate Reddick?

is jd a fool and somehow screwed this all up again?

mist important is does Reddick stay in nj and at the facility everyday during the bye or does he go home or on vacation?

He’s going to Utah and dress like a Quaker prolly 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Pass rushers are one of the positions I don't worry about in camp .. the guy won't miss game day checks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That is how I feel. I wish he was here but literally can show up a few days before and not miss a beat. Not ideal but most of the plays are pass plays. Get the QB.

Won't take long to figure out his responsibilities on running plays.

But he better show up in sick shape whenever he gets here. He is risking millions.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

To be fair, we do NOT know what he / his agent told the jets before the trade.

We can only reasonably assume there was either (1) some form of miscommunication, (2) an outright lie from the player, or (3) a failed game of chess by JD/Saleh.

Unless Reddick outright lied about his intentions - he might have - another misplay from our leadership.  

Didn’t scroll through every post so maybe someone else mentioned it but I remember seeing  reports that the jets spoke to Reddick before making the trade and told him they couldn’t extend him. Reddicks contract wasn’t guaranteed and that they’d work something out for this year only. Reddick then changed his mind a few weeks after the deal and is now seeking a new contract.

in my opinion, this guy isn’t getting a big extension from this team. He’ll get a 3-5 mill pay increase and the jets will guarantee his contract for this year. Judging by what we’ve seen to this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if woody has put any extensions / future impacting deals on hold until this group can show that they deserve to be here next year.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Frank Clark? He got a new contract with KC once they traded for him. Not sure who Ford is

Yeah, usually the new deal is framed up before the trade is consummated. I get that Douglas thinks he has all the leverage here, but Reddick walked away from the Eagles with $32 mil in his pocket. 

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade