Non Jets training camp news around the league.....

On 8/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

You are proving my point.  Pointing out 1 or 2 guys in league of 1,000 players who can do something is very unique.  And bowers has more talent in his left pinky than taysom hill.

Isaiah Likely liked up inline, slot, wide and in the backfield.  He's a nice player, but I don't think he is super unique.  Hell, I'm pretty sure that Sean Ryan did it too.  I don't think defensive coordinators around the league were losing sleep on account of the nightmares and all. 

• Upvote 2

JJ McCarthy done for the season - Sam Darnold will be starting for the Vikings.

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said J.J. McCarthy will undergo knee surgery.

The team had been cagey with McCarthy’s supposed knee soreness following his outstanding preseason debut against the Raiders. McCarthy will require surgery on a torn meniscus. O’Connell said the severity of the injury is not yet known, and he offered no timeline for the rookie’s return to action. This all but guarantees Sam Darnold will start the regular season under center for Minnesota. Darnold completed four of eight throws for 59 yards in the team’s preseason opener against Vegas.

Injury
7h ago
Source: Andrew Kramer

22 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:
JJ McCarthy done for the season - Sam Darnold will be starting for the Vikings.

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said J.J. McCarthy will undergo knee surgery.

The team had been cagey with McCarthy’s supposed knee soreness following his outstanding preseason debut against the Raiders. McCarthy will require surgery on a torn meniscus. O’Connell said the severity of the injury is not yet known, and he offered no timeline for the rookie’s return to action. This all but guarantees Sam Darnold will start the regular season under center for Minnesota. Darnold completed four of eight throws for 59 yards in the team’s preseason opener against Vegas.

Injury
7h ago

He’s out for the year with a meniscus tear?

Edit just saw the difference between a “snip” and a tear.

28 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Injury
7h ago

Sam Darnold fantasy sleeper 

39 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sam Darnold fantasy sleeper 

Darney will be benched or hurt by week 6.  He is absolute garbage.  Justin Jefferson is going to blow a gasket playing with him.  Pure entertainment this will be.

Still making rookie mistakes like staring down a receiver so a linebacker can pick him off and go the distance.  Pathetic.

• Haha 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Darney will be benched or hurt by week 6.  He is absolute garbage.  Justin Jefferson is going to blow a gasket playing with him.  Pure entertainment this will be.

Still making rookie mistakes like staring down a receiver so a linebacker can pick him off and go the distance.  Pathetic.

Yet he’s starting week 1 and Zach is, well, yeah 

McCarthy was over drafted and sucks, at least he now has an injury excuse for how his career will go.

I'm happy for Darnold, I do not think Minny is that great but jefferson is special and O'Connell is a good O coach.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darney 😂😂😂😂

I’m not joking. You are by far my favorite poster here… it’s not even close.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 12:12 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Zamir white is a very talented player and should have a really good year at rb.

What is with the weird raider hate from jet fans?

Most of you were salivating over dead end derek 2 years ago.

It’s the nonstop Raiderholic essays 

47 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Can you call anyone by their real name? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

The Patriots will go as far as the D takes them.  The OL is a mess at T.

You guys have no wide receivers.  Brissett is decent but he’s really just a backup/placeholder.  Maye is not the guy.

Antonio Gibson might be the pats best receiver 

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He might be absolute garbage, but he is 1-0 against the NY Jets in regular season.

9 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You guys have no wide receivers.  Brissett is decent but he’s really just a backup/placeholder.  Maye is not the guy.

Antonio Gibson might be the pats best receiver 

I am going to push back on this.

We have receivers.  We have no true number 1.  Demario Douglas a pleasant surprise from last year.  He is having a real good camp.  Including yesterday as one of the few bright spots on offense against the Eagles.  Bourne is a solid 2.  Polk and Baker seem like prototypical Packer draft picks.  Cobb.   Adams.  Nelson.  A few of the productive WRs that the Packers drafted through the years.  All drafted after the first round.  Jayden Reed, drafted last year, might be the latest.  Polk and Baker have displayed signs they might follow that mold.  It is not a Top 10 WR corps, but it is a solid corp.

I 100% agree with your assessment of Jacoby.  He is solid.  That is it.  I will push back on the Maye assessment.  I would say he is trending to be 'the guy'.  Do not fall for the sensationalist headlines.  Last week there were headlines that "Milton has a stronger arm than Maye" and "Maye struggles".  Even yesterday, "Maye sacked six times".  They never provide context.  Yes, Maye was sacked six times.  No one mentioned Jacoby was under the same pressure and Maye did not throw an INT during the 11v11.  Or more importantly, the OL struggled as a whole.  There has been nothing so suggest he is not the guy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

We have receivers.  We have no true number 1.  Demario Douglas a pleasant surprise from last year.  He is having a real good camp.  Including yesterday as one of the few bright spots on offense against the Eagles.  Bourne is a solid 2.  Polk and Baker seem like prototypical Packer draft picks.  Cobb.   Adams.  Nelson.  A few of the productive WRs that the Packers drafted through the years.  All drafted after the first round.  Jayden Reed, drafted last year, might be the latest.  Polk and Baker have displayed signs they might follow that mold.  It is not a Top 10 WR corps, but it is a solid corp.

I 100% agree with your assessment of Jacoby.  He is solid.  That is it.  I will push back on the Maye assessment.  I would say he is trending to be 'the guy'.  Do not fall for the sensationalist headlines.  Last week there were headlines that "Milton has a stronger arm than Maye" and "Maye struggles".  Even yesterday, "Maye sacked six times".  They never provide context.  Yes, Maye was sacked six times.  No one mentioned Jacoby was under the same pressure and Maye did not throw an INT during the 11v11.  Or more importantly, the OL struggled as a whole.  There has been nothing so suggest he is not the guy.  

The Pats will be playing for the overall #1 pick.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Injury
7h ago

The source you are quoting from doesn't say he's done for the season. He may only be out a few weeks, may be months (but not necessarily the whole season)

10 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Hey, who edited my post?  LOL

Nobody

16 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, Baker's a talent but a headcase, and Polk could well be the next "how did this guy last that long in the draft". Wouldn't surprise me if one of the two of them pops, but no, Bourne isn't a "solid 2" - you've got a bunch of No. 3 WRs over there and are looking for a 1 and hoping Douglas can be a solid 2

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The source you are quoting from doesn't say he's done for the season. He may only be out a few weeks, may be months (but not necessarily the whole season)

Nobody

Yeah, Baker's a talent but a headcase, and Polk could well be the next "how did this guy last that long in the draft". Wouldn't surprise me if one of the two of them pops, but no, Bourne isn't a "solid 2" - you've got a bunch of No. 3 WRs over there and are looking for a 1 and hoping Douglas can be a solid 2

McCarthy will require surgery on a torn meniscus. 

The severity of the injury is not yet known, and he offered no timeline for the rookie’s return to action. 

Done for the season - book it.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

The Pats will be playing for the overall #1 pick.

Without a doubt.   We will find out Week 2 (home vs. Seattle) if 0-17 is on the table.  After that game, there are a few games you can talk yourself into possibly winning.  Only one of those, Indy is at home.  

55 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

My SWAG is that the Patriots and Wolfe will follow the Packers' model.  Draft the solid 6 foot something 210+ lbs WR.  Hope you get a Davante Adams, but will be fine with Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb production.  Bourne is a 2.  He was a solid 2 in 2021 opposite Meyers.  2022 he was in Patricia's doghouse.  Last year, he was on pace for a career year before tearing his knee.  Demario looks to fill the shoes of the Browm, Branch, Welker and Edelman role.  Something Bill never bothered filling.  

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

We have another Raider90210 here all of a sudden declaring that their scrubs are good.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have another Raider90210 here all of a sudden declaring that their scrubs are good.

3 years and a knee surgery removed from his career high 55 catch season, Kendrick Bourne is poised to take the league by storm. In this essay I will, 

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

You are proving my point.  Pointing out 1 or 2 guys in league of 1,000 players who can do something is very unique.  And bowers has more talent in his left pinky than taysom hill.

I’m convinced you don’t watch football. Hill is one of the best all-around athletes in the league. He’s capable of playing 3-4 entirely different positions. There are times where he changes the game. 

Bowers projects to be very good. That can be true without uninformed comparison.

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your attention is invited to my post where I said 0-17 is on the table.  Soooo.......

34 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

3 years and a knee surgery removed from his career high 55 catch season, Kendrick Bourne is poised to take the league by storm. In this essay I will, 

You are right.  Breece never came back from his ACL injury.  🤨 

I never said that.  I said he is a 2.  If healthy, is it impossible for him to replicate 55-800-5 or what he was on pace for last year 74-812-8?  No.

I am not saying he is going to have Tyreek or CeeDee numbers.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

McCarthy will require surgery on a torn meniscus. 

The severity of the injury is not yet known, and he offered no timeline for the rookie’s return to action. 

Done for the season - book it.

I mean, should I take your medical opinion or should I go with the reportage from Schefter, who said it's either a trim or a complete repair, which could mean only weeks or possibly "a whole lot longer"

11 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I mean, should I take your medical opinion or should I go with the reportage from Schefter, who said it's either a trim or a complete repair, which could mean only weeks or possibly "a whole lot longer"

Your call.

I'm just playing the odds here, when is the last time you've heard of someone returning from surgery on a torn meniscus, in the same season that they had the surgery?

I'm sure there are a few cases where this may have happened (although I don't recall any) but I'd say those are the exceptions and not the rule.

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

My SWAG is that the Patriots and Wolfe will follow the Packers' model.  Draft the solid 6 foot something 210+ lbs WR.  Hope you get a Davante Adams, but will be fine with Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb production.  Bourne is a 2.  He was a solid 2 in 2021 opposite Meyers.  2022 he was in Patricia's doghouse.  Last year, he was on pace for a career year before tearing his knee.  Demario looks to fill the shoes of the Browm, Branch, Welker and Edelman role.  Something Bill never bothered filling.  

Bourne's 2021 season netted a grand total of 55 receptions on 70 targets. For comparison, here's the target profiles of the AFC's other No. 2 targets that year:

Bal (Brown): 146

KC (Kelce): 134 

LAC (Williams): 129

Buf (Beasely): 112

Mia (Gesicki): 112

Cin (Higgins): 110

Pit (Claypool): 105

Jax (Shenault): 100

Oak (Waller): 93

Den (Fant): 90

NYJ (Crowder): 71 (in 12 games)

Ind (Pascal): 69

Cle (Austin Hooper): 61

Hou (Collins): 60

Ten (Westbrook-Ikhine): 57

Bourne wasn't a "solid No. 2" - he was a bottom-barrel guy, on the level of a Jamison Crowder or Zach Pascal. Someone who desperately needs to be upgraded, not someone you want as one of your top pair.