Jets Sign QB Ben Bryant; Update - Bryant Released

#Jets roster moves:

They placed DE Haason Reddick (contract holdout) on the reserve/did not report list.

They signed QB Ben Bryant, who played college ball at Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan and Northwestern.

4 QBs on the roster: Rodgers, Taylor, Peasley and Bryant. Travis on NFI list.

#Jets placed DE Haason Reddick on the reserve/did not report list. Reddick is holding out while seeking a new contract.

NY also signed former Northwestern QB Ben Bryant. He also spent time at Cincinnati and Eastern Michigan.

Bryant was a QB mini camp try out at rookie camp 

• Upvote 2

They had to bring in another camp body at QB.  I was thinking it might be a veteran, but they must like Bryant enough to go with him.

This sort of suggests that they think Travis might be healthy enough to play in the preseason at some point?

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Does anyone know when Jordan Travis will be healthy enough to start his six month long stopover in the NFL before he ends up on the Frankfurt Galaxy? 

The Jets had an interesting draft. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

#Jets roster moves:

They placed DE Haason Reddick (contract holdout) on the reserve/did not report list.

They signed QB Ben Bryant, who played college ball at Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan and Northwestern.

4 QBs on the roster: Rodgers, Taylor, Peasley and Bryant. Travis on NFI list.

#Jets placed DE Haason Reddick on the reserve/did not report list. Reddick is holding out while seeking a new contract.

NY also signed former Northwestern QB Ben Bryant. He also spent time at Cincinnati and Eastern Michigan.

Bryant was a QB mini camp try out at rookie camp 

If you would allow me to put my tin foil hat on for a moment, I fell like the Jets are taking such an opposite approach with QB  than what they did with Zach.  I for one am excited by it. Seems like the approach is, for lack of a better term, brains over brawn. With Zach, it was mesmerizing how effortlessly he could throw the ball 50 yards in the air and land on a dime. I am guilty of being enamored by his pro day and once we drafted him, I gave him my full support. (I was hoping to trade out, gain picks, and give Darnald another chance while devloping a later drafted QB). As we painfully witnessed, Zach's talent rarely translated on the field and as a locker room presence and team leader Zach failed miserably. Seems like they are going in a much different direction with Travis, Peasely and Bryant. All team leaders, all smart on and off the field, and their short comings seem to be off the charts athleticism. You could also argue that at this point of his career, Rodgers is more cerebral than athletic. I believe I read that JD wanted a pipeline at QB. He found success with other positions (See Huff, Adams, Sherwood, Yeboa, and the  Cb room) but as we all know, QB is the most difficult one to get right. Hoping they learned from the Zach experience and this new approach is the way to go. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, I get it, it's dificult to give Zach any credit. But if there was a positive I thought in desperation times he could throw the long ball accurately. Just difficult giving him credit when we watched him throw the 3 yarder at our reciever's feet.  

Just now, Copernicus said:

Yeah, I get it, it's dificult to give Zach any credit. But if there was a positive I thought in desperation times he could throw the long ball accurately. Just difficult giving him credit when we watched him throw the 3 yarder at our reciever's feet.  

He could throw the ball far, but accurately? I don't think I've ever seen him hit a receiver in stride on a deep ball. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He could throw the ball far, but accurately? I don't think I've ever seen him hit a receiver in stride on a deep ball. 

Garrett in Dallas, the KC game to Ruckert, I can remember a hail Mary to Garrett(?) that was right on the money and maybe Conklin ran into him for a drop. There are a few others, but cant remember and not worth trying. Just pulling at straws. My point is that we have changed our approach and Zach is a memory, moving on,  and hopefully we've learned something from it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The numbers may or may not support this, but it certainly seemed his accuracy was better on deeper routes, especially in the middle of the field, than they ever were on the shorter/timing/flats/easy type or touch-based passes.  But overall his accuracy was indeed garbage, no question.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And the same people rush to the board to be first to express their strident fake-mad at their fellow fans for mostly joking about meaningless 5th string journeyman QB signings.

To insinuate that @Matt39 @T0mShane are humorous and take these matters lightly is a hard diss burn ouchie and probably maybe a personal attack @The Crusher

p.s. fake-mad is good, but what do think about "mock outrage"? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Does anyone know when Jordan Travis will be healthy enough to start his six month long stopover in the NFL before he ends up on the Frankfurt Galaxy? 

Not a fan of the pick, huh? Arm strength? 

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Not a fan of the pick, huh? Arm strength? 

The problem is that his injury is severe enough that many have said it could be a true red shirt year where he sees no real action even in training camp.  And with rodgers saying he may not play beyond 2024, it means the jets will either draft another qb high or bring in a veteran if the team can compete again, so where does travis fit into the qb pecking order?  I get he was never intended to start here, and stranger things have happened, but with a new regime next year, there’s probably another high qb drafted, and if rodgers and tyrod return, Jordan is again #3.  And his injury must have been terrible and i wonder if it’s expected to make a complete recovery

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem is that his injury is severe enough that many have said it could be a true red shirt year where he sees no real action even in training camp.  And with rodgers saying he may not play beyond 2024, it means the jets will either draft another qb high or bring in a veteran if the team can compete again, so where does travis fit into the qb pecking order?  I get he was never intended to start here, and stranger things have happened, but with a new regime next year, there’s probably another high qb drafted, and if rodgers and tyrod return, Jordan is again #3.  And his injury must have been terrible and i wonder if it’s expected to make a complete recovery

Travis is a baller. Don't count him out. And why do you feel there will be a new regime next year? More than likely JD will be extended.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Travis is a baller. Don't count him out. And why do you feel there will be a new regime next year? More than likely JD will be extended.

Not saying there will be a new regime necessarily but if there is a new regime there’s probably a high drafted qb, and if there isn’t a new regime, either rodgers/vet qb are the 1/2, or if rodgers decides to retire they’d bring in a veteran probably and may still draft a qb.  So barring multiple injuries it’s tough to see how Jordan sees the field, and while i appreciate his skill set, he’s still a bit undersized and his injury seems like it could be a lingering concern.

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not saying there will be a new regime necessarily but if there is a new regime there’s probably a high drafted qb, and if there isn’t a new regime, either rodgers/vet qb are the 1/2, or if rodgers decides to retire they’d bring in a veteran probably and may still draft a qb.  So barring multiple injuries it’s tough to see how Jordan sees the field, and while i appreciate his skill set, he’s still a bit undersized and his injury seems like it could be a lingering concern.

Start a rookie QB and it's bad. Bring a rookie QB along slowly (ala Love) and it's bad. Do people just flip a coin?

Travis was always a guy that they were going to bring along slowly, injury or not. And it's not like they drafted in a high round. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Start a rookie QB and it's bad. Bring a rookie QB along slowly (ala Love) and it's bad. Do people just flip a coin?

Travis was always a guy that they were going to bring along slowly, injury or not. And it's not like they drafted in a high round. 

I applaud it, they needed to start drafting qbs in later rounds and trying to develop them into viable nfl players even if they’re destined to be career backups.  With Jordan, he’s 24 and likely won’t see the field this year, so you’re looking at a 25 yr old rookie next august, essentially, with again, likely no nfl experience.  Despite the ZW fail, if jd remains he’s probably going to take another shot at a high drafted qb.  Again, with travis, it’s hard right now to see his path to playing here, though sometimes it all goes awry and they have to throw untested guys in critical games.  

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I applaud it, they needed to start drafting qbs in later rounds and trying to develop them into viable nfl players even if they’re destined to be career backups.  With Jordan, he’s 24 and likely won’t see the field this year, so you’re looking at a 25 yr old rookie next august, essentially, with again, likely no nfl experience.  Despite the ZW fail, if jd remains he’s probably going to take another shot at a high drafted qb.  Again, with travis, it’s hard right now to see his path to playing here, though sometimes it all goes awry and they have to throw untested guys in critical games.  

Or maybe he happens to develop into a quality NFL starter or backup. I've been reading that we should be drafting QB's every year. Has this now changed? It's honestly impossible to keep up with the "take de jour."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He was never going to play in 2024, even if healthy.  And if Rodgers decides to retire after this season, something he’s hinted he would not do, this team, this roster would be in the hunt for a vet QB who win games, not a 2nd year, low round, developmental QB learning while Wilson, Breece, Sauce etc get closer to their 2nd contracts 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

He was never going to play in 2024, even if healthy.  And if Rodgers decides to retire after this season, something he’s hinted he would not do, this team, this roster would be in the hunt for a vet QB who win games, not a 2nd year, low round, developmental QB learning while Wilson, Breece, Sauce etc get closer to their 2nd contracts 

right, in the event rodgers can't go after this season, i imagine the jets would look for another vet qb to get them to the promised land.  plus, at some point if jd remains he's going to take another shot at a 1st round qb. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:21 PM, Augustiniak said:

You expected JD and Saleh to ignore a developmental player because they don’t think they’ll be around to see him develop?

They both fully expect to be here, it’s how those types of personalities are wired, why they’ve gotten to where they are in this league.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You expected JD and Saleh to ignore a developmental player because they don’t think they’ll be around to see him develop?

They both fully expect to be here, it’s how those Thule of personalities are wired, why they’ve gotten to where they are in this league

no, but i don't see a path for jordan to play, b/c it's going to be rodgers/ taylor or another vet they bring in, or a highly drafted qb when jd takes another shot.  odds are jordan remains a backup who does not play.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no, but i don't see a path for jordan to play, b/c it's going to be rodgers/ taylor or another vet they bring in, or a highly drafted qb when jd takes another shot.  odds are jordan remains a backup who does not play.  

That sucks.  I’m used to QBs drafted at 171 to start right away 

fire everyone!

• Haha 4

• Lith changed the title to Jets Sign QB Ben Bryant; Update - Bryant Released