Seems like it's been a LONG time, since Joe Douglas has spoken to the NY media.

I guess there is really no precedence established for how often an NFL GM addresses the hometown media.

That being said, it seems like it's been at least a few months now, since Joe Douglas has made himself available to the NY media.

Probably nothing, but it sure feels a little odd.

OTA's & minicamp have came & went & with training camp in full-swing now, you'd think he'd make an appearance to address the media on the state of the team, etc.

Feels to me, like he's stuck his head in the sand.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

I just found this, says GM's only have to make themselves available to the media twice a year - wow, must be nice.

General Mangers/Secondary Football Executives – Through the club communications department and in response to the intense public interest in roster construction and development, club general managers and secondary football executives must each be available to the media at least twice on a yearly basis – once from the Scouting Combine through the week following the NFL Draft and a second time either during training camp or following the final roster reductions to 53 players. As per the Anti-Tampering Policy, a secondary football executive refers to an individual who has the title of assistant general manager and/or is next in line to the primary football executive, supervising the Player Personnel department, including college and pro scouting departments.

NFL Media Access Policy | PFWA (profootballwriters.org)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I just found this, says GM's only have to make themselves available to the media twice a year - wow, must be nice.

General Mangers/Secondary Football Executives – Through the club communications department and in response to the intense public interest in roster construction and development, club general managers and secondary football executives must each be available to the media at least twice on a yearly basis – once from the Scouting Combine through the week following the NFL Draft and a second time either during training camp or following the final roster reductions to 53 players. As per the Anti-Tampering Policy, a secondary football executive refers to an individual who has the title of assistant general manager and/or is next in line to the primary football executive, supervising the Player Personnel department, including college and pro scouting departments.

NFL Media Access Policy | PFWA (profootballwriters.org)

I think he speaks an appropriate amount of times. Not too much where it is all about him and not never (or only 2 times a year.) Shows indirectly that he is all about making this team better I am for that

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Does it really matter? He does nothing but spout cliches in the few times he does speak to the media.

It would be interesting to hear the GM's perspective, from the horses mouth, instead of all of the fan & media broo-ha-ha speculation, thats swirling around.

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

He's put together (on paper) the best team in 15 years, maybe ever. Missed miserably with Zach. It's time to win and make the playoffs. I think he's the best GM in my lifetime and I started watching this team with Richard Todd at QB 

He shouldn't be the best GM in your lifetime.  On paper he has built a great team which should win us games.  He's failed at the QB position obviously.  If Aaron Rodgers goes down again we could be well on our way to another losing/mediocre season.  He hasn't produced a team with a winning record since he's got here so we should pump the brakes on calling him a good GM.  I am optimistic about this year though and if Rodgers stays healthy then the sky is the limit so I'm looking forward to it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

He shouldn't be the best GM in your lifetime.  On paper he has built a great team which should win us games.  He's failed at the QB position obviously.  If Aaron Rodgers goes down again we could be well on our way to another losing/mediocre season.  He hasn't produced a team with a winning record since he's got here so we should pump the brakes on calling him a good GM.  I am optimistic about this year though and if Rodgers stays healthy then the sky is the limit so I'm looking forward to it.  

I see your point and I don't. We all would agree that he failed with Zach. But many GM's would have taken the same player. I  was hoping he traded out and took Fields or Mac Jones gaining multiple 1st rounders (See Miami).  I will give it too you (and mostly agree) and say that JD failed. But did he fail at the QB position being able to trade for a HOF QB coming off an MVP season and not giving upp the house for him? Would have to argue that not every GM could pull this off let alone a GM from a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. A fluke injury to a player that hardly ever has been hurt in his career seems like a harsh conclusion claiming the GM is awful because he had horrible luck. JMO 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

.... Good?!

Feels like it's no coincidence the "Most of the media are idiots" thread popped right after this one.

The only thing I want Joe Douglas focused on is winning football. Call me old school, but I don't consider avoiding the press as "sticking a head in the sand".

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

He's put together (on paper) the best team in 15 years, maybe ever. Missed miserably with Zach. It's time to win and make the playoffs. I think he's the best GM in my lifetime and I started watching this team with Richard Todd at QB 

What about becton and a bunch of other terrible picks.

• Upvote 1

GM's meet the media a handful of times a year with the bulk of it coming in the offseason.  Odd that I've seen fans get on Douglas for it a million times as if the other 31 GM's speak weekly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

GM's meet the media a handful of times a year with the bulk of it coming in the offseason.  Odd that I've seen fans get on Douglas for it a million times as if the other 31 GM's speak weekly.

I’ve made this point before - but people just ignore it 

GMs seem to basically meet with the media just before the draft, halfway through the season, and at the end of the season.

other than that, they give some isolated interviews  here and there or for special occasions (e.g. Douglas giving a bunch of interviews after trading for Rodgers)! 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’ve made this point before - but people just ignore it 

GMs seem to basically meet with the media just before the draft, halfway through the season, and at the end of the season.

other than that, they give some isolated interviews  here and there or for special occasions (e.g. Douglas giving a bunch of interviews after trading for Rodgers)! 

Yeah, off the top of my head they do pre-draft, mid-season/bye week, end of season and owners meetings.

Might be missing one or two but I'm not sure.

I do laugh every time I see a "WHY IS JOE DOUGLAS HIDING" post or comment.  He's doing what every GM does with every team every year.  Jerry is likely an exception but he's just an attention whore.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, off the top of my head they do pre-draft, mid-season/bye week, end of season and owners meetings.

Might be missing one or two but I'm not sure.

I do laugh every time I see a "WHY IS JOE DOUGLAS HIDING" post or comment.  He's doing what every GM does with every team every year.  Jerry is likely an exception but he's just an attention whore.

Yeah this isn’t true either. The Jets have been intentional about keeping the GM behind the scenes. More so than other franchises. Since the Idzik presser that went sideways this has been the case. Tannenbaum was the last public facing GM the Jets have had. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

GM’s speaking within the  last two weeks after a quick search. Will stop at 3 for now.

I'll take the L on this one.  Looks like some GM's do speak more than Joe D.  If some fans would like to have him come out and offer up a few more canned answers per year then that's fair enough.

I guess it doesn't bother me because I'm happy with the talent he's acquired and I don't have much interest in hearing him talk about injuries that derailed what could have been a special season last year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

GM’s speaking within the  last two weeks after a quick search. Will stop at 3 for now.

What does this prove? You are arguing that Douglas meets with the media appreciably less than other GMs. You have to post information on the frequency of such meetings. Three random press conferences/interviews doesn't prove your point (which I'm skeptical about) at all. How many times did Joe Douglas meet with the media last year? What is the average across the league? Do you have any data to back up your claim? 

The unpredictable factor here is the number of interviews, which depends on big news/current events. Joe Douglas gave a bunch of interviews last year after the Jets traded for Aaron Rodgers. He also gave a bunch of interviews after they drafted Zach Wilson. GMs hold press conferences a few times a year and the rest are interviews, which are highly variable, depending on what is going on. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I'll take the L on this one.  Looks like some GM's do speak more than Joe D.  If some fans would like to have him come out and offer up a few more canned answers per year then that's fair enough.

I guess it doesn't bother me because I'm happy with the talent he's acquired and I don't have much interest in hearing him talk about injuries that derailed what could have been a special season last year.

They do. The Jets don’t put Douglas out there. Similar to Saleh not going to the combine. It’s interesting but it’s how they do things. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

What does this prove? You are arguing that Douglas meets with the media appreciably less than other GMs. You have to post information on the frequency of such meetings. Three random press conferences/interviews doesn't prove your point (which I'm skeptical about) at all. How many times did Joe Douglas meet with the media last year? What is the average across the league? Do you have any data to back up your claim? 

The unpredictable factor here is the number of interviews, which depends on big news/current events. Joe Douglas gave a bunch of interviews last year after the Jets traded for Aaron Rodgers. He also gave a bunch of interviews after they drafted Zach Wilson. GMs hold press conferences a few times a year and the rest are interviews, which are highly variable, depending on what is going on. 

Do your googles 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

That doesn't actually mean anything, but ok 

I’m not here to do your homework for you. If you’re interested, it’s out there. Most GM’s for example were sitting next to the HC on the first day of training camp answering questions. The Jets do not do this.