Did Reddick's camp just provide a road map for his return?

There are plenty of players that happily sign contracts and later find they are below market for their skills.   Good GMs value the draft and UDFA for exactly that reason.

Quincy Williams is worth more than 8 mill a yr.  We have a starting safety making 800 k a year.  Rodgers is making lessthan market rate.   If we were to renegotiate every “bargain”  we couldn't field a competitive team.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's presented as a random idea from Josina Anderson but boy is this an awfully specific/detailed "suggestion" for how the Jets can get Reddick to show up to camp.

And of course it comes less than 24 hours after the Jets said they will not be trading Reddick.

The Jets/ Haason Reddick situation is pretty simple: Both sides staked flags on opposite sides of the island today; because evidently --neither side wants to bend the knee. Just like any other stalemate: To get progress, you need concessions: Here's one* route to a potential solution.

1.) Haason Reddick could change his hold-out to a hold-in & avail himself for in-person facetime and discussions. This would generate some goodwill that teams sources have consistently said would help the situation, while still defending his principle.

2.) Owner Woody Johnson should permit GM Joe Douglas to make an additional contractual concession as an acknowledgment of the above step from the player, starting with Reddick not making anything lower than Bryce Huff's APY, and decreasing the discretionary portion of Reddick's accumulating fines under CBA A4-S9.

3.) Have an understanding in advance for Reddick to assimilate into remaining practices and the regular season on a slower pace-- include a more conservative pitch-count and/or delayed debut to protect Reddick's health upon his return after a protracted absence.

4) Reddick agrees to the all of team's criteria the Jets* define as "participation" for team activities and meetings moving forward to maintain the max value of the restructured deal.

What a stupid tweet. So basically team should just cave...so stupid. If you let this guy do this every thing you've set up so far since how took over is lost for nothing. The player should sign the new deal and be done. And apologize for all the dumb crap

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I read that if Reddick holds out the 2024 season (last year of his 4 yr contract), then his 4th year becomes the 2025 season. So essentially, we would have him for 2 years.

Reddick is going to panic at some point. Maybe fire his agent? Then when he comes in, he's gonna play ANGRY af!

He should definitely fire his agent. I mean this was perfect situation. Going to get on team to highlight your skills, get paid and set your self up for more big money...but instead we have this. A million in counting lost money and looking like a jacks ace

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, JKlecko said:

This definitely sounds like it came from Reddick's agent.  I see two big problems with it:

One, it is my understanding that no portion of Reddick's fines are discretionary, that they are ALL mandated by the CBA and the NFL. 

Two, increasing Reddick's pay to match Huff's contract.  That makes zero sense imo.  If they were willing to pay that much, then they should have just re-signed Huff.  After Reddick lied or changed his mind, he has not been in contact with the team, and shown himself to be a dumbass, I sure wouldn't give him that kind of increase.  I'd give him a contract that could pay 20-30% more based on his staying healthy and achieving some fairly easily-achieved incentives.  That's it.  I'd also make it clear that he was walking in FA next year, that this is just a one-year rental because of his actions.

Only points 1, 3, & 4 make sense to me.

1.  Huff wanted to go to another team where he could have a chance of playing 3 downs.  The Jets weren’t giving him that with this DL

2.  Hassan is the better, more accomplished player

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What a stupid tweet. So basically team should just cave...so stupid. If you let this guy do this every thing you've set up so far since how took over is lost for nothing. The player should sign the new deal and be done. And apologize for all the dumb crap

The player should sign what new deal?

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's presented as a random idea from Josina Anderson but boy is this an awfully specific/detailed "suggestion" for how the Jets can get Reddick to show up to camp.

And of course it comes less than 24 hours after the Jets said they will not be trading Reddick.

The Jets/ Haason Reddick situation is pretty simple: Both sides staked flags on opposite sides of the island today; because evidently --neither side wants to bend the knee. Just like any other stalemate: To get progress, you need concessions: Here's one* route to a potential solution.

1.) Haason Reddick could change his hold-out to a hold-in & avail himself for in-person facetime and discussions. This would generate some goodwill that teams sources have consistently said would help the situation, while still defending his principle.

2.) Owner Woody Johnson should permit GM Joe Douglas to make an additional contractual concession as an acknowledgment of the above step from the player, starting with Reddick not making anything lower than Bryce Huff's APY, and decreasing the discretionary portion of Reddick's accumulating fines under CBA A4-S9.

3.) Have an understanding in advance for Reddick to assimilate into remaining practices and the regular season on a slower pace-- include a more conservative pitch-count and/or delayed debut to protect Reddick's health upon his return after a protracted absence.

4) Reddick agrees to the all of team's criteria the Jets* define as "participation" for team activities and meetings moving forward to maintain the max value of the restructured deal.

EFF HIM ... Show Up OR Be Fined & Lose A Year Of Playing Time. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

She made the claim a couple weeks ago that there was some progress but didn't say it was huge or anything was imminent.

14 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I think that's her MO. Take a stab at it in a way that has little downside if she's wrong, far less certainly than the attention it brought either way.

Well, going from no news and radio silent to a demand to be traded could definitely be considered "progress" in some way....

Quite clearly from his camp, but it sounds like sound reason so wonder why the camps can’t agree? 
Probably he wants beaucoup $$$ for less work. I like the idea of easing him in to limit his playing time to protect the trade compensation..

Dude needs to sh*t or get off the pot ... This train is about to leave the station and can pick him up at the beginning of the push for the playoffs ... Healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I don't understand the Jets fans passion about not having a top tier pass rusher on the roster.

In case you all haven't noticed the Jets have the longest playoff drought in all of major professional sports.  This idea that we're too good and don't need him is beyond absurd.  

Joe needs to check his ego and get the guy into camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't understand the Jets fans passion about not having a top tier pass rusher on the roster.

In case you all haven't noticed the Jets have the longest playoff drought in all of major professional sports.  This idea that we're too good and don't need him is beyond absurd.  

Joe needs to check his ego and get the guy into camp.

Horrendous take.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kmnj said:

if I was arod i would have been saying guys i gave you back money use it.....

Right now the Jets have 19.7M in cap space - but that's with 14.25M of Reddick's salary not counting against the cap because he's holding out. Once he's back in, without any adjustments to his contract, they have 5.5M left - which is about what you want to have available for in-season adjustments (signing additional players to deal with injuries, for example). 

In other words, they have used it.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, viffer said:

Huff wasn't playing every down. You don't franchise a part-time player.

Why not? They didn’t exercise the tag on anyone. Douglas doesn’t have a contract for next year so he has to win.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not really. I care that the Jets didn’t franchise Huff

Agreed. They definitely should have given him about 25% more than the Eagles paid him as a starting point for negotiations about how much they'd pay him on a long-term deal as a rotational DE.

Huff is a great story and a nice player but he's not a 21M per pass rusher.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Why not? They didn’t exercise the tag on anyone. Douglas doesn’t have a contract for next year so he has to win.

What's the cap charge for a 2024 tagged DE? $22 mil? 

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Agreed. They definitely should have given him about 25% more than the Eagles paid him as a starting point for negotiations about how much they'd pay him on a long-term deal as a rotational DE.

Huff is a great story and a nice player but he's not a 21M per pass rusher.

Irrelevant when the GM and coach have to win or else be let go. It’s a one year deal. Who cares what the number is. The QB is going to be 41. The team is better with Huff rushing the passer than not having him rush the passer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Irrelevant when the GM and coach have to win or else be let go. It’s a one year deal. Who cares what the number is. The QB is going to be 41. The team is better with Huff rushing the passer than not having him rush the passer. 

There's a salary cap, Matt

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

There's a salary cap, Matt

Instead of signing Kinlaw and the JAG from Arizona, a pass rusher you had the rights to in a win now season made more sense to me. Maybe Kinlaw decides not to be a bust, but I’d prefer the sure thing in Huff, who was already on the roster.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who cares?

Because we would have to cut or restructure players to fit his tagged salary in. So now you take how much better we would be with Huff minus the player (s) we would lose. 

The other consideration is there would have been a very high chance that he wouldn't sign the tag or hold out. He didn't want to be here, remember? He wanted to be a full time player. Huh? What's that you say? We should have just made him a full time player? Well now you have to figure out how much better we would be with Huff being run over on every running play. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Instead of signing Kinlaw and the JAG from Arizona, a pass rusher you had the rights to in a win now season made more sense to me. Maybe Kinlaw decides not to be a bust, but I’d prefer the sure thing in Huff, who was already on the roster.

Kinlaw's cap number is 2.8 mil. You would have to axe someone else. Hey, who needs DL depth in Saleh's system? Amirite?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Because we would have to cut or restructure players to fit his tagged salary in. So now you take how much better we would be with Huff minus the player (s) we would lose. 

The other consideration is there would have been a very high chance that he wouldn't sign the tag or hold out. He didn't want to be here, remember? He wanted to be a full time player. Huh? What's that you say? We should have just made him a full time player? Well now you have to figure out how much better we would be with Huff being run over on every running play. 

Reddick doesn’t want to be here either. The issue is Douglas, who had to duct tape the oline via FA this offseason and then accommodate Saleh with more interior d linemen. Douglas has drafted like sh*t, which now has resulted in a home grown edge taking the first bus out of town. And then we draft a tackle who’s not going to play, in a season where Douglas is likely let go if they don’t make the playoffs (at minimum). The Jets can’t decide if they’re coming or going. 

• Thumb Down 1

It's already been rehashed to death but the real mistake was not locking Huff up a year or two ago. The win rate/pressure rate had been there ever since his rookie year, it wasn't a huge leap to think that the sack production would catch up given playing time. I suppose the fans were higher on him than the org, which strikes me as curious since this team hasn't had a real edge since the early aughts. 

• Upvote 3

F**k Reddick.  He must play under the initial contract he accepted.  It wasn't until he thought he had the Jets by the short-hairs that this became an issue.  Integrity is everything.  He's not a guy I'd want in my locker room.

Trade the prick?  Yes.  After he sits out the entire season and pays whatever fines that piled up.  Karma's a bitch.

• Upvote 2

I have a tendancy to lean with JD and the Jets on this one as it almost seems like it is personal with JD how this went down. That leads me to assume they had some type of verbal deal and Reddick's team backed off. Perhaps JD and the Jets are letting him twist in the wind a bit but I do think he gets into camp within the next week or two. To be fair I thought it would have been over a week ago but missed that one.

JD is most likely on thin ice with possibly a playoff berth being the way he gets an extension. He is not stupid and knows the JETS are a much better team on defense with Reddick than without.

Bryce Huff was a nice player - but he was one dimensional at least during his time here.

While I like him I can't say in all seriousness that the Jets D is equal to or better with Huff over Reddick.

Let's hope this gets resolved soon as we all just want to see winning football and hopefully a home playoff game.. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Reddick doesn’t want to be here either. The issue is Douglas, who had to duct tape the oline via FA this offseason and then accommodate Saleh with more interior d linemen. Douglas has drafted like sh*t, which now resulted in a home grown edge taking the first bus out of town. And then we draft a tackle who’s not going to play, in a season where Douglas is likely let go if they don’t make the playoffs (at minimum). The Jets can’t decide if they’re coming or going. 

99% of your response doesn't address tagging Huff. The fact remains that tagging Huff would put us in the same situation as Reddick (hold out, unhappy), cost us significantly more money on the cap, weakened our DL depth and weakened our run defense if he became a full time player. Tagging Huff would have been a terrible idea. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

99% of your response doesn't address tagging Huff. The fact remains that tagging Huff would put us in the same situation as Reddick (hold out, unhappy), cost us significantly more money on the cap, weakened our DL depth and weakened our run defense if he became a full time player. Tagging Huff would have been a terrible idea. 

Huff holding out is speculation. The Jets held his rights. He didn’t have 50 million in the bank like Reddick to absorb the daily fines. He hadn’t been paid yet. It’s the exact reason the tag exists. Especially when the QB is 40. This is a do or die season for the coach and GM.