Trade Reddick Tonight

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That's a great approach if you want to treat this as a one-off negotiation. But it's not; at this point, por L'encouragement des autres comes into play. Douglas has to worry about four guys who will be extension eligible next offseason, not all of whom will be getting new deals right away. So he needs to make sure their agents understands that a hold of won't help them get the best deal. 

Douglas's contract expires before next season.  He doesn't have to worry about anything Jets related past this season.  I can see him leaving if the Jets win big and being canned if the Jets don't make the playoffs.  JD doesn't have to blink but it's in JD's interest for the Jets to have a great season so JD can maximize his value as a free agent.   JD definitely has an interest in Reddick playing and playing at a high level.  It adds value to JD as a free agent NFL GM.

On 8/25/2024 at 8:33 AM, slats said:

What is this headache you guys keep talking about? As far as the team goes, it appears to be nothing more than outside noise. It’s not like in SF, who have two of their own stars holding out, Reddick has never played a down for the Jets and the defense has been damn good without him. Is it the ****-stirrers in here? The beat reporters? When Reddick reports, they’ll find something else to chew on and spit at you. 

What seems to get lost is that Reddick is elite. Also lost is that he’s never had any leverage. He needs to report this year if he’s ever going to get to free agency, and the Jets are the team that holds his rights. If he wants to hit it big in free agency, then he needs to play and play up to his elite standards. I’d rather have elite Reddick for half the year (hopefully into the post season) than a future pick. I prefer that a lot. In the meantime, the pearl-clutchers can clutch their pearls. Reddick’s holdout doesn’t look as if it’s effecting the team at all. It’s not a headache, more a minor distraction in the background. Hopefully Reddick figures out that he’s overplayed his hand sooner rather than later, because the last thing I’d do is reward his poorly conceived holdout by giving him what he wants. That’s a message no front office wants to send. 

I'd hope they come to some compromise.  He's a dominating pass rusher and has been underpaid for years. He's had some marvelous sack totals and is a 3 down DL.  At this point, he's hurting himself on numerous counts, fines, image, football shape.  But the Jets still need to make up the pressures Huff gave them.  Strange how the Eagles gave up on retaining Reddick and the Jets gave up on retaining Huff.  This is a MUST year to make the playoffs.  We need the DL to be super dominant. Without Huff or Reddick, McDuck would have to fill in and he just looks over matched.  JD is not giving him a new deal but he can at least sweeten his last year on his contract. He's set to make 15M.  No way he's getting a 3 year deal for 60M - 20 per, or whatever he's aiming for.  Aint happening here.  Bump him up to 18M for the year and call it a day and if he is unwilling to compromise then set him off to the sunset.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Douglas's contract expires before next season.  He doesn't have to worry about anything Jets related past this season.  I can see him leaving if the Jets win big and being canned if the Jets don't make the playoffs.  JD doesn't have to blink but it's in JD's interest for the Jets to have a great season so JD can maximize his value as a free agent.   JD definitely has an interest in Reddick playing and playing at a high level.  It adds value to JD as a free agent NFL GM.

Caving in to Reddick and giving him a big contract on his way out the door is not going to endear him to future employers.  He'd be better served keeping with the story that Reddick promised to come to camp and reneged. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Caving in to Reddick and giving him a big contract on his way out the door is not going to endear him to future employers.  He'd be better served keeping with the story that Reddick promised to come to camp and reneged. 

If the Jets win big Joe D wins big.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs Joe D slinks off to become a staff member for another NFL GM.  

He'd be better served winning as many playoff games this year as he possibly can.  

NFL owners look at results.  In the NFL results are based on your won/lost record.

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If the Jets win big Joe D wins big.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs Joe D slinks off to become a staff member for another NFL GM.  

He'd be better served winning as many playoff games this year as he possibly can.  

NFL owners look at results.  In the NFL results are based on your won/lost record.

Do you think JD has a blank check when it comes to Reddick?

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you think JD has a blank check when it comes to Reddick?

That's probably why he can't get a deal.  Woody is holding JD's balls in an undisclosed location.  

To your point.  It's probably why JD should want to leave the Jets or make Woody pay a home town add on to retain him if the Jets win this year.

32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I don't agree.  Owners are looking for sustained success.  Paying $25M for Reddick just makes him look foolish, like he has no backbone and does not necessarily add playoff wins.

I love how many on this board (not necessarily you, Biggs) want to pay Reddick.  How many are the same that celebrate what hungry players do, like 2023 Huff who was no fan of the Jets and still get his 10 sacks?  How many act like it is obvious that guys tank once they have their big pay day, like WIlkerson, Trumaine Johnson, etc.? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

It’s not zero right now. He loses money every day and if he doesn’t play loses the season and the Jets still own him. He has zero leverage when he can no longer play.

It’s shouldn’t be this hard to grasp.  
Jets will play, with or without Reddick.

Reddict can only play with the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't agree.  Owners are looking for sustained success.  Paying $25M for Reddick just makes him look foolish, like he has no backbone and does not necessarily add playoff wins.

I love how many on this board (not necessarily you, Biggs) want to pay Reddick.  How many are the same that celebrate what hungry players do, like 2023 Huff who was no fan of the Jets and still get his 10 sacks?  How many act like it is obvious that guys tank once they have their big pay day, like WIlkerson, Trumaine Johnson, etc.? 

The Jets clearly aren't looking for sustained success.  They blew that when they drafted Zach and than bid against themselves for Rodgers for a 2 year run.  The Jet this year with Woody's blessing are looking for a 1 to two year window.  

How many teams looking for sustained succes has a GM on an expiring contract?  

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Saleh is like an old cat lady when it comes to D-Line. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets clearly aren't looking for sustained success.  They blew that when they drafted Zach and than bid against themselves for Rodgers for a 2 year run.  The Jet this year with Woody's blessing are looking for a 1 to two year window.  

The Jets future includes G. Wilson, Breece Hall, Olu, AVT, Tippman, Warren on offense and I don't think I need to list the young guys we have on defense. When Rodgers retires you do what the Lions did and plug a in decent QB (FA or trade) They could also run with Taylor for a year or two. I have no issue with building the rest of the team and then plugging in a QB while continuing to draft guys that could develop into a long term starter at QB. It's a viable strategy.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There are people praising the Jets roster.  If the roster is good, but the team plays bad, people eviscerate the coaches.  Right or wrong and the GM gets good grades.  I agree about Rodgers, but it is, what it is.  Doubling down on that philosophy seems like a bad move.

I don't see folding up and paying Reddick so he comes in fat and happy as the way to any success, let alone sustained.  Huff hated the Jets, couldn't wait to leave and got 10 sacks.  That's the Reddick I want to see.  Come in, play for your next deal.  I am not concerned about public perception.  Frankly, I don't think anybody outside of this board much cares.  Friends that know I am a Jets fan always bring up the team and never mention him and I don't think there have been any real pieces about the holdout since the trade deman which was 2 weeks ago.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Actually, tearing down the roster and sacrificing a season to set up their draft position and accumulating young talent says they’re looking for sustained success. 
They can be a tough out with Rodgers for the next two years.  Doesn’t mean they can’t look for a replacement.  Were they supposed to let this roster rot because Zach sucked? 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There are people praising the Jets roster.  If the roster is good, but the team plays bad, people eviscerate the coaches.  Right or wrong and the GM gets good grades.  I agree about Rodgers, but it is, what it is.  Doubling down on that philosophy seems like a bad move.

I don't see folding up and paying Reddick so he comes in fat and happy as the way to any success, let alone sustained.  Huff hated the Jets, couldn't wait to leave and got 10 sacks.  That's the Reddick I want to see.  Come in, play for your next deal.  I am not concerned about public perception.  Frankly, I don't think anybody outside of this board much cares.  Friends that know I am a Jets fan always bring up the team and never mention him and I don't think there have been any real pieces about the holdout since the trade deman which was 2 weeks ago.  

Reddick signed a huge deal with the Eagles before the 2022 season.  He had his best season ever after signing it.  There is no indication that he will dog it if he gets a contract.  He has a history of playing hard when playing for a contract and playing hard after earning a big contract.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually, tearing down the roster and sacrificing a season to set up their draft position and accumulating young talent says they’re looking for sustained success. 
They can be a tough out with Rodgers for the next two years.  Doesn’t mean they can’t look for a replacement.  Were they supposed to let this roster rot because Zach sucked? 

Please the GM is on a 1 year deal and the HC is getting canned if they don't make the playoffs.  Woody has no plan.  It's whatever comes into his head in the moment.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure he said he would show up and would be happy. Why would the Jets do anything for a guy who actually isn't a Jet

Yeah I’m sure he would show up and be happy and I’m assuming he thought he was getting a new deal. Why would he leave the Eagles (his hometown team) where he has property near cooper river by Camden to come to the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Please the GM is on a 1 year deal and the HC is getting canned if they don't make the playoffs.  Woody has no plan.  It's whatever comes into his head in the moment.  

They made the move to rebuild the roster 3 years ago.  
That’s a plan. 
You don’t think we have a roster that can win? Don’t see where they’ve deviated from trying to build this roster, what new approach has popped into anyone’s head.  Right or wrong

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Yeah I’m sure he would show up and be happy and I’m assuming he thought he was getting a new deal. Why would he leave the Eagles (his hometown team) where he has property near cooper river by Camden to come to the Jets.

Camden isn't that far away 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s shouldn’t be this hard to grasp.  
Jets will play, with or without Reddick.

Reddict can only play with the Jets. 

I understand. The Jets are a better team with him playing, his leverage isn’t zero.

48 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

because the Eagles did not want him, nor did anyone else

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This situation is ridiculous.

Douglas is known as a tough negotiator, so who knows what the endgame will be.

Reddick sits the season, and the Jets pay a future 3rd rounder for the equivalent on-field production of a corpse?

Remember that, if Reddick sits the season, the Jets retain his rights next year and we do the same song and dance all over again next summer. 

at worst, they trade him at some point. There’s no chance they’ll end up losing a 3rd rounder for nothing  

• Upvote 2

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
ESPN Sources: Cowboys and All-Pro WR CeeDee Lamb reached agreement today on a record four-year, $136 million deal that now makes him the second highest-paid non-QB in NFL history. The deal includes a $38 million signing bonus, the largest ever given to a wide receiver.

Tory Dandy of CAA negotiated the deal with the Cowboys.

Dandy is Reddick's agent

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Is your name to pay homage to the former Attorney General or the Die Hard Character?

If its the later he has no "H" at the end of his name. 

Gem of a post.  The pick looks like the AG but I believe the Attorney General was known as Dick and might have been called Richard by his mother but never was called Rich.  

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Gem of a post.  The pick looks like the AG but I believe the Attorney General was known as Dick and might have been called Richard by his mother but never was called Rich.  

Dick would work

• Haha 3

because the Eagles did not want him, nor did anyone else

The Eagles did want him. I live by Philly. He made it known that he didn’t want to play on his number this year and the eagles didn’t want to extend a 30 year old so they traded him. The only reason he was available was his cap hit this year.

32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think the avatar is of Kurtwood Smith.