Reddick posts workout video

Reddick is a very good player and I’d love to have him here but the guy has never played a down for the Jets. At this point I don’t care who’s right or wrong, and whether he actually gets a big deal next year.

I’d just deal him at this point, return be damned. The pick we gave the Eagles is a sunk cost, and an inconsequential one at that.

The season starts in 12 days. Let’s go to war with who we have.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Reddick is a very good player and I’d love to have him here but the guy has never played a down for the Jets. At this point I don’t care who’s right or wrong, and whether he actually gets a big deal next year.

I’d just deal him at this point, return be damned. The pick we gave the Eagles is a sunk cost, and an inconsequential one at that.

The season starts in 12 days. Let’s go to war with who we have.

Lets Goooooooooo Jets!!!!!

McDuck last one up the hill. 

Otherwise, such a beautiful video.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Why trade him when he has to show at some point in order to accrue the season? It makes zero sense. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What??

https://sny.tv/articles/haason-reddick-jets-holdout-contract

The Jets were open to a contract extension making Reddick one of the league’s highest-paid edge rushers (he wants a deal between $25 million and $28 million annually), but there was an understanding between the Jets and Reddick that in order to receive that, Reddick needed to show up and perform on the field (regular season games), SNY learned. The Jets were not willing to rip up Reddick’s current deal until that point. They were, however, willing to do an extension in-season, similar to when they rewarded defensive end John Franklin-Myers in October of 2021.

In the meantime, they could adjust Reddick’s current contract: Converting unguaranteed money to guaranteed, adding in incentives.

Reddick, who has double-digit sacks each of the last four seasons, was on board. He told Jets brass he would attend the offseason program, minicamp and training camp. Early-season dominance would lead to the desired extension.

Then Reddick didn’t show up for the voluntary portion of the Jets offseason. He skipped mandatory minicamp. He is now a no-show for the start of training camp. The Jets are not willing to negotiate any extension until Reddick shows up. Reddick does not want to show up until he receives a long-term extension.

This leak is BEFORE the Jets traded for him:

Here's another, again from before the Jets traded for him:

There's more out there if you went to this site called google.com that you've never heard of apparently.

But yeah, those numbers were found only on JN. 🙄

Thanks for sharing the Tweet and Reddit post.  I appreciate it.

Assuming this is true, I see two options about JD's thought process.  IMO, both pretty bad, not sure which is worse....

1) Joe traded for him knowing this and yet expected him to play for the Jets on his $14mm, non guaranteed deal (or something close)

or 

2) Joe is prepared to pay him - but holding the line on some nonsense like "You have to be here to get a contract"

Is there a 3rd option?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Presuming Reddick wants 3 years at least $25MM per, with two seasons fully guaranteed, what’s your supposedly easy solution?

My solution was to not trade for him if you're unwilling to pay him. 

That's the part I don't understand.  If you knew this is what he was demanding and his current team was offering him $22mm and he turned it down.  Why would you trade for him if he was saying he wasn't going to play for $22mm let alone $14mm?

10 minutes ago, slats said:

The concept of the trade is actually quite clever: bring in a superior, three-down edge for less money than Huff signed for to continue to be a part time player, at the cost of a 2026 third rounder that could quite possibly (or even probably) be recouped in the same year with a third round comp pick if/when Reddick does sign his big deal. 

The fact that the cost was so low, and that Reddick is really a luxury on this team more than a necessity, made it a risk worth taking. I believe even you believe that Reddick will have to report to the Jets this season if he ever wants to hit free agency. And when he does, he will need to perform at a high level if he wants to convince a team to pay him top level edge money when he’s heading towards his 31st birthday. 

Now had he showed up and performed already, maybe he’d find himself in line for that extension here. Instead he’s probably flushed that potential opportunity, too. I doubt the Jets anticipated this holdout largely because it’s a dumb holdout. Reddick has hurt himself more than he’s hurt the Jets. 

Yes, I completely agree.  I liked the trade when it happened (although I wanted to keep Huff but that's not the point) but I wasn't aware he was being traded because he wouldn't accept $22m a year.  It's surely clever if he plays.  

If he doesn't and misses more than a few games it was a gamble that lost.  In an all-in year (which I believe we are) leaving $14mm in unused cap space is not what you want to do.  That could have been used to better the team elsewhere.

Honestly, I'm not even trying to point fingers here - I really don't care anymore whose fault it is, if anyone - I just want the guy on the field.

I just want to see this team win and am in the camp that losing JFM and Huff is more than just a hiccup - and that the Edge position isn't nearly as strong as many believe without Reddick.

34 minutes ago, slats said:

This would be a foolish emotional response to the situation and, if JD we’re to do it, you would be the first guy here to tell us what a dope he is for getting less than he gave up in the first place. 

The Jets, meanwhile, are going to war with what they have and the lack of Reddick doesn’t seem to have any impact on the locker room at all. The players have a closer attachment to McGregor and Watts than they do to Reddick. Cap money rolls from year to year and whatever Reddick chooses not to collect goes back into their coffers. If/when he shows up, the Jets will have another all pro on their DL. In the meantime, the people who are most concerned about this “GM disaster” are the people who generally enjoy trolling Jets fans, whether in the media or on this site. Kinda evidenced by all of your posts on the subject. 

BINGO. And none of his takes on the situation have made any sense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I completely agree.  I liked the trade when it happened (although I wanted to keep Huff but that's not the point) but I wasn't aware he was being traded because he wouldn't accept $22m a year.  It's surely clever if he plays.  

If he doesn't and misses more than a few games it was a gamble that lost.  In an all-in year (which I believe we are) leaving $14mm in unused cap space is not what you want to do.  That could have been used to better the team elsewhere.

Honestly, I'm not even trying to point fingers here - I really don't care anymore whose fault it is, if anyone - I just want the guy on the field.

I just want to see this team win and am in the camp that losing JFM and Huff is more than just a hiccup - and that the Edge position isn't nearly as strong as many believe without Reddick.

He will be here for a minimum of 10 games. Breathe.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If he shows up around Halloween and plays well the rest of the year, how is that a loss? The cap space isn’t an issue, it’s you grasping for something to whine about. Joe Douglas managed to put together a very solid roster with $53M sitting in the dead money pile. There are any number of contracts that the Jets could rework to create more if that’s what they wanted/needed to do. JD is generally frugal in the way he manages the cap, and that gives him a ****ton of maneuverability. The Jets have $65M in cap space next year. Compare that to the 49ers who have Aiyuk and Williams holding out, will need to pay Purdy, and are currently over next year’s cap by $28M. Now tell me about “GM disasters,” again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

The concept of the trade is actually quite clever: bring in a superior, three-down edge for less money than Huff signed for to continue to be a part time player, at the cost of a 2026 third rounder that could quite possibly (or even probably) be recouped in the same year with a third round comp pick if/when Reddick does sign his big deal. 

The fact that the cost was so low, and that Reddick is really a luxury on this team more than a necessity, made it a risk worth taking. I believe even you believe that Reddick will have to report to the Jets this season if he ever wants to hit free agency. And when he does, he will need to perform at a high level if he wants to convince a team to pay him top level edge money when he’s heading towards his 31st birthday. 

Now had he showed up and performed already, maybe he’d find himself in line for that extension here. Instead he’s probably flushed that potential opportunity, too. I doubt the Jets anticipated this holdout largely because it’s a dumb holdout. Reddick has hurt himself more than he’s hurt the Jets. 

Reddick is also missing a golden opportunity of playing the Niners on Monday night with no Trent Brown.  Great opportunity to possibly put a couple sacks up early in the year.  All helpful when its time to get that next contract. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Reddick is also missing a golden opportunity of playing the Niners on Monday night with no Trent Brown.  Great opportunity to possibly put a couple sacks up early in the year.  All helpful when its time to get that next contract. 

As long as he gets here by next Monday he can.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the part I don't understand.  If you knew this is what he was demanding and his current team was offering him $22mm and he turned it down.  Why would you trade for him if he was saying he wasn't going to play for $22mm let alone $14mm?

He flat-out said he would play, even if the contract stuff didn’t work out.

Also you have been playing this off as a simple “just get it done” task. So how would you just get it done?

He never said he wouldn’t play. He said he wouldn’t sign a 3 year extension at $22MM, with unknown guarantee clauses in it.

• Upvote 1

Saleh said today that the team is off next 3 days. 

checks calendar 

So that points to the team beginning prep for the 9ers on Labor Day. 

kinda makes the deadline for Reddick playing week 1 Monday. 

not optimistic but let’s hope 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Saleh said today that the team is off next 3 days. 

checks calendar 

So that points to the team beginning prep for the 9ers on Labor Day. 

kinda makes the deadline for Reddick playing week 1 Monday. 

not optimistic but let’s hope 

Lol that guy's not coming back

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He flat-out said he would play, even if the contract stuff didn’t work out.

Also you have been playing this off as a simple “just get it done” task. So how would you just get it done?

He never said he wouldn’t play. He said he wouldn’t sign a 3 year extension at $22MM, with unknown guarantee clauses in it.

Well, I would be talking to him.  It's impossible to get anything done if you don't talk to the guy.  No contact for over two moths is insane to me.   

4 hours ago, slats said:

If he shows up around Halloween and plays well the rest of the year, how is that a loss? The cap space isn’t an issue, it’s you grasping for something to whine about. Joe Douglas managed to put together a very solid roster with $53M sitting in the dead money pile. There are any number of contracts that the Jets could rework to create more if that’s what they wanted/needed to do. JD is generally frugal in the way he manages the cap, and that gives him a ****ton of maneuverability. The Jets have $65M in cap space next year. Compare that to the 49ers who have Aiyuk and Williams holding out, will need to pay Purdy, and are currently over next year’s cap by $28M. Now tell me about “GM disasters,” again. 

Not interested in whining.  I'm interested in winning.  If Joe is so good as manipulating the cap then why not pay the guy?

As for if he comes in at week 7 or 8 and they end up missing the playoffs by a game or two - then yes - it's a big deal.  Him missing games added to missing the playoffs.  It's a 17 game season.  Every one of them is a big deal.

I just can't understand Jet fans such easy acceptance that this team is so good it doesn't really need an elite Edge rusher. 

I like this roster, genuinely.    But I'm surely not cocky about it, which seems to the be the prevailing thought on this forum right now. 

Reddick is who he's shown himself to be, basically a liar.

But this is as much on Joe Douglas and his naivete as anything else.

You don't trade a day 2 pick for a star player with zero guarantees left on his deal and just take him at his word that he won't cause problems.

Especially considering the team he was on (which is arguably better than the Jets and also the player's hometown team) was dealing him precisely because they were unable to make any headway in extending him.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not interested in whining.  I'm interested in winning.  If Joe is so good as manipulating the cap then why not pay the guy?

This has been answered a multitude of times. Now it's up to you to understand it. I'm rooting for you 👍

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Maybe they think he is going to have to play at some point this year so they would rather have him on the team at some point then try to trade him. It may be hard to get what they paid for him. 

I just heard on SNY (So take it for what it's worth) that an insider close to Reddick said he is fully prepared to sit the whole season out.

4 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I just heard on SNY (So take it for what it's worth) that an insider close to Reddick said he is fully prepared to sit the whole season out.

If he, or anybody close to him, said anything other than that he is prepared to sit the whole season out it would defeat the entire purpose of holding out in the first place.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

LOL. I didn't realize the Jets were telling Reddick to play with NO pay!! 

AHHHHH!!!!!

You pick strange hills to defend, brother...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, I would be talking to him.  It's impossible to get anything done if you don't talk to the guy.  No contact for over two moths is insane to me.   

“Talking” is irrelevant unless you think you’ve got such great personal skills he’ll forget about hour much money he wants over how many years.

You keep conspicuously avoiding this. Taking for granted you’d agree to less (as little as possible) — What would be your top offer? What would be too much for you where you revert to the Jets’ current stance of no. 

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

JD went out of his way to show nothing but respect to Reddick and his agent.  He obviously was talking to them.  I'd be surprised if this extends into the season. 

I admire your optimism @Pac

I woudln't be at all surprised if this drags into the regular season.

Some guys are such extreme narcisists, that they don't have the ability to swallow their pride & Reddick to me, certainly comes off as that type of guy.

I have nothing factual to base this on, it's just a gut feeling of mine, based primarily on his actions, up until now.

JD at this point, really has no choice but to stand his ground, as he's setting a precedent for future contract negotiations - which means Reddick will have to cave & report for something to get done - and I just don't see him doing that.

Season is about to start, the toughest opponent in the first month-plus is out two starters that made them so dangerous these past seasons, the Jets are down one end they want more than need given the constant DL rotation. The best Jets QB in memory if not since ever will take the field, they have above average starters and depth all over…

Exciting time, at least so far, but lol some guys here really enjoy being on their periods.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

This would not surprise me at all.

That said, he'll ruin what's left of his career by doing so, IMHO.

He'll wind up signing one year prove-it deals, for the rest of his NFL days.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If he, or anybody close to him, said anything other than that he is prepared to sit the whole season out it would defeat the entire purpose of holding out in the first place.  

16 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Wicked smart...

See you next April to do this ALL OVER AGAIN, but one year older Hasaan!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1