5 Jets named to CBS' preseason All-Pro team

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Personally, after 8 strait losing seasons, and only 1 winning season in the past 13, I could care less about offseason accolades.

I'm ready for a few regular season accolades.

But you get excited if it pleases you.  I'll wait to be pleased, I hope, by some actual WINS here real soon, if all this hype isn't just the usual hot air BS.

The fans and players excited for the season didn’t write or create the Preseason list.  

Your statement that winners win and losers talk would hold water if it that was the case.  This is just you being a sour puss. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm not talking about the post; I'm talking about the desire to wallow in negativity.

Why is it that no one ever accuses the various donkeys around here who annually bray to anyone who'll listen that "we're the best, 14-3, Super Bowl, guaranteed, every else sucks but us, we're the best" every offseason of "wallowing in delusional optimism".

There's nothing we're going to do at this point to make this team better (and was never anything fans could do, of course, but the team too ... it is what it is at this point).

A given, yes.  Although many here act like the Jets read what is said here (they don't, but people do it anyway).

I get it, you're not getting your hopes up on hype.  Wise.

I'm not, you're right.

But this thread is a bit different, I simply think the entire idea of "offseason/preseason awards or accolades" may be both the dumbest, and most modern-era-made-up bullsh*t I have ever heard. 

Call me old school, but I still believe that all-pro awards (and any real accolade) are won or earned by play during the season, not in the offseason or because some hack PFF writer thinks something.

But what is it that drives you to post "offseason championship! Let's see them win!" every single time someone posts something positive about the team?

I presume the same thing that drives anyone to post anything here.  We're all Jets Fans (mostly) sperging our various and sundry informed and ill informed opinions on the team, the NFL, and the world in general oftentimes.  We're all hoping this is our year, every year.  I don't think there is any need for your psychoanalysis efforts here.  It's not because my dad killed himself when I was 18, or because my mom is currently in the hospital, etc.  I'm simply a cynical, pessimistic, realist (as I see it, opinion on that clearly differ) and my posting reflects that.  We are what we are.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Why is it that no one ever accuses the various donkeys around here who annually bray to anyone who'll listen that "we're the best, 14-3, Super Bowl, guaranteed, every else sucks but us, we're the best" every offseason of "wallowing in delusional optimism".

A given, yes.  Although many here act like the Jets read what is said here (they don't, but people do it anyway).

I'm not, you're right.

But this thread is a bit different, I simply think the entire idea of "offseason/preseason awards or accolades" may be both the dumbest, and most modern-era-made-up bullsh*t I have ever heard. 

Call me old school, but I still believe that all-pro awards (and any real accolade) are won or earned by play during the season, not in the offseason or because some hack PFF writer thinks something.

I presume the same thing that drives anyone to post anything here.  We're all Jets Fans (mostly) sperging our various and sundry informed and ill informed opinions on the team, the NFL, and the world in general oftentimes.  We're all hoping this is our year, every year.  I don't think there is any need for your psychoanalysis efforts here.  It's not because my dad killed himself when I was 18, or because my mom is currently in the hospital, etc.  I'm simply a cynical, pessimistic, realist (as I see it, opinion on that clearly differ) and my posting reflects that.  We are what we are.

Re the first bolded point - are you nuts? Those guys get constantly critiqued, and rightfully so. Last year and this year were the first in a very long time where anything close to that type of optimism was reasonable 

Re the second, it's not an award, it's a polling of their analysts on who they think are the best players in the league at each position. I think it's pretty meaningful that a bunch of people whose job is to write about football would pick Jets players as the among the best in the league at their positions heading into the season - not meaningful in the sense that it's the goal, or it's wins, but in the sense that this team does in fact have the loaded roster it appears to, and the predictions of success aren't coming from a place of deluded optimism.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

....it's a polling of their analysts on who they think are the best players in the league at each position. I think it's pretty meaningful that a bunch of people whose job is to write about football would pick Jets players as the among the best in the league at their positions heading into the season - not meaningful in the sense that it's the goal, or it's wins, but in the sense that this team does in fact have the loaded roster it appears to, and the predictions of success aren't coming from a place of deluded optimism.  

Ok.  

The Jets have a number of players at key positions considered elite level talents and entering the prime of their careers.  This is a very underrated predictor in determining overall success in the NFL.  The last time the Jets were in this position they went to back to back AFC Championship games.

Is it some sort of guarantee?  Far from it.  So much is going to come down to Rodgers and how he can perform at his age coming off a major injury.  But when the team is in crunch time during a close game, having young, prime, elite, and healthy talents at WR, RB, CB, DT, OPR, and LB is going to push the team over the top more often than not.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I guess we can hang this list on the wall, next to our shelf full of Snoopy Bowl Trophies.

You can if you want. Or just put it next to all the other list that are projecting the top players at positions like Rodgers being a top 5 QB. It’s all guesses. And common for this time of year.

On 9/2/2024 at 12:46 PM, Warfish said:

Jets have swept the offseason/preseason championships!  We won the Offseason Super Bowl.  We have several offseason all-pros.  We have the offseason best-roster award.  Our GM won the offseason best GM award. 

Man, we really are offseason champions, what else could we want!  Extend everyone now!

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'd tell you that's the fallacy of the excluded middle if I thought you'd understand what that meant

There is no middle ground or contextualization of information for many anymore. It's strange that people here are actually getting annoyed by the fact that some people outside the organization and fanbase are actually giving credit to good Jets players or a well-built roster. Its not like the Jets or a JetNation Homer Fanboy created this "list", its just a sports media outlet saying, "Hey, these are some of the best players in the league going into the season". Thats it. And we get the usual, "Offseason Champions, amirite??" crap. If rooting for a Football team leaves you so joyless and cynical, maybe a new hobby should be examined? 

Seasons about to start, boys. Allow yourself the luxury of trying to enjoy it... and if not, maybe allow OTHERS to enjoy it FFS.  If it all goes south again, we'll be right here bitching and moaning, but let's wait for something to bitch and moan about -- and no, Hasaan Reddick being a ninny doesn't count. lol

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Allow yourself the luxury of trying to enjoy it... and if not, maybe allow OTHERS to enjoy it FFS.

I continue to laugh at people who think being a pessemist or cynic means they "don't enjoy the season" as it's happening, or don't root for wins, or the like.

I also laugh at people whose enjoyment is so slim and fragile, that the mere writing of a less optimistic post ruins that enjoyment for them.  

TLDR:  I'm hugely looking forward to Monday Night, hoping for a huge statement win on the road, and if my posts here "ruined" the season for anyone, they need to seriously rethink the effect other peoples words on a forum have on their lives, lol.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I continue to laugh at people who think being a pessemist or cynic means they "don't enjoy the season" as it's happening, or don't root for wins, or the like.

I also laugh at people whose enjoyment is so slim and fragile, that the mere writing of a less optimistic post ruins that enjoyment for them.  

TLDR:  I'm hugely looking forward to Monday Night, hoping for a huge statement win on the road, and if my posts here "ruined" the season for anyone, they need to seriously rethink the effect other peoples words on a forum have on their lives, lol.

I honestly give very few posters here much thought beyond, "What is this idiot saying today" or "That dude is pretty funny". There ARE exceptions for people here I consider actual friends, but by and large, it's just words on a screen that could be generated by a chatbot for all I know.

But you quoted the word "ruined" and use it multiple times in reply to me. I don't think that word appears once in my post. I just think being sh*t about "CBS thinks these 6 Jets players are good" is really mindless. And I never mentioned anyone specific or quoted anyone other than @Doggin94it there ....  do you have a persecution complex? Never mind, I don't care.... lol

Have a great one!

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I honestly give very few posters here much thought beyond, "What is this idiot saying today" or "That dude is pretty funny". 

Also, you quoted the word "ruined" and use it multiple times in reply to me. I don't think that word appears once in my post.

If you're unable to "enjoy it", "it" being the season, because of a post on JN....then yes, ruined is the right word for me to use here.

I just think being sh*t about "CBS thinks these 6 Jets players are good" is really mindless. 

I just think celebrating offseason all-pro awards like they mean something is really mindless.

Have a great one!

I will, you too!

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I continue to laugh at people...

I also laugh at people....  

So, other people's opinions on a message board bother you enough to reveal how much you take pleasure in "laughing" at them?

Hmm. That might be clinical...

Twin Peaks Mirror GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, other people's opinions on a message board bother you enough to reveal how much you take pleasure in "laughing" at them?

Bother?  Lol, no.  Interest me enough to comment on them, to share an opinion, absolutely.  Doesn;t take much to interest me, lol.

Same as every time you quote me, you're clearly interested enough to do so (or "bothered enough", if you prefer). 😆

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bother?  Lol, no.  Interest me enough to comment on them, to share an opinion, absolutely.  Doesn;t take much to interest me, lol.

Same as every time you quote me, you're clearly interested enough to do so (or "bothered enough", if you prefer). 😆

In other news, this picture made me laugh way harder than it should have:

cw6mzlga1hdd1.png

Can you imagine the poor convenience store clerk seeing that and just being, "Nope"? LOL.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, Warfish said:

Personally, after 8 strait losing seasons, and only 1 winning season in the past 13, I could care less about offseason accolades.

I'm ready for a few regular season accolades.

But you get excited if it pleases you.  I'll wait to be pleased, I hope, by some actual WINS here real soon, if all this hype isn't just the usual hot air BS.

If you could care less why not waIt til then? Unless……

1 hour ago, Snook said:

If you could care less why not waIt til then? Unless……

Think about what “I could care less” actually means.

Regardless, I’ve changed/revisited my opinion, I’m super happy we’re getting positive pub for our guys, go Jets! Woot!!!

On 9/2/2024 at 11:46 AM, Warfish said:

Jets have swept the offseason/preseason championships!  We won the Offseason Super Bowl.  We have several offseason all-pros.  We have the offseason best-roster award.  Our GM won the offseason best GM award. 

Man, we really are offseason champions, what else could we want!  Extend everyone now!

And we are undefeated in 2024!

On 9/3/2024 at 9:34 AM, Warfish said:

I'm not, you're right.

I keep forgetting that you are insane. Thanks for the reminder!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Regardless, I’ve changed/revisited my opinion, I’m super happy we’re getting positive pub for our guys, go Jets! Woot!!!

Lighten up Francis. I was fking with you. The actual term is “I couldn’t care less”

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Think about what I said to you.