New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

4 minutes ago, funaz said:

People are really upset about this slightly above average pass rusher that we didn’t give up anything for.

I don’t think reddick moves the needle either way for the jets. He is not a difference maker he is a cog

A third Rd pick that becomes a 2nd is not nothing 

They could have just paid Huff 

The Jets are a poorly run franchise 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Unlike a lot of NFL players Reddick actually has a college degree.  He was a walk on in college and turned it into a first round pick based on an absolutely sick combine performance.  After he got his big contract he didn't dog it he had his best year in the NFL after getting paid.

I suspect he has at least 25 million in stocks, bonds and real estate.  He could absolutely walk away today if that's what he wanted to do.  

That's a beautiful story but completely unsupported by facts.

NFL players on the higher end of the scale take home just over half their actual pay due to taxes, agent fees, union fees, retirement fund contributions and a few other things.  Reddick has earned $51M in career contract value.  I would estimate he has actually received maybe $27-29M of it in take-home pay.  Over 7 years.  So even allowing for some appreciation of investments, suggesting he has $25M in the bank is suggesting he has spent maybe $5M total of that money.  Over 7 years. 

Possible?  Sure.  Likely... not so much.

I don't think Reddick is a 'bad' guy.  Articles suggest he bought his mom a house with his first contract.  Ran a youth sports camp in Philly.  Donated toys for kids in Camden.  

What I don't get is why he stayed away when showing up would have cost him absolutely nothing.  Dandy's other high-profile player (Lamb) showed up.  And got his deal.  Reddick staying away from camp after reportedly agreeing to at least show up puts the onus on him.  He turned a challenging situation into a nearly impossible one.  Now his only way out appears to be hoping for an injury or bad performance from another Jets player in the early weeks.  That does not seem like the way to ingratiate yourself to your new team.  Maybe he doesn't care about that.  Unfortunate. But considering that $14M he would have been paid this season on his existing deal is 25% of his career earnings, I do not believe for a moment that he is content to walk away from football with what he may or may not have in the bank.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yeah for a year where it’s clear based on what we’ve heard from Woody, the Jets have to win this year. Not just make the playoffs either. Real winning. How Huff wasn’t just tagged and brought back is mind numbing. 

• Upvote 2

We've reached the regular season and Reddick is still not here. His only play left is to return to the team for the minimum amount of games to accrue the year and become eligible for free agency. In which case he will probably feign injury or half ass it.

It's time to give his agent permission to talk contracts with other teams and if they get what they are looking for try to work out a trade and move off of this headache.

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That pick is not becoming a 2nd and the Jets will get the 3rd back as a compensatory pick.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

That pick is not becoming a 2nd and the Jets will get the 3rd back as a compensatory pick.

It's a curious thing.  If he doesn't sign with the Jets at all, does that impact the comp pick eligibility?  I'm not sure what the language on that is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's a curious thing.  If he doesn't sign with the Jets at all, does that impact the comp pick eligibility?  I'm not sure what the language on that is.

The Jets own his rights so, while I’m not 100%, I believe that they do.

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's a beautiful story but completely unsupported by facts.

NFL players on the higher end of the scale take home just over half their actual pay due to taxes, agent fees, union fees, retirement fund contributions and a few other things.  Reddick has earned $51M in career contract value.  I would estimate he has actually received maybe $27-29M of it in take-home pay.  Over 7 years.  So even allowing for some appreciation of investments, suggesting he has $25M in the bank is suggesting he has spent maybe $5M total of that money.  Over 7 years. 

Possible?  Sure.  Likely... not so much.

I don't think Reddick is a 'bad' guy.  Articles suggest he bought his mom a house with his first contract.  Ran a youth sports camp in Philly.  Donated toys for kids in Camden.  

What I don't get is why he stayed away when showing up would have cost him absolutely nothing.  Dandy's other high-profile player (Lamb) showed up.  And got his deal.  Reddick staying away from camp after reportedly agreeing to at least show up puts the onus on him.  He turned a challenging situation into a nearly impossible one.  Now his only way out appears to be hoping for an injury or bad performance from another Jets player in the early weeks.  That does not seem like the way to ingratiate yourself to your new team.  Maybe he doesn't care about that.  Unfortunate. But considering that $14M he would have been paid this season on his existing deal is 25% of his career earnings, I do not believe for a moment that he is content to walk away from football with what he may or may not have in the bank.

27 million invested in a conservative portfolio earning 5% per year would generate roughly 11 million in 7 years.  He's likely to be able to live like a millionaire into he's 90's and have a balance of over 100 million at death.  

You could retire at birth and live a great life if someone left you 27 million.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

27 million invested in a conservative portfolio earning 5% per year would generate roughly 11 million in 7 years.  He's likely to be able to live like a millionaire into he's 90's and have a balance of over 100 million at death.  

You could retire at birth and live a great life if someone left you 27 million.

Even IF you got all $27M 7 years ago, which he clearly did not, you would be paying tax on the earnings so cut that number almost in half.  But really he earned most of that money in the last 3 years.  So using your 5% per year, he might have earned $1.5-2M additional income before taxes.  Now he might also have earned something in endorsements that changes the math.  I don't know anything about that.

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s not that simple

But essentially Reddick has to sign a big-money deal somewhere else and the net flow of players lost versus gained has to be negative for the Jets to win any compensation 

There is some unknown formula the league office has under wraps

If he sits the season, I doubt he gets jack from any other teams next season 

The league has already witnessed the Le’Veon debacle and Deshaun Watson looking washed after not playing football for a year or more 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Even IF you got all $27M 7 years ago, which he clearly did not, you would be paying tax on the earnings so cut that number almost in half.  But really he earned most of that money in the last 3 years.  So using your 5% per year, he might have earned $1.5-2M additional income before taxes.  Now he might also have earned something in endorsements that changes the math.  I don't know anything about that.

Let me just say if you hit 65 and you have anywhere close to 10Million in savings you should be fine into your 90's living a very nice life.

He probably does have other income.  Yes many pro-athlets blow all the money they get.  Many of them have horrific health issues that drain a lot of money.  If you're not a pig, get some decent advise or read a couple of good financial books and get out with your health you have enough money to live a great life.  You can also use your position as a pro-athlete to leverage other opportunities.

Reddick isn't finanacially forced to do anything.  That said most people are greedy and can't walk away.  There aren't a lot of Barry Sanders out there who leave in their prime.  

He earned over 8 million dollars at 23 years old from his rookie deal.  He got a huge windfall the last 3 years earning 38 million.  We should all be doing that well. 

I'm guessing if you make 250K over 40 years that's 10 million total earnings you're probably doing okay even after taxes.  

None of that really matters.  It's just the idea that he's somehow obligated to play football for the Jets on his current deal.  He's not obligated to do that at all. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I also do not buy this idea that it's no big deal if they miss him.  Three edges last year (getting the majority of reps) JJ, JFM and Huff....

Now it's JJ, McD, and Clemmons.

Even if McD can get to anywhere near Huff's production (which is a major question) JFM to Clemmons is still a huge cliff.  On day one Reddick becomes the 2nd best player on that D-line.

It’s true that those were the top three in snap counts last year, JJ at 65.79%, JFM 55.15%, and Huff 42.22%. Right behind Huff was Quinton Jefferson at 41.25%, and he had 6 sacks himself. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Takk McKinley can pick up a lot of that slack, and play in the 40-50% range of snaps. Also have the two UDFAs in McGregor and Watts. 

With 55.15% of the snaps, JFM had 3.5 sacks last year. In 16.18% of the snaps, Will McDonald had 3. Bring McD up to 40-50%, hitting Huff’s one year only total of 10 doesn't seem too unreasonable, either. Solomon Thomas had 5 sacks for the team last year, and likely moves back in the rotation with Javon Kinlaw which should make for an improved platoon there. 

Reddick will be a major addition if/when he shows up, but it’s not like the DL is gonna fall apart without him. And I didn’t even mention Quinnen Williams looking forward to playing next to Kinlaw. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, JetsMan57 said:

We've reached the regular season and Reddick is still not here. His only play left is to return to the team for the minimum amount of games to accrue the year and become eligible for free agency. In which case he will probably feign injury or half ass it.

It's time to give his agent permission to talk contracts with other teams and if they get what they are looking for try to work out a trade and move off of this headache.

No. 

The only way Reddick gets close to what he wants -reportedly $25M/year- is if he plays football this year and plays it well. Reddick turns 30 on 9/22, so he’ll be 31 early next season. How many teams are gonna look to hand over big money to a 31 year old who sat out half the season and then half-assed it or feigned injury? I suspect the answer is remarkably close to zero. 

And what’s the headache? I don’t see the team being distracted at all. Reddick isn’t a part of the team. This isn’t one of their own not getting paid, this is a guy refusing to join the team. Meanwhile, the team is focused. Reddick reporting is much better for the Jets in 2024 than any future draft pick might be, and his trade value is pretty much bottomed out right now. He can sit out the whole season (which would be sheer stupidity on his part), the Jets would still hold his rights, and they could trade him next winter when teams have picks and cap room to spare. If he wants to pick his own team next year, he’ll report, and he’ll play like the professional he is. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I have some confidence in the young blood the Jets have brought in.

McKinnley, McGregor, Watts & LT III.

Rotate these guys in & out and I think they can be productive.

The 49ers OL - other than Trent Williams, is below average.  TW will help but facing him this week is probably a nice tick since he may be a little rusty.  I think our DL and by extension, our entire defense, will be fine.  I know we have a few people who are certain we will lose because they need validation for their Joe Douglas hate, but honestly, this game feels like a pick 'em to me.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

What's the upside for being a well run franchise?

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Winning?

winning pays the same as losing 

in fact it might pay better

the Jets are somehow a top 5 team in market value despite being a bottom 5 team in actual performance 

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The 49ers OL - other than Trent Williams, is below average.  TW will help but facing him this week is probably a nice tick since he may be a little rusty.  I think our DL and by extension, our entire defense, will be fine.  I know we have a few people who are certain we will lose because they need validation for their Joe Douglas hate, but honestly, this game feels like a pick 'em to me.

Agree with this.

The 49er's were ranked 23rd in pass-blocking efficiency in 2023 and that was with Trent Williams starting 15 games last season.

I think stopping the run & McCaffrey, will be the key to the Jets winning this game.

Of course this is where Williams excels, I think the 49ers avergaed over 6 yds per carry, when running behind Williams on the left side last year.

I think the Jets pass-rush as it sits, can get to Purdy enough, to make him uncomfortable.

• Upvote 1

Still kind of odd the Jets are tip toeing around this. Lynch came out last week and said you at some point have to show up and play. Salehs presser he was wishy washy about Reddick still being able to play this week, without setting any sort of deadline. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Still kind of odd the Jets are tip toeing around this. Lynch came out last week and said you at some point have to show up and play. Salehs presser he was wishy washy about Reddick still being able to play this week, without setting any sort of deadline. 

Sounds like they are communicating and he doesn't want to say anything to impede any progress they've made. 

• Upvote 1

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!