Jets' Saleh: 0-1 with Aaron Rodgers feels better than 1-0 in '23

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41207011/jets-saleh-0-1-aaron-rodgers-feels-better-1-0-23

A year ago, the New York Jets were 1-0 but reeling in the aftermath of quarterback Aaron Rodgers' season-ending Achilles injury. All things considered, their current 0-1 start actually feels better than last season, according to coach Robert Saleh.

"You know what? Unfortunately, it does," Saleh said Tuesday, several hours after being dominated by the San Francisco 49ers in a 32-19 loss at Levi's Stadium.

The 40-year-old Rodgers emerged unscathed from his first extensive action in 20 months, perhaps the only silver lining in a loss best described by wide receiver Garrett Wilson: "They whupped our ass, and that's the reality of it."

After being outclassed by the 49ers, his previous team, Saleh tried to put a positive spin on the Jets' situation. He insisted the offense was better than it looked and vowed to get the defense -- the hallmark of the team -- turned around.

"It's definitely going to get fixed," Saleh said. "I'm not discouraged in any way. Obviously, they executed a hell of a lot better than we did, and we'll be better for it."

image.jpeg.09413995558fcf4c7c1b97cdced88594.jpeg.5c69c2f41b3e15e9b7808ec37400c4c1.jpeg

The Jets, who next face the Tennessee Titans (0-1) on the road, allowed eight consecutive scoring drives -- a stunning meltdown for a prideful defensive unit that finished No. 3 in yards allowed in 2023. It had been at least 45 years since they surrendered that many scoring drives in a row, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Kept off-balance by the 49ers' pre-snap motion and misdirection, the Jets were shredded for 147 rushing yards by Christian McCaffrey's understudy, Jordan Mason. Afterward, Saleh and the players were quick to credit the 49ers and their scheme.

"They're a good football team," said cornerback Sauce Gardner, who missed nine snaps because he got the wind knocked out of him. "You know, they just played in the Super Bowl."

The Jets, with eight returning starters on defense, brought Super Bowl aspirations into the season. Except for a seven-minute touchdown drive in the first quarter, they were thoroughly outplayed -- a wake-up call, some players said. They missed 18 tackles, per Pro Football Focus, and generated little pass rush without holdout edge rusher Haason Reddick.

The offense, too, was responsible, as it was unable to sustain drives. They held the ball for only 21 minutes, 20 seconds, the lowest time of possession in Rodgers' 225 career starts. Rodgers threw an interception, Breece Hall lost a fumble and Allen Lazard dropped a third-down pass -- among the biggest miscues.

The Jets looked out of sync, perhaps because none of the starters played in the preseason. Saleh insisted "there's a lot of confidence on that side" of the ball, adding, "Our offense can be really good this year."

It can only go up after last season, when they produced a league-low 18 touchdowns. On Monday night, the starting unit generated only two touchdowns, including a 12-play, 70-yard drive that lasted longer (7:07) than any drive last season.

I think our offense is in a really good place," Saleh said. "I thought it was a good first outing in terms of the quarterback hadn't played in so long. But there was a lot of encouraging things, and I know it's going to be a lot better once we balance out this team."

Rodgers (13-of-21, 167 yards, one touchdown) wasn't happy with his performance, but was grateful to be back on the field. The team echoed that sentiment, especially after last season's devastating injury.

"There's no panic in him, for sure," Saleh said of the future Hall of Famer. "He was a calm force on the sideline, and I think [Monday] night provided a lot of closure for him with regards to finishing the game and knocking that out."

Actually, Rodgers was pulled late in the fourth quarter with the game out of reach. But at least he was able to walk off the field

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

41 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The team that won game one last year looked a lot better with the Pride of Utah than this team with a HOF QB.

It's my hot take but I stand by it.

Yea for 1 game. The team with the HOF QB will almost certainly be better after 17 games are played. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, doitny said:

he is right. i feel better this year at 0-1 than last year at 1-0.

all of us knew the season was over when Rodgers got hurt.  with Rodgers here now we have hope for a good season.

I honestly thought JD would trade for a “ decent “ qb at least . Had he done that, I think jets probably make the playoffs. 7 games won with terrible qb play. 

• Upvote 1

Rodgers showed incredible arm talent.  He also showed he is slow of foot and his processing skills are in decline.  I can’t see him holding up for the season.  If the Jets D up front is pushed around going forward and it’s clear he has to carry the team it’s not happening. 

He wants it bad.  He wants to go out on top.  If he gets the sense that the D isn’t good enough to get there I could see him retiring in season.  

We better stack wins or the wheels will fly off like never before.  This season has potential to be very good but it still rests on the D.  If they falter this is going to be an epic collapse.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is plain and obvious but the usual suspects will lose their mind over it.

Personally Aaron got past 4 plays and I for one feel pretty excited about what’s to come. Yet, honestly I didn’t expect our defense to get bullied. That part was unpleasant but I can see it improving. 

• Upvote 4

This is just my opinion, but we should never feel good about a loss, no matter the circumstances.

I certainly don't feel good about the beating the Jets took on Monday night.

Does that mean the rest of the season is hopeless and there is no reason for optimism?

Absolutely not.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is just my opinion, but we should never feel good about a loss, no matter the circumstances.

I certainly don't feel good about the beating the Jets took on Monday night.

Does that mean the rest of the season is hopeless and there is no reason for optimism?

Absolutely not.

I think there's a big difference between saying you feel good about a loss and saying you feel better about the rest of season with Aaron Rodgers available at 0-1 than you did about the season without Aaron Rodgers at 1-0.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think there's a big difference between saying you feel good about a loss and saying you feel better about the rest of season with Aaron Rodgers available at 0-1 than you did about the season without Aaron Rodgers at 1-0.

I said there is still reason for optimism.

Yes, it's great that Aaron Rodgers didn't get hurt, but the team grossly under-performed, which I don't feel very good about.

Hopefully, we can right the ship on Sunday.

The whole team needs to man-up.

• Upvote 3

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

I said there is still reason for optimism.

Yes, it's great that Aaron Rodgers didn't get hurt, but the team grossly under-performed, which I don't feel very good about.

I agree - the team looked like ass and got it's collective dicks kicked in. If the defense continues to look like that there won't be much room for optimism.

I just don't think Saleh was saying he felt good about the loss is all I'm saying. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I just don't think Saleh was saying he felt good about the loss is all I'm saying. 

That's obvious and that's not the point behind this thread. Maybe Saleh should learn the Bellicheat's approach and shut his mouth.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This team is built on a stout D and running the ball.  We were pushed around on D and couldn’t run the ball.  The goal this year is competent QB play to complement not carry the team deep into the playoffs. 

Expecting Rodgers who still has the great arm and accuracy to actually carry the team is a complete reach.  The real problem with game 1 this year vs. game 1 last year is the Jets last year played Defense and ran the ball.  The Jets didn’t do either of those things on Monday night.  

The Jets are a good to great team if we have a top 3 D and a top 5 running game.  Couple that with an accurate QB who doesn’t have to drop back and take pressure all the time and you have the formula to actually win.   What was disturbing Monday night is the Jets were completely taken out of their game by the 49ers.   Rodgers isn’t saving the team we saw Monday night.

The entire thought process here was “imagine Aaron Rodgers with the Jets defense!” so it would be kind of hilarious if the defense he actually gets is the 2021 version

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The entire thought process here was “imagine Aaron Rodgers with the Jets defense!” so it would be kind of hilarious if the defense he actually gets is the 2021 version

I was looking forward to seeing a dominating Jets D and an O that could run the ball and convert enough big plays to score points in bunches.   It’s sort of funny, the funny that makes you squirm while laughing. 

I have no problem admitting that I hate both Woody and Rodgers and think Saleh is a boob.  I still root for the laundry every week and while disliking Rodgers, recognize that he still has amazing arm talent even though he has lost a step and he doesn’t appear to be totally focused.

15 minutes ago, Bronx said:

That's obvious and that's not the point behind this thread. Maybe Saleh should learn the Bellicheat's approach and shut his mouth.  

Maybe follow along with the conversation I was having before telling me it's not the point.

Maybe Belichick is a douche in press conferences and gets away with it because he had Tom Brady and Superbowl wins?

I'm not a fan of Saleh as a head coach but I don't think trying to act like someone you're not is a great approach. He was asked a direct question and answered it. Mangini tried the whole act like Belichick thing. It doesn't work without the resume or authenticity.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers showed incredible arm talent.  He also showed he is slow of foot and his processing skills are in decline.  I can’t see him holding up for the season.  If the Jets D up front is pushed around going forward and it’s clear he has to carry the team it’s not happening. 

He wants it bad.  He wants to go out on top.  If he gets the sense that the D isn’t good enough to get there I could see him retiring in season.  

We better stack wins or the wheels will fly off like never before.  This season has potential to be very good but it still rests on the D.  If they falter this is going to be an epic collapse.

retiring in mid season would be a mark on his career. means he quit on us. hes not doing that.

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

hilarious isn't the word I'd use to describe it but I'd be lying if I didn't say that fear is lingering in the back of my mind. I do trust this CS with getting the d right though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

In other words, having your starting QB feels better than not having your starting QB.

is this controversial? 

No, of course not.   It's just a stupid thing to say.   It's also piling on Zach Wilson-making more excuses for his past failures.

34 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This team is built on a stout D and running the ball.  We were pushed around on D and couldn’t run the ball.  The goal this year is competent QB play to complement not carry the team deep into the playoffs. 

Expecting Rodgers who still has the great arm and accuracy to actually carry the team is a complete reach.  The real problem with game 1 this year vs. game 1 last year is the Jets last year played Defense and ran the ball.  The Jets didn’t do either of those things on Monday night.  

The Jets are a good to great team if we have a top 3 D and a top 5 running game.  Couple that with an accurate QB who doesn’t have to drop back and take pressure all the time and you have the formula to actually win.   What was disturbing Monday night is the Jets were completely taken out of their game by the 49ers.   Rodgers isn’t saving the team we saw Monday night.

Well said, which brings me to the biggest fear I had headed into this season:

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If the defense is just ordinary now (or worse), we aren’t winning d*ck 

9 hours ago, Bronx said:

"They're a good football team," said cornerback Sauce Gardner, who missed nine snaps because he got the wind knocked out of him. "You know, they just played in the Super Bowl."

It's statements like this that bring to reality that this isn't a SB contender.  No knock on Sauce.  I get what he's saying.

But it's takes a few years of being good and being prepared for big games...To build the confidence in your roster and team to make SB runs.  It's like you have to make a run or two before you find a way to win the big one.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It's statements like this that bring to reality that this isn't a SB contender.  No knock on Sauce.  I get what he's saying.

But it's takes a few years of being good and being prepared for big games...To build the confidence in your roster and team to make SB runs.  It's like you have to make a run or two before you find a way to win the big one.

We did have a run last year.  We won 2 of out 3 games after we were eliminated from the playoffs.

• Haha 1