Not an over-reaction. The Jets defense had 18 missed tackles in the MNF loss to the 49er's. This HAS to be cleaned up.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs thought he could reinvent football with the way he treats preseason and training camp. Blocking and tackling still happens to matter though. Pure arrogance.

Not tackling might be about not getting reps. But these guys should be working in camp to get those reps whether they did or didn't play in the preseason. It's basics and they failed miserably. Genuinely shocked Niners only had 180 yards rushing because looked like they opened up gaps at will vs. the  Jets' front 7. Jets leading tacklers were all DBs, which is a bad sign. 

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Tackling - defensive football 101 and the Jets were exceptionally bad at it on Monday night. 18 missed tackles is unacceptable - period.

Again, I'm not a PFF fan and don't really give a crap about their grades - but you simply can't ignore 18 missed tackles on defense - no wonder they coudln't get off the field.

PFF: How many tackles did New York Jets miss vs. San Francisco 49ers? (usatoday.com)

The New York Jets were beaten on all fronts against the San Francisco 49ers in their 2024 NFL season opener.

The Jets lost 32-19 and while their offense couldn’t stay on the field, the defense matched that by not getting off of it. A big reason for that was a slew of missed tackles.

The clear misses on defense is what led to San Francisco running back Jordan Mason ripping off 147 rushing yards and a touchdown despite being relatively unknown.

Did you keep track of how many times New York’s defense missed tackles? Pro Football Focus did.

According to the football analytics outlet, Gang Green tried and failed to tackle 49ers players 18 total times. Woof.

Per PFF’s metrics, here were the worst grades handed out to Jets defenders for tackling in Week 1 as well:

• Jermaine Johnson: 25.3
  • Ashtyn Davis: 26.6
  • Sauce Gardner: 27.6
  • Will McDonald: 27.7
  • Jamien Sherwood: 30.0
  • Quinnen Williams: 38.9
  • Solomon Thomas: 40.0

I agree, pff IS HOT GARBAGE ... Anyone who watched that game saw countless missed tackles on the Jets part. 

• Upvote 1

You get out what you put in.

They looked like a team that’s been practicing half-speed 2-hand touch all summer.

They weren’t ready for the speed or physicality SF brought to the field.

It’s just another piece of evidence in a slam dunk case against this joke of a head coach.

I hate to say it because he’s by all accounts a nice guy, but as long suffering fans, we deserve better than this fraud — much, much better.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

There were a ton of missed tackles in all the games I watched. Given the reduced playing time in pre-season the early weeks are sloppy. I expect the Jets defense will do much better in that regard each week.

Hopefully by week nine, we can be mediocre.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Not tackling might be about not getting reps. But these guys should be working in camp to get those reps whether they did or didn't play in the preseason. It's basics and they failed miserably. Genuinely shocked Niners only had 180 yards rushing because looked like they opened up gaps at will vs. the  Jets' front 7. Jets leading tacklers were all DBs, which is a bad sign. 

Thinking you can manifest vibes into cutting corners and skipping blocking and tackling is a big time FU to football. It’s a shame it’s gone on this long. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Thinking you can manifest vibes into cutting corners and skipping blocking and tackling is a big time FU to football. It’s a shame it’s gone on this long. 

Exactly 

It’s like how can you improve at something without actually doing it??

I get wanting to avoid injury, but you still have to prepare yourself to play an actual NFL game

You can’t go in expecting the other team to play at half-speed just because that’s what your coach 🤡has conditioned you to do with his club med vibe practices 

• Upvote 1

I know the narrative was that this was a "tough camp" but that's just nonsense.

Most practices were less than 90 minutes long and they averaged less than 4 practices a week.

Preseason games were essentially 3 day weekends for the top half of the roster.

I know the Jets are not alone in this approach, but it explains why these first games of the season are such ass.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

LOL! 

When are we extending this beast at 30m per year?  

WM has bust written all over. 

Come on man, we aren't extending Sauce to tackle anyone. Hell I hope he never does again. Plus he's the only one to take Deebo down when Deebo broke like 6 tackles in the backfield. You trying a little too hard again. But yes. Will McDonald is basically cold french fries at this point. 

• Haha 1

Saleh could go 10-7 and make the playoffs and it wouldn’t change anything for me.

It’s clear as day he’s a loser with a loser mentality.

It might be hard to accept, but he’s just not the guy.

He’s a DC who rode Shanahan’s coattails for 3 years or whatever.

News flash:  basically every DC in SF has success because Kyle is a great HC and because they have great players.

Saleh has to go.

He’s accomplished absolutely nothing as a head coach at any level.

He’s given zero indication he’s learned anything, that he’s been humbled one iota or is capable of changing his ways.

The sooner Joe Douglas and the Johnson bros realize this, the better off we’ll be.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Most practices were less than 90 minutes long and they averaged less than 4 practices a week.

I know the Jets are not alone in this approach, but it explains why these first games of the season are such ass.

Can you shout this out for the people in the back. 

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Walk through 

This is bullsh!t.

Saleh's non-chalant, player-friendly, approach to coaching is really starting to irritate me.

They should be practicing, not doing a flipping walk-through.

They need all the practice they can get.

12 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Next year when Vrabel is here we'll here about how much harder this camp is than it ever was under coach Bob.  but hey, at least they weren't having barbeques before getting run all over by SF.  

• Haha 1

Looking at those clips, Johnson is the only one that got embarrassed.  He is also probably the only one that did his job.  He took the guy on and forced the run to a different hole.  Quinnen was well away from the play, but whatever.  The rest of these guys got used.  On the Clemons play, you also had Quincy going way outside and making the hole a mile wide.  Sherwood jumping inside instead of squeezing.  Adams giving very little effort and Sauce giving his usual lack of run support.  The problem goes well beyond guys getting blown up.

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is bullsh!t.

Saleh's non-chalant, player-friendly, approach to coaching is really starting to irritate me.

They should be practicing, not doing a flipping walk-through.

They need all the practice they can get.

They are limited in how many practices they can have.  It's in the CBA.  This sh*t isn't news to anybody.  They got their asses handed to them.  That doesn't mean they can pretend to be Vince Lombardi and have 2 a days all week.

3 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

What's the difference between practicing in shorts and walk through? 

I'm not sure.  I wore shorts to practice all year.  In pads and out.  Hell, I chopped my game pants up enough that my knees were showing.  I bet @HessStation did something similar.

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Next year when Vrabel is here we'll here about how much harder this camp is than it ever was under coach Bob.  but hey, at least they weren't having barbeques before getting run all over by SF.  

Please not that ******* squid.  Please.

• Sympathy 1

The OP gave me crap about being negative during the offseason. I kept saying that these are the jets and I have seen this movie 10000 times before. I will believe it when I actually see it. Monday night I saw the same old jets. Just awful. It was not jut tackling it was everything. 

So allow me to be a pessimist 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The OP gave me crap about being negative during the offseason. I kept saying that these are the jets and I have seen this movie 10000 times before. I will believe it when I actually see it. Monday night I saw the same old jets. Just awful. It was not jut tackling it was everything. 

So allow me to be a pessimist 

Be whatever you want to be, and great points BTW.  Numbers don't lie and our 15th anniversary is just around the corner.