Mike Florio & the entire FNIA Team take aim at the Jets Organization on National TV.

On 9/16/2024 at 6:58 PM, Integrity28 said:

So, they half right. The Jets are a clown show for QB development.

Id also argue that most QB prospects need 3-5 years in the league just to be average. We often allow the special players to set our expectations for immediate excellence. Most of these guys take time. Even Brady was an entirely different QB by his 5th year or so. Early on, they hid him and minimized his role as much as possible.

Uh oh, you about to get dick kicked by jf80 and jgb for this take

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2024 at 6:51 PM, WestCoastMole said:

Ok here is the link ..... the segment begins at 18:10. The discussion begins with the Football Night in America discussing the Vikings win over the 49ers and the brilliant job Sam Darnold has pulled off in the opening 2 Weeks of the season. Maria Taylor goes on to talk about what Geno Smith has done with the Seahawks. Then Devon McCordy chimes in "Zach Wilson should be excited somewhere" I hope the Youtube Crowd like Matt O'Leary, Kevin Sirkin, and Ryan from Jets Talk 24/7 are watching this stuff. It's the Youtube Crowd that keep harping on the line that the Jets Poor Quarterback Play was the cause of the team's poor record the last few years. Now these Analysts are throwing it back in their faces. When guys like Geno Smith are putting it all together with other teams maybe maybe its time to realize the problem is bigger than a handful of failed quarterback prospect. Even Mathew Berry and Jason Garrett have a few choice words.

No mention of the renewed NFL careers of Sanchez, Hackenberg, Petty? 

On 9/16/2024 at 6:51 PM, WestCoastMole said:

Ok here is the link ..... the segment begins at 18:10. The discussion begins with the Football Night in America discussing the Vikings win over the 49ers and the brilliant job Sam Darnold has pulled off in the opening 2 Weeks of the season. Maria Taylor goes on to talk about what Geno Smith has done with the Seahawks. Then Devon McCordy chimes in "Zach Wilson should be excited somewhere" I hope the Youtube Crowd like Matt O'Leary, Kevin Sirkin, and Ryan from Jets Talk 24/7 are watching this stuff. It's the Youtube Crowd that keep harping on the line that the Jets Poor Quarterback Play was the cause of the team's poor record the last few years. Now these Analysts are throwing it back in their faces. When guys like Geno Smith are putting it all together with other teams maybe maybe its time to realize the problem is bigger than a handful of failed quarterback prospect. Even Mathew Berry and Jason Garrett have a few choice words.

Which is the bigger waste of time, reading this thread or watching that  garbage?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW, I think the main point is a fair one, a highly drafted QB is most likely going to a bad team that has more problems than just a QB. The coaching is either bad or unproven and the players are undoubtedly not good. Why throw a kid in their to start? With few exceptions, in those circumstances a rookie QB has next to no chance of succeeding. These guys have to sit unless they are being placed on a complete team see e.g. Lamar Jackson and Brock Purdy.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

A rising tide lifts all boats. Legitimately good QB's makes the players around them better, not the other way around, and that includes coaches. Geno and Darnold had YEARS to prove themselves with the Jets and were sub par QB's. The only thing that has benefited them both over the years as they have drifted from team to team after the Jets is TIME and MATURITY. Glad for their successes (jury is really still out on Darnold), but the Jets couldn't give them 7 years each to figure it out.   

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

For Geno, his time with the Jets was a learning experience.

For example, Geno learned not to mouth off to the linebackers.

Geno’s tenure with the giants wasn’t exactly impressive either.  He lost his assigned iPad that had the playbook and then lied about it.  Pete Carroll whipped him into shape in seattle

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

FWIW, I think the main point is a fair one, a highly drafted QB is most likely going to a bad team that has more problems than just a QB. The coaching is either bad or unproven and the players are undoubtedly not good. Why throw a kid in their to start? With few exceptions, in those circumstances a rookie QB has next to no chance of succeeding. These guys have to sit unless they are being placed on a complete team see e.g. Lamar Jackson and Brock Purdy.

Well said Sonny. You scored a bullseye !

I always liked Sonny ;-)

On 9/17/2024 at 6:51 AM, JKlecko said:

Yes they did.  You'd have to ask them why, but I suspect that they thought that Purdy had a higher upside, and they were right. It doesn't mean that Sam hasn't learned and improved.

Joe you have to remember Shanny doesn't need Darnold on the team this year to watch him. Darnold signed a 1 Year Deal with Minnesota and Purdy is in the final year of his contract. Next year much will depend on what type of contract Purdy and his Agent are seeking. If they are looking for a Blockbuster Contract for Purdy then signing Sam could be the fiscally prudent thing to do. According to OTC the 9ers are currently set at Mid-Pack for 2025 with 55 million available and some big ticket players that have to be signed. For 2026 the situation is worse. The 9ers are ranked 30th in available Cap Space with only 16 Million Dollars available. The 9ers have to restructure a number of contracts to kick a bunch of money forward. Which is weird. The last thing the 9ers need is another Blockbuster. Yes the 9ers could Franchise Tag Purdy. But that only gets them 2 years of relief 1 year at a time. Then 2027 the 9ers will be competing with the rest of the NFL for Purdy's Services.

The 9ers could easily sign Sam to a 3 Year 30 Million Dollar plus contract that is front loaded and has incentives in the final year with the first 2 years fully guaranteed. Then the 9ers could tell Purdy to go find his Mega Contract else where. If things work out with Darnold and San Francisco in 2025 and 2026 the 9ers could restructure his contract. Darnold's current contract with Minnesota has nothing but Void Years for 2025 thru 2028. If Darnold is cut or released after 2024 Minnesota is hit with a 5 Million Dollar Dead Cap Charge.

On 9/17/2024 at 1:42 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Mediocre would be an improvement.  Least mediocre gets in the playoffs once in a while!

Back to back AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez.   Tannenbaum who was Parcells cap guy was a better judge of team construction than JD who’s a professional talent evaluator.

• Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 2

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

Joe you have to remember Shanny doesn't need Darnold on the team this year to watch him. Darnold signed a 1 Year Deal with Minnesota and Purdy is in the final year of his contract. Next year much will depend on what type of contract Purdy and his Agent are seeking. If they are looking for a Blockbuster Contract for Purdy then signing Sam could be the fiscally prudent thing to do. According to OTC the 9ers are currently set at Mid-Pack for 2025 with 55 million available and some big ticket players that have to be signed. For 2026 the situation is worse. The 9ers are ranked 30th in available Cap Space with only 16 Million Dollars available. The 9ers have to restructure a number of contracts to kick a bunch of money forward. Which is weird. The last thing the 9ers need is another Blockbuster. Yes the 9ers could Franchise Tag Purdy. But that only gets them 2 years of relief 1 year at a time. Then 2027 the 9ers will be competing with the rest of the NFL for Purdy's Services.

The 9ers could easily sign Sam to a 3 Year 30 Million Dollar plus contract that is front loaded and has incentives in the final year with the first 2 years fully guaranteed. Then the 9ers could tell Purdy to go find his Mega Contract else where. If things work out with Darnold and San Francisco in 2025 and 2026 the 9ers could restructure his contract. Darnold's current contract with Minnesota has nothing but Void Years for 2025 thru 2028. If Darnold is cut or released after 2024 Minnesota is hit with a 5 Million Dollar Dead Cap Charge.

Huh?  I don't understand your point and this response to my post.  I was responding to a poster who seemed to be implying that Darnold still was not a good QB.  It had nothing to do with how you have responded.

The Niners either didn't keep Sam because they couldn't afford to as a backup, or they didn't think that he was as good as Purdy.  I don't think the Niners released Sam thinking, that they could just re-sign him next year if Purdy wants too much money. 

I don't think the Niners could "easily " sign Sam to that deal if he plays at a high level this year because other teams will be interested in his services, and even the Vikings could decide to try to keep him. and his value will rise, perhaps precipitously.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Back to back AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez.   Tannenbaum who was Parcells cap guy was a better judge of team construction than JD who’s a professional talent evaluator.

Yeah because 3- and 4-player drafts are the right way to build a roster.  SMH at some of the dumbass crap I see on Jets fan sites.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

A rising tide lifts all boats. Legitimately good QB's makes the players around them better, not the other way around, and that includes coaches. Geno and Darnold had YEARS to prove themselves with the Jets and were sub par QB's. The only thing that has benefited them both over the years as they have drifted from team to team after the Jets is TIME and MATURITY. Glad for their successes (jury is really still out on Darnold), but the Jets couldn't give them 7 years each to figure it out.   

No one is suggesting that the Jets should have given any of those QBs 7 years to figure it out.  You are mistaken that the only thing that has benefitted them was time an maturity.  You're leaving out the most important things...superior coaching, better scheme fit, and having a solid OL and weapons around them.  If neither of them had been forced to start their rookie seasons, received better coaching, and when they did start have a solid OL and weapons around them they might have succeeded in 2-3 years.

It's also not just that QBs make the players around them better.  It works both ways, and probably more often the opposite, especially with young QBs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

No one is suggesting that the Jets should have given any of those QBs 7 years to figure it out.  You are mistaken that the only thing that has benefitted them was time an maturity.  You're leaving out the most important things...superior coaching, better scheme fit, and having a solid OL and weapons around them.  If neither of them had been forced to start their rookie seasons, received better coaching, and when they did start have a solid OL and weapons around them they might have succeeded in 2-3 years.

It's also not just that QBs make the players around them better.  It works both ways, and probably more often the opposite, especially with young QBs.

To rephrase what you said ....The Cincinnati Bengals WERE BUILT when they drafted Joe Burrow, the Buffalo WERE BUILT when they drafted Josh Allen,and the San Francisco 49ers WERE BUILT when they drafted Brock Purdy. The Jets FO was in the process of tearing apart the team when they Drafted Zach Wilson. The situation wasn't much better when they drafted Darnold. They were in the process of switching Head Coaches. As if Darnold and Wilson didn't have enough on their plates adapting to the Pro Game they had to contend with a Coaching Staff that was in a state of flux and didn't even have a stable offensive program.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Huh?  I don't understand your point and this response to my post.  I was responding to a poster who seemed to be implying that Darnold still was not a good QB.  It had nothing to do with how you have responded.

The Niners either didn't keep Sam because they couldn't afford to as a backup, or they didn't think that he was as good as Purdy.  I don't think the Niners released Sam thinking, that they could just re-sign him next year if Purdy wants too much money. 

I don't think the Niners could "easily " sign Sam to that deal if he plays at a high level this year because other teams will be interested in his services, and even the Vikings could decide to try to keep him. and his value will rise, perhaps precipitously.

It's not that Shannahan thought that Purdy has a higher upside ...... quite the opposite .... they think Darnold has the higher upside but the 9ers have Purdy under contract NOW for the very last year. Shannahan has seen Darnold in practice and knows better than you or me what he is capable of. Like Purdy Darnold is only under contract for 2024 only. What I am pointing out is both players are coming up for new contracts in 2025. And there is a good possibility Purdy and his Agent will be seeking a a Top Tier QB Contract. Purdy is known for being "A System Quarterback" that doesn't have a strong arm. Are the 9ers going to pay Top Dollar for that ? We have know idea the number of plays Shannahan has to carve off his Play Sheet because Purdy doesn't have the juice to execute them.

I have been a loyal reader of PFT pretty much since its launch, but Florio is really passing me off lately with his anti-Jets bias.  He really hates the Jets -- check out this below article from earlier today.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/the-next-quarterback-class-should-collectively-refuse-to-play-for-david-tepper

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I have been a loyal reader of PFT pretty much since its launch, but Florio is really passing me off lately with his anti-Jets bias.  He really hates the Jets -- check out this below article from earlier today.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/the-next-quarterback-class-should-collectively-refuse-to-play-for-david-tepper

I think Florio has a point. These Rookie QBs are being thrown into a situation where the Team is in a shambles and they are immediately expected to win with little to no preparation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

I think Florio has a point. These Rookie QBs are being thrown into a situation where the Team is in a shambles and they are immediately expected to win with little to no preparation.

I get that to an extent, but he's also ignoring the very real possibility that those QBs were just never going to live up to where they were drafted regardless of how good of an infrastructure was around them.  I mean think about what an immature douche Geno was as a Jet?  Was it a failure on the Jets coaching staff that he stiffed his teammate by not showing up at his football camp?

Consider the source. I've said it here before, Florio is a complete a$$ clown with zero credibility. His stance on any article he writes is the opposite of 90% of football fans. His PFT articles are unreadable. He actually wrote 7 articles the day Tua got hurt last Sunday. 7 !! All basically the same blah blah blah.  This failed lawyer is clueless. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Consider the source. I've said it here before, Florio is a complete a$$ clown with zero credibility. His stance on any article he writes is the opposite of 90% of football fans. His PFT articles are unreadable. He actually wrote 7 articles the day Tua got hurt last Sunday. 7 !! All basically the same blah blah blah.  This failed lawyer is clueless. 

He’s a huge liberal and he knows Woody is not, and so I think that colors his opinion about the Jets.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

He’s a huge liberal and he knows Woody is not, and so I think that colors his opinion about the Jets.  

Hmmm that's very possible. I know he's a very small person, in more ways than one. 

14 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Mostly disagree.  There hasn't been many examples over the last 20 years of a QB coming into into the league who was pretty lousy in his first year or two but turned it around over the next few years of his career.  In the modern NFL, QB's now come into the league with experience running pro style offenses and hit the ground running.  You can pretty much tell if a QB is going to be good or bad after one season.  The bad QB's stay bad, regardless of coaching or supporting cast, but the good QB's, to your point, CAN become better and even great with good coaching and roster support.  The Jets have drafted BAD QB's for the last two decades.  

The NFL as a whole has some kind of incompetency regarding patience. As a hockey fan first, pro athletes (other than generational talent) needs 3-5 years to grow into the league. Somehow in the NFL, with all their resources available, can't seem to figure this out. 

Yes the jets did this with Gino and Darnold, who both had some success with the jets (Wilson will not end up like this he's shown nothing(. This panel seems to have forgotten quickly that Carolina asm well as SF also gave up on Darnold. I can't think of it off the top of my head but I'm sure Gino had stops between us and Seattle. How about the browns and Carolina letting go of baker. The rams gave up a first and Goff for Stafford. Who I've always thought was only as good as Goff. The raiders let carr go for nothing. The browns let fields go for Williams (I don't care what anyone says, he has attitude issues and looks like sh*t).

This is a league wide problem. Not just in the jets org. Most QBs that should have 1-2 years redshirt and be surrounded by weapons and a good Oline before named starter. 

Last thought.

Let's not act like the vikings ******* chose Darnold lol. They were going to make the same dumb ass mistake these other teams made with JJ. It was a blessing he got hurt for them.

13 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

He’s mad the jets moved on from Zach