OT: RIP Pete Rose

3 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

MLB should be ashamed . They treat Ohtani with kid gloves and let Pete die before he gets in the Hall of Fame . MLB - YOU SUCK !!!!! 

Yep. 

rough day with Rose and Mutombo 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yep. 

rough day with Rose and Mutombo 

Mutumbo?????

oh no. Actually, I have a quick little story about that guy. My friend was an attorney in Atlanta in like the 90s I guess. He had been drinking way too much and had a drinking problem. On the day that he hit rock-bottom he left his apartment, and went to look for his car which was nowhere to be found, and he just didn’t know where it was. He was still drunk from the night before he walked all the way to this liquor store and grab whatever he wanted and went to pay for it, and he realized he didn’t own a wallet anymore , he didn’t know what to do. Well guess who was standing right behind them online? That’s right motumbo bought him the bottle of whatever it was when he left the liquor store. He walked back to his apartment and a crow came down and attacked his face and he dropped the bottle and broken and that’s when he called his dad to drive down from New York  to pick him up because he needed help 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

So many legends passing within the last day. Kris Kristofferson hit me hard especially, one of the greatest songwriters and a guy who lived an amazing life (plus I loved the Blade movies).

Dikembe Mutombo also hit hard because I loved the guys flair and his game, seemed like a great guy.

Pete Rose is a legend, and it's really tragic to see his story end as it did. He committed the ultimate Baseball sin, but he should be remembered for what he did on the field which was incredible.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Why not? Honestly would like to hear thoughts on this 

Baseball has 1 rule.  Don't bet on the game.

As manager of the Reds, fully knowing the rules, he bet on the game.   Then he lied about it, for decades.

Is it ridiculous how baseball covered for Ohtani?  Yes. No more then the hypocrisy around steroids.  

But, to me, as an adult.  You have a job. You know the rules. You know the punishment.  You blatantly break the rules.   Don't complain about the punishment.

• Upvote 1

Rose is never getting in the Hall. Shoeless Joe Jackson never has, and there was no actual proof he threw games in the World Series.

The betting was only part of Rose's issues. He had a relationship with a minor while he was married with children, and he was convicted of tax evasion.

Wonderful player. Less than wonderful human.

27 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Baseball HOF is a joke without him being inducted.  Ty Cobb killed a guy and was a big racist, yet he got in.  
Time to make things right.  Hate to hear that.

RIP Mutumbo, Kristopherson and Rose.

Legends

Shame on baseball and Mutombo was a Knick killer, especially during the 94 finals. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Ty Cobb killed a guy and was a big racist, yet he got in.  

Cobb actually supported integration on the baseball field, and was apparently no more racist than most people of his era. Many of the stories of his racism and antipathy towards African-American people appear to have been made up by people who had a grudge against Cobb for whatever reason (reputedly Cobb was difficult to get along with).

This article talks about Al Stump making stuff up about Cobb.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-knife-in-ty-cobbs-back-65618032/

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

That’s where I read it in Stumps book that was the source for the movie with Tommy Lee Jones in it.  
Thanks.

Charles Leerhsen did an extensive book on all this about 10 years ago. Stump lied to rob his estate after his death and also sell the book. Cobb's dad was an abolitionist and Cobb himself publically applauded integration, zero credible evidence from any NL players to show anything other than he had great respect for guys like Robinson and Campanella, he was happy they got their shot.

The whole story about the murder is 99% made up and from a loose quote that Stump just ran with.

• Upvote 2