G5 Mistakes: why so many mental errors?

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

He looked shell shocked after the game last night during post game interviews. Only the third year in a row this team has shattered his confidence and will to be good. 

I think the past two years the organization basically told him all of his problems were the QB's fault.  It's now hitting him that it just might be him.

• Upvote 2

He's been one of my favorite Jets for a few years now, but I've consistently lamented the fact that he's a body catcher. Last week against the Bills in the end zone he tried body catching it and dropped it, this week he tries body catching it and it jumps up in the air. Both were back-breaking turning points. 

Crazy to me that a guy can go to OSU, become a top draft pick, OROY, and be considered a potential super star....but was never taught to catch with his hands. 

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1

Wilson just seems checked out at this point. He’s probably a good kid, but his lack of focus and attention to detail is a huge liability on the field. He drops passes, and honestly, I can’t think of a single difficult catch he’s made over the last 41 games. Last night, I saw George Pickens make more tough catches in one game than Wilson has in the past two and a half years. He just doesn’t win 50-50 balls.

And when he's jumping off-sides and causing interceptions, it's time for him to take a seat.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe he's just not as good as you all think he is?

He's overrated.

Any time a Jets player shows any semblance of semi-competent play in the NFL, he's made out to be the second coming.

He's a solid, talented player.  He's not a game changing elite talent.  He would make a fine #2 WR on a Superbowl contending team, but he's not someone you build your team around.

Someone needs to tell him that the "stop all your momentum juke move" should be used sparingly, not every time you touch the football.  It may work in practice and training camp when the defenders are not actually trying to tackle you, but real NFL defenses can stop it pretty easily.  Keep your momentum moving forward for positive yards please.

• Upvote 3

Belichick on McAfee today said a bunch of interesting stuff.

A few things:

-- In camp or practice, for every failed snap (botched, not clean, etc.) the QB and C would need to snap and then run up a hill and back down 20 freaking times.  The botched snaps went down to zero.

-- Yes, the details matter, but if you can't do the basics, you can't win.  If you can't tackle on D or run the ball on O (or catch balls that hit you in the hands), does anything else even matter?

-- Every single day in practice, NE would run tackling and ball security drills

-- They emphasized conditioning so that in the 4th Q, when the other team is tired or exhausted, your team always has the edge.  Whereas the Jets under Saleh / Ulbrich are fine with their all-pro DT plateau'ing at 55% of the snaps or whatever.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A few things:

-- In camp or practice, for every failed snap (botched, not clean, etc.) the QB and C would need to snap and then run up a hill and back down 20 freaking times.  The botched snaps went down to zero.

-- Yes, the details matter, but if you can't do the basics, you can't win.  If you can't tackle on D or run the ball on O (or catch balls that hit you in the hands), does anything else even matter?

-- They emphasized conditioning so that in the 4th Q, when the other team is tired or exhausted, your team always has the edge.  Whereas the Jets under Saleh / Ulbrich are fine with their all-pro DT plateau'ing at 55% of the snaps or whatever.

Tippman kneecapping practices this August wasn’t taken seriously. And everything you listed there the Jets would never do.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You can kill Rodgers if you want.  INT was awful.  Missing too many throws.  Or the defense.  Sauce.

Plenty of blame to go around.

But Jets are leading 15-13 to start 3rd Q

Drive 1:  G5 false start

Drive 2:  G5 ball bounces off chest for INT. (Xavier Newman stretchered off after the run back.) 

Drive 4:  G5 false start

When does Garrett stop getting a free pass?

It wasn’t just yesterday.  It’s been under the radar but it’s been happening for 3 years now.

He shows up ZW on the field as if he’s some superstar WR who deserves better and yet fails to make big-time plays when they’re there to be made:

1) ball hits him in the numbers in end zone that would have beat Buffalo

2) Fumbling after the catch, not just this year but last year

3) not keeping his feet inbounds

4) Ball bounces off him for interception late in Jags game with Strev

IMG_6328.thumb.png.d45b08176a3781dd189130acaa112017.pngIMG_6329.thumb.png.1e49feadee8a0d230a9d98f261e674b8.pngIMG_6330.thumb.png.a4a01d4a2c720ab0a57af62749262160.png

It's because for every mistake he makes, he makes a catch or play that makes you say WOW, this dude is for real. Like the catch when he dragged his toes in the end zone (last week?) or the streaking catch he made yesterday for like 24 yards? where he juked a couple of guys. And while he's a high first round pick. He's still on his rookie deal. So he's not making a boat load of money. So you can't really say - well, we pay him to make these plays regularly. And he's young, so you can't really say, well, he's  a seasoned vet, he should never make mental errors. Guess who else dropped a pass yesterday (albeit a tougher one) - Adams.  

When you say 'giving him a free pass'. What do you mean exactly? Not bringing out the pitchforks? Not posting more threads about how much he 'sucks'? You want to blame another guy for the losses this year? Sure. GW has not played as well as everyone expected. I think that's been pretty obvious. I think he deserves so me blame and I don't think a lot of fans are clearing him o f any wrongdoing here. He's been underwhelming.

However, I think in every interview I see of GW he holds himself accountable for poor play, always wants to play better, doesn't point the finger. Should he be benched? Will that make this team better? Will that make HIM better? 

49 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Wilson just seems checked out at this point. He’s probably a good kid, but his lack of focus and attention to detail is a huge liability on the field. He drops passes, and honestly, I can’t think of a single difficult catch he’s made over the last 41 games. Last night, I saw George Pickens make more tough catches in one game than Wilson has in the past two and a half years. He just doesn’t win 50-50 balls.

And when he's jumping off-sides and causing interceptions, it's time for him to take a seat.

The legit difference makers are clutch, don't show their nerves, embrace the moment.

I mean look at Soto, Giancarlo, Judge.

Maybe GW is more comfortable in a "Robin" role.

Despite his talent, he was never the true alpha even at Ohio State.

When Fields needed a big play, his go-to guy was usually Olave.

Or maybe it's just the Jets loserdom infecting and permeating everything.  I mean Tyron Smith now looks like a bum out there at times.

Who knows.  I don't think anybody really has the answers at this point.

He doesn't have to be Superman.  Not committing pre-snap penalties would be a good start.

16 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Time to face the reality that this guy is massively overrated right now and we should capitalize on his trade value now before the rest of the league figures out what some of us have known for a couple years now.

the bolded you can say for the entire team and I saw it coming a mile away -I posted a million times this team was not a top ten roster let alone a top 5 and I am just a fan watching from the stands -there were very obvious holes all over-the only position of talent was at RB-Adams arrival improves the WR room but it is probably too late at this point to make a difference. God help us

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A few things:

The Jets likely never do any of this because Saleh's mantra was "these are all great players trying to feed their families" from the get go.  I think Ulbrich was around Saleh for too long and is much the same.

As a coach, I think one really needs to treat players like numbers.  No special considerations outside QB and no making friends, on the surface at least.  Players are chess pieces you train and coach to run and play the way you want them to run and play.

And when a player f*cks up, you punish him in some way (or at least reprimand), instead of walking up to a podium and saying "he's a special player I know he'll fix it next time" over and over.

10 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

The Jets likely never do any of this because Saleh's mantra was "these are all great players trying to feed their families" from the get go.  I think Ulbrich was around Saleh for too long and is much the same.

As a coach, I think one really needs to treat players like numbers.  No special considerations outside QB and no making friends, on the surface at least.  Players are chess pieces you train and coach to run and play the way you want them to run and play.

And when a player f*cks up, you punish him in some way (or at least reprimand), instead of walking up to a podium and saying "he's a special player I know he'll fix it next time" over and over.

There’s a proper way to thread this needle without being overly militant. Salehs approach was so beyond terrible I can’t imagine how deep the next guy will have to go to reprogram the players. How was not having a preseason tolerated?

A few things:
That's the issue...Woody needs to build a hill at Florham park... we can hate Bellichek all we want but his methods work

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

I watche Nicole Hardiman making huge plays for KC yesterday.  He couldn't catch a cold on the Jets.  GW is a huge talent.  He needs and deserves superior coaching and desipline to help him develop his talent at the NFL level.   The Jets orginization if failing him.  

The Hackett hire last year and not fixing it is killing guys like GW and Hall. 

Sorry, but mental mistakes are on the players lack of focus. You can't blame not catching a ball, not paying attention, etc. on the coaches. Physical mistakes can be fixed - wrong routes, missed blocks, etc. Mental mistakes are 100% on the player. This isn't youth football. I can lay out a perfect plan for the kids I coach that are high level tennis players. Some prepare 1000% and are ready for tournaments. Some don't prepare well enough and aren't as successful. Lendl was a great player/coach. He said it's not people who have the "Will to win" that are successful, but the players who have the "Will to PREPARE to Win" that become the best players.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Tough to figure out when the whole thing is broken.

Salehs entire approach to football was so off it’s really tough to make any judgements. He didn’t treat football as if it were football. It’s really the only way I can describe it. 

It’s going to take bit to get whatever that culture he was trying to build out of the facility. New guy talking to him every day I’m sure wasn’t heartwarming to Woody either. 

He treated this team as if he was a life coach. It's why players love him as a person but in retrospect if they could choose, they would probably pick a different head coach. 

• Sympathy 1

Saleh's millennial ways caught up with the team .. there is only so much comforting you can do before the person you are trying to help becomes soft placid and weak.

I'd argue the guys don't even realize it .. as it was an effect over time. It's sad... But if you looked at the Steelers last night .. there was an edge to 95% of their guys that was missing completely in the Jets sideline.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Saleh's millennial ways caught up with the team .. there is only so much comforting you can do before the person you are trying to help becomes soft placid and weak.

I'd argue the guys don't even realize it .. as it was an effect over time. It's sad... But if you looked at the Steelers last night .. there was an edge to 95% of their guys that was missing completely in the Jets sideline.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed the Jets appear soft and concerned with social media vs real football teams made of street fighters 

29 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

He treated this team as if he was a life coach. It's why players love him as a person but in retrospect if they could choose, they would probably pick a different head coach. 

It’s possible. I also get the impression the life coach slogans stuff was to mask the half assed approach everyone took related to actual football. How can we criticize a guy who’s just trying to be positive? I think that stuff’s kind of easy to see through (especially with all of the other distractions Saleh had going on). But he pulled it off for a bit. You can’t fake practice time, reps, and preparing for a football season. The Jets were the ultimate corner cutters.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You can kill Rodgers if you want.  INT was awful.  Missing too many throws.  Or the defense.  Sauce.

Plenty of blame to go around.

But Jets are leading 15-13 to start 3rd Q

Drive 1:  G5 false start

Drive 2:  G5 ball bounces off chest for INT. (Xavier Newman stretchered off after the run back.) 

Drive 4:  G5 false start

When does Garrett stop getting a free pass?

It wasn’t just yesterday.  It’s been under the radar but it’s been happening for 3 years now.

He shows up ZW on the field as if he’s some superstar WR who deserves better and yet fails to make big-time plays when they’re there to be made:

1) ball hits him in the numbers in end zone that would have beat Buffalo

2) Fumbling after the catch, not just this year but last year

3) not keeping his feet inbounds

4) Ball bounces off him for interception late in Jags game with Strev

IMG_6328.thumb.png.d45b08176a3781dd189130acaa112017.pngIMG_6329.thumb.png.1e49feadee8a0d230a9d98f261e674b8.pngIMG_6330.thumb.png.a4a01d4a2c720ab0a57af62749262160.png

I dont know. All I can say is right now I am at an all time low which is a new feeling actually, I never thought we could have this assortment of players and not win. I mena sure we shoudl have won the last couple games and this woudl not feel as bad, but we lost to a team we literally were spanking. 

The steeler and tomlin have alwasy been coached well. They do not have the roster talent but they sure as hell have the coaching and technique down. Its hard to stomach this loss.

I think i hate the jets. It doestnt make senses wiht this roster.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont know. All I can say is right now I am at an all time low which is a new feeling actually, I never thought we could have this assortment of players and not win. I mena sure we shoudl have won the last couple games and this woudl not feel as bad, but we lost to a team we literally were spanking. 

The steeler and tomlin have alwasy been coached well. They do not have the roster talent but they sure as hell have the coaching and technique down. Its hard to stomach this loss.

I think i hate the jets. It doestnt make senses wiht this roster.

This one hit different for me.

Not sure why exactly.

Last night, I felt to some degree almost physically ill after that spectacle.  The performance was so revolting in the 2nd half.

To lose 37-15 when you’re up 15-6 with the ball is like some kind of otherworldly trauma for fans and (probably) players.

The G5 screwup INT basically ended the game.

Ulbrich’s tone is at least less of the toxic “participation trophy” positivity of Saleh but at the end of the day it has to translate to the football field.

6 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

I feel like he could have scored on the slant but decided to cut back against air 

I was saying the same thing to my wife.  Keep running to the outside he has one guy to beat.

Part of who he is is run after the catch and making people miss.  Sometimes it's just keep running, as was this case.

Imo