Pro Football HOF Finalists announced.

shawn306

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2726739

CANTON, Ohio -- Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and durable offensive lineman Bruce Matthews headline the list of 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists

• Fred Dean, DE, 1975-1981 Chargers, 1981-1985 49ers

• Richard Dent, DE, 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles

• Russ Grimm, G, 1981-1991 Redskins

• Ray Guy, P, 1973-1986 Raiders

• x-Gene Hickerson, G, 1958-1973 Browns

• Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-1999 Cowboys

• Bob Kuechenberg, G, 1970-1984 Dolphins

• Bruce Matthews, G/C, 1983-2001 Oilers/Titans

• Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles

• Andre Reed, WR, 1985-1999 Bills, 2000 Redskins

• x-Charlie Sanders, TE, 1968-1977 Lions

• Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner, 1989-2006

• Derrick Thomas, LB, 1989-1999 Chiefs

• Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-1999 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

• Andre Tippett, LB, 1982-1993 Patriots

• Roger Wehrli, CB, 1969-1982 Cardinals

• Gary Zimmerman, T, 1986-1992 Vikings, 1993-1997 Broncos

x-Seniors nominee

The Hall's Board of Selectors revealed the finalists for the Class of 2007 on Wednesday.

A total of 111 former players, coaches and contributors who made up the preliminary list of nominees were reduced to 25 semifinalists before the 17 finalists were announced.

Tagliabue, who is among the contributors on the preliminary list, served as the NFL's commissioner from 1989-2006. His reign was highlighted by record-setting television deals, labor peace and a massive stadium building program.

Under Tagliabue's leadership, the NFL grew from 28 to 32 teams and revised its divisional alignment and scheduling formula. During this time, the NFL also expanded its international appeal and presence with the creation of NFL Europe.

Matthews holds the NFL record for most games (296) and seasons (19) played at any position. He spent his entire career with the Tennessee Titans franchise, retiring after the 2001 campaign.

The other 13 modern-era finalists are running back Thurman Thomas, wide receivers Michael Irvin, Art Monk and Andre Reed, guards Russ Grimm and Bob Kuechenberg, tackle Gary Zimmerman, defensive ends Fred Dean and Richard Dent, linebackers Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett, cornerback Roger Wehrli and punter Ray Guy.

The Senior Committee nominees are guard Gene Hickerson and tight end Charlie Sanders.

The Hall of Fame class will be elected on Feb. 3, the day before Super Bowl XLI in Miami.

How is Richard Dent and Fred Dean finalists and Klecko isn't ?

Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-1999 Cowboys

I wonder if he will get in first shot?

He has been eligible for a couple years.

Not a lot of strong first-time candidates this year, which is fine by me. It will allow the HOF to right some wrongs. Hopefully, long overdue guys like Art Monk and Gary Zimmerman will get in.

Thurman Thomas, Reed and Guy are deserving. As to the rest, eh, what ever.

Zimmerman was a good player, but not a HoFer.

Kuchenberg-a guard? C'mon.

Tagliabue probabaly gets in. Yippee! Thanks, thanks so much for foisting Hermie on us for 5 years.

No Joe Klecko is a goddamn disgrace.

No Joe Klecko is a goddamn disgrace.

I agree.

I also think that Gino Cappelletti deserves to be in the HOF. He played WR, DB and kicked field goals for the Boston Patriots in the AFL.

He gets shafted because he did all his work in the AFL.

He had better not.

If Art Monk has had to wait 5 years, Irvin better wait 10.

Good point

I just figured becuase he gets more face time on TV all year it could help sway it for him, which I dont like, which is why I was curious...

HOF isnt perfect but at least its more fair than the pro-bowl voting....

Not a great class, Ray Guy and maybe D Thomas one the only ones that really stand out to me.

Monk has the numbers but he wasn't nearly as good as the great WR who played in his era. The HOF voters have been right to keep him out. Good, solid, durable in a system made for him, he was not a standout WR who was one of the best of his era.

Not a great class, Ray Guy and maybe D Thomas one the only ones that really stand out to me.

Monk has the numbers but he wasn't nearly as good as the great WR who played in his era. The HOF voters have been right to keep him out. Good, solid, durable in a system made for him, he was not a standout WR who was one of the best of his era.

Monk has 3 rings and was the NFL's all-time leading receiver when he retired.

Monk has 3 rings and was the NFL's all-time leading receiver when he retired.

I know I saw him. 3 time pro bowler also. Not in the same class as guys like Stallworth, Lofton and Largent who played in the same era. Not a HOF player, very good and played with the right team.

Andre Tippett needs to be in there.

Only 3 other LBers have 100+ sacks. LT, Rickey Jackson and Derrick Thomas.

And only one of those four linebackers is in the HOF.

Derrick Thomas should get in first. Then you can worry about Jackson and Tippett.

And only one of those four linebackers is in the HOF.

Derrick Thomas should get in first. Then you can worry about Jackson and Tippett.

I don't agree with your point, but I don't disagree either.

DT was great. Neil Smith was there also drawing attention.

Tippett did not have anyone close to Neil Smith on his DLs. Plus, the last half of his career he was the one star on some horrible teams and still producing.

I don't agree with your point, but I don't disagree either.

DT was great. Neil Smith was there also drawing attention.

Tippett did not have anyone close to Neil Smith on his DLs. Plus, the last half of his career he was the one star on some horrible teams and still producing.

Thomas was without Neil Smith for the last three years of his career, and IIRC, he had a 6 sack game against Oakland after Smith had already gone on. He was just a beast. No one knocked LT because he played with Harry Carson, Pepper Johnson, and Carl Banks. DT should be in the Hall.

Thomas was without Neil Smith for the last three years of his career, and IIRC, he had a 6 sack game against Oakland after Smith had already gone on. He was just a beast. No one knocked LT because he played with Harry Carson, Pepper Johnson, and Carl Banks. DT should be in the Hall.

True.

I have no problem with DT going and being ahead of Tippett.

However, as a Patriot fan I would elect him first. :)

Archived