What are u listening to right now?

19 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

TANTRAS: The ritual seven notes of freedom to learn and to know the ritual of life. Life is a fight between sources of evil and pure love. Alan and Chris present and relay the struggle out of which comes a positive source. Nous sommes du soleil. We are of the sun. We can see.

Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play

Open doors we find our way
We look we see we smile
Surely daybreaks cross our path
And stay maybe a while

Let them run, let them chase
Let them hide between
Constant doors will open eyes
As life seems like
Life seems like a
Fight, fight, fight

Maybe I'll just sing awhile
And then give you a call
Maybe I'll just say hello
And say maybe that's all

Hurry home as love is true
Will help us through the night
Till we're coming home again
Our life seems like
Life seems like a
Fight, fight, fight

Catch as we look and use the passions that flow
As we try to continue
We receive all we venture to give

Maybe we'll just stand awhile
And surely we can call
Dreams are said to blossom courage
Constant to the soul

Change we must as surely time does
Changes call the course
Held inside we enter daybreaks
Asking for asking four
The source
The source
The source
Sent as we sing our music's total retain

As we try and consider
We receive all we venture to give
All we sai is our
Soul constant sight listener
We won't tender our song clearer
Till we sail
Then I will be there
And I will be there
As clearer companions
Shall call to be near you
They move around tell me that
Move around surely sing
As they don't seem to matter at all
At all at all

Hold me my love, hold me today call me round
Travel we say, wander we choose love tune
Lay upon me, hold me around lasting hours
We love when we play

We hear a sound and alter our returning
We drift the shadows and course our way on home
Flying home
Going home

Look me my love sentences move dancing away
We join we receive
As our song memories long hope in a way
Nous sommes do soleil
Hold, me around, lsting ours
We love when we play
Nous sommes do soleil
Nous sommes du soleil
Nous sommes du soleil

YES

If i had too pick yes's greatest composition. This would be it. So much brilliance in their other output. But S..., this is flawless

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

High vibration go on
to the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
past a mortal as me.
Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still.
Reaching out to touch our own being
Past a mortal as we
Here we can be
We can be here,
be here now.
Here we can be.

AWAKEN SUNS HIGH STREAM through AWAKEN
GENTLE STRONG DREAMS BEGIN HERE AWAKEN
MASS .)(. MASS
TOUCH STAR,SONG,AGE,LESS TOUCHING

Workings of man
set to ply out historical life.
Reregaining the flower of the fruit of his tree.
All awakening, all restoring you.

Workings of man, crying out from the fires set aflame.
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly.

Workings of man
driven far from the path.
Rereleased in inhibitions
So that all is left for you
all is left for you
all is left for you
all this left for you now.

Master of things. Master of light.
Songs cast alight on you. All pure chance.
Hark through dark ties. As exists cross divided.
That tunnel us out of sane existence. In all encircling mode.
In challenge as direct. Oh closely guided plan.
As eyes see young stars assemble. Awaken in our heart.

Master of soul. Master of time.
Set to touch. Setting sail.
All impenetrable youth. Over all of our lands.
Ask away. And as we look.
That thought be contact. Forever closer.
With all that's clear. Shall we now bid.
Be honest with yourself. Farewell, farewell.
there's no doubt, no doubt.

High vibration go on
to the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
past a mortal as me.
Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still.
Reaching out to touch our own being
Past a mortal as we
Here we can be
We can be here.

Like the time I ran away
and turned around
and you were standing close to me.

Like the time I ran away
and turned around
and you were standing close to me.

Lyrics by Steve Howe & Jon Anderson

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Gotta agree but Siberian Khatru and Close to the Edge also make my the short list for the Yes top 3

Gotta love me some mellotron :)

Agree completely. Steve howe's solo at the end of Siberian Khatru [Yessongs ], is one of the all time great one's.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, genot said:

If i had too pick yes's greatest composition. This would be it. So much brilliance in their other output. But S..., this is flawless

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Gotta agree but Siberian Khatru and Close to the Edge also make my the short list for the Yes top 3

Gotta love me some mellotron :)

Nice choices with the Yes tunes.  I was lucky enough to have seen them a bunch of times back in the day, both with Wakeman and Patrick Moraz.  I was an aspiring bass player and struggled mightily to get even close to Chris Squire's parts on "Heart of the Sunrise" and so many other songs.  Remember even going to Manhattan to find my first set of Rotosounds strings which helped with his percussive sound.

Too many great songs to choose one favorite.  But gun to my head, I'd go with "Starship Trooper" and "And You and I".  Phenomenal vibe in both multiple part tunes.  

11 hours ago, genot said:

Perhaps the most underappreciated prog bands the seventies produced. A different vibe than Yes and others, but just as creative

Love this.  Annie Haslam has the most beautiful voice 90% of rock fans have never heard.  Just soaring.

55 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Nice choices with the Yes tunes.  I was lucky enough to have seen them a bunch of times back in the day, both with Wakeman and Patrick Moraz.  I was an aspiring bass player and struggled mightily to get even close to Chris Squire's parts on "Heart of the Sunrise" and so many other songs.  Remember even going to Manhattan to find my first set of Rotosounds strings which helped with his percussive sound.

Too many great songs to choose one favorite.  But gun to my head, I'd go with "Starship Trooper" and "And You and I".  Phenomenal vibe in both multiple part tunes.  

Love this.  Annie Haslam has the most beautiful voice 90% of rock fans have never heard.  Just soaring.

Purchase a Rickenbacker. Learn Squire's solo to the Fish live. You'll live another fifty years.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, JustEndTheSuffering said:

That was a really cool video. My Grandfather actually served in the Battle of the Bulge. 

Yeah these are good stuff, you should see the Russians digging in frozen swamps.

My grandfather fought in Japan during WW2, he wasnt very talkative about it. Brave men all of them.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Purchase a Rickenbacker. Learn Squire's solo to the Fish live. You'll live another fifty years.

Back in the 70s when I was dreaming of being a rock star, a Rik was way past what my family could afford.  Made do with a gorgeous white, maple-necked Precision.  Damn, wish I had never sold it.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Yeah these are good stuff, you should see the Russians digging in frozen swamps.

My grandfather fought in Japan during WW2, he wasnt very talkative about it. Brave men all of them.

Mine didn’t say much about it either unfortunately. He did tell some stories that were happy like when he was in France late at night he heard people walking toward and thought it was German soldiers but it turned out to be French farmers giving the Americans food. When it came to combat though he was pretty quiet. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the 70s when I was dreaming of being a rock star, a Rik was way past what my family could afford.  Made do with a gorgeous white, maple-necked Precision.  Damn, wish I had never sold it.  Oh well.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-sale-custom-4003-bass-new-arrival-4-strings/397405819.html?f=bm|GMC|pla|1471809117|59782623991|397405819|pla-297845415828|113003009|US|dreamguitars|c|2|&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=dreamguitars&utm_term=397405819&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPqTzPnE6AIVA5yzCh3eLQOBEAQYASABEgJ80PD_BwE

Just now, munchmemory said:

No thanks.  

I noticed their not shipping to the States. They used too. Coronavirus related. Trade agreement related. For the price, they're okay. I got a seven string years ago. It helped me a lot relearn the fretboard, until i purchased a high end one.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, munchmemory said:

One more from one of my idols.  I was lucky enough to see him in person back in the 70s.  Just blew my mind.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, genot said:

So I wake up EVERY morning to Joe Pass radio on Pandora. Lots of great guitarists on that thread. 

• Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So I wake up EVERY morning to Joe Pass radio on Pandora. Lots of great guitarists on that thread. 

Hey, not a guitarist, but just heard Ellis Marsalis died from COVID-19.  He was 85.  RIP.

Ellis Marsalis, jazz pianist, educator, and patriarch of the Marsalis family, has died at the age of 85. His death was announced in tweets from New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell and Jazz at Lincoln Center, where his son Wynton is managing and artistic director.

OBITUARIES

'Morning Edition' On Ellis Marsalis

Add to PLAYLIST
Toggle more options
  •  
  •  

He reportedly went into the hospital over the weekend with symptoms of pneumonia. The New York Timesreports that his son Branford says the cause of death was complications from COVID-19.

Ellis Louis Marsalis Jr. was born on Nov. 14, 1934. He graduated from Dillard University in New Orleans with a B.A. in music education, and that was the field to which he devoted himself. Despite playing with such notable jazz musicians as Cannonball and Nat Adderley, he was most proud of his work as an educator. His music students included Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison, Harry Connick Jr. and four of his sons: Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo and Jason Marsalis.

Ellis Marsalis taught at the first full-time public arts high school in New Orleans, the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, where he instructed students on the harsh realities of pursuing a career in the arts.

The former Marine put it this way to NPR in 1985: "There is no such thing as fair. The world's not fair, it's not about being fair."

Marsalis went on to become Commonwealth Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond before returning to his hometown to teach at the University of New Orleans. Yet he still managed to record more than 15 albums of his own, in addition to collaborations with his sons.

And on top of all that, he played a weekly gig at a small New Orleans club, Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro, for three decades before retiring just this year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/02/825717204/ellis-marsalis-patriarch-of-new-orleans-most-famous-musical-family-has-died

52 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Speaking of Prog bands covering West Side Story, anyone remember Keith Emerson's band before ELP?

Anything with Emerson was good listening. Heard that Lemmy actually was a roadie for these guys before Hawkwind evolved.