RUMOR: 49ers agree to terms with Adalius Thomas

Untouchable

POSTED 7:10 p.m. EST, February 26, 2007

ADALIUS HAS A DEALIO?

An industry source tells us that Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas already has a deal in place with the San Francisco 49ers.

Thomas and Niners coach Mike Nolan were together in Baltimore, when Nolan was on Brian Billick's staff.

On Sunday, Thomas admitted that the Ravens "don't have the money" to re-sign him.

I'm actually pretty happy about this.

Now we don't need to worry about breaking the bank on a single player in FA. I'd like to see us make a run at some solid guys with potential to help plug some holes on the team.

My Free Agency Wishlist:

OG Kris Dielman

CB Roderick Hood

DE Kenyon Coleman

FB Ovie Mughelli

Wow I never saw that before...

I don't buy it either..

Why would his agents commit to a team before Free Agency starts

The 49ers probably blew him away with an offer and he already has a relationship with Mike Nolan.

Even though FA hasn't started yet, teams can still talk with players and work on contracts.

Haven't you noticed how so many guys are signed as soon as the clock strikes midnight on the 1st day of free agency?

I call bull****.

First of all, Thomas is still under contract with the Ravens until Friday. If he already has a deal in place on Monday, that would be tampering.

Second of all, at 30 years old, this is the big payday he has worked all of his life for. He is not going to commit to a team 5 days before he even has the chance to test the market.

And even if this IS true (it's on PFT, the most reliable football site on the web, after all), he can't sign until Friday. The Jets still have plenty of time to blow him away. Antoine Winfield, anyone?

I call bull****.

First of all, Thomas is still under contract with the Ravens until Friday. If he already has a deal in place on Monday, that would be tampering.

Second of all, at 30 years old, this is the big payday he has worked all of his life for. He is not going to commit to a team 5 days before he even has the chance to test the market.

And even if this IS true (it's on PFT, the most reliable football site on the web, after all), he can't sign until Friday. The Jets still have plenty of time to blow him away. Antoine Winfield, anyone?

Good post....more I think about it the more skeptical I am, why blow this opportunity? I mean yea I guess if it was the Colts who were offering him a ton of money maybe.... but why compromise an opportunity to play for a team that might be a real contender for the 9ers? (Although I do think the 49ers will be alright next year)

I mean yea I guess to a guy like Tom Brady the opportunity to go to SF would be too much to pass up on and you would take the deal right away...but I don't see Thomas doing it.

I call bull****.

YUP.

PFT is far from a reliable source. Now I wouldnt be suprised if the 49ers did get him signed, but I doubt its already done like PFT says.

PFT Was the first site to report the Herm situation.

The 49ers may very well have a deal in place for Adalius (I'm pretty sure they do too) but it does not mean a team cannot top it from now til the FA period actually starts, which isnt for another 3 whole days.

To me, it just sounds like PFT knows that the 49ers have a deal in place for Adalius......nothing more. We'll see.

This would suck though. We have enough holes as it is, and I'm sick of having a bunch of 2nd tier players on our team, get a damn franchise player.

I call bull****.

You do realize tampering is the most overlooked thing in the NFL? Every soon to be free agent has his agent talking to teams at the combine. While technically it is tampering its pretty much an accepted practice. Why wouldn't he commit to a team now when he has probably heard offers from everyone? San Fran has the most money to give and he knows Nolan and Singeltary. Also while PFT isn't straight facts they are more often than not correct.

Lastly to whoever asked why he would go to a horrible team think about what you said. San Francisco is a team on the rise, they have their QB of the future, a top 5 RB and can only get better especially in the NFC.

You do realize tampering is the most overlooked thing in the NFL? Every soon to be free agent has his agent talking to teams at the combine. While technically it is tampering its pretty much an accepted practice. Why wouldn't he commite to a team now when he has probably hear offers from everyone? San Fran has the most money to give and he knows Nolan and Singeltary. Also while PFT isn't straight facts they are more often than not correct.

Lastly to whoever asked why he would go to a horrible team think about what you said. San Francisco is a team on the rise, they have their QB of the future, a top 5 RB and can only get better especially in the NFC.

Correct. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive. Every team does the same as what SF is doing.

Washington is also rumored to have Fletcher locked up but like LeCharchles Bentley bolting from a rumored deal with Philly last year anything can happen between now and March 2nd.

I'm actually pretty happy about this.

Now we don't need to worry about breaking the bank on a single player in FA. I'd like to see us make a run at some solid guys with potential to help plug some holes on the team.

My Free Agency Wishlist:

OG Kris Dielman

CB Roderick Hood

DE Kenyon Coleman

FB Ovie Mughelli

I heard the Chargers have already locked Dielman in to a deal.

thomas to 9'ers should come as no surprise. its been talked about a lot. they have more cap$$$ than any other team. relationship with nolan (who will turn out to be a good hc btw) I don't see the jets throwing $$ to chase a 30 yr old. It's not what tangini is about.

I'm gonna sit back & relax this offseason feeling confident we don't overpay but still pick up talent that fits this team.

max, this site needs a place for us to put our feet up on this offseason. thanks

He will never get it. Not even the signing bonus.

With so many teams $20M under the cap this year (before cutting any dead weight), and with the cap expected to be $115-119M next year (and who knows what beyond that), he may get it yet. Hutchinson got that contract from Minnesota when the cap was $102M.

The way some team will look at it will be (analogous to the Jets' players):

Sign a $3M/yr OG and keep Barrett & McCareins

or

Sign a $7M and cut Barrett & McCareins

Archived