Could Mangini be pulling the wool over his Fans Eyes

Just hear me out here for a second guys ,Our head coach is the Master of deception,Trick plays on Offense as well as Defense, Lining up one o-lineman ala the d-rob play.The reason I bring this up is b/c It was a little wierd to me that he name Chad the started so early in the Offseason.This is the same guy that wouldn't even let reporters in on anything the Jets were doing,this is the same guy that was in the upper deck when looking at the kids in the draft so no one could figure out what he was doing.

Please don't get me wrong ,I don't want this to turn into a Chad v.s. Kellen thread again.

But this kinda stuff makes me wonder as a Fan or as a Coach of another team.Being that Mangini never lets anything get by him ,But to call Chad the started so early makes me think that he has something in his bag of tricks.Why wouldn't he let the Qb's battle it out like last year ?? Is it b/c he really thinks Chad can get it done or he named chad the started so he could have all the coaches we play against planning against Chad??Then he throws a curve ball in the beginning of the season and throws in another Qb (anyone) to throw the other teams DC off? I don't know ,Maybe it's just me ,But does anyone else feel like this could happen?? our coach is a tricky bastid you know LOL.

nah I don't think so Mike-Chad deserved to go into TC knowing he doesn't have to be competing for his job and that he can just concentrate on getting himself healthier and stronger-if things shake out differently I can see Mangini doing what is best for the team REGARDLESS of position or place-unlike the previous regime

Just hear me out here for a second guys ,Our head coach is the Master of deception,Trick plays on Offense as well as Defense, Lining up one o-lineman ala the d-rob play.The reason I bring this up is b/c It was a little wierd to me that he name Chad the started so early in the Offseason.This is the same guy that wouldn't even let reporters in on anything the Jets were doing,this is the same guy that was in the upper deck when looking at the kids in the draft so no one could figure out what he was doing.

Please don't get me wrong ,I don't want this to turn into a Chad v.s. Kellen thread again.

But this kinda stuff makes me wonder as a Fan or as a Coach of another team.Being that Mangini never lets anything get by him ,But to call Chad the started so early makes me think that he has something in his bag of tricks.Why wouldn't he let the Qb's battle it out like last year ?? Is it b/c he really thinks Chad can get it done or he named chad the started so he could have all the coaches we play against planning against Chad??Then he throws a curve ball in the beginning of the season and throws in another Qb (anyone) to throw the other teams DC off? I don't know ,Maybe it's just me ,But does anyone else feel like this could happen?? our coach is a tricky bastid you know LOL.

Honestly you do prove a really good point . . . I think it could really happen knowing mangini . . . And our first game of the regular season is against the Pats . . . So you decide what might be going through his head at this point ?? ?

Honestly you do prove a really good point . . . I think it could really happen knowing mangini . . . And our first is against the Pat of the regular season . . .

Who would really feel comfortable having Clemens' first start be against New England?

Who would really feel comfortable having Clemens' first start be against New England?

Just about everyone on the Patriots (team and staff) as well as most of their fanbase. Other than that I can't really think of anyone.

This is what I was trying to get away from ,But it was just to wierd to that Mangini would give out info in the begin of the offseason,something we as fans and the media are not use to.He likes to keep everything under wraps, so I started to try and think why our coach would do such a thing.I don't know for sure about kellen but I was talking about how tricky our coach really is,this guy always has someone guessing.But I love it.

Honestly you do prove a really good point . . . I think it could really happen knowing mangini . . . And our first game of the regular season is against the Pats . . . So you decide what might be going through his head at this point ?? ?

I agree with you, when i read that it felt a little hypocritical with all Mangini has been saying/doing. I generally like the fact that he is so hush hush, and i do think we are being lead on with him naming Chad.

nypimp, welcome to JN.

He made sure the first year he showed nobody was safe... now that he has established himself he also needs to have SET veteran leaders on both sides of the ball...

You have Jones and Pennington both obvious starters headed into 07'....

That is good for a team to know who some of your starters are...

This doesnt mean Chads job is safe... its his job to lose... but he could very well lose it... this is no promise that he will be the starter all year... just makes it very likely...

I think people are reading way too much into Mangini's statement about Pennington being the starter. I read it just as that Chad would be considered the starter going into camp -- not necessarily coming out of camp. So I dont think Mangini was being hypocritical or deceptive. Just stating the obvious -- ie. that Chad was still considered the starter because he had been the starter all season.

Well, i would just assume that final starting jobs will be based on camp and pre-season performance, but I would also assume if you have a qb coming off of a 10-6 record with the shortcomings this team had and he is perfectly healthy then the starting job is naturally his to keep or lose, but he will be the starter as of now by default because of last year. Competition is a good thing, but too much of it can also cause bad blood in the locker room. Of course at the end of the day every starting job is always under constant evaluation, but you can't sit there as a coach and just tell the players who left every ounce they had on the field for you that none of that ever matters and you can be replaced on a whim for someone newer/younger.

Anyway, what is there to gain by throwing a curveball here. It wouldn't really mean anything to say a good, accurate vet will start but then surprise everyone with a rookie. Now, if you want to throw a curveball, you do things like announce a move toward one scheme or philosophy, but change that at, that would cause opponents to gameplan for the wrong situations. No real upside to trying to trick people with penny/clemens.

you still don't realize what a great genius Mangenius is do you.

you see he knows everyone is going to be second guessing his moves, so when he announces Pennington is going to be the starter he knows that no one is going to believe him and that the other teams will game plan for Clemens thinking no way would he say Pennington is the starter and then actually start him. But he's not going to play Clemens you see. He's going to play Pennington just like he said.

Very clever huh.

:blowup:

you still don't realize what a great genius Mangenius is do you.

you see he knows everyone is going to be second guessing his moves, so when he announces Pennington is going to be the starter he knows that no one is going to believe him and that the other teams will game plan for Clemens thinking no way would he say Pennington is the starter and then actually start him. But he's not going to play Clemens you see. He's going to play Pennington just like he said.

Very clever huh.

:blowup:

The triple switcheroo. I like it.

Remember back in the day when Herm announced that Vinny Testaverde would start the 1st half against the Eagles and Pennington would relieve him....then did it?

Very interesting you have to think Manginis got some tricks and schemes for our first game and second season, but I dont think the Chad starting announcement was a part of that. I never really thought about it to much but you never know. I feel very confident it was just to give the team some answers....giving them something to go after...play well proove yourself you can you will be rewarded. I think it was a good move.

Just about everyone on the Patriots (team and staff) as well as most of their fanbase. Other than that I can't really think of anyone.

Excellent!

POTW Nomination.

He did NOT name Chad the starter. He named Chad the starter going into preseason. That is a completely different thing. Clemens will have the opportunity to beat out CHad and be the starter in the first game.

The triple switcheroo. I like it.

Remember back in the day when Herm announced that Vinny Testaverde would start the 1st half against the Eagles and Pennington would relieve him....then did it?

The difference with herm is he's too stupid to realize for that trick to work you actually have to mix it up a bit every now and then and not do what he said 100% of the time.

Chad is the starter. Meaning, he will get a majority of reps with the first team. Last year four guys split the load (remember) such that nobody truly knew who would win the position. Chad getting most of the work will make a good offense even better.

Besides, all of the "trickery" implications (of starting Clemens) wouldn't affect the NE defense as much as a well-calculated gameplan would; being conducted by our best maistro on the team (as evidenced by his winning the starting job, and starting 16 games for the first time in his career). Chad Pennington is our QB.

I think we are overthinking this just a little bit. First I am not enamored with the "brilliance" of Eric Mangini. He was the beneficiary of a healthy team and a really soft schedule. But getting back to the point of this thread, why would it be a trick to name Pennington your starting QB after he leads you to a ten win season and a playoff appearance. It seems like common sense to me.

Archived