Where do the Jets fit in? SNY

Kentucky Jet

Where do the Jets fit in?

Team has no real home in NY sports scene

By Joe Kanakaraj / SNY.tv

Darrelle Revis figures to start in the Jets backfield right away. (AP)

I noticed that the Mets had Leon Washington take batting practice with the team last week. I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw this. Although, it was rather amusing to see that David Wright claimed to be a big fan because Leon gave him the push he needed to finish second in his fantasy league (behind fantasy guru John Maine).

For years, I've had to break the New York sports stereotype of Mets/Jets/Islanders, and Yankees/Giants/Rangers. I'm one of the few that are actually die hard Yankees and Jets fans. (The other being Milton from the RF Bleacher and my old roommate John Harnett.) But, it started to make me wonder a little about the Jets territorial lines. It seems like there really isn't "Jets Nation" anywhere in the tri-state area. Granted, they have a big following in Jersey and parts of Long Island, but there isn't a clear cut area like Queens for the Mets, and the Bronx for the Yankees. Plus, those areas have a large percentage of Giants fans there as well.

Maybe it's because we never had a stadium of our own? Or maybe it's because when I grew up, Jets fans came to games to wear garbage bags over their heads.

Someday, though. It's going to happen. We're going win a Super Bowl and finally have a little piece of land in NFL History to call our own.

Training camp can't come soon enough. I mean, really. I refuse to write another boring post about the Kendall contract situation or how Derrell Revis is "still learning the system." Can we get some real practices, or what?!?!

I noticed that the Mets had Leon Washington take batting practice with the team last week. I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw this. Although, it was rather amusing to see that David Wright claimed to be a big fan because Leon gave him the push he needed to finish second in his fantasy league (behind fantasy guru John Maine).

For years, I've had to break the New York sports stereotype of Mets/Jets/Islanders, and Yankees/Giants/Rangers. I'm one of the few that are actually die hard Yankees and Jets fans. (The other being Milton from the RF Bleacher and my old roommate John Harnett.) But, it started to make me wonder a little about the Jets territorial lines. It seems like there really isn't "Jets Nation" anywhere in the tri-state area. Granted, they have a big following in Jersey and parts of Long Island, but there isn't a clear cut area like Queens for the Mets, and the Bronx for the Yankees. Plus, those areas have a large percentage of Giants fans there as well.

Maybe it's because we never had a stadium of our own? Or maybe it's because when I grew up, Jets fans came to games to wear garbage bags over their heads.

Someday, though. It's going to happen. We're going win a Super Bowl and finally have a little piece of land in NFL History to call our own.

Training camp can't come soon enough. I mean, really. I refuse to write another boring post about the Kendall contract situation or how Derrell Revis is "still learning the system." Can we get some real practices, or what?!?!

I dont care what areas are Jets fans... I dont care who is a Jets fan. I only care about people like me who are diehard fans who know this team and cares about this team. The bandwagoners and casual fans are invisible to me.

I dont care what areas are Jets fans... I dont care who is a Jets fan. I only care about people like me who are diehard fans who know this team and cares about this team. The bandwagoners and casual fans are invisible to me.

Ive never seen a bandwagon jets fan, I didnt even know they existed.

I know way more Jets fans than Giants fans. This bloke is way off base.

They started showing up Nov 19th, the week after we beat the pats...

lots of season ticket holders made money the last few games....

If you pay attention to the fans in the stadium, you can hear some great sh!t...

my favorite:

The Jets fan who was so excited to be sitting on the 50 yd line and telling me how much he loved the team and the season, then proceeded to ask me during the game if Curtis Martin had changed his number this year (2006) because that number didnt look right...

at least he knew who Fireman Ed was.... he was right there doing the J-E-T-S chant with him....

no kidding, i respect anyone with passion. old roommate of mine claimed to be the world's biggest steeler fan. when they won the superbowl, he showed up during the 3rd quarter to my house in a stupor. got kicked out of the bar he was watching and was so out of it even after showing him randal el's TD pass 3 times on DVR he just had a glazed look on his face and went upstairs and passed out. the next year? didn't go to a single game.

If you pay attention to the fans in the stadium, you can hear some great sh!t...

my favorite:

The Jets fan who was so excited to be sitting on the 50 yd line and telling me how much he loved the team and the season, then proceeded to ask me during the game if Curtis Martin had changed his number this year (2006) because that number didnt look right...

at least he knew who Fireman Ed was.... he was right there doing the J-E-T-S chant with him....

California Jets Fan ever since I was little kid, even though I've never been to New York (will hopefully this season for a game).

Last year got kicked out of my bar after Baker's one hand catch in the endzone when he was pushed out of bounds (and called out of bounds) against Cleveland. I guess you can only say bull**** so many times in a family bar before being thrown out.

I also had someone try to run me over (I had to jump into a snowbank to avoid being hit) when the Jets lost to the Steelers in the playoffs in 2005.

I'm trying to be more controlled now, but when someone insinuates that I'm a bandwagon fan when I'm not from the east coast, it rubs me the wrong way.

my favorite:

So becuase people didnt want to spend their hard earned money on tickets 300% of the price makes them ****ty fans?

Your nuts...

Not everyone has to follow a team with a magnifying glass to be a good fan... and a TRUE fan wouldnt bash other fans for not fitting their standards... that doesnt make you a :good fan" it makes you a JERK...

There are bandwagon/fairweather fans, just like any other city. In NYC, when the jets are in a playoff push or make the playoffs, it goes like this:

August - November: Giants, Giants and more on . . . the Giants. (even if they are rancid)

November - January: Jets rule baby!

I hate it but them's the breaks, be a fan for yourself first and foremost and it won't bother you as much.

For years, I've had to break the New York sports stereotype of Mets/Jets/Islanders, and Yankees/Giants/Rangers. I'm one of the few that are actually die hard Yankees and Jets fans. (The other being Milton from the RF Bleacher and my old roommate John Harnett.)

I am also a Jets and Yankees Fan. There are many of us.

Amen. I hate when people critisize me of being a frontrunner because I'm a Yankee fan. I have to remind them every now and then that I'm a Jets fan. It's impossible to be a fareweather/frontrunner fan and a Jets fan. They just don't go together.

California Jets Fan ever since I was little kid, even though I've never been to New York (will hopefully this season for a game).

Last year got kicked out of my bar after Baker's one hand catch in the endzone when he was pushed out of bounds (and called out of bounds) against Cleveland. I guess you can only say bull**** so many times in a family bar before being thrown out.

I also had someone try to run me over (I had to jump into a snowbank to avoid being hit) when the Jets lost to the Steelers in the playoffs in 2005.

I'm trying to be more controlled now, but when someone insinuates that I'm a bandwagon fan when I'm not from the east coast, it rubs me the wrong way.

I hope you dont think I was insinuating that you were a bandwagon fan... I dont see anywhere in my original post that says people from out of town are bandwagoners.

I actually was commenting on people who do live in the NY area and only attend games when the going is good... as I show in my example of the clueless fan who didnt know Curtis wasnt playing last year.

I hope it was just a misunderstanding on your part... I dont question people's allegiance without knowing something about them first...

So becuase people didnt want to spend their hard earned money on tickets 300% of the price makes them ****ty fans?

Your nuts...

Not everyone has to follow a team with a magnifying glass to be a good fan... and a TRUE fan wouldnt bash other fans for not fitting their standards... that doesnt make you a :good fan" it makes you a JERK...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????????????????????????????????????????

I WAS CRITICIZING THE STUPID FAN WHO BOUGHT THE TICKET AND CLAIMED HE WAS A BIG FAN AND DIDNT KNOW CURTIS WAS NOT PLAYING LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID NOT CRITCIZE THE FAN WHO SOLD THEIR TICKET>>>>>>>

THE COMMENT THAT JET SEASON TICKET HOLDERS MADE A LOT OF MONEY WAS BECAUSE OF ALL THE G0D DAMN BANDWAGON FANS WHO JUMPED ABOARD.

G0D DAMN PEOPLE>>> LEARN HOW TO READ!

WHERE DO I SAY PEOPLE HAVE TO FOLLOW A TEAM LIKE I DO?????????

WHERE DO I SAY THAT PEOPLE ARENT FITTING MY STANDARDS????

DONT YOU THINK IF YOU WERE "A HUGE JET FAN" YOU WOULD KNOW CURTIS DIDNT PLAY AT ALL LAST SEASON????????????????????

And, yes I am nuts. But the jerk comment is over the line.

Archived