The Defensive Line Concerns me...

TaborJet

Will the Jets be able to stop the run this year? Will they be able to pressure opposing QBs?

The Jets D-line is made up of a lot of has-beens and question marks. Will D-Rob finally prove worthy of trading up in the first round of 2003? Can Pouha come back? Will Wadsworth even make the final cut?

Let's face it. If there was one weak link on the Jets chain, it would be the defensive line.

Discuss.

Will the Jets be able to stop the run this year? Will they be able to pressure opposing QBs?

The Jets D-line is made up of a lot of has-beens and question marks. Will D-Rob finally prove worthy of trading up in the first round of 2003? Can Pouha come back? Will Wadsworth even make the final cut?

Let's face it. If there was one weak link on the Jets chain, it would be the defensive line.

Discuss.

The defensive line needs improvement, but with the peronsel/depth we brought in it should be better than last year. Having Ellis/Coleman hold down the ends, Dewayne and a newly healthy (and active) Pouha in the middle, and an available rotation of Bobby Hamilton, Eric Hicks, David Bowens, CJ Mosley and Michael Haynes, I think this should be a good unit as the year progresses.

D-line should be good, O-Line is what concerns me.

We still do not have a true nose tackle. There has been only one thing in the short Mangini era that I have not agreed with and that is having an undersized Nose Tackle. Mangini tries to point out the very few good things it may or may not bring, but I hope deep down he knows he needs a guy like Jammal Williams anchoring is line.

Discuss.

I really do feel your pain, I think we need a dominant pass rusher, and I'm sorry, I just don't see that in Ellis. Maybe we need an upgrade at the RE position, but I'm happy with our team and I think we'll be just fine.

Good point, but still we don't have a dominant PASS RUSHER.

Let me ask you this, is there going to be a player with 12 or more sacks this year ?

I dont see a 12 sack year out of one guy on the D-line, maybe if Bowens gets alot of playing time he can seek and destroy, but thats a big maybe. I hope they prove me wrong though, we need to get pressure to let our DBs do thier thing.

I agree with you, but how better did it actually get ?

this is the question.

the defense as a whole is better by being a second year in this scheme. DRob and Vilma should show improvement. it's better at DE with the addition of Coleman. better at ILB with Harris. and eventually better (hopefully) at DB with Revis. there is also a little more depth upfront.

the question still remains how much better are they?

if you were to judge this from Joey Harrington's 1st quarter drive last week you probably would be left scratching your head. on the other hand, if you were to judge this by how the players talk you'd think they will be considerably better this year.

the bottom line is we won't know until we see the defense in regular season action. no doubt the defense will be better, but it's hard to know how that will translate on the field at gametime.

if this defense can keep opponents to under 20 points a game, i think our offense will give us a chance for a very good season.

this is the question.

the defense as a whole is better by being a second year in this scheme. Drop and Vilma should show improvement. it's better at DE with the addition of Coleman. better at ILB with Harris. and eventually better (hopefully) at DB with Revis. there is also a little more depth upfront.

the question still remains how much better are they?

if you were to judge this from Joey Harrington's 1st quarter drive last week you probably would be left scratching your head. on the other hand, if you were to judge this by how the players talk you'd think they will be considerably better this year.

the bottom line is we won't know until we see the defense in regular season action. no doubt the defense will be better, but it's hard to know how that will translate on the field at gametime.

if this defense can keep opponents to under 20 points a game, i think our offense will give us a chance for a very good season.

I agree with the bolded mark, but just to let you know we don't have a easy schedule this year. We have a harder schedule than last year, so to accomplish that will be ahrd, but it's possible.

On the line? Probably not. Bryan Thomas should flirt with 12 or so, Shaun Ellis and Kenyon Coleman I suspect will combine for about 13-15

Ellis should be around that as well, at times he looks like he can be one of the best De's in the league, and than he looks different.

I really do feel your pain, I think we need a dominant pass rusher, and I'm sorry, I just don't see that in Ellis. Maybe we need an upgrade at the RE position, but I'm happy with our team and I think we'll be just fine.

In a 3-4 scheme the pass rush is supposed to come mainly from the OLB's...The DL's job is to eat up blockers to free the LB's.

Ellis should be around that as well, at times he looks like he can be one of the best De's in the league, and than he looks different.

I think he will look better with Coleman providing pressure from the other side. I think a contributing reason for his off year last season was weakness in other parts of the D-line. I am actually cautiously optimistic about the D-line -- good depth, nice (although admittedly not spectacular) additions and projected improvement at overall LB play. I think we'll be all right.

In a 3-4 scheme the pass rush is supposed to come mainly from the OLB's...The DL's job is to eat up blockers to free the LB's.

Yes, a 3-4 D-lineman getting a lot of sacks is rare (Bruce Smith, Richard Seymore). Bryan Thomas will probably lead the team and could very well have about 12 sacks if he continues where he left off the second half of last year.

3-4 lineman shouldn't pass rush anyway, just keep blockers off of the linebackers, we have Thomas, I will call a Pro Bowl for Bryan, he looked really good at the end of last season and can only go up.

Thomas would lead our team next year with sacks, my guess.

3-4 lineman shouldn't pass rush anyway, just keep blockers off of the linebackers, we have Thomas, I will call a Pro Bowl for Bryan, he looked really good at the end of last season and can only go up.

Agree sort of. But you'd like them to be able to shed a blocker in the 17 seconds Joey Harrington was holding the ball.

Yes, a 3-4 D-lineman getting a lot of sacks is rare (Bruce Smith, Richard Seymore). Bryan Thomas will probably lead the team and could very well have about 12 sacks if he continues where he left off the second half of last year.

Ty Warren (7.5) and Jarvis Green (7) combined for 14.5 sacks last year. A lot of that had to do with Wilfork and/or Seymour being double teamed.

If DRob can step up for you guys I wouldn't be surprised to see the D-Lineman get a few more sacks than last year.

Good point, but still we don't have a dominant PASS RUSHER.

Let me ask you this, is there going to be a player with 12 or more sacks this year ?

Only 8 of 32 teams last year had that.

6 of those teams failed to make the playoffs.

The d-line is a huge concern for me. Kenyon Coleman should be an upgrade over Kimo, but the DT rotation is thin (what happend to Rashad Moore, did he hit on Mangini's wife or something ?).

I'm hoping David Harris will help the Run D, and David Bowens as well, but if you start committing LB's you are vulnerable to so many things.

Lets hope Sutton doesn't need 8 games again to realize he needs to blitz to get pressure.

Its an awful facking 3-4 dline. Lets be real.

Another thing(s):

We have an awful QB. An awful organization. An awful stadium. An awful 3-4 star ILB. An awful pass rush. An awful run blocking Oline. Dont even have cheerleaders like a real team. We play in giants stadium.

The Jets are a sad pathetic f'n joke. I cant stand them, to be honest. I really cant. They really make me puke. I feel bad Mangini has to be our HC, because this franchise doesnt deserve him, they really dont.

Still, I root, but they disgust me like you have no idea.

Discuss.

looking at the game last week, Atlanta ran up the gut , whenever they wanted to. POUHA& DROB were pushed back a few times. Pouha did stop a run or two but VILMA was hit quite a bit. Same as last year. It is early but IMO it does not look great at all!

Its an awful facking 3-4 dline. Lets be real.

Another thing(s):

We have an awful QB. An awful organization. An awful stadium. An awful 3-4 star ILB. An awful pass rush. An awful run blocking Oline. Dont even have cheerleaders like a real team. We play in giants stadium.

The Jets are a sad pathetic f'n joke. I cant stand them, to be honest. I really cant. They really make me puke. I feel bad Mangini has to be our HC, because this franchise doesnt deserve him, they really dont.

Still, I root, but they disgust me like you have no idea.

it's that time of the month again, barton?:)

it's that time of the month again, barton?:)

My cell phone just broke. Leave me alone!!!! :character0282:

Seriously though. Any other jets fans out there just hate the Jets at the same time? Stand up, dont be afraid as I shall lead you to the promise land. Call me Sparticus.

My cell phone just broke. Leave me alone!!!! :character0282:

Seriously though. Any other jets fans out there just hate the Jets at the same time? Stand up, dont be afraid as I shall lead you to the promise land. Call me Sparticus.

Et tu Brute?

Archived