ESPN REPORTS CHAD IS ON THE TRADING BLOCK!

JV51

rotoworld has reported that word has come from Chris Mortenson that Chad is on the trading block.

JETS WILLING TO ENTERTAIN OFFERS FOR CHAD

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the New York Jets are willing to entertain trade offers for quarterback Chad Pennington.

The trade deadline is 4:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.

Pennington has performed poorly this year after having a solid season in 2006. So poorly that it's unlikely that someone will make a move.

Then again, with guys like Tim Rattay and Vinny Testaverde and Tim Hasselbeck getting work, shouldn't someone make a play for Pennington?

You know what? I have to believe that there is something to this. Seriously. There is NO other explanation for Chad not getting pulled sometime over the last 12 quarters.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I do think it is something they are exploring.

You know what? I have to believe that there is something to this. Seriously. There is NO other explanation for Chad not getting pulled sometime over the last 12 quarters.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I do think it is something they are exploring.

They'd (fo) would be stupid not to listen to an offer. That being said the likelyhood of an actual deal going down by the trade deadline are nil. Too little time, too many things to consider like salary ramifications and cap hits etc.

Bull****. Show me a link. The ESPN website shows nothing of the sort.

Ageed, Mangini was asked about this directly at his news conf. yesterday and he actually gave a direct answer for a change .The question was Is it true you/the JETS are even considering tradeing Chad before the trade deadline...answer No! That talk is absoulutely Ludicris! send this to the dump where it belongs...

Ageed, Mangini was asked about this directly at his news conf. yesterday and he actually gave a direct answer for a change .The question was Is it true you/the JETS are even considering tradeing Chad before the trade deadline...answer No! That talk is absoulutely Ludicris! send this to the dump where it belongs...

We don't have a separate dump here. The NFL forum IS the dump.

Bottom line is it`s note true & the mods shouldn`t allow this crap to be posted..

It's a rumor; or a "legit rumor" whatever I even mean by that. Just that people heard this rumor on espn & the same rumor on wfan. So there's at least something to it more than a phony/misleading thread. If it was one poster spreading a rumor with no basis, then yeah I'd agree.

Bottom line is it`s note true & the mods shouldn`t allow this crap to be posted..

False. Mortensen said that the Jets would "entertain offers for Pennington in the hours leading up to the deadline." He said it out loud, in person on the MNF pre-game show. I saw it in Italy, so I'm sure a good portion of America was free to watch. He is full of **** and a rumor mongerer and even he said it was "very unlikely" a deal would go down, but HE DID SAY IT.

* All quotes are approximate because it was 2:30 a.m. here, but they are truthful representations of what that square headed freak said.

Bull****. Show me a link. The ESPN website shows nothing of the sort.

Chris Mortensen talked about it on PrimeTime last night that the Jets were willing to listen to offers for Pennington. Unfortunately, I don't see anything getting done by 4 P.M. today.

Well the good thing about all of this is that there is a pretty specific deadline by which this has to happen or the rumor can be put to bed. That deadline is today so it isn't like the pre-draft threads which can and do last for 3-6 months or more.

GM's should listen to ANY serious inquiry or offer for ANY player at ANY time. If they do not then they do not deserve to collect a paycheck.

Why would any team trade for a QB that is struggling with a 8 million or so salary cap figure? Sperm get in here with the exact figures.

If we trade him we have to eat the signing bonus part of that so the buyer is looking at perhaps 5 million for a starting QB. Not exactly top dollar when you consider that that is about the same money we paid for Thomas Jones, a fair to middling runner.

The buyer also gets to be able to cut him in the future without penalty since we have already eaten that one.

Why would any team trade for a QB that is struggling with a 8 million or so salary cap figure? Sperm get in here with the exact figures.

The reason he's (allegedly) garnered some interest is that Chad is dirt-cheap for anyone who trades for him. He's only expensive to the Jets.

His salary is $2M this year, or $125K/game. A team that acquires him would be responsible for 10 game checks, or $1.25M this year. Nothing more. If he remains that team's starter next year, his total cap hit is $4.8M and nothing more (also a bargain for a starting QB). And they can cut him without any lump-sum cap acceleration at any time.

But for the Jets this year, he counts $13,000,000: $2M salary, $2M roster bonus given in March, $3M amortized SB from the $18M we gave him in '04, and $6M in NLTBE incentives he reached last year merely for starting over 10 football games.

If we cut him, another $6M (the remaining amt from his $18M SB that hadn't hit our cap yet) accelerates to the cap. I don't know if it's this year or next year though. We have the cap room to absorb it now, but I don't know if that's an option.

The reason he's (allegedly) garnered some interest is that Chad is dirt-cheap for anyone who trades for him. He's only expensive to the Jets.

His salary is $2M this year, or $125K/game. A team that acquires him would be responsible for 10 game checks, or $1.25M this year. Nothing more. If he remains that team's starter next year, his total cap hit is $4.8M and nothing more (also a bargain for a starting QB). And they can cut him without any lump-sum cap acceleration at any time.

But for the Jets this year, he counts $13,000,000: $2M salary, $2M roster bonus given in March, $3M amortized SB from the $18M we gave him in '04, and $6M in NLTBE incentives he reached last year merely for starting over 10 football games.

If we cut him, another $6M (the remaining amt from his $18M SB that hadn't hit our cap yet) accelerates to the cap. I don't know if it's this year or next year though. We have the cap room to absorb it now, but I don't know if that's an option.

Thanks Sperm -it is not going to happen but we would take a hit this year if we could trade him. Better to take it and get it over with.

Chris Mortensen talked about it on PrimeTime last night that the Jets were willing to listen to offers for Pennington. Unfortunately, I don't see anything getting done by 4 P.M. today.

give me a break, the trade could go something like...

team A: I'll free up a roster spot by taking chad pennington...

Jets: Umm? How about we throw in 500k for your trouble?

team A: yeah that sounds ok. done.

:cool:

If that was the strategy then it has surely backfired. Chad's value has done nothing recently but spiral downward.

Could you imagine the way that would look? 2007 NYJ cap number for Chad Pennington, QB for 5 games (1-4) and then traded: $19,000,000.

This may be why we held onto cap space this year. The plan may have been to let Chad play until the trading deadline (hoping he wouldn't sh!t the bed) and hoping a team with QB injuries/need would come calling. I don't think it's going to work given the current state of things.

rotoworld has reported that word has come from Chris Mortenson that Chad is on the trading block.

JETS WILLING TO ENTERTAIN OFFERS FOR CHAD

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the New York Jets are willing to entertain trade offers for quarterback Chad Pennington.

The trade deadline is 4:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.

Pennington has performed poorly this year after having a solid season in 2006. So poorly that it's unlikely that someone will make a move.

Then again, with guys like Tim Rattay and Vinny Testaverde and Tim Hasselbeck getting work, shouldn't someone make a play for Pennington?

Yeah I heard the same thing, only that the Jets were talking to the Yankees about ARod and if he can throw a football further than 25 yards. Mangini had direct talks with Steinbrener, but then the Jets settled for a bag of balls (for both Penny and Mangini). Mangini went on to say he could use a couple.

Archived