Rob Ryan ain't coming! Merged [2X]

NIGHT STALKER

A Raiders spokesman confirmed Friday that the team will retain defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for the 2008 season.

Coach Lane Kiffin and Ryan himself both indicated in their season ending press conferences that Ryan wouldn't return. Several reports even had him already headed to the Jets. But it appears owner Al Davis overrided Kiffin's wish to have Ryan axed. It's another example of why the Raiders' head coaching job is among the least coveted in the league.

You cannot make this stuff up anymore... what is Singletary's role in SF?

can't bring over any assistant coach to take an assistant coach or coordinator job here.. it's a lateral move.

Don't be so sure Ryan isn't coming yet.

can't bring over any assistant coach to take an assistant coach or coordinator job here.. it's a lateral move.

Don't be so sure Ryan isn't coming yet.

I agree with this. that old senile prick Al Davis is just being a dick.

I think it will all depend on how patient Mangini is.

If we really wanted him, why couldn't he be promoted to Asst HC? Wasn't that the title Westhoff had? That's been vacated now if I'm correct.

They'll want compensation for him if we do that. it's better to wait or get somebody else.

Wow, I can't believe that. I would want to quit.

If it was the Jets doing this (like with mumbles) he would resign. but since he wants to come to the Jets we have to deal with this crap. we are cursed and or doomed.

If we really wanted him, why couldn't he be promoted to Asst HC? Wasn't that the title Westhoff had? That's been vacated now if I'm correct.

Would not make a difference.....

There are 2 levels of coach. Assistant and Head. You don't get a promotion (therefore no compensation) for assistant head coach anymore.

If it was the Jets doing this (like with mumbles) he would resign. but since he wants to come to the Jets we have to deal with this crap. we are cursed and or doomed.

If he quits, he can't come to the Jets without Oakland's permission.

Damn! I kept wondering why the Rayduhs never made the Ryan dismissil official. Now we know why. Wish the story of him going to the Jets had been kept quiet. Knowing Al Davis is probably kept him in Oakland because of that. Right now, I'd jump at the chance of signing Rob's brother Rex ASAP . .::GoJets:

A Raiders spokesman confirmed Friday that the team will retain defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for the 2008 season.

Coach Lane Kiffin and Ryan himself both indicated in their season ending press conferences that Ryan wouldn't return. Several reports even had him already headed to the Jets. But it appears owner Al Davis overrided Kiffin's wish to have Ryan axed. It's another example of why the Raiders' head coaching job is among the least coveted in the league.

That is too bad. If you REALLY want this guy offer a low draft pick for him. Heck, we got a 4 for a HC. Maybe a 7 or 8. Bottom line though, Sutton is probably gone. If this guy is a real difference maker, then I can see giving something. If not, if there are other options just as viable, go there.

That is too bad. If you REALLY want this guy offer a low draft pick for him. Heck, we got a 4 for a HC. Maybe a 7 or 8. Bottom line though, Sutton is probably gone. If this guy is a real difference maker, then I can see giving something. If not, if there are other options just as viable, go there.

Yes, let's offer an 8.

this is what I saw

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/05/SPB3U9GBM.DTL

(01-04) 21:28 PST Alameda -- Raiders coach Lane Kiffin wanted to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, team and league sources have said for a week. He apparently lost the final vote with owner Al Davis 1-1.

After Ryan's status hung in doubt for days, the team finally said that all reports of Ryan's imminent departure are untrue with a two-sentence e-mail Friday.

"The recent conjecture regarding the removal of Rob Ryan is incorrect and the constant barrage of rumors is irresponsible," the statement said. "The Raider Organization - through spokesman Mike Taylor - stated that the speculation that Rob Ryan will be relieved of his duties should stop."

Translated, it looks like Davis - who always has the final say on the organization's comers and goers - wants Ryan back for a fifth season of wild hair and man-coverage defense.

Then again, the last time the Raiders re- buked media reports via team statement was Dec. 21, 2006, when Adam Schefter said coach Art Shell would be fired after the season.

The Raiders called Schefter a "false rumor mongerer with respect to the Raiders." They then fired Shell exactly two weeks later.

===========

I remember that. Was hilarious.

Archived