Jets Resign Kassell

C-Mart28

Well, I'm atleast glad to hear that they are working on a contract extension for Rhodes. I didn't doubt it, because they've always preached about building through the draft and keeping the talented players they have on their team from getting to free agency. I just would like to see it get done and not have to worry about it.

Well, I'm atleast glad to hear that they are working on a contract extension for Rhodes. I didn't doubt it, because they've always preached about building through the draft and keeping the talented players they have on their team from getting to free agency. I just would like to see it get done and not have to worry about it.

Nowadays that's the smart thing to do. Keep your own. If they're talking to Rhodes that's good but i'm like you....just get it done.

Hang on a second. Didn't we give him a 5-year deal when we initially signed him? How is he a UFA now after only 2 years?

rotoworld had it as a five year deal, but I had seen him listed as an UFA in a few places. He probably had an option of some sort. He was only going to make $650K or something so I'm sure this isn't a blockbuster. We'll see if he gets a bonus and if it's more or less.

rotoworld had it as a five year deal, but I had seen him listed as an UFA in a few places. He probably had an option of some sort. He was only going to make $650K or something so I'm sure this isn't a blockbuster. We'll see if he gets a bonus and if it's more or less.

650 down the crapper. After he was schooled in the 06 playoff game the fact that he has a job in the NFL is quite amazing.

I think people are looking way too much into this deal.

Is Kassell great? Not by any means, but he is a team captain for a reason, the players respect him and he likely has at least some presence in the locker room.

This deal isnt even a big deal financially , he'll get what? a million a year, if that?

oh god just sign Rhodes now. If we all chip in 2% of our annual income we can lock this bad boy up. please give him whatever he wants pleaaaaaaaaaaaase.. can you imagine that secondary without him? How sad would that be.

He has a year left on his contract.

Right now have the FO worry about the Combine, FA, and the Draft before we resign what we already have.

It doesnt surprise me and it doesnt really make a difference. To consider Kassell quality depth is a joke, but he was ST captain and he is good on the special units when punts arent bouncing up an hitting him in the azz.

Signing Kassell for three years to play ST and be a crappy backup is a waste of money and a roster spot in my opinion. Special Teams captains are not that hard to come by and neither are mediocre back ups. But, its not a waste of a ton of money so its doesnt really hurt the team that much.

Kassell is the ultimate Mangini guy. He came from nowhere, has a good attitude (in other words he obeys without question), and has now signed his third pro-contract. The guy is proof that, for all the talk about how elite the NFL is, mediocrity can still be rewarded.

Kassell isnt the problem. Its the number of "Kassell's" the Jets carry that is the problem. How many guys have the Jets kept because they have played well on specials even if they stink otherwise.

Kassell

Chatham

Spencer

Wright

Kowalewski

Tutt (is he still with the team?)

Posniack

There are others

Have all held roster spots for a couple of years without really producing anything. But Mangini seems to keep them rather than moving guys through those spots to see if he could find a diamond in the rough.

Mangini obviously loves mutts and mutts can be valuable. But in the end if you wanna win the show you gotta have more pure breads than mutts.

It doesnt surprise me and it doesnt really make a difference. To consider Kassell quality depth is a joke, but he was ST captain and he is good on the special units when punts arent bouncing up an hitting him in the azz.

Signing Kassell for three years to play ST and be a crappy backup is a waste of money and a roster spot in my opinion. Special Teams captains are not that hard to come by and neither are mediocre back ups. But, its not a waste of a ton of money so its doesnt really hurt the team that much.

Kassell is the ultimate Mangini guy. He came from nowhere, has a good attitude (in other words he obeys without question), and has now signed his third pro-contract. The guy is proof that, for all the talk about how elite the NFL is, mediocrity can still be rewarded.

Kassell isnt the problem. Its the number of "Kassell's" the Jets carry that is the problem. How many guys have the Jets kept because they have played well on specials even if they stink otherwise.

Kassell

Chatham

Spencer

Wright

Kowalewski

Tutt (is he still with the team?)

Posniack

There are others

Have all held roster spots for a couple of years without really producing anything. But Mangini seems to keep them rather than moving guys through those spots to see if he could find a diamond in the rough.

Mangini obviously loves mutts and mutts can be valuable. But in the end if you wanna win the show you gotta have more pure breads than mutts.

At what point does Mangini look at a player & determine: if he's not part of the solution, then he's part of the problem. Seems to be doing that with Vilma & maybe DRob (though the latter may be just on fan sites). He did it with Kendall (stupidly, without a backup plan of course). May be doing it with Coles as well. I don't know how much Coles is "the problem" as much as Coles/Cotchery could use a legit target to take much-needed pressure off them.

I don't know that a backup LB/special teams captain qualifies either. And that awful play with the ball hitting him in the back...he couldn't see it, and it WAS just one play. ST's coverage (other than Cobbs on opening day) has hardly been our team's problem. I still don't know how he was due to be a FA in March in the first place. We absolutely signed him to a 5-year deal before the 2006 season.

We'll see. We've been right in the thick of a bunch of trade/move rumors (which at this point are just rumors/talk). But if they were planning on staying pat at so many key positions we'd be hearing nothing.

At what point does Mangini look at a player & determine: if he's not part of the solution, then he's part of the problem.

I don't know that a backup LB/special teams captain qualifies. And that awful play with the ball hitting him in the back...he couldn't see it, and it WAS just one play. ST's coverage (other than Cobbs on opening day) has hardly been our team's problem.

I still don't know how he was due to be a FA in March in the first place. We absolutely signed him to a 5-year deal before the 2006 season.

Your first statement encapsulates what I was trying to get at. It seems to me that this is one of the problems that Mangini has. He seems to "fall in love" with a guy's history or attitude and he lets it blind him in regard to his actual abilities. I think Kassell is an excellent example of this.

Its not that I think Kassell is a real detriment to the team (as long as he isnt in on D too much). The ST play was understandable (these things happen), but if you sign Kassell for three it seems to indicate that you are considering him a part of your 53 before camp even starts.

This means that you already have him written in as your ILB back up/ sub before anything else happens and that you arent looking to draft on the 1st day for that position this year (Barton, Kassell, Harris still under contract). So you are then choosing to live with and pay known mediocrity (at best) for at least another year when you could be giving a serious look to guys who might be a more long term solution to the ILB problem the team has now and will have after Barton's contract is up next year.

By locking up Kassell early the Jets might also be indicating that they are not looking seriously at FA ILB guys many of whom would be a step up from Kassell.

Bottom line I think they could have done as well in FA with perhaps a younger player with more upside and I think Mangini's love of mutts like Kassell is, in small ways, preventing the team from looking at better options.

As for Kassell's contract, I thought it was 2 all along, but I'd trust your memory over mine.

Your first statement encapsulates what I was trying to get at. It seems to me that this is one of the problems that Mangini has. He seems to "fall in love" with a guy's history or attitude and he lets it blind him in regard to his actual abilities. I think Kassell is an excellent example of this.

Its not that I think Kassell is a real detriment to the team (as long as he isnt in on D too much). The ST play was understandable (these things happen), but if you sign Kassell for three it seems to indicate that you are considering him a part of your 53 before camp even starts.

This means that you already have him written in as your ILB back up/ sub before anything else happens and that you arent looking to draft on the 1st day for that position this year (Barton, Kassell, Harris still under contract). So you are then choosing to live with and pay known mediocrity (at best) for at least another year when you could be giving a serious look to guys who might be a more long term solution to the ILB problem the team has now and will have after Barton's contract is up next year.

By locking up Kassell early the Jets might also be indicating that they are not looking seriously at FA ILB guys many of whom would be a step up from Kassell.

Bottom line I think they could have done as well in FA with perhaps a younger player with more upside and I think Mangini's love of mutts like Kassell is, in small ways, preventing the team from looking at better options.

As for Kassell's contract, I thought it was 2 all along, but I'd trust your memory over mine.

The link I posted above from espn.com said it was a 5-year deal and on the nflpa website it had a salary listed through 2010. So this "scoop" may be nonsense, as he may already have been on the team.

If anything, this indicates to me that they're looking for someone new to be the starter, perhaps a rookie. You wouldn't draft a rookie to back up a rookie you drafted to start. If that's the case, and if we did re-sign him under that premise, I have no objection. I wouldn't want certain players slotted in as starters & everyone else is an inexperienced scrub/rookie.

Like I said though, we'll see. If Kassell is the 2008 Jets starting ILB'er next to Harris my words will certainly be less kind.

I think people are looking way too much into this deal.

Is Kassell great? Not by any means, but he is a team captain for a reason, the players respect him and he likely has at least some presence in the locker room.

This deal isnt even a big deal financially , he'll get what? a million a year, if that?

A million a year for this f_cking scrub? Why? B/C he's a "Mangini Guy"? I'm going to puke.

The link I posted above from espn.com said it was a 5-year deal and on the nflpa website it had a salary listed through 2010. So this "scoop" may be nonsense, as he may already have been on the team.

If anything, this indicates to me that they're looking for someone new to be the starter, perhaps a rookie. You wouldn't draft a rookie to back up a rookie you drafted to start. If that's the case, and if we did re-sign him under that premise, I have no objection. I wouldn't want certain players slotted in as starters & everyone else is an inexperienced scrub/rookie.

Like I said though, we'll see. If Kassell is the 2008 Jets starting ILB'er next to Harris my words will certainly be less kind.

It appears there are a few contradicting reports of when his contract expired.

Some have it down for two years, some five years.

KFFL reported it was a two-year deal when he was originally signed.

NFLDraftScout also reported that he is was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

In a small blurb, Rich Cimini noted that Kassell was quietly re-signed to a three-year deal.

Archived