1 member has voted

1. 1. Weakest Unit (QB's excluded)

• Offensive Line
    • Running Backs
    • Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
    • Defensive Line
    • Linebackers
    • Secondary

This thread has nothing to do with QB's, i wish i was a mod only so that i could delete any post that mentions the damn QB's.

I have to go with the defensive line. Ellis is up there in age, Coleman and Jenkins are both good, maybe Jenkins is damn good, but there is no depth. I fear that if one of them goes down we will be back to what we had last year.

The second worst unit has to be wide receiver. I never thought that would be going into the 07 season with Cotch emerging as a player but after the failed B Smith experiment, i really question the coaches ability to find serious WR talent. I, as most, hope Stuckey can emerge as a solid slot receiver. If that does happen we will be able to slowly let Keller learn the ropes and ease him into the NFL game without having to throw at him on every series.

I think it is a solid team, but one that lacks any depth at all. Our strongest outfit is Linebacker IMO, which is exactly what it should be in a 34 defense.

But QB is clearly the biggest weakness.

And starting RB. The coaching staff doesn't seem to realize that his backup is twice as good.

I should have said 'second weakest unit'. I guess i'm tired of reading about QB debates. Did you see the articles posted by KJ? All QB bull ****.

I guess I have to go DL, and I don't really think it is a weak unit, but it could be better

Jenkins is going to be a stud at NT IMO. Pouha as his back up played better then D-Rob last year. Ellis is always a tough player. Getting older, and is undersized, but still had 5 sacks last year which was tied for the lead on the team, and is good for a 3-4 DE. Coleman is under rated, and was our most consistent DL last year.

back up DE's are the problem. C J Mosley has some potential, but is short for a DE. After that there really isn't anyone who seems to have much upside.

QB is the most glaring weakness because we don't know who it will be and how he will perform, but the second biggest weakness are the Wide Receivers. We know what we have in two solid #2's in Coles & Cotchery, but there is no depth behind them.

Chansi Stuckey and Marcus Henry could turn into something, but they havn't shown it yet and Brad Smith is in the final year of his trying to become a Wide Receiver. If he continues to struggle, I don't see him on the 2009 Jets.

#2 Cb is the biggest weakness of all the starters IMO. I just feel sick at the thought of David Barrett still starting TBH. Revis is a stud opposite of him but we need a #2 to step up. Poteat is solid as a Nickel back.

The D-line is pretty weak, mainly due to Ellis sucking and the lack of depth. If Jenkins can stay healthy and be the dominant force I hope think he can be, then we should be okay there.

On offense, We still lack a deep threat at WR. Coles and Cotchery are very good at what they do, which is the short/intermadiate routes however they still don't stretch the field nearly enough. Hopefully Stuckey can develop into a stud Slot WR.

At RB i still don't like the idea of Thomas Jones being the feature back, I'd rather see more of Leon TBH.

I'm pretty happy about where we are right now though, we're miles ahead of where we were last season in terms of talent.

QB is the most glaring weakness because we don't know who it will be and how he will perform, but the second biggest weakness are the Wide Receivers. We know what we have in two solid #2's in Coles & Cotchery, but there is no depth behind them.

Chansi Stuckey and Marcus Henry could turn into something, but they havn't shown it yet and Brad Smith is in the final year of his trying to become a Wide Receiver. If he continues to struggle, I don't see him on the 2009 Jets.

Not only that... but both of our solid #1 and #2 WR's are #2 guys... they arent a true #1 threat...

Until I see the Jets consistently stop the run that will continue to be our weakest unit.

I dont' know, the jets should some good signs of stoping the run and playing pretty well overall defense. Minus injuries i'm really not concerened about our run defense, maybe i should be, but i'm just not.

Someone mentioned before about Ellis' lack of production, i have to disagree, he's pretty well fit to play DE in a 34. Hell, he was drafted to do just that i thought.

Offensive Line - Got the most help in the off season and should be fine,

Running Backs - Will be helped secondary

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends - Plenty of talent and upside to rookies

Defensive Line - Huge upgrades

Linebackers - A good core with upgrades

Secondary - Revis alone.

BZ

Try looking up 'excluded' in the dictionary. Learning is fun.

I understand what the word means, but it doesn't change the fact that it's our most glaring weakness.

That's like saying, "Besides the price of crude oil, why is gas so expensive?" Sure, there are other reasons, but they are so small in comparison to reason #1.

It was a toss up for me between the WR's and the DL, but I went with the WR's. Coles and Cotchery are both tough, solid players, but there are no gamebreakers here and that's what you need at the WR position. Hurray for Bubba having a nice minicamp so far, and I have high hopes for Keller, but the unit is pretty weak overall. Add in Coles' potential concussion problems, and things are pretty dire.

The DL will be ok if Jenkins is everything we hope he is. Coleman and Ellis are quality 3-4 DE's, but depth is a concern.

I'm really surprised at the number of votes the secondary's gotten so far. Revis and Rhodes are two of the best players on the team, and there's a healthy competition at the other safety spot. I'm not nearly as concerned about the #2 CB position as I am about whoever plays RT.

I understand what the word means, but it doesn't change the fact that it's our most glaring weakness.

That's like saying, "Besides the price of crude oil, why is gas so expensive?" Sure, there are other reasons, but they are so small in comparison to reason #1.

Just busting.

You say weakness, I say question mark. But there is no doubt it is a huge issue. But we have discussed it to death in a thousant other threads. Can't we discuss other positions, just once without getting into the QB thing? Especially when the thread maker asks us to?

If there was one position of need for us, it's not CB. We have had CB's play that #2 position that were less than good and functioned pretty well when we had the good defense in 04. A team doesn't need two good to great corners, i feel we are strong enough at the one to roll coverages and mask the other.

The postion i'm most concerened with is RT. I haven't seen one shred of gamefilm on Woody all i know is that he plays guard and center as well. To me, without knowing the situation, he won't be the mauler that we need. Moore is an average player, which is fine, but like the CB position, in order to mask that weakness we need to cover it with strength. I'm afraid we are walking into the same situation as we had in 06, as the offensive line is concerned. It was great grabbing Faneca to help out the young guys but by not trading down, and only addressing this weakness through FA with an unknown...how can that be considered a benefit?

I wanted Gosder Chelerious, i realize he was gone to the lions in the 20's so he did not fall out of the first as i had hoped would happen. But with the Keller pick (again, i'm not knocking him, or the pick) we lost a valuable 4th rounder which could have been used for a project RT. As it stands our backup RT is a 6th round Jacob Bender and a seventh round 6'6" Bama product. Maybe one or both could be good players at some point, it just seems like a lot to wish for.

Lets pray for a healthy season.

Aside from the QB which is obvious I would say the OL and DL.

Sure they addressed these issues in the off season but I'm talking about guys who have already been here for awhile.

D-Brick: Does he finally step up and become the rock on the left side that the Jets thought he would be.

Bryan Thomas: Does he get off his lazy @ss and start playing again.

Shaun Ellis: Can he ever get back to pro bowl form or will he just sleepwalk his way through the rest of his deal like he did last year.

If the Jets are going to make ANY noise this year they have to be able to control the LOS. Something that they were abysmal at last year.

WR

A great WR can make almost any QB look good... the JETS dont have a franchise QB or WR.... thats a problem...

Funny how all our WR's made the probowl after leaving noodle arm. A great WR may make a QB a little better, but a great QB makes WR's alot better.

If there was one position of need for us, it's not CB. We have had CB's play that #2 position that were less than good and functioned pretty well when we had the good defense in 04. A team doesn't need two good to great corners, i feel we are strong enough at the one to roll coverages and mask the other.

The postion i'm most concerened with is RT. I haven't seen one shred of gamefilm on Woody all i know is that he plays guard and center as well. To me, without knowing the situation, he won't be the mauler that we need. Moore is an average player, which is fine, but like the CB position, in order to mask that weakness we need to cover it with strength. I'm afraid we are walking into the same situation as we had in 06, as the offensive line is concerned. It was great grabbing Faneca to help out the young guys but by not trading down, and only addressing this weakness through FA with an unknown...how can that be considered a benefit?

I wanted Gosder Chelerious, i realize he was gone to the lions in the 20's so he did not fall out of the first as i had hoped would happen. But with the Keller pick (again, i'm not knocking him, or the pick) we lost a valuable 4th rounder which could have been used for a project RT. As it stands our backup RT is a 6th round Jacob Bender and a seventh round 6'6" Bama product. Maybe one or both could be good players at some point, it just seems like a lot to wish for.

Lets pray for a healthy season.

I have faith in Woody that he will more than get the job done. He is a very good OL. He should be a mauler and no matter what a huge upgrade over Clement. Supposedly he looked the best he has in years when he was moved to RT last year. As for the depth issue on both lines, I have a feeling they will bring in a vet or two for depth before the season starts. There are still a lot of cuts to come. Let's hope they bring in a vet DE as well. I hear ya on the healthy season but I'm pretty sure they will address the depth situation before Sept. They have been active in the pre-season the last two years so I don't see any reason why they won't again this year.

Funny how all our WR's made the probowl after leaving noodle arm. A great WR may make a QB a little better, but a great QB makes WR's alot better.

That was due to a good Oline on a big spending team in the NFC

Aside from the QB which is obvious I would say the OL and DL.

Sure they addressed these issues in the off season but I'm talking about guys who have already been here for awhile.

D-Brick: Does he finally step up and become the rock on the left side that the Jets thought he would be.

Bryan Thomas: Does he get off his lazy @ss and start playing again.

Shaun Ellis: Can he ever get back to pro bowl form or will he just sleepwalk his way through the rest of his deal like he did last year.

If the Jets are going to make ANY noise this year they have to be able to control the LOS. Something that they were abysmal at last year.

D'Brick will be a lot better with Faneca next to him as will Mangold. Whne the LG is getting knocked around it's not much help to the LT which is what happened a lot last year. Bryan Thomas should be better but who knows. The good news there is they drafted Gholston and still have Bowens around. OLB should not be too much of a concern right now. Ellis can't help but play better with Jenkins in the middle and I don't think he was as bad as you seem to think he was last year. He just got engulfed at times since D-Rob couldn't swallow up blockers. I'm a little worried about depth on both lines but I expect they will be active before the season in bringing in a vet or two for that reason.

This thread has nothing to do with QB's, i wish i was a mod only so that i could delete any post that mentions the damn QB's.

I have to go with the defensive line. Ellis is up there in age, Coleman and Jenkins are both good, maybe Jenkins is damn good, but there is no depth. I fear that if one of them goes down we will be back to what we had last year.

The second worst unit has to be wide receiver. I never thought that would be going into the 07 season with Cotch emerging as a player but after the failed B Smith experiment, i really question the coaches ability to find serious WR talent. I, as most, hope Stuckey can emerge as a solid slot receiver. If that does happen we will be able to slowly let Keller learn the ropes and ease him into the NFL game without having to throw at him on every series.

I think it is a solid team, but one that lacks any depth at all. Our strongest outfit is Linebacker IMO, which is exactly what it should be in a 34 defense.

I agree with your points at DE. Behind Ellis and Coleman is Mike DeVito, who is an overachiever. Beyond that, are the 3-4 converts like Bowens and Bryan Thomas. Got a feeling that Thomas and Bowens will get snaps at the ILB next to Harris and at DE to increase the number of pass rushers, ala the Giants model, especially on passing downs. Both are strong against the run so there is not a big weakness created.

As far as NT, I would disagree. I think that Pouha emerged as a solid player behind D'Rob and will p[lay that role behind Jenkins. CJ Mosley is a good player too, who could get snaps at DE, also.

No question, overall, we could use another DE, but barring injury, we should be OK.

But QB is clearly the biggest weakness.

And starting RB. The coaching staff doesn't seem to realize that his backup is twice as good.

Leon Washington should have a breakout year. I think that the Jets will use the Thomas Jones runs to set up more Leon and vice versa. Should really wear down D-lines. Leon is like a Reggie Bush type back. He makes a big impact when the battering ram is effectve. Notice Bush had an off year when Deuce McCalister got hurt. So my prediction is Leon Washington makes the bigger impact but Thomas Jones gets the tough yards and wears down the pursuit. Late in games. Jones should be able to get his yard aginst exhausted D-lineman, who've spent 3 quarters chasing Leon. Tony Richardson burying that first guy will make a big difference for both guys as well as the blitz pick-up. It's a good combination.

WR WR WR Ive been saying this for years this team does not have a true #1 WR.

Examples of true #1s Moss,Owens,Burress,Johnson,Edwards these type.

Name a #1 receiver on a team with a poor QB or a weak O-line. Moss was lost in Oakland. All these guys make their QB's better, but all have QB's who can get them the ball and have good offensive lines to allow time for those big routes. If Clemmons develops into a good QB and the O'line gives him time to throw, Coles and Cotchery will make bigger plays. If that happens, watch for the Jets to draft a #1 next year or sign a #1 type as a free agent. In a Chad or a developing Clemmons run offense, they need good options quick for them to succeed. Finally, #1's don't grow on trees. This team had alot of holes to fill. With 2 guys capable of 80 catches for 1000+ yards each, this wasn't the biggest need. Keller will wreak havoc with the safeties and LB-ers. This offense is more than a #1 receiver away from elite. We had to fill 3 to 4 holes to get to mediocre.

I'm betting on the defense and special teams to lead us.

Name a #1 receiver on a team with a poor QB or a weak O-line. Moss was lost in Oakland. All these guys make their QB's better, but all have QB's who can get them the ball and have good offensive lines to allow time for those big routes. If Clemmons develops into a good QB and the O'line gives him time to throw, Coles and Cotchery will make bigger plays. If that happens, watch for the Jets to draft a #1 next year or sign a #1 type as a free agent. In a Chad or a developing Clemmons run offense, they need good options quick for them to succeed. Finally, #1's don't grow on trees. This team had alot of holes to fill. With 2 guys capable of 80 catches for 1000+ yards each, this wasn't the biggest need. Keller will wreak havoc with the safeties and LB-ers. This offense is more than a #1 receiver away from elite. We had to fill 3 to 4 holes to get to mediocre.

I'm betting on the defense and special teams to lead us.

Name the last true #1 WR this team has had.My pick is Al Toon.

Moss was still a true #1 in Oakland.

I agree on Keller.

Offense wins games,Defense wins championships.

Archived