Today's News and the QB Controversy

slats

Quoted from above...

Joyner said: “Clemens always seems get the benefit of the doubt. Pennington does not.”

Hmmm... Like this?

After eight practices, the competition has unfolded as expected. In the three sessions open to the media, Clemens has outperformed Pennington, who struggled yesterday on routine 15- and 20-yard out patterns...

I think it's natural for the Clemens to get the benefit of the doubt. With Pennington, you know what you have. With Clemens, you suspect potential. But I have to wonder if Joyner has seen the two QB's in action this spring, or if he's basing his opinion strictly on his breakdown of the numbers.

Which brings to mind the quote, There's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The numbers, Joyner said, suggest the opposite. Clemens averaged more yards per attempt (6.1 to 5.8) on short passes (1-10 yards) last season. Pennington, who is supposed to have the weaker arm of the two, averaged more yards per attempt (8.9 to 8.8) on medium passes (11-19 yards), more yards per attempt (11.3 to 8.7) on deep passes (20-29 yards) and more yards per attempt (22.8 to 12.3) on the longest passes (30-plus yards).

This has nothing to do with arm strength, and everything to do with accuracy. Clemens was inaccurate last year. There were a lot of factors involved, not the least of which were dropped passes or a faulty line. No young QB was going to have a lot of success given those circumstances.

Yet, he seems to fully understand what his shortcomings were.

Clemens' goal is to become a more accurate passer than last season (52% percent completion rate), and he spent the late-winter months firing passes at targets on an indoor net.

"It's nice to see the things I worked on in February, March and April showing up on the field," he said. "That, to me, is encouraging."

The benefit of the doubt this year could be that Clemens is making the improvements the coaches feel he has to make, while Pennington resists. If Clemens can get his completion percentage up to around 60%, he should blow away Pennington in the numbers listed above. Nice to see he's working on it and seeing results.

The lack of Justin McCariens and demotion of Brad Smith might help.

When I say Pennington may be resisting, this is the quote I was refering to:

Each quarterback is evaluated in 37 categories, according to Pennington - everything from throws to the left, throws to the right, throws over 15 yards and various third-down situations. Pennington admitted he doesn't agree with every critique, but he said the coaches are open to discussion.

Something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind. It's understandable for Pennington to be more adverse to critiques at this stage of his career, but if he doesn't do what the coaches feel he needs to do, he's defintely going to be out of a job.

Any young Quarterback is going to have accuracy problems unless you put him in ball control type offense where they are throwing the ball just 15-20 times a game. Also, don't forget that with better play on the Offensive Line, Kellen's accuracy will improve because he won't be on the run as much. Good to hear that he has outperformed Chad in all three practices avaiable to the media. They have an open one today as well so can't wait to hear the notes from todays session.

I am very encouraged to read that Kellen worked so diligently on his one glaring weakness from last year (his accuracy). I do consider myself a big fan of Chad's but this has always been one area that I wish he would focus on. Not his accuracy, but improving on his weaknesses. I fully understand the arm surgeries he's had, but it was more the attitude of he seemed to feel his arm strength was adequate enough, and didn't seem that concerned to really improve on it.

If the coaches tell you to work on aspects of your game, you just go and do it.

Makes me so happy!:) My boy seems to be winning the job. Hail Clemens,get Chad outa town fast.

Why in the world would you want Pennington "out of town fast".

Clearly the best situation would be for Pennington to have a great camp, but for Clemens to just light it up, and be the clear winner. That would leave the Jets with a very good starter, and one of the best back ups in the league,

Just don't understand this "Chad hate". Guys a Jet, and has been a good player for the Jets.

There have been 3 OTA's open to the media. Who is to say Chad isn't winning the OTA's that aren't open to the public?

The laws of probability. 3 out of 3 in a statistical pool of 8 is a pretty good indicator.

Why in the world would you want Pennington "out of town fast".

Clearly the best situation would be for Pennington to have a great camp, but for Clemens to just light it up, and be the clear winner. That would leave the Jets with a very good starter, and one of the best back ups in the league,

Just don't understand this "Chad hate". Guys a Jet, and has been a good player for the Jets.

You should know by now, that makes way too much sense. ;)

I don't know where the whole "Chad is extremely accurate" hype came from, apart from a high completion percentage on short passes. When Chad is at QB, the WR's rarely get YAC because he does not hit them in stride, instead they are lunging, reaching back, jumping or diving for the ball.

I don't know where the whole "Chad is extremely accurate" hype came from, apart from a high completion percentage on short passes. When Chad is at QB, the WR's rarely get YAC because he does not hit them in stride, instead they are lunging, reaching back, jumping or diving for the ball.

That's what makes his completion percentage. If I remember correctly 2006 when we made the playoff's every post game Lucas, Schien, & Custer would praise the WR's YAC & that was something that was missing last season.

Clemens should be more of an air-it-out kind of QB, whereas Chad is a game manager. Right?

Now personally, I'd like to see Clemens in there because I want to find out whether we have our quarterback of the future.

But here's what I don't get. Aren't our off-season acquisitions more suitable for a game manager type? For example, Bubba Franks ability to grab a lob in the endzone makes him a Chad kind of player. Dustin Keller is a TE with speed that makes for a good check off or dump target because he can get you some YAC, that sounds like a Chad-ready player too.

So if the FO thinks Clemens is the QB of the future, why didn't they pickup a young burner such as a DeSean Jackson? WRs often take a few years to develop, so you kind of need to jump on that right away if you're moving from a game-management offense to an air-it-out setup.

It's apparent to me that this year this offense is made to run, pound the ball up the middle, make use of a lot of 2TE formations, and use Coles and Cotch to make some big plays when the defense starts falling asleep.

If that is the case then why does Chad have ypc numbers that match up well with the competition? I thought that was all because of YAC. I don't see how people can complain that all of Chad's yards come from YAC, but then claim that "WR's rarely get YAC". Make up your minds Chad haters.

Clemens should be more of an air-it-out kind of QB, whereas Chad is a game manager. Right?

Now personally, I'd like to see Clemens in there because I want to find out whether we have our quarterback of the future.

But here's what I don't get. Aren't our off-season acquisitions more suitable for a game manager type? For example, Bubba Franks ability to grab a lob in the endzone makes him a Chad kind of player. Dustin Keller is a TE with speed that makes for a good check off or dump target because he can get you some YAC, that sounds like a Chad-ready player too.

So if the FO thinks Clemens is the QB of the future, why didn't they pickup a young burner such as a DeSean Jackson? WRs often take a few years to develop, so you kind of need to jump on that right away if you're moving from a game-management offense to an air-it-out setup.

It's apparent to me that this year this offense is made to run, pound the ball up the middle, make use of a lot of 2TE formations, and use Coles and Cotch to make some big plays when the defense starts falling asleep.

Coles ran a 4.38 at FSU. That's why he was moved from RB to WR. As a decoy for Warwick. Stuckey is also very fast.

With that said, I do believe the Jets are going to run a Marty Ball East type offense. Pounding the ball up the middle, and quick hits to TE's in the seam. Chuck one upfield once in awhile to keep the D honest.

Thing is Chad can't hit the 15 yard out anymore. At least he couldn't hit them last two years. That's why his interceptions and pic 6's have skyrocked. Safeties are just sitting on them.

I like Pennington, I just don't think he has shown an NFL arm in a couple of years.

Coles ran a 4.38 at FSU. That's why he was moved from RB to WR. As a decoy for Warwick. Stuckey is also very fast.

With that said, I do believe the Jets are going to run a Marty Ball East type offense. Pounding the ball up the middle, and quick hits to TE's in the seam. Chuck one upfield once in awhile to keep the D honest.

Thing is Chad can't hit the 15 yard out anymore. At least he couldn't hit them last two years. That's why his interceptions and pic 6's have skyrocked. Safeties are just sitting on them.

I like Pennington, I just don't think he has shown an NFL arm in a couple of years.

Stuckey's quick, but not that fast. He only ran a 4.56 at the combine. He was better at his pro day, but if your looking for speed you're better off looking to Clowney who blew a 4.37. I think that Coles has run much faster times than 4.38, but he simply doesn't seem to be a monster deep threat. I think you are right about the O. I just hope this new O line has the beef to get the job done.

Stuckey's quick, but not that fast. He only ran a 4.56 at the combine. He was better at his pro day, but if your looking for speed you're better off looking to Clowney who blew a 4.37. I think that Coles has run much faster times than 4.38, but he simply doesn't seem to be a monster deep threat. I think you are right about the O. I just hope this new O line has the beef to get the job done.

Your correct about the combine #'s, but he also had an injured foot at both the combine, and his Pro day. Same foot he was IR'ed with last season.

He has excellent on field speed. You are also correct about Clowney. It is going to be very tight for Clowney to make this roster. The Cuts at WR and RB should be interesting to watch.

If that is the case then why does Chad have ypc numbers that match up well with the competition? I thought that was all because of YAC. I don't see how people can complain that all of Chad's yards come from YAC, but then claim that "WR's rarely get YAC". Make up your minds Chad haters.

I'm not a Chad hater, I'm just commenting on what I have seen from years of watching Chad. He does not lead his receivers, the throws are always behind them or over ther heads, leading to concussions or other related injuries.

Chad Lover

Your correct about the combine #'s, but he also had an injured foot at both the combine, and his Pro day. Same foot he was IR'ed with last season.

He has excellent on field speed. You are also correct about Clowney. It is going to be very tight for Clowney to make this roster. The Cuts at WR and RB should be interesting to watch.

Yeah, Clowney probably won't make the cut, but he's an interesting guy. He went to Green Bay in the fifth, so there is reason to believe the Jets may have been higher on him than Stuckey, but they sure seemed to be getting Stuckey involved in the preseason, while Clowney sat on the practice squad and didn't do anything. They have some nice projects at WR, but they need a true #3. I hope somebody grabs it.

I'm not a Chad hater, I'm just commenting on what I have seen from years of watching Chad. He does not lead his receivers, the throws are always behind them or over ther heads, leading to concussions or other related injuries.

Chad's yards per attempt are pretty good. I have heard that rationalized as him benefiting from YAC. If his throws are so bad that nobody can run after the catch, then how does he get all those yards per attempt? I'm not singling you out, but it's one or the other.

OTOH, I think blaming "concussions or other related injuries" on Chad is straight up bull****. I'm pretty sure Chrebet got the bulk of his head shots with Vinny at QB and the one that did him in was from Brooksie. Toon got all of his from strong armed QBs. Sure Coles got hammered a few times catching balls from Chad, but I don't believe it was because the passes were inaccurate, but because they were in tight spots and took too long to get there. Coles latest injury was a direct result of Clemens underthrowing him on the flew flicker.

Don't you think that has more to do with a weak-armed QB throwing to him all these years?

That could be. He had his best years ypc-wise prior to Chad's surgery. With Vinny, '02 Chad and Ramsey he had some serious ypc. OTOH, he never seemed a monster deep threat to me, even with the 'skins and his ypc dropped like a stone since he became a number 1 in DC.

Chad Lover

Hater.

When I say Pennington may be resisting, this is the quote I was refering to:

Something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind. It's understandable for Pennington to be more adverse to critiques at this stage of his career, but if he doesn't do what the coaches feel he needs to do, he's defintely going to be out of a job.

"Pennington admitted he doesn't agree with every critique, but he said the coaches are open to discussion."

Schotty: Chad, you dont have a good enough arm to make that throw in that coverage.

Chad: I think I do but sometimes my footwork - - - (cut off)

Schotty: No, you really dont. Seriously.

Chad: But Elmo thinks I have a rocket arm!

Archived