Crybaby Baker rips Jets - PFT.com

CHRIS BAKER RIPS JETS

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2008, 4:44 p.m.

The fractured relationship between the Jets and tight end Chris Baker does not appear close to mending, as Baker ripped the team when addressing the media today.

When asked if he expects to play for the Jets this year, Baker said, “If things stay the way they are, no, I don’t see how that’s possible. I don’t want that to be the case, but I don’t see how that’s possible … Imagine if coach [Eric] Mangini was the third highest-paid coach on the staff. You think he’d be happy about that? You think he would allow that to happen? I mean, that’s how I feel.”

Baker started 15 games last season and caught 41 passes for 409 yards. He said today that those numbers don’t show his true value, because he was asked to stay in and block last year and did so gladly. Baker has two years left on his current deal and is owed a base salary of $1.65 million this season.

Baker has said that General Manager Mike Tannenbaum agreed to a restructuring of his contract, only to recant later. Said Tannenbaum today, “I know what was said so I think Chris and I have a difference of opinion on those conversations.”

Baker also compared his present situation to what happened last year with guard Pete Kendall, who was traded to the Redskins after complaining about his contract. Said Baker of Kendall, “His situation was ridiculous and it basically tanked our season last year … Hopefully, I don’t get put in that situation, but it looks like we’re going down the same road.”

I am so sick and tired of this piece of ****.

Hey Chris, guess what, Eric Mangini would never be the third highest paid coach on the coaching staff because he is the HEAD COACH. That argument would actually work if you were still the starting Tight End. Guess what, you're not. Bubba Franks is better than you, and so is Dustin Keller. You're nothing but a blocker and those two can catch the ball better than you and will do so if they remain healthy. 41 catches for 409 yards was your BEST SEASON STAT WISE. Are you ****ting me? You're OVER-PAID by getting $1.65 million a year for garbage stats like that. When before did you show your "true value" *******?

And on top of all that garbage, you're a ****ing moron when it comes to the Pete Kendall situation. It tanked the teams season? Really? One ****ing player, a Left Guard, tanked the teams season? I don't think so. How about the Right Tackle? The Playcalling? Brad Smith's drops? No Pass Rush at all? No 34 Nose Tackle? An undersized "leader" of the defense playing Inside Linebacker? What about those small ****ing problems you big dumb ****.

Rot in hell, scumbag.

I cannot blame Baker for being pissed or for wanting his share of coin. It is not like the Jets have a consistent policy or anything..the Coles move proves it

I can't blame him either, but I also can't see why they'd cave to him. I don't see him deserving a big contract and unlike last year, there are other (better) options already in place. Thing that interests me is that he said the Kendall deal "tanked" the season last year. I'm sure that's just posturing, but I wonder what the players really think about it.

I can't blame him either, but I also can't see why they'd cave to him. I don't see him deserving a big contract and unlike last year, there are other (better) options already in place. Thing that interests me is that he said the Kendall deal "tanked" the season last year. I'm sure that's just posturing, but I wonder what the players really think about it.

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but Baker isn't playing o-line, he's playing tight-end. Teams can win without tight ends (although our other options are great), teams cannot win without an o-line, big difference Baker.

As Dom27 stated, its also a big difference in terms of there are two BETTER replacements for Baker. In Kendall's case it was a largely unknown player with a big body. Baker? If he stays he'll be third on the depth chart. The situations arn't even close.

Hey Chris, maybe you can fail to get at least one foot down in Cleveland again with about 5 yards of real estate between you and the out of bounds line you schmuck. Use that awesome strength you have that we always hear about.

There are a couple of pretty big differences between Kendall and Baker situations. The most important is that we have a nice plan B with Franks and Keller rostered. Second, I think that many of us as fans were more on Kendalls side wanting the Jets to get a deal done where as in Bakers case, I think we are sick of hearing from him and would just wish he would shut up or go away

I could understand if he actually was good, but a mediocre TE is complaining about how much he is being paid? Eff him.

put him on special teams duty only and use him as a tackling dummy.

How come he never mentions his restructured deal from last year????

Jerk off. I hope his career ends soon.

He's got no leverage, and hes got 2 years left on his deal. Let him ****ing sit, he just got another deal from the Jets because nobody else was interested in him. I would have been all for getting a new deal in place for next year if he had shut his mouth and done his job this season. Now I say **** him.

I could understand if he actually was good, but a mediocre TE is complaining about how much he is being paid? Eff him.

put him on special teams duty only and use him as a tackling dummy.

How come he never mentions his restructured deal from last year????

Jerk off. I hope his career ends soon.

I understand why you're pissed at Baker but do you honestly think he's mediocre? He's a good all-around tight end.

If Baker was in a situation where the Jets had a blocking tight end and could use him mostly for pass catching (like Witten in Dallas last season had Fasano) he'd probably be getting 60 receptions and 800 yards a season.

Too bad Keller can't block like Baker.

Don't need him too, that is what Bubba Franks is for. Once again, the organization wouldn't have picked up Franks and Keller if they believed in Chris Baker. You can have all the potential in the world but its one thing to produce on the field. His best season has been 41 receptions for 409 yards. Hardly elite. He will never be an elite TE, always mediocre at best. They'd trade him if anyone was willing to offer anything.

I am so sick and tired of this piece of ****.

Hey Chris, guess what, Eric Mangini would never be the third highest paid coach on the coaching staff because he is the HEAD COACH. That argument would actually work if you were still the starting Tight End. Guess what, you're not. Bubba Franks is better than you, and so is Dustin Keller. You're nothing but a blocker and those two can catch the ball better than you and will do so if they remain healthy. 41 catches for 409 yards was your BEST SEASON STAT WISE. Are you ****ting me? You're OVER-PAID by getting $1.65 million a year for garbage stats like that. When before did you show your "true value" *******?

And on top of all that garbage, you're a ****ing moron when it comes to the Pete Kendall situation. It tanked the teams season? Really? One ****ing player, a Left Guard, tanked the teams season? I don't think so. How about the Right Tackle? The Playcalling? Brad Smith's drops? No Pass Rush at all? No 34 Nose Tackle? An undersized "leader" of the defense playing Inside Linebacker? What about those small ****ing problems you big dumb ****.

Rot in hell, scumbag.

Serious dude?

CB is is only a blocker? Sorry..but he has VERY GOOD hands for a TE, and he blocks well. He certainly isn't overpaid, that's misconstrued my looking at his stats.

How many years have the Jets fully used a TE as often as SD, KC or IND? If the offense was called more for him, he would be putting up some good numbers. Many people here were pleading for more PT for Baker, including myself.

He's right..Kendall's situation ****ed us last year. Was there any game you watched last year where any QB had remotely enough time to stand in the pocket, let alone step in to a pass? Football games are won in the trenches, and we were bar none the worst in the league. Trickle effect my friend, it effected the rest of the squad.

I love all 3 of our TE..but to say Baker is nothing more than a blocker is more of you venting then talking football.

Chris Baker is nothing but mediocre. He's a good blocker with decent hands whose most productive season was 41 catches for 409 yards. You can only use the word potential so much before it becomes annoying and means nothing. Chris Baker is not in the top tier of Tight Ends in this league. He isn't even Top 20.

A soon to be back-up Tight End wanting more than $1.65 million a year? Seriously? Get a life Baker. When the organization signs Bubba Franks and drafts Dustin Keller it should be a clear sign to you that you're on your last leg and the organization does not believe in you.

He's so good? Really? How about producing on the field for once. Don't give me this garbage about Quarterbacks because both Pennington and Clemens like to throw underneath to their Tight Ends. Both of them. The facts are Chris Baker is nothing more than ordinary and should shut his mouth and actually show up on the field.

And yes the Kendall situation hurt the team, nobody is disputing that, but Baker left out plenty of key reasons as to why the team was 4-12 last season. Pete Kendall was nowhere near the lone or most important factor. He also tries to compare his situation to Kendall. HA! Sorry Chris, but Kendall actually is a good Left Guard, you're a scrub and there are two guys already in place that are better than you.

I hope the Jets cut him and he ends up being a backup Tight End on Arizona.

Don't need him too, that is what Bubba Franks is for. Once again, the organization wouldn't have picked up Franks and Keller if they believed in Chris Baker. You can have all the potential in the world but its one thing to produce on the field. His best season has been 41 receptions for 409 yards. Hardly elite. He will never be an elite TE, always mediocre at best. They'd trade him if anyone was willing to offer anything.

Mediocre at best - you must have a serious hard-on for this guy. If the Jets had a blocking tight end last season instead of having to devote Baker to helping D'Brickashaw block his man half the time Baker would have had a lot more than 41 receptions. Baker has excellent hands, runs good routes and is quick for a tight end.

I like the Franks signing but he did miss half a season last year which has to raise a red flag. The Jets better not get into a situation next year where they've traded Baker, Franks is injured and Keller is forced to help out D'Brickashaw on the left side. That's a disaster recipe.

btw, does anyone know how much Baker is asking for?

with Kendall it could be argued that since he only asked for another million, which considering the Jets had no good backup plan at left guard, was probably not unreasonable. not that i'm a fan of kendall or supporting him, just that i never thought his position was unreasonable.

with baker i think it might be the same. i think, at least for this year baker is the best TE we have. he can catch and block, which makes him more versatile and less predictable than keller or franks. i wouldn't write him off yet, it just would depend on what he's asking for.

i also think a possible solution is for the organization to re-write his contract with incentive clauses that if reached could help him make more money. like this it seems like it would be a win-win.

There are better pieces in place. Though you cant see him deserving a pay day, the reason he does is because told him that they wanted him to stay in the block. His stats are what they are because of what they called him to do. Im not saying that he should get a big contract given that the jets do have another solid TE in Franks and great depth in Keller, however, I dont like how people are disrespecting this man like he did something wrong. This wouldnt be the first time a team stated a contract restructure then when the offseason came there were som "opportunities" that came that organizations way and all of a sudden people are very forgetful. bottomline is this, baker shouldnt take this personal...which he's doing. this is business. He should never think that a contract his his until he actually signs the contract, people in business say alot of things, but one thing that is absolutely true all the time is that when they do things its in the best interest of the organization not the "player". He cant compare himself to Kendall because there was no replacement for kendall...so it hurt. He cant compare himself to Coles, because, though cothery is almost there...it isnt certain, or he may get hurt, so Coles couldnt be replaced. In a situation like bakers, we have two people right now that can take his job. what he needs to do is understand that you cant win them all. He lost this battle. Play the year out and get your stock up, leave the team and get your money somewhere else because being 30 plus and sitting out is not going to get him that deal he's talking about nor his current deal. Its unfortuate for him.

P.S. To all the Jet fans calling baker out, disrespecting him. This is business. We can stick with a team that has been the embodiment of what it is to be a failure for 30+ years yet we as jet fans have the balls to call a man out that has been the only solid TE that we've had the last decade. Im not saying that you have to agree with him, cuz you dont. but all this outrage for nothing.....Its not like this dude is Chad Pennington chewing up all the damn money for a bum juice arm, and til this very day Chad gets respect from the majority of this forum and he hasnt been relevant for 6 years.

P.P.S. Dominator ,I wasnt talking to you....most of what was in my post was just general to what i've read overall. please dont attempt to flame me lol.

This is getting tiresome. Yet another cry for extra coin. I see both his side and the Jets. Hopefully "something" gets worked out and he STFU and plays. I DON'T (nor do any of us ;)) want a repeat of the Pete Kendall fiasco.

No doubt in my mind that Chris can earn a starting position elsewhere, and not just perform adequately.. but excel. In the right circumstances, he is a damn good TE and certainly should be #1 on our depth chart for the time being.

He continues to have record years. Even last year in the midst of all that chaos. So he's upset that TWO guys come in and have bigger contracts than he does. Why should that be surprising? Yeah, I wish he would shut his mouth for the good of the team, but let's be honest.. he should be upset.

He's not a great blocker by any means and he can't get separation from LB's in most cases..He is not a TE that can run the seam and force safety's to cover him, LB's have no issue running with him..Chris Baker is a servicable TE in the NFL..thats it..Lets not make him into HOF..He fires his agent and hires him back..I think Chris is getting some bad advise.

I think Baker is an above average te, lets keep in mind who is quarterbacks have been. I love how everyone stands on their soapbox when it comes to money issues. Applied to their own life different story of course. The Jets front office has been far from perfect and with the recent spending spree, the Coles deal and the deal for I believe Brandon Moore I do not blame Baker for wanting his. He does not appear to be looking for mega money.

I understand why you're pissed at Baker but do you honestly think he's mediocre? He's a good all-around tight end.

If Baker was in a situation where the Jets had a blocking tight end and could use him mostly for pass catching (like Witten in Dallas last season had Fasano) he'd probably be getting 60 receptions and 800 yards a season.

Yes, he is a mediocre TE.

He is mediocre at blocking. He got beat so many times around the corner last year it was laughable.

He is mediocre at route running.

He is mediocre at catching the ball.

So yes, he is mediocre, so he is perfect for this team. He is replaceable very easily.

Serious dude?

CB is is only a blocker? Sorry..but he has VERY GOOD hands for a TE, and he blocks well. He certainly isn't overpaid, that's misconstrued my looking at his stats.

How many years have the Jets fully used a TE as often as SD, KC or IND? If the offense was called more for him, he would be putting up some good numbers. Many people here were pleading for more PT for Baker, including myself.

He's right..Kendall's situation ****ed us last year. Was there any game you watched last year where any QB had remotely enough time to stand in the pocket, let alone step in to a pass? Football games are won in the trenches, and we were bar none the worst in the league. Trickle effect my friend, it effected the rest of the squad.

I love all 3 of our TE..but to say Baker is nothing more than a blocker is more of you venting then talking football.

Baker is not a good blocker. And he was part of the reason why our O-line was swiss cheese last year. He didnt do his job.

And again we see lots of: if the jets only threw to the TE... They didnt. They havent. If we had T. Gonzalez or A. Gates, you think they would only have 400 yards? Doubtful.

Baker is replaceable. He is nothing special.

Archived