Hutchinson: Chad "weak"

TomShane

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Throwing for the third consecutive day for the first time since undergoing surgery Feb. 8 to repair his torn right rotator cuff, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington's arm is clearly weak, even for Chad Pennington.

And, for the first time, coach Herman Edwards admitted Pennington had "big-time" surgery. In the past, the Jets have tried to downplay the extent of Pennington's surgery, saying he had only a slight tear and he'll be ready for the opener, no problem.

Pennington, never known for his arm strength and unavailable for comment, underthrew both of his deep passes (approximately 40 yards) during yesterday's afternoon practice, with one being intercepted and another caught by a leaping Justin McCareins over diminutive cornerback Ray Mickens. On Saturday, Pennington underthrew another deep ball, and it was intercepted by cornerback David Barrett.

"He's not all the way well yet," Edwards said. "That's going to happen and that's okay. I'd rather him to do that than sit there and go, 'Okay, I'm just going to throw 10-yard outs, 15-yard outs and not throw the ball down the field.' Because at the end of the day, the more he does, the better he's going to understand where he's at throwing the ball. If he never threw it, then he'd never know. So I think that's a good sign that's he's willing to do that. That's a good thing, not a bad thing."

Edwards said he planned to talk to Pennington to see if he'll throw again today or rest.

"I expect him to practice (today)," Edwards said. "He's told you, he's not 100 percent. He had "big-time" surgery. You have to come back and he's ahead of schedule. For him to play last year the way his arm was, that's to his credit."

WR Laveranues Coles

pulled up lame near the end of practice yesterday afternoon (the lone full- squad session) and appeared to injure his right toe or foot. The extent of the injury is unknown. Coles walked gingerly off the practice field, though he took time to greet Edwards' pregnant wife, Lia.

Last season, Coles had an arthritic right big toe that nagged him all season. The Redskins wanted him to have surgery, but he refused, a disagreement that hastened his departure.

Edwards said

he's going to push his team hard in practice today. "We have to pick it up," he said. "They have to push themselves to the next level now."... K Mike Nugent continues to be impressive. "He's good," Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff said following a morning practice devoted to special teams. "He can onside kick. He's accurate. He's athletic. He's been very good and very pleasant to have around.

Jets G Dave Yovanovits

is sporting a mohawk. "This is the only job I'll have where I can get away with it," he joked.... Edwards invited a youth football team from New York City to run a play again his first-team defense. The youth squad fumbled the first snap and ran the ball on the second try. "It's good for football," Edwards said. "These kids will remember this the rest of their lives."... RB Curtis Martin talked Edwards out of resting him for a second straight day.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WR Laveranues Coles

pulled up lame near the end of practice yesterday afternoon (the lone full- squad session) and appeared to injure his right toe or foot. The extent of the injury is unknown. Coles walked gingerly off the practice field, though he took time to greet Edwards' pregnant wife, Lia.

Last season, Coles had an arthritic right big toe that nagged him all season. The Redskins wanted him to have surgery, but he refused, a disagreement that hastened his departure.

:shock:

I laid landscaping bricks for 4 hrs tonight. Those white goddesses of the night are my friends. :lol:

I had to get an endoscopy a few months back because I was puking up blood (damn vodka). Anyway, they gave me a few of those bad boys to get the camera into my esophagus. I was fyin' hiiiiiiiiiiigh. Whoooo! Guns, I'll give you $20 for two. Whattya say? :lol:

So where are all the "PennyBoy's arm will be stronger than ever after his surgery" people now?

If he is dramatically under-throwing 40 yard passes six weeks before the opener, the Jets are in HUGE trouble.

Jets should bench PennyBoy for the first half of the season and go with Fiedler.

Where is the supposed objectivity of the writer- some of his statements are certainly sounding a little biased thrown in with facts. I feel better with Fielder as the backup- he has proven himself in the NFL

i'm here tx............ listen, for clarity I never said his right arm would be stronger.

I am still confident his left arm is much stronger post surgery.

that report is not good news & does not bode well as we head into the season. I am not going to read into one practice too much, but it is definetly cause for concern for even us optimistic fans,along with coles' toe. I'll be pissed to find out we missed something at the time of the physical.

bad news in general but its still early

he seemed fine to me, he was zippin that ball all afternoon on sat. im not worried...

So where are all the "PennyBoy's arm will be stronger than ever after his surgery" people now?

If he is dramatically under-throwing 40 yard passes six weeks before the opener, the Jets are in HUGE trouble.

Jets should bench PennyBoy for the first half of the season and go with Fiedler.

Tx here is what you said:

Hutch told a different story. Simply saying that Chad underthrew a few balls and isn't 100% yet.

You know what? We know this already. So Hutch did not make anything up, he told the truth. The problem is that you twisted it and blew it out of proportion like you always do.

Did anyone actually think that Chad would have the arm strength of Vinnie Testeverde on the first time he throws for three days in a row after major arm surgery?

Chad should have bounced on into the stands like he joked he wanted to the other day, could you imagine the headlines?

like max said he under threw some balls big deal...second day of camp....TEX....im tellin ya , he looked good .im not bullsh*ttin ya ....he also over threw some too....but of course HUTCH isnt gonna say that.,,,lol...chad deffently has zip ..NOW if he continues to do this in PRE-season..then i'll worry...

sp, so the writer from the Star Ledger completely made up that story? :shock:

You guys are missing the point: They were 40 yarders. A high-school qb can throw it 40 yards without even putting any muscle behind it. That's a warm-up toss. Our QB cannot throw it 40 yards. :shock:

You don't believe that. Not for a second. He threw a 55 yarder to Moss in the playoffs with a broken wing.

Our QB cannot throw it 40 yards. :shock:

the key here is yet...

I heard an interview with Chad friday night driving home, he said he was worried about the future of his career, and has worked his butt off to be where he is now. Which is right on schedule. Chad will never throw the ball 75 yards, I just want him to make completions and let the recievers get the yards.

I'll bet the frst time he is challanged to throw deep in a real game this year (2 months away btw) he burns 'em deep.

This is post-op Chad. Big difference. If he was a pitcher they'd shelve him for 12 weeks in Tampa.

Yeah well he has been shelved for awhile. And all you haters said he wouldn't be ready for camp.

Rather than admit you were wrong you keep up with the hate.

BTW when are we going to see the post-op TomShane? As a pre-op your posts are getting stale.

Untie the knots from your panties gentlemen. This was all on DAY 3 of the effin camp. Chad is in the middle of a rehab and two months ago there was doubt if he would be able to anything this early in camp. A lot of strength can be gained in six weeks of rehab so take a couple of those Vicodin and chill (and don't listen to Tx's rabble rousing).

Yeah well he has been shelved for awhile. And all you haters said he wouldn't be ready for camp.

If he had his surgery right after the Buffalo game he would probably be 100% right now.

And BTW, why did he wait until after his fishing trip in February to have the surgery? :shock::shock::shock:

Dude, you really sound like you care... :roll:

Look at the span on the entire post surgical timeline. Look at when he began throwing activities. In that context, you should be able to see that six weeks is actually an eternity. if you can't, then you will just have to take my word, that six weeks is a very long time in this context.

I have gone through a handful of exhausting rehabs in my day. Six weeks is forever.

Remember, at this point, the injury is basically healed. He's just building arm strength. Could he play an NFL regular season today? Who knows. In six weeks, my money is on him playing.

Just look at the injuries that heal from start to finish in six weeks.

Pennington is on schedule. It doesn't mean that he can't suffer a setback or suffer a new injury, but to get concerned over a wobbly or under thrown ball at this point is not prudent.

If he had his surgery right after the Buffalo game he would probably be 100% right now.

And BTW, why did he wait until after his fishing trip in February to have the surgery? :shock::shock::shock:

Do you just not like the fact that he came back and played with something very QB's would and actually managed to win a playoff game and almost another? Everybody sucks Brady's cock for (possibly) playing with a freaking fever but Chad gets zero credit for playing 2 playoff games with a damn torn rotator cuff. Go piss up a flagpole.

I'm thoroughly confused!!?? I just read a claim from the oh so knowledgeable gameface on the site that has $55 worth of premium content that Chad is fine and thropwing the ball like superman. It was in the free section though. Hmmm...maybe that's their scheme, tell lies in the free section to confuse members, then tell them all the answers are in the premium section just one $55 click away. :roll:

Archived