NFP | Westhoff may return

rick34125

Damn that would be good. No offense to the new guy but it would be hard to replace Westhoff. Even if you did a great job, there would still be a drop off.

Interesting though, I hadn't heard this anywhere. I wonder how he is feeling.

This would be AWESOME! There was no-way they were ever going to replace Mike Westoff ,he is the best of the best Special Teams Coachs & I hope this also means he is recovering faster ,cause I have had the pleasure of meating & talking with him on a number of road games over the years & just a great all around guy,continued success in your recovery Mike.

I agree, Great move from a team stand point. But this is a total dick move to o'dea if true. This guy left the Bears and moved here after he was handpicked by Westoff. Hopefully they will make him an assistant if true. I was at camp at honestly O'dea works his ass off. He runs down field full speed with the kickoff team and is yelling the whole time. He stood out to me more than the 57 other coaches they had there. I just hope they treat this guy with some type of respect in the end if Mike does come back.

I wish Westoff were back but I cannot see this move done with 2 weeks before the regular season. This does not seem like the most reputable of sources.

Agree about the source, and I haven't seen this anywhere else, but I did read that he was at several practices, and looked pretty good.

I hope it's true

I agree, Great move from a team stand point. But this is a total dick move to o'dea if true. This guy left the Bears and moved here after he was handpicked by Westoff. Hopefully they will make him an assistant if true. I was at camp at honestly O'dea works his ass off. He runs down field full speed with the kickoff team and is yelling the whole time. He stood out to me more than the 57 other coaches they had there. I just hope they treat this guy with some type of respect in the end if Mike does come back.

Maybe it`s not a dick move ,maybe they were going to fire O`dea but since Mike hand picked him, mike agreed to come back if they wouldn`t fire him just a thought...

I would think a special teams coach could have a very limited role and still pay huge dividends. Just have him come to the morning or afternoon practices, get his work done and get home. Then come for the games but don't make him do all the prep work.

Give the guy any assistants he wants but get him in there coaching on a limited basis. We need this guy, field position is huge in a run oriented offense.

Maybe it`s not a dick move ,maybe they were going to fire O`dea but since Mike hand picked him, mike agreed to come back if they wouldn`t fire him just a thought...

This is the most likely scenario if Mike actually returns. With no guarantee on his long term health and ability to handle the demands of the job, having him come in and get things on track while acting as a guru/mentor makes sense.

I'm not sure about this, but doesn't Mike still have some status with the Jets. Some kind of advisory position. I don't think he actually retired.

If there is any truth to this, he could just kind of slip back as some kind of asst. HC kind of thing, with out having to fire O'dea.

So Nugent's missed FG's are getting O'Dea fired?

I don't think O'Dea will have to be fired the door was left open for this

Farewell for Mike Westhoff

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, December 31st 2007, 4:00 AM

Mike Westhoff was offered a chair to sit in, but as is his style, the special-teams coach insisted on standing tall for his last Jets press conference.

Sunday morning, Westhoff told the Jets that their game against the Chiefs would be his final one as Jets' special-teams coordinator. Just a week shy of his 60th birthday, Westhoff will undergo another extensive surgery in February to repair his left leg. Since being diagnosed with bone cancer in 1988, Westhoff has undergone eight surgeries on his leg.

"The graft that I have in my left leg keeps fracturing and it is not healing properly and they will replace it with a prosthetic rod," Westhoff said of the surgery that will take place on Feb. 7. "From my hip to my knee, it will be a total replacement. So it is a complex surgery that will take a lot of rehab time."

The Jets, who were moved by an emotional video tribute to Westhoff in the morning meeting that left players such as Kerry Rhodes in tears, sent their beloved special-teams leader off by defeating Herm Edwards' Chiefs, 13-10, on a game-winning 43-yard field goal in overtime by Mike Nugent.

Westhoff arguably was one of the Jets' greatest assets during a miserable season. Under his direction, the Jets' team MVP, Leon Washington, returned a team-record three kickoffs for touchdowns, including a pair of 98-yarders against Miami and the Giants.

Since Westhoff came aboard in 2001, the Jets have returned 10 kickoffs for touchdowns, more than any other team during that span.

"A lot of opposing coaches and players are happy about this," said linebacker David Bowens. "He was the heart and soul of our special teams. How fitting to win on a special-teams play."

Westhoff coached practices and games while walking on crutches after spending one game in the coaches' box upstairs. He has two metal plates, over 20 screws, 60-some staples and a bone from a cadaver in his leg.

At practices, Westhoff often could be seen screaming at his players to run special teams drills perfectly.

Under his direction, Chad Morton, Jonathan Carter, Jerricho Cotchery, Justin Miller and Washington all returned kickoffs for touchdowns. Miller was a Pro Bowl selection last season after he returned two kickoffs for 103 and 99 yards.

Westhoff said he isn't ready to announce his retirement, and Eric Mangini didn't rule out keeping the special-teams guru around in an advisory capacity. However, Westhoff said he definitely would not coach next season.

"I have to address this and have it taken care of correctly or the problem will linger and become worse," Westhoff said. "In essence, I need some time to get my life back."

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a load of **** to me. How the **** could the Jets be unsatisfied with O'Dea's performance at this point? A little premature, no? If they were why would they let anybody know? Somebody probably saw Westhoff hanging around a couple of practices and Lombardi decided to blog it up.

That would be great. Hey, true story, I was out a Jets trainng camp about two weeks ago and I saw Westhoff walking across the parking lot. I said hello to him and he just looked up at me.The man looked sad and miserable. He went over to the side bushes(by the road that leads into the complex) and was watching the Special Teams drills all alone. I thought is was very strange. Westhoff standing in the back bushes alone, looking very sad and watching practice. Hopefully, he will come back!!!!!!!!!

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a load of **** to me. How the **** could the Jets be unsatisfied with O'Dea's performance at this point? A little premature, no? If they were why would they let anybody know? Somebody probably saw Westhoff hanging around a couple of practices and Lombardi decided to blog it up.

I agree. serious discussions? I imagine the conversation to be quite short.

tanne- mike come back

answer#1 mike-ok

answer#2- mike- can't , still sick

That would be great. Hey, true story, I was out a Jets trainng camp about two weeks ago and I saw Westhoff walking across the parking lot. I said hello to him and he just looked up at me.The man looked sad and miserable. He went over to the side bushes(by the road that leads into the complex) and was watching the Special Teams drills all alone. I thought is was very strange. Westhoff standing in the back bushes alone, looking very sad and watching practice. Hopefully, he will come back!!!!!!!!!

128's name is Westhoff?

I agree. serious discussions? I imagine the conversation to be quite short.

tanne- mike come back

answer#1 mike-ok

answer#2- mike- can't , still sick

Right. Wanting Westhoff back is no insult to the current coach. It's like getting Brett Favre. If you can do it, you do it.

I think you are right this would not happen 2 weeks before the season starts. That said I would love to have him back. My prediction is Westoff becomes the Dolphags special teams coach in 2009

actually Mike Lombardi is pretty credible, when the whole favre fiasco started, it was he who got the Jets rumor started. he was right.

Mike has been around a long time, from the bill walsh niners days to the recent crappy raiders days. if he knows something, i'm inclined to believe him

Can anyone speak to the reliability of the Source. This is a lot of conversation, given the source of the article. We would all like Westoff back, hell he was the best but I think the story is a bunch of bull. This type of rumor mongering should occur during the middle of the offseason, not now.

Can anyone speak to the reliability of the Source. This is a lot of conversation, given the source of the article. We would all like Westoff back, hell he was the best but I think the story is a bunch of bull. This type of rumor mongering should occur during the middle of the offseason, not now.

See BroadwayJ's post above yours. Lombardi is a real football guy. The question for me is if he is using this blog as a place to float rumors. We all know Westhoff has been at camp, is he just guessing they are unhappy with O'Dea or does he have inside info?

STeams has not performed well in the first two regular season games. Bringing back Westoff would be excellent.

ST never performs well early in preseason. They are always changing combos and trying guys that won't be there in the regular season. Besides, they scored one TD in two games for Christ sake. Were Westhoff's teams averaging 8 TDs per season?

Archived