Vince Young story takes a turn for the worse

Larz

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

Fisher reached out to police because therapist said Young mentioned suicide

ESPN.com news services

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

9589.jpg Young

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.

"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report.

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.

this is sad.

no way his career ever recovers from this

I bet a lot of people get sued over patient confidentiality here

how the hell does a private conversation between a man and his therapist wind up on ESPN ?

I bet a lot of people get sued over patient confidentiality here

how the hell does a private conversation between a man and his therapist wind up on ESPN ?

Not sure about suing.

I am not in either the mental health or legal field, but I do know there are exceptions to the patient confidentiality rule if a therapist believes that harm is about to come to a person via their patient. If a patient says he's fixing to shoot someone, I believe therapists have to notify somebody.

So if Young's therapist thought he was about to harm himself, it is possible that she has the right or even obligation to notify the police. And if there is no rule requiring such information be shielded in the police report-well, that's how it gets out. And possibly nobody is exposed to a suit.

Sounds like a confused kid..Maybe stepping away from the game is the answer..He has been a huge star since he` was 13 or 14 from Texas HS football thru UT and now is struggling mightily at the highest level of the game..Getting booed by home fans must of been shocking to him after a lifetime of adoration..Vince should take care of Vince first and foremost.

I still think this entire thing is really fishy. Fisher said it was a misunderstanding, and VY pretty much stated he didn't think he had to tell his mother when he left. Yet now, after all of that happens, and after 2 days of silence, this stuff comes out? Why didn't this come out earlier then? Why do players even have therapists? Apparently they go around blabbing everything.

What's with the media's fascination with suicide? They tried to claim TO tried to kill himself last year. So I'm really skeptic on this one too.

That is pretty terrible that the doctor felt the need to leak this. On the other hand, I hope all of the $hitballs who were yucking it up feel real good about themselves right about now.

Aww poor millianire baby can't handle the pressure and is depressed. Boo ****ing who. I'm saddened by this rich pussies "hardships." **** him.

Aww poor millianire baby can't handle the pressure and is depressed. Boo ****ing who. I'm saddened by this rich pussies "hardships." **** him.

Nice bedside manner, Dr. Mengeles. :)

I am kidding. Actually, I kind of agree with you. I will not dump on the guy because we don't know all of the facts or his entire situation. But one thing is for sure. He has been spoiled rotten like all exceptional pro athletes and is now very rich. I'll save my sympathy for everyday people with real hardships.

I am kidding. Actually, I kind of agree with you. I will not dump on the guy because we don't know all of the facts or his entire situation. But one thing is for sure. He has been spoiled rotten like all exceptional pro athletes and is now very rich. I'll save my sympathy for everyday people with real hardships.

nommed-both of youse

I still think this entire thing is really fishy. Fisher said it was a misunderstanding, and VY pretty much stated he didn't think he had to tell his mother when he left. Yet now, after all of that happens, and after 2 days of silence, this stuff comes out? Why didn't this come out earlier then? Why do players even have therapists? Apparently they go around blabbing everything.

What's with the media's fascination with suicide? They tried to claim TO tried to kill himself last year. So I'm really skeptic on this one too.

the jackals in the media dug up the police report

I guess it's public information

the shame of this is players will think twice about getting help now

Not sure about suing.

I am not in either the mental health or legal field, but I do know there are exceptions to the patient confidentiality rule if a therapist believes that harm is about to come to a person via their patient. If a patient says he's fixing to shoot someone, I believe therapists have to notify somebody.

So if Young's therapist thought he was about to harm himself, it is possible that she has the right or even obligation to notify the police. And if there is no rule requiring such information be shielded in the police report-well, that's how it gets out. And possibly nobody is exposed to a suit.

yeah, you're right. I'd like to think the police report would be kept confidential on a legal need to know basis for attornies or judges though

you too.

you really think money changes anything?

if so, you are a sad sad human.

Yeah because money just miraculously makes everything better. People amaze me sometimes.

Never said that, but I'm supposed to feel bad for the guy? Like he is the only person in the world who is depressed. He's a bitch who can't deal with what little problems he has. He should man up and shut the **** up and be happy that he is playing a game for a million dollars. Lets have him switch places with someone fighting in Iraq and see how the little bitch handles that. Lets have him switch places with someone whose job was downsized because of a ****ty economy. Better yet, lets switch him with someone from a third world country whose children are dying of malnutrition and dehydration. Yeah, I'm supposed to feel bad for the guy because he got booed playing a game. **** that, **** him and **** you for actually feeling bad for him.

Never said that, but I'm supposed to feel bad for the guy? Like he is the only person in the world who is depressed. He's a bitch who can't deal with what little problems he has. He should man up and shut the **** up and be happy that he is playing a game for a million dollars. Lets have him switch places with someone fighting in Iraq and see how the little bitch handles that. Lets have him switch places with someone whose job was downsized because of a ****ty economy. Better yet, lets switch him with someone from a third world country whose children are dying of malnutrition and dehydration. Yeah, I'm supposed to feel bad for the guy because he got booed playing a game. **** that, **** him and **** you for actually feeling bad for him.

I'm sorry but you must be as dumb as a rock. Really. What the hell is wrong with you.

First, no one ever thought you should feel sorry for him, especially him. He just denies it, so in fact, he is doing what you want him to do, which is exactly THE WRONG thing to do. Much worse for him in the long run.

Second, do you really think money and a job changes things? IT DOESN'T. obviously.

You should be happy you don't have such problems, instead you are bitter because he doesn't enjoy playing a game that you wish you could. Get over it, not everyone even loves football.

You can't assume just becase he's rich that he shouldn't have problems. He may have some serious issues, issues that fame or money may not fix. It may not be simple as you make out.

You can't assume just because he's rich that he shouldn't have problems. He may have some serious issues, issues that fame or money may not fix. It may not be simple as you make out.

Everyone has problems, everyone single human being on the face of this planet has troubles and issues. MY point was that this guys problems are that he is a *****. Crying and whining on the bench and running away from home and threatening to kill himself because he got booed. He's acting like a bitch.

I'm sorry but you must be as dumb as a rock. Really. What the hell is wrong with you.

First, no one ever thought you should feel sorry for him, especially him. He just denies it, so in fact, he is doing what you want him to do, which is exactly THE WRONG thing to do. Much worse for him in the long run.

Second, do you really think money and a job changes things? IT DOESN'T. obviously.

You should be happy you don't have such problems, instead you are bitter because he doesn't enjoy playing a game that you wish you could. Get over it, not everyone even loves football.

Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I'd want to play football. I would not play the game for however many millions of dollars they would offer me to play a year(not that they are offering it) I'd want my life to have had greater significance and impact than just being famous as the dude who played a game for a living.

Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I'd want to play football. I would not play the game for however many millions of dollars they would offer me to play a year(not that they are offering it) I'd want my life to have had greater significance and impact than just being famous as the dude who played a game for a living.

Oh baloney.

You and the rest of us spend our Sunday afternoons watching the game or games, analyzing every aspect because we love it so much. There has to be a big, big part of us that is dying to play this game if we only had the talent, just as there is a part of us that would love to play guitar or sing, or write great books.

If we had the chance to do it, we would. We can do all sorts of significant and meaningful things after we've cashed all those millions of dollars of checks, (median salary for NFL player = $500,000).

Oh baloney.

You and the rest of us spend our Sunday afternoons watching the game or games, analyzing every aspect because we love it so much. There has to be a big, big part of us that is dying to play this game if we only had the talent, just as there is a part of us that would love to play guitar or sing, or write great books.

If we had the chance to do it, we would. We can do all sorts of significant and meaningful things after we've cashed all those millions of dollars of checks, (median salry for NFL player = $500,000).

I wouldn't play if I had the chance, it's not me. When I dream and fantasize about professions I fantasize about becoming an author like Dostoevsky or a Philosopher like Plato. Sometimes It's about me having kept up with boxing and becoming a boxer. But, never a football player. It's just not something I wold be interested in doing. I'd rather be the head coach if anything. I can fully understand if the dude doesn't want to play. Let him retire and becoming an analyst and more power to him for it. No need to whine and complain and act like a child.

I would just like to direct people's attention to the late Freddie Prinze, who came from nowhere to become a star on a very popular TV series, Chico & The Man. Dream job, early 20's, everything going for him. Kills himself.

So it happens.

really sad stuff, I would have said the same thing about him. No need to bitch out. Man up and deal with your problems.

I would just like to direct people's attention to the late Freddie Prinze, who came from nowhere to become a star on a very popular TV series, Chico & The Man. Dream job, early 20's, everything going for him. Kills himself.

So it happens.

Yeah, except he used his money to become a drug addict. Some people are victims of unfortunate circumstances. Some people make themselves tragedies.

Archived