Jets Sign Ty Law: MERGED

madmike1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i dont understand how it is a gamble at all. who says he is going to start anyways? he is just another able bodied player at a position where we could use mroe depth. nothing wrong with that.

Exactly.

I think the fact that it happened right before the Patsie game makes everyone think we are just going to throw him to the wolves the first game back.

I am sure he wont be playing every snap. This move if for the rest of the season. We have an extra long break after Thursday, perfect time for a new CB to get his feet underneath him.

Cimini is dumber than I thought if he thinks bringing in Ty Law is a risky move. He automatically makes this team and CB field better. He can teach more to Lowery than anyone else can to help him improve in 09 and beyond.

Let us not forget who Law's #1 pupil is (Darrelle Revis) and DR learned A LOT from Ty growing up and wears #24 to honor him.

Mangini doesn't trust his young DBs? They beat Chad Pennington, Kurt Warner, Trent Edwards and Marc Bulger, but he has to get Ty Law from the All You Can Eat Buffet because of Matt Hassel???

I still don't get it.

+1

Mangini has already lost Thursday's game in his mind.

There you have it folks, other than Revis this staff doesn't have the confidence in the young guys in big games. This is a huge gamble, but you can't blame them for not trying to fix the problem. Lowery will come around, but he's a rookie and I like what I've seen from him. Man, I hope this works out!

I have a lot of faith in Lowery. He was a late round pick that has done well. Not great. I can understand the move. A big game, for a big play db. I hope he is ready. Mentally I'm not worried about him at all.

+1

You are right. I really think Mangini is just trying to play some kind of dopey mind game with Belichick.

I hope we see Law about 10 plays and he does something to make me believe Mangini is a genius and all of you drinking the Kool-Aid are right. But my gut tells me we will see a lot more of Law, at least until he gets beat for a couple of TDs and loses the game, destroys the season and ends Favre's career.

Nice move, Eric.

You are right. I really think Mangini is just trying to play some kind of dopey mind game with Belichick.

I hope we see Law about 10 plays and he does something to make me believe Mangini is a genius and all of you drinking the Kool-Aid are right. But my gut tells me we will see a lot more of Law, at least until he gets beat for a couple of TDs and loses the game, destroys the season and ends Favre's career.

Nice move, Eric.

What bothers me is that this moves signals that Mangini did not believe the Jets were good enough to beat the Pats with the current makeup of the team.

The Fins smoked this team and they got beat by a banged up Colts team. They have Matt Cassel at QB and the Jets spent $114 million this offseason, and you don't think the Jets can beat the Pats straight up?

Belichik owns Mangini mentally and that is the Jets biggest problem going into this game. Mangini is almost reverential to them which undermines the whole "we can beat anybody" mantra that the team has committed to (and mentioned repeatedly in their interviews).

SMC

Relax....how can you say that Ty Law doesn't make the Jets better

How? That's easy:

1) Ty Law was washed up LAST year in 2007;

2) He has not played or practiced since December 2007;

3) He is not known as a "workout warrior" and, thus, is out of shape; and

4) Despite the claims by posters that Law "knows" the system, that doesn't seem possible since he has never played with the Jets under Mangini in Mangini/Sutton's current system with these sets of players.

I don't know how a 34 year old, washed up, out-of-shape CB improves the Jets.

What bothers me is that this moves signals that Mangini did not believe the Jets were good enough to beat the Pats with the current makeup of the team.

The Fins smoked this team and they got beat by a banged up Colts team. They have Matt Cassel at QB and the Jets spent $114 million this offseason, and you don't think the Jets can beat the Pats straight up?

Belichik owns Mangini mentally and that is the Jets biggest problem going into this game. Mangini is almost reverential to them which undermines the whole "we can beat anybody" mantra that the team has committed to (and mentioned repeatedly in their interviews).

you really need to calm down.

they didn't just sign him for this game, they signed him for the rest of the season. its not like we can't use more talented players. justin miller hasn't done anything this season, having a player of ty laws capacity, even somewhat diminished is alot better than miller on the sidelines.

just relax.

How? That's easy:

1) Ty Law was washed up LAST year in 2007;

2) He has not played or practiced since December 2007;

3) He is not known as a "workout warrior" and, thus, is out of shape; and

4) Despite the claims by posters that Law "knows" the system, that doesn't seem possible since he has never played with the Jets under Mangini in Mangini/Sutton's current system with these sets of players.

I don't know how a 34 year old, washed up, out-of-shape CB improves the Jets.

because he is taking the spot of justin "i have not done a thing all year" miller. he isn't replacing lowery, lowery is still on the team and will still have a large role. ty law was not signed to be some sort of savior. just another able body corner with experience who can play in a few different roles.

again, relax.

you really need to calm down.

they didn't just sign him for this game, they signed him for the rest of the season. its not like we can't use more talented players. justin miller hasn't done anything this season, having a player of ty laws capacity, even somewhat diminished is alot better than miller on the sidelines.

just relax.

Sorry, but I have no faith in Mangini's coaching ability or judgment (especially when it comes against the Pats, a team he's 1-5 against). He's still in a proving phase for me.

+1

I nominate this as CPOTW

"Clueless post of the Week"

Justin Miller isn't bouncing back from any injury so the Jets have moved on..They added a smart CB for minimal money..The guy wants to play and will play for a coach he respects PLUS he comes in with a huge chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone he can still play..I'm liking a motivated Ty Law.

and we care why?

again, how is justin miller, who hasn't done a single thing all year, better than ty law?

Did I ask you if you cared? Noooooooo.

Miller is a bum and it's good he's gone. But you and others are overlooking a simple fact:

Ty Law is NOT replacing Miller ON THE FIELD.

Law is only replacing Miller on the roster. On the field, Law is replacing Lowery/Poteat/Coleman/Elam because he's taking playing time away from all 4. Miller didn't play so, obviously, his playing time is not affected. But the players that have been playing will have their time on the field cut because of Law.

Is a washed up, out-of-shape 34 year old Ty Law better than Lowery/Poteat/Coleman/Elam? We'll soon find out.

I nominate this as CPOTW

"Clueless post of the Week"

Justin Miller isn't bouncing back from any injury so the Jets have moved on..They added a smart CB for minimal money..The guy wants to play and will play for a coach he respects PLUS he comes in with a huge chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone he can still play..I'm liking a motivated Ty Law.

Thank you, thank you. It's an honor just to be nominated.

Since the simple concept of Ty Law cutting into Lowery/Poteat/Coleman/Elam's playing time is beyond you, let me spell this out in all caps.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT MILLER! He is a nonfactor. He's not been on the field so cutting him is irrelevant, especially since he was going to be a UFA and not re-sign with the team.

What is relevant is that Law is being thrust onto this team and taking away playing time from players who, unlike Miller, have actually contributed.

And I don't know where you're getting this "huge chip on his shoulder" and "motivated" nonsense from. Ty Law was washed up in 2007 and how many job offers did he get in 2008? ZERO. Herm didn't even want him back for crying out loud.

I'll rather have a non-washed up Law that a motivated washed up Law anyday.

The bottom line is that if Law was halfway decent, he would not have had to wait until the 11th week of the season to sign with a team.

Guys, as everyone knows here, I hate Cimini and I think he's a moron.

However, he makes a point here. Law IS a huge gamble. Guys in that locker room did see how he acted in 2005. I know Herm was here, but it does show something about your character when you take advantage of that. Along with that, while he may be in GREAT shape physically, game shape is an entirely different thing and you can't get that unless you play in games. Since everyone else on the field would have 9 regular season games under their belt, it worries me that he'd be chucked into a game in 2 days.

Now, is it a bad play for the rest of the season? Probably not.... lower risk, but to play him Thursday is nuts.

Agreed.

During the morning sitdown I was just reading an article in the latest ESPN - The Rag. It's about locker rooms and how fragile the psyche can be and how important it is to have a good one..

I'm really concerned that Law will mess up what seems to be budding chemistry..

Yup, this defense has been beyond GREAT over the last two weeks. Just doesn't make sense to threaten this units progress.

I wanted to mull this signing over before I posted on the thread...

I think it's a good signing. I think it's hyped because of the timing, but more importantly this will serve as a great sign comes december. Law is a vet and will serve as a mentor to Revis which I personally think is awesome news.

Just makes this defense deeper, where is the problem in that? He's a ball hawk and if he can get some reps with Rhodes at safety are pass defense which is shaky at times will be that much better. Lowery is going to be good, but has struggled, naturally.

Law will bring even more vet leadership to this team, he's a playmaker and will make a play here that will be huge somewhere down the stretch.

Welcome back Ty!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...actices_1.html

Newest Jet Law practices

by Dave Hutchinson

Tuesday November 11, 2008, 1:01 PM

Just got my first look at Ty Law and I give him credit, he does appear to be in shape. Now whether he's in football shape remains to be seen.

In practice, Law received meaningful reps during the portion of practice opened to the media and he will play against the Patriots. He'll likely handle spot duty and check the outside receiver as oppose to the slot guy in nickel and/or dime packages.

Rookie Dwight Lowery will likely start opposite Darrelle Revis.

Again, I was shocked to learn this morning that the Jets whacked CB Justin Miller after my trusted source told me last night they would put Eric Smith on IR. But I heard Miller had become a problem child despite efforts by the Jets to bring him around. It's even money he could land in New England this week. You think?

Patriots coach Bill Belichick forged surprise when told during a conference call that Miller had been released.

``Thanks for the breaking news,'' he said. Yeah right, Bill.

Smith, by the way, didn't practice today and will miss his third straight game. ...

K Mike Nugent kicked during the media session of pracitce for the first time since his injury. It was hard to tell how he did because he was so far away. Veteran Jay Feely is expected to handle the kicking duties vs. the Patriots but Nugent is getting close.

Ty Law is NOT replacing Miller ON THE FIELD.

Law is only replacing Miller on the roster. On the field, Law is replacing Lowery/Poteat/Coleman/Elam because he's taking playing time away from all 4. Miller didn't play so, obviously, his playing time is not affected. But the players that have been playing will have their time on the field cut because of Law.

How about we wait and see exactly how much time Law will take away from these players? The fact is that we have absolutely no idea what type of role Law will take on with this team.

The bottom line is that we are replacing a player who has been completely ineffective since the end of 2006 with a player who is currently a question mark but may bring something to the table. We are undoubtedly lacking a veteran presence in our secondary.

This move is worth a shot IMO, and it shows that we are trying to make a serious push for a Superbowl this season.

from NewYorkJets.com

Law Relishes Opportunity to Re-Ty the Knot

Published: 11-11-08

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

His name's not Marty McFly, but Tyjuan Law — you can call him Ty — has gone back to the future with the Jets.

"Just watching the Jets play made me say, 'You know what? I need to be out there playing football.' Know what I mean?" said Law, the irrepressible professional defensive back who agreed in principle to a contract today to conduct his second tour of duty in the Green & White secondary.

"I was straddling the fence for a while and saying, 'Well, am I going to play? Am I not going to play?' To see the guys out there having fun, to see Brett Favre still out there — people call me old. If Bernard Hopkins can knock somebody out at 43, I sure can play at 34."

Age was a part of the patter this morning as Law, slowly upgrading his wardrobe from shower towel to Jets practice uniform as he talked, worked the growing media crowd in front of his locker before heading outside. It is true that Law is three years older now than when he left the Jets following his NFL-leading 10-interception 2005 season.

There are other differences, too. He won't be wearing his trademark No. 24 jersey, that number having been claimed and being made famous all over again by his "hometown buddy," Darrelle Revis.

But even that didn't faze Law as he lifted his new green jersey from his locker and slapped it.

"I'm not getting older, I'm getting younger," he said. "I went back to my No. 22 in college."

Law even looks different — not facially, where he still looks 24 instead of 34, but better, trimmer than he was at the end of that '05 season, before he left with Herm Edwards for two seasons in Kansas City.

"Every Sunday I'd be out there playing," he explained of his last few months out of the game. "I worked with a trainer during the week, and on Sunday I'd go out and try and simulate playing in a football game by myself. Then I'd go in and watch the games on TV. I'm in shape physically and mentally. I just have to go out there and physically hit somebody."

It Came Down to Pats, Browns ... and Jets

Law said he talked with Cleveland and New England in the off-season about coming back for his "final years" — asked how close he had come to re-signing with the Patriots, he held his thumb and forefinger a quarter of an inch apart.

But those arrangements never worked out, so Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini accommodated Law this week, putting him in that No. 22 uni and putting him through his paces today. The plan is to have Law play a role in the secondary, and to have him play that role as soon as Thursday night's national stage when the Jets go up against (how sweet it is) the Patriots.

Mangini, of course, was Law's secondary coach on the 2000-04 Pats. The coach said he likes Law's condition, and he's quite familiar with the player's outgoing nature: "This morning he went in there like he was running for mayor."

But Law's second stretch in green and white won't be judged by his electability or his Men's Fitness looks. Mangini wants the guy with the same drive to excel that he saw in the fall mornings during the first years of the new millennium.

"One of things I always liked about Ty," he said, "was on the days I'd be heading in early, he'd be heading out to do five miles of roadwork. When I was getting on the treadmill back in the day, he and Otis [smith] would be on the treadmills running, not at the speed I'd be running at — they'd be rolling. At practice, he'd run in between reps across the field. Fridays he'd be in the film room watching a lot of tape.

"I don't think people often see that other side of him. I've seen it for such a long time."

People may not see the side of Law that they were used to when he was starring for the Pats or picking off passes for the Jets. Mangini said that while "there's definitely a chance" that Law will play Thursday night, his job will not be as a starter but coming off the bench to play different corner spots — base, "star," "money" — or even at safety, helping to increase the versatility that the Jets backfield already has to some degree with Hank Poteat and David Barrett.

And this is OK, too, by Law, to a degree.

"I'm excited about it," he said of this new phase of his NFL career, now formally entering its 14th year. "It's harder to come in when you sign, you get to practice today and the next thing you know you're starting. Guys that have been here, they've built relationships with each other, they know what each other's going to do because they've played with each other.

"I've just got to get in where I fit in right now and I will play and eventually I'll probably be even more than just a role player. As a competitor, you always want to go out there and be one of the main guys, and that's the goal as well."

If not, said Law with a smile and a shrug, "I just want to help out as much as I can."

Picking Law's Brain

Perhaps he already started helping out his old team and new teammates before his first practice. Take his new locker in the Atlantic Health Training Center. Picture a clock face elongated at the 3 and the 9, with the entrance to the room at 6 o'clock. Law's position is at 2, in the locker formerly occupied by DL Kareem Brown, in between two young Jets — CB Dwight Lowery to the left, WR Chansi Stuckey to the right.

Lowery is the Jet perhaps most affected by Law's arrival, since the fourth-round rookie has scuffled lately. Despite having started all nine games at right corner, he has been replaced at times by Barrett the past two games. But he sees a huge upside to having a new next-door neighbor and position mate.

"Ty's played in the league for a long time," Lowery said. "Anytime you bring in a guy of that caliber, it can be nothing but a positive for the team. I'm a young guy and I just take it as something to learn from. I honestly feel this situation couldn't be any better for me and the Jets."

Stuckey feels the same way, and it has nothing to do with the second-year wide receiver getting a look at corner during training camp and in some preseason games.

"I definitely watched him and saw him play before. He's a very, very good corner. Obviously I'll get to see it up close now," he said. "I'll probably wait a couple of days until he's seen me practicing and then ask him a couple of questions.

"I'm going to pick his brain."

Law, with five Pro Bowl berths and 52 regular-season interceptions already under his belt, seems happy to have his brain picked. But it sounds as if the crafty codger will be happy to bait the Patriots into trying to pick his pocket in two nights.

"They call me old man — hell, throw at me. That's what any smart coach would do," he said. "I relish the opportunity and look forward to the challenge."

How about we wait and see exactly how much time Law will take away from these players? The fact is that we have absolutely no idea what type of role Law will take on with this team.

The bottom line is that we are replacing a player who has been completely ineffective since the end of 2006 with a player who is currently a question mark but may bring something to the table. We are undoubtedly lacking a veteran presence in our secondary.

This move is worth a shot IMO, and it shows that we are trying to make a serious push for a Superbowl this season.

After reading Hutch's blog right now and him saying Law looked in shape, made me feel better about the situation.

But again, Law IS NOT replacing "a player who has been completely ineffective since the end of 2006". Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? Miller has been inactive for 8 of 9 games. He doesn't sniff the field. Law is only taking his roster spot. The issue is whose playing time Law is going to take, playing time from players who have contributed such as Lowery, Poteat and Coleman. Law is better than Miller simply because Miller wasn't playing, but we don't know if, currently, he's better than Lowery, Poteat, and Coleman in the short term.

That said, I feel better about the situation that Law will be in the rotation rather than supplanting a contributor at the 11th hour.

Archived