Sources: Burress wounded in accidental shooting

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: November 29, 2008, 11:19 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday with a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

In September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined for a violation of team rules, reportedly failing to appear at a team meeting and being unavailable by phone. At the time, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants to a Super Bowl championship last season.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
question is will he get fined and suspended? He should in my eyes but the NFL loves giants so who knows

He should get suspended for being shot?

The only details we know from this story is that Burress got shot. He didn't shoot anybody. We don't know if he was handling a gun himself.

Just another story about an NFL player being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can only imagine how some people would feel about Joe Namath if he were playing today and partying like he did in the 60s.

:rl::rl::rl:

My dad told me about it when he walked in from work, this guy is a clown. I LOVE arguing with the Giant faithful that put him as an elite WR because I really believe is he's an overhyped and overrated player that disappears in big games. Between the grumblings in the locker room this is totally the icing to the cake.

The only details we know from this story is that Burress got shot. He didn't shoot anybody. We don't know if he was handling a gun himself.

Just another story about an NFL player being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can only imagine how some people would feel about Joe Namath if he were playing today and partying like he did in the 60s.

The idiot accidentaly shot himself, according to ESPN.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

it wasnt accidental. high profile players shouldnt be in clubs, ecspecially when they have miney and attract themselves with there expensive jewlery. another incident of a player being targeted.

Yep, wasn't accidental. Plax purposely went to the club to shoot himself. The shot must've hit him because of all the jewelry.

:rolleyes:

What happened to this guy?

Ego, ego and more ego. Remember him not showing up for team meetings and basically disrespecting the entire organization? I still cant believe the Giants signed him to that huge deal earlier this season.

Did the Giants really think he was going to change after getting the big bucks?

Giants WR Burress suffers accidental gunshot wound

1 hour, 48 minute

Related Video

75397271.jpgBest young QBs Best young QBs

Week 12: Our locks to win Jets-Titans showdown Fantasy: RB advice

More NFL Videos

By PA SportsTicker

New York Giants star wide receiver Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg Friday, according to multiple media reports.

Burress was hospitalized with gunshot injuries Friday night that were not believed to be life-threatening, FOX Sports.com reported Saturday.

A spokesman for the Giants on Saturday told PA SportsTicker that the team had no comment, although they acknowledged they are aware there was an incident.

Burress has not practice all week due to an ailing hamstring and already had been ruled out of Sunday

well, if the story holds up, then why the hell was he handling a gun in a club? I would assume since he is not in any of the very few types of business in NY that allow a carry permit that he doesn't have any legal reason or permit for carrying an handgun, and I would think the weapon was concealed if it made its way into a nightclub. I would say those some very good reasons for him to be arrested and/or suspended. You would think as adults that the players would know playing with guns like a thug in a movie is just not something you should do, but apparently that point is not so crystal clear for some so in that case I guess the NFL has to make examples of the stupid ones.

well, if the story holds up, then why the hell was he handling a gun in a club? I would think the weapon was concealed if it made its way into a nightclub. I would say those some very good reasons for him to be arrested and/or suspended.

There has to be a motive somewhere. Even if he had it concealed and just carried it around for protection, in order for him to shoot himself he had to have had it out and in a situation where it was going to be used.

Something isn't right here.

well, if the story holds up, then why the hell was he handling a gun in a club? I would assume since he is not in any of the very few types of business in NY that allow a carry permit that he doesn't have any legal reason or permit for carrying an handgun, and I would think the weapon was concealed if it made its way into a nightclub. I would say those some very good reasons for him to be arrested and/or suspended. You would think as adults that the players would know playing with guns like a thug in a movie is just not something you should do, but apparently that point is not so crystal clear for some so in that case I guess the NFL has to make examples of the stupid ones.

Does Plax live in New York State or New Jersey? According to this he could be in big trouble if, as joebaby stated, the story holds up.

Carrying:

A license to possess a handgun serves also as a license to carry unless restricted. If there are no restrictions written on the license, the licensee is permitted to carry a handgun, loaded or unloaded, concealed, on or about his person. An applicant for a license to carry must be required to show, in addition to the requirement for possession, that "proper cause exists" for the issuance of such a license; for example, for target shooting, hunting, or self-defense. The license can be amended to include one or more additional or different handguns. The licensee is required to carry the license on his person at all times when carrying a handgun. Possession of any "loaded" rifle or shotgun in a vehicle is illegal. A loaded handgun may be carried in a vehicle by a properly licensed individual. ("Loaded" means loaded in magazine or chamber. A loaded handgun means one for which the person possesses ammunition.)

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Plax lives in totowa NJ. I've actually pulled him over for speeding (can't say where or how fast--privacy laws and all) but he was an arrogant prick at the time. He should absolutely be arrested. carry permit or not (I,m guessing not). Not even cops are supposed to carry off-duty in drinking establishments, let alone take a gun out of its holster in public

Plax lives in totowa NJ. I've actually pulled him over for speeding (can't say where or how fast--privacy laws and all) but he was an arrogant prick at the time. He should absolutely be arrested. carry permit or not (I,m guessing not). Not even cops are supposed to carry off-duty in drinking establishments, let alone take a gun out of its holster in public

The NY State law is pretty cut and dry. Non residents can not carry a handgun in the State. I'm pretty sure Plax wasn't carrying a rifle or shotgun.

Will be interesting to see what happened. My hunch is that Plax will claim the gun wasn't his and one of his posse will take the wrap. Kind of like the Puff Daddy/P-Diddy, or whatever he calls himself nowadays, situation a few years ago.

There has to be a motive somewhere. Even if he had it concealed and just carried it around for protection, in order for him to shoot himself he had to have had it out and in a situation where it was going to be used.

Something isn't right here.

the retard was probably flashing it to his boys or some hood rat chick to try and impress them. Whats not right here is the level of stupidity in some grown men. Keep in mind, this dope just shot himself, it is quite easy to have accidentally shot an innocent bystander in the club.

Archived