Interesting Stuff on McAlister and Anderson; possible 2009 Jets?

piney

Some interesting tidbits on players who could help fill the Jets holes...

first McAlister:

Ravens can save $8 mil dumping McAlister

The Ravens reportedly have $20 million in salary-cap space before retaining any of their restricted and exclusive-rights free agents. If they cut cornerback Chris McAlister, it would free up an additional $8 million in cap space. -- Carroll County Times

If the Ravens are inclined to cut McAlister for cap space, how affordable would he be? With Rex here and our need for an upgrade at 2nd CB, it would be a dream scenario for The Jets. Any thought?

now Anderson:

Browns QB Derek Anderson to Jets?

If the Jets decide to trade for a quarterback, the most logical one is Cleveland's Derek Anderson. For starters, Anderson has the most attractive contractual situation of any veteran quarterback. He is due a $5 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year, which is about a month from now. He signed a three-year, $24.5 million deal last year and still has two seasons remaining on it. Beyond the contract are the relationships. Browns coach Eric Mangini and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum have enough of a relationship that the two men could work out a deal. Also, Jets coach Rex Ryan worked with Anderson in Baltimore before the Ravens released the QB. -- NFL Network

With the Jets need for a QB and his affordability, he could prove to be worth a shot. If Kellen Clemens proves he can't win the starters job in '09, then we may need some other options.

I know Anderson was a flash in the pan, but he still has some nice tools and in a competition in a new city could bring him back around. Any thoughts?

first McAlister:

now Anderson:

With the Jets need for a QB and his affordability, he could prove to be worth a shot. If Kellen Clemens proves he can't win the starters job in '09, then we may need some other options.

I know Anderson was a flash in the pan, but he still has some nice tools and in a competition in a new city could bring him back around. Any thoughts?

I was never too high on Anderson to begin with, so I may be biased on this. I thought he came into a very good situation, which he was given almost sole credit for. Joe Thomas played like a stud in his Rookie year, which didn't hurt have erich steinbach next to him as well as a resurgent Jamal Lewis.

I felt as though even given the amount of time he had in the pocket he was quite inaccurate. I was a sole believer that Braylon Edwards and K2 made him that year, and than did a 180 and basically ruined him this year. He has showed promise, but I just don't like him personally.

If he was brought in it would create quite the drama and nice little story. Him and kellen were big high school rivals and College rivals, Kellen playing for the Ducks and Anderson playing for the cross state rival Beavers.

Pass on both of these players. I see us passing on a QB in the draft also, unless Stafford falls to us. And that isn't going to happen. After looking at stats and mock drafts, because lets face it no one can watch every college game, I don't really see a franchise QB. Maybe we can get lucky and draft a franchise QB in the later rounds.

Put him in the camp that says Derek Anderson still has tremendous upside. But I don't think he is the ideal fit for what the Jets want to do. There will be plenty of QBs worse than him starting next season.

My concern for him with the Jets is his completion %. He has great size and a great arm. But to bring a guy in that has completed only 55% or so of his passes is a concern with the way this team is built.

Can he play in an offense like this? Not sure, but if he could adapt he would be worth a look. The Jets are going to be a running team, they need a QB completing 3rd and short.

Sign Leftwich to compete with Ainge Clemens and Ratliff

If Ratliff does not win job, ..Leftwich is better option than

Clemens and he is only 29.

If ratliff wins job, you have a better backup with Byron

Leftwich I could see. We don't have to give anything up for him and that would give us 4 qb's to compete for three spots. Leftwich did well for the steelers. What little we saw of him that is.

first McAlister:

now Anderson:

50% comp last year(over 200 att's) 60 QB rating. I say, NO.

Basically the worst QB in the league of the one's that played. Very inticing.....but, nah.

Put him in the camp that says Derek Anderson still has tremendous upside. But I don't think he is the ideal fit for what the Jets want to do. There will be plenty of QBs worse than him starting next season.

My concern for him with the Jets is his completion %. He has great size and a great arm. But to bring a guy in that has completed only 55% or so of his passes is a concern with the way this team is built.

Can he play in an offense like this? Not sure, but if he could adapt he would be worth a look. The Jets are going to be a running team, they need a QB completing 3rd and short.

I am in that camp with you.

If we could get him cheap and play him out with the rest of the boys, I am good.

Just don't bet the farm on him.

BZ

Damn...the jets QB situation is in the friggin' dumps...probly the worst QB roster in the league to be honest.

Except your own.

Chad 'post-season-choker' Pennington and a bunch of rookies who don't add up to a pile of ****.

Hope you enjoyed your 1 full successful season with Chad, because now you can see the other side (hurt and ineffective)

BZ

Damn...the jets QB situation is in the friggin' dumps...probly the worst QB roster in the league to be honest.

Exactly where yours was last year at this time and you were sent an angel, hey we can all believe in magic.

If Chad can find his way to the aqua and teal, anything's possible!

Except your own.

Chad 'post-season-choker' Pennington and a bunch of rookies who don't add up to a pile of ****.

Hope you enjoyed your 1 full successful season with Chad, because now you can see the other side (hurt and ineffective)

BZ

Wow...so you think your Qb situation is more settled than ours??? Seriously take off your fin hater shades and seriously answer that question. Runner up in MVP voting at sarting QB and a promising rookie QB behind him. Lets see what you got...5td 11 ints...good luck.

Exactly where yours was last year at this time and you were sent an angel, hey we can all believe in magic.

If Chad can find his way to the aqua and teal, anything's possible!

all i said right now the current situation is bad...didn't say it could not change. Theres no way you'll go into camp without a Veteran on your roster. But as of right now (today) it's the worst roster of QB's in the league IMO.

Let's not forget where you guys were before last year with your own situation. I mean come one you were going with John Beck, yuuuckkkk.

Yea it was terrible..John beck and Josh McCown battling for the starting spot...i was so looking forward to that training camp battle :rolleyes:. We lucked out with Pennington and his production this year and were able to draft the QB of our choice in Mr.Henne. I fully expect the Jets to bring in a Vet QB to compete with the other QB trash on your current roster.

Why would anyone think that Mangini is going to help the NY Jets?...would you?..Unless you give the Browns a bunch of draft picks and make it to juicy to walk away from WHY would Mangini EVER consider this

ANSWER: He wouldn't

if giving us Derek Anderson is helping, no thanks, you've done enough, eric.

first McAlister:

now Anderson:

no

Why would anyone think that Mangini is going to help the NY Jets?...would you?..Unless you give the Browns a bunch of draft picks and make it to juicy to walk away from WHY would Mangini EVER consider this

That would also require adjustments... which seals the deal... he certainly wont be adjusting anything for the JETS sake!

Not to point out the obvious, but his cap situation isn't very good and considering he's likely to be a backup next year.....he'll probably be a Free Agent once their attempts to trade him inevitably fail.

Derek Anderson is Kellen Clemens with a great offensive line and skill position players..

Anderson has a much stronger arm but that's about it. I really think the chances are slim that anybody other than Clemens is starting for us this season.

Pass on both of these players. I see us passing on a QB in the draft also, unless Stafford falls to us. And that isn't going to happen. After looking at stats and mock drafts, because lets face it no one can watch every college game, I don't really see a franchise QB. Maybe we can get lucky and draft a franchise QB in the later rounds.

Please tell me why. McAllister can still play I don't care what anyone says, Lowery? Are you kidding me. I'm tired of seeing him get burned.

Revis and CM would be a good for us. It's not perfect but it's good.

I was never too high on Anderson to begin with, so I may be biased on this. I thought he came into a very good situation, which he was given almost sole credit for. Joe Thomas played like a stud in his Rookie year, which didn't hurt have erich steinbach next to him as well as a resurgent Jamal Lewis.

I felt as though even given the amount of time he had in the pocket he was quite inaccurate. I was a sole believer that Braylon Edwards and K2 made him that year, and than did a 180 and basically ruined him this year. He has showed promise, but I just don't like him personally.

If he was brought in it would create quite the drama and nice little story. Him and kellen were big high school rivals and College rivals, Kellen playing for the Ducks and Anderson playing for the cross state rival Beavers.

+ 1

Anderson blows.

No on McCallister too.

I don't think Mangini harbors anywhere near the resentment towards the Jets for firing him that you do.

If the Jets go veteran who is signed on another team currently my 1A would be Derek Anderson. Young, strong arm and did very well in Cleveland before his receivers started dropping everything and the fans and organization (mostly the fans) pressured Crennell to play Quinn.

Last year Anderson was iffy, but that wasn't because of him. 2007 he was very, very good. He has the size and the arm strength and he will win elsewhere.

Archived