Who Should Be The Starting QB For The Albany Firebirds  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who Should Be The Starting QB For The Albany Firebirds

• Neal Sharma
    • Stephen Wasil
    • Sign A Free Agent

Florida Firecats Name Dolezel Offensive Coordinator

January 13, 2009 - arenafootball2 (af2) Florida Firecats

Estero, FL- The arenafootball2 (af2) Florida Firecats named Clint Dolezel as their Offensive Coordinator for the 2009 season today. Dolezel played 13 seasons in the Arena Football League (AFL), most recently with the Dallas Desperados where he served as both the starting quarterback and the team's offensive coordinator. He led Dallas to a 40-8 record over the past three seasons.

"I love the arena game," said Dolezel. "I've been calling my own plays since 2001 and this is a great opportunity for me to keep doing what I love. Florida seemed like the perfect fit."

Dolezel made a career out of setting records. He's the AFL's all-time leader in touchdown passes (931) and passing yards 44,559. He ranks second in career attempts (5,693) and completions (3751). In 2006, he became the first player in the AFL to toss over 100 touchdowns in a single season, finishing the year with 105. During the

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firebirds to host two upcoming open tryouts (Jan. 23, 24)

The Albany Firebirds announced today that the club will be holding two open tryouts for prospective players for the 2009 season. The first tryout will be held locally on Friday, January 23rd at the SportsPlex of Halfmoon (6 Corporate Drive, Halfmoon, NY 12065) and a second tryout will be held Saturday, January 24th at Morgan Park in Nashville, Tennessee (411 Hume Street, Nashville, TN 37208).

Registration for the Halfmoon tryout will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and the tryout will begin promptly at 11 a.m. All position players are welcome to attend with the exception of kickers. To pre-register, contact Albany Firebirds Head Coach Tony Bowick at 518-487-2219 or via e-mail at Tbow70@aol.com. The tryout will be held indoors on a synthetic surface, therefore individuals should bring appropriate clothing and shoes and a mouthpiece.

a highlight video

Adam Bednarik from West Virginia it looks like he has injury problems and he is an af2 rookie but he looks better then the other 2 qb's on the roster

Experienced quarterback hampered by injury since the 2005 campaign ... strong and big with good arm strength ... regained his comfort level this spring ... excellent knowledge of the offensive concepts ... missed 2006 season recovering from a shoulder injury ... one of two Mountaineer quarterbacks in 2005; 5-1 as a starter, he was the signalcaller for 50 series ... 14-21 passing for 104 yards at Syracuse ... also rushed for team-high 72 yards against the Orange ... 6-6 passing for 90 yards with a 27-yard TD to Darius Reynaud in the Wofford win ... also rushed for an 11-yard TD against Wofford ... left the Maryland game with a neck sprain ... 5-6 passing for 57 yards and 31 yards rushing against the Terps ... suffered knee bruise in East Carolina win; 10-12 passing for 116 yards and 22 rushing vs. the Pirates ... left Virginia Tech game in second quarter with shoulder stinger ... 9-10 passing for 78 yards at Rutgers with a 21-yard TD to Brandon Myles ... also rushed for 26 yards vs. Scarlet Knights ... left Louisville game in fourth quarter with right foot sprain; had been 8-16 passing for 60 yards with a 14-yard TD to Steve Slaton to that point ... missed the Connecticut game ... 9-yard completion to Vaughn Rivers in Cincinnati game ... offensive champion: Syracuse ... served as the No. 3 quarterback during 2004 ... saw spot action late in the East Carolina and James Madison games ... had shoulder surgery that December and did not participate in Gator Bowl practice ... did not see varsity action in 2003 but traveled as the Mountaineers

second cousin is NFL Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik

The name caught my eye. Although Bednarik was all over when I started following football, he was still mentioned by the press, (as he still occasionally is). Apparently the Lawrence Taylor of his day.

However, his day was quite a while ago. Helmets were made of leather when Chuck Bednarik played, and not every player cared to wear one, (I'm not making this up-people actually played football without helmets once). This QB is just a few years out of college and he's Chuck Bednarik's second cousin????

I would think he'd be far to young to be even the guy's son or nephew. I figured it was a tossup between being Chuck Bednarik's grandson/nephew or his great grandson/nephew.

What does second cousin mean, anyway? How can you be any kind of cousin across so many generations?

The name caught my eye. Although Bednarik was all over when I started following football, he was still mentioned by the press, (as he still occasionally is). Apparently the Lawrence Taylor of his day.

However, his day was quite a while ago. Helmets were made of leather when Chuck Bednarik played, and not every player cared to wear one, (I'm not making this up-people actually played football without helmets once). This QB is just a few years out of college and he's Chuck Bednarik's second cousin????

I would think he'd be far to young to be even the guy's son or nephew. I figured it was a tossup between being Chuck Bednarik's grandson/nephew or his great grandson/nephew.

What does second cousin mean, anyway? How can you be any kind of cousin across so many generations?

Concrete Charley.

The last 60 Minute Man. It was before my time too, but he's the guy running around calling today's players p*****s because they are so specialized. Well after players were divided offense/defense he took over for an injured LB and played both ways for the last Eagles team to win the championship in 1960. He played every minute of the title game against the Packers. I think he missed 2 or 3 games in a career of around 15 years. His hit on Gifford was one of the most brutal ever. I think Gifford missed more than a full season recovering. Find the video. Here's a still:

bednarik.jpg

The inscription says "This ****ing game is over. Sorry Frank"

Firebirds to host two upcoming open tryouts (Jan. 23, 24)

The Albany Firebirds announced today that the club will be holding two open tryouts for prospective players for the 2009 season. The first tryout will be held locally on Friday, January 23rd at the SportsPlex of Halfmoon (6 Corporate Drive, Halfmoon, NY 12065) and a second tryout will be held Saturday, January 24th at Morgan Park in Nashville, Tennessee (411 Hume Street, Nashville, TN 37208).

Registration for the Halfmoon tryout will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and the tryout will begin promptly at 11 a.m. All position players are welcome to attend with the exception of kickers. To pre-register, contact Albany Firebirds Head Coach Tony Bowick at 518-487-2219 or via e-mail at Tbow70@aol.com. The tryout will be held indoors on a synthetic surface, therefore individuals should bring appropriate clothing and shoes and a mouthpiece.

Sykes Signs with CFL's Roughriders

The 2008 af2 Defensive Player of the Year and the Green Bay Blizzard's all-time sack leader, Joe Sykes, has signed a multi-year deal with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

Sykes will join the three-time Grey Cup Champion Roughriders and a defense ranked second in passing yards against and total yards against during the 2008 season.

Joe Sykes anchored a Blizzard defense that ranked first in total defense (200.1 ypg), defensive pass efficiency (69.7), pass defense (178.7 ypg), sacks by (55) and second in scoring defense (38.1 ppg) and red zone defense (68.6%).

Sykes led the entire af2 in sacks (26.0), tackles for loss (28.5), and forced fumbles (8). In the playoffs, Sykes tied an af2 single-game sack record with 5.0 against the Lexington Horsemen. Sykes earned the af2 Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the year honors for his play with the Blizzard in 2008.

Prior to joining the Blizzard, Sykes signed as a free agent in 2006 with the Washington Redskins and was on the active roster for the majority of the season.

During his freshman and sophomore years at Holmes Community College in Mississippi, Sykes was a two-time NJCAA All-American at defensive end and won his junior college's regional championship. After his two years at Holmes CC and one year at West Virginia, Sykes then transferred for his senior season to Southern University where he played in 9 games, recording 53 tackles and 10.0 sacks.

Boise, Idaho - Following back-to-back 8-8 seasons with no playoff appearances, Boise's new head coach Brent Winter felt it was important to bring in an experienced quarterback to lead his team. The third year arenafootball2 franchise announced today that they have been assigned QB Tim Hicks by the af2 league office.

Hicks (6-5 and 250-pounds) from West Liberty State College, has spent the past six years playing arena football including the last two seasons with Coach Winter and the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League. In 2008, Hicks started six games for the Avengers completing 142 of 21 passes for 1,837 yards, 38 TD's and 8 INT's. He also had 15 rushes for 44 yards and a score.

Prior to playing in L.A., Hicks spent four seasons in the af2. The Rockwood, Tenn., native earned his ticket to the AFL while playing with the Quad City Steamwheelers in 2006. Hicks threw for 4,496 yards while completed 62.7 percent of his passes (357-569). He also threw for 79 TD and 15 interceptions in his last year in the af2, and says he is excited about re-uniting with coach Winter.

"I'm excited to come to Boise and play for coach Winter. With his experience, I have no doubt that he will bring a team that will compete for a championship," said Hicks. "Hopefully I can help bring that championship to the organization and to the city. Again, I am extremely excited for this opportunity."

Hicks and Thorson join Boise State alumni Taylor Tharp on the Burn QB depth chart.

Boise opens the 2009 campaign on Friday, March 27 at Tri-Cities. The Burn will host its West Division rival and defending National Conference Champion Spokane Shock for its home opener on Saturday, Apr. 18 at Qwest Arena. Season tickets are currently on sale. Call the front office at 208.383.0080 or check online at www.boiseburn.com for more information.

Yard Dawgz assigned former NFL lineman Kelly Butler

Courtesy: arenafootball2

NFL and Arena Football veteran, OL/DL Kelly Butler, was recently re-assigned to the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz for the upcoming season. Butler was a key component in the resurgence of the Yard Dawgz offense under Head Coach Sparky McEwen after signing midway through the 2008 season.

Butler (6-8, 317), a sixth round draft pick by the NFL

Firebirds Announce Six More Players For 2009 af2 Season

ALBANY, NY - The Albany Firebirds announced today that Reggie Paramoure (OL), Neal Sharma (QB) and Thomas Ascidiacono (WR/DB) have been assigned to the Firebirds by arenafootball2 for the 2009 season. Additionally, Albany announced that tryout-attendees John Leible (OL/DL), Ed Loscalzo (OL/DL) and Fuller Black (DB) have been assigned to the squad, i

Paramoure, 22, played for the University of Maine for four years (2004-2007) as a defensive tackle and saw action in all 11 games during each of his last three seasons with the Black Bears. The 6-2, 293-pound defensive lineman registered 26 tackles (11 solo), two sacks and one forced fumble in his senior season.

Sharma, 26, spent time last season with the af2's Iowa Barnstormers and also played in Louisville, Cincinnati, Laredo, and Bakersfield during his af2 career. The 6-3, 210 lbs quarterback played his college ball at C.W. Post in Brookville, NY.

"Sharma is a big quarterback with a strong arm who knows the game," said Albany Firebirds Head Coach and Director of Football Operations Tony Bowick. "Reggie has real good size and is a high motor guy on the line."

Arcidiacono, 22, had a record-setting four year career as a running back at Union College. The 6-0, 210-pound two-way threat holds Dutchman records for the most rushing yards (1,616) and touchdowns (20) in a single season (2005), and also holds career marks for rushing yards (4,915) and touchdowns (54).

The Firebirds held two successful open tryouts last week and announce the additions of recent graduates John Leible (SUNY Albany) and Ed Loscalzo (Iona), along with former Conquest player Fuller Black, to their training camp roster.

"When you hold an open tryout you have to be prepared to come up empty," said Bowick. "We were fortunate to get three good guys with a good chance of making this team."

The Albany Firebirds will begin their 2009 regular season schedule on March 27th at Mahoning Valley, while their first home game is set for April 10th against the Florida Firecats at the Times Union Center. Full and partial season ticket packages are now on sale; for more information please contact the Firebirds at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyfirebirds.com.

Archived