Elam to visit the Browns

MikeJetsWord

Again, From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4070

The Browns hosted restricted free agent S Abram Elam on Monday.

The Jets tendered Elam low and he was originally undrafted, so he wouldn't bring back compensation if the Browns signed him. Cleveland is likely looking at Elam as a potential starting strong safety after losing Sean Jones.

This one is actually interesting to me. I was always high on Elam and thought he was starting to come around. I would like to have him stick around to backup Leonhard and maybe even compete for the job. Some of his plays last year were game-changing, and his hits were always tough. I wonder if the jets would match the offer if the Browns give him a contract?

I'd imagine the Jets won't mind matching as long as the Browns don't suddenly decide to pay him starters money, which I just can't see happening. How much could they possibly think he's worth? In the case they decide he's worth that kind of money and the Browns are going to offer as much or more than what the Jets gave Leonhard, they can have him anyway.

I'd imagine the Jets won't mind matching as long as the Browns don't suddenly decide to pay him starters money, which I just can't see happening. How much could they possibly think he's worth? In the case they decide he's worth that kind of money and the Browns are going to offer as much or more than what the Jets gave Leonhard, they can have him anyway.

it says they would go after him as a starter because of losin sean jones. so im sure theyll give him starters money.

Good lord, the only thing Abram Elam had going for him is the fact that he wasn't as bad as Eric Smith...really. Relax guys. Decent rotational player and that's about it. This is what happens when you sign better players to fill starting roles. The bad teams that are in need of bodies then pursue them for the simple fact that they have starting experience.

Good lord, the only thing Abram Elam had going for him is the fact that he wasn't as bad as Eric Smith...really. Relax guys. Decent rotational player and that's about it. This is what happens when you sign better players to fill starting roles. The bad teams that are in need of bodies then pursue them for the simple fact that they have starting experience.

Haha, so sad but oh so true.

Regardless if they would want to let him compete or get a starting gig, I can't imagine any team thinking he's worth real starters money. I agree with your assessment and I figure if the Browns try to go cheap on him, what the hell, the Jets keep him. But if they think he's actual worth a decent buck then so long Elam. As long as we get someone other than just The Mad Tripper for safety depth its not that big of a deal.

Haha, so sad but oh so true.

Regardless if they would want to let him compete or get a starting gig, I can't imagine any team thinking he's worth real starters money. I agree with your assessment and I figure if the Browns try to go cheap on him, what the hell, the Jets keep him. But if they think he's actual worth a decent buck then so long Elam. As long as we get someone other than just The Mad Tripper for safety depth its not that big of a deal.

Bah, Rex has never really had a problem making sure the other safety slot's covered so long as he's had a good body next to his #1, as evident with his work with late rounders and UDFA's the past few years. If our biggest concern in the secondary going into April is the fact that the Backstreet Boy from Hell is backing up Leonhard and Rhodes PRE-draft...I'm OK with that.

A 4th? If, by some miracle, we were able to wrangle anything higher than a conditional 7th for Elam, I will personally let Max shoot me in the ass with a BB gun.

We have to get more than a 7th, Elam didn't play that bad last year.

Bah, Rex has never really had a problem making sure the other safety slot's covered so long as he's had a good body next to his #1, as evident with his work with late rounders and UDFA's the past few years. If our biggest concern in the secondary going into April is the fact that the Backstreet Boy from Hell is backing up Leonhard and Rhodes PRE-draft...I'm OK with that.

I LOL'ed.

Why not? He's a restricted free agent.

We gave him the low tender ($1.01M), which he has not signed yet. (I hardly blame Elam, as he has little chance of starting this season before becoming a UFA a year later.)

Assigning him the low tender means that if someone else signs him they have to give us a draft pick in the same round the player was drafted. Abram Elam was not drafted, so we would get nothing.

All we "get" is first refusal to match the Browns' contract. If he accepts a contract from the Browns and we match or exceed it, he has to sign that contract with us.

Again, From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4070

This one is actually interesting to me. I was always high on Elam and thought he was starting to come around. I would like to have him stick around to backup Leonhard and maybe even compete for the job. Some of his plays last year were game-changing, and his hits were always tough. I wonder if the jets would match the offer if the Browns give him a contract?

we get right of 1st refusal guys.

We gave him the low tender ($1.01M), which he has not signed yet. (I hardly blame Elam, as he has little chance of starting this season before becoming a UFA a year later.)

Assigning him the low tender means that if someone else signs him they have to give us a draft pick in the same round the player was drafted. Abram Elam was not drafted, so we would get nothing.

All we "get" is first refusal to match the Browns' contract. If he accepts a contract from the Browns and we match or exceed it, he has to sign that contract with us.

Why would we ever exceed it?

He gets his contract from the Browns. We match it to the letter, and he's ours otherwise he's theirs.

He gets his contract from the Browns. We match it to the letter, and he's ours otherwise he's theirs.

Well, they might have to come up with a larger basic contract if he's guaranteed the equivalent of the national debt provided he plays four or more games in joisey. :P But I don't know.

If he walks, he walks. We can find a reserve safety in the draft. He's inconsistent. I like him, but I wouldn't exactly be pissed if we lost him. If Cleveland is going to allow Mangini to make the Browns another Jets situation, so be it. Inconsistency all around.

Poteat, Elam. It is obvious what Mangini is doing. Bringing in guys who know how to play in his complicated prevent defense.

Close, but not quite. Mangenius is bringing in the players that are only worthy of being backups and third-stringers in this league, the ones that made his prevent defense so successful last year!

If we wanted to tack on an extra year for the league minimum $, then we would definitely exceed the Browns' offer.

Say Cleveland offers Elam 1 year at $1.3M. We decide to "exceed" that with $1.3M in 2009 and $400K (or whatever the vet minimum is) in 2010.

Now he's under contract for a low cap number in 2010, which Elam may have turned down as an original offer from us before we tagged him with the low RFA tender.

Frankly, if we're willing to match the Browns' offer, we'd be overtly myopic to not just add on 1 more year at the league minimum.

I think that's stupid. We should get something.

Archived