Who else is with me on the Bret Ratliff Bandwagon??1?!?!

Jets1Fan

Let's Choose, and tell why?

IMO, Ratliff, has more of a ceiling than Kellen, which also IMO is not to say that Kellen isn't capable of leading this offense. I just think that Ratliff has more potential to be a Franchise QB than does Kellen.

Thoughts.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's Choose, and tell why?

IMO, Ratliff, has more of a ceiling than Kellen, which also IMO is not to say that Kellen isn't capable of leading this offense. I just think that Ratliff has more potential to be a Franchise QB than does Kellen.

Thoughts.

I think Brett Ratliff has not thrown a single official NFL Pass.

I'm with you! sign me up! I'm all for Ratliff. Clemens had his shot and nothing he did made me think for one second he can be "THE GUY" everyone points to the baltimore game in the 4th quarter when they were playing prevent! that was the highlight of his career. let Ratliff have his shot. he looked good in preseason. he has the mechanics and seems to have the smarts a good QB needs.

With this Defense and running game he should be fine! and develop into a great QB. I believe it!

I think Brett Ratliff has not thrown a single official NFL Pass.

neither has ANY QB who EVER came out of college, including Sanchez.

No passes>crappy passes

and last I checked, preseason is played with NFL players, not Pac10 scrubs.

EVERY SINGLE QB who ever had success in this league never threw a pass in the NFL at one point. horrible argument.

i agree with this......!!!

I'm with you! sign me up! I'm all for Ratliff. Clemens had his shot and nothing he did made me think for one second he can be "THE GUY" everyone points to the baltimore game in the 4th quarter when they were playing prevent! that was the highlight of his career. let Ratliff have his shot. he looked good in preseason. he has the mechanics and seems to have the smarts a good QB needs.

With this Defense and running game he should be fine! and develop into a great QB. I believe it!

neither has ANY QB who EVER came out of college, including Sanchez.

No passes>crappy passes

and last I checked, preseason is played with NFL players, not Pac10 scrubs.

EVERY SINGLE QB who ever had success in this league never threw a pass in the NFL at one point. horrible argument.

If it were an argument as to why he couldn't be good, then yes, you'd be right.

Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, you've missed the boat completely.

The point is that the hype for him is completely unmerited. The guy threw a few nice deep balls in preseason and not a thing more.

There's absolutely nothing, besides blind hope, to think that he's anything more than the UDFA from Utah (if you're going to knock Sanchez for his competition, I don't think it was much worse than Ratliff's in college) who led his team to an impressive win over Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl in 2006. Ooooooooooooooooooooh.

There's really no one, outside of Jets Fans, who even know who he is, and yet some of these very Jets Fans expect him to be a franchise QB. Could it happen? Of course. Is there any reason to believe it will besides being a homer? Unfortunately no.

The point is that the hype for him is completely unmerited. The guy threw a few nice deep balls in preseason and not a thing more.

There's absolutely nothing, besides blind hope, to think that he's anything more than the UDFA from Utah (if you're going to knock Sanchez for his competition, I don't think it was much worse than Ratliff's in college) who led his team to an impressive win over Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl in 2006. Ooooooooooooooooooooh.

There's really no one, outside of Jets Fans, who even know who he is, and yet some of these very Jets Fans expect him to be a franchise QB. Could it happen? Of course. Is there any reason to believe it will besides being a homer? Unfortunately no.

Positive rep for EY.

So if i was here years back arguing that Tom Brady will be a good QB, I'd be missing the boat?

Playing lights out in NFL preseason trumps Utah, I think, too. all my opinion, of course.

What's more impressive, lights out vs. NFL 3rd stringers or playing well in the pac 10?

Ratliff is past college, Sanchez isn't.

So if i was here years back arguing that Tom Brady will be a good QB, I'd be missing the boat?

Playing lights out in NFL preseason trumps Utah, I think, too. all my opinion, of course.

What's more impressive, lights out vs. NFL 3rd stringers or playing well in the pac 10?

Ratliff is past college, Sanchez isn't.

Ha. The Tom Brady argument. How many Tom Brady like QBs are there in the history of the NFL? Seriously, how often does a guy who doesn't start in college, is an afterthought draft pick, step up and become one of the greatest QBs of all time?

And I'd take Sanchez performance in the Rose Bowl against Ratliff's preseason deep balls. Ratliff didn't really ever engineer drives. He had one good one if I remember correctly. He didn't play lights out, he connected with wide open receivers down field. Remember that awful pick when he tried to throw into coverage? Where does that factor in to your 'lights out' analysis.

Think about what you're saying with your 'Past College' comment. That would mean that any NFL GM would trade you a first round pick, if they needed a QB and Sanchez was available, because they'd rather have Ratliff, because he's 'past college' and played 'lights out' against 3rd stringers. Do you think any team poised to take Sanchez in the first round would trade you that pick for Ratliff? And if not, why not, on the basis of your argument?

It's great that you want to believe, and one day, your dreams may come true, but for now, you have nothing of substance to base it on. Tom Brady... :rl:

I just want to hear one piece of evidence--just one, that's all I ask--that justifies the widespread faith in Ratliff.

Before you even start, if your answer is "preseason performance," here are a couple of QBs and their respective preseason stats:

QB1 (2007 preseason): 30-41 (73.2%), 364 yards, 8.9 YPA, 9 TD, 4 INT

QB1 (2007 regular season): 130-250 (52%), 1529 yards, 6.1 YPA, 5 TD, 10 INT, 3-4 record as starter

QB2 (2008 preseason): 19-34 (55.9%), 165 yards, 4.9 YPA, 0 TD, 1 INT

QB2 (2008 regular season): 327-516 (63.4%), 3693 yards, 7.2 YPA, 21 TD, 11 INT, 11-5 record as starter

No points for guessing who's who.

Bottom line: the preseason means jack. I hope Ratliff turns out to be a franchise QB. I really do. Lord knows this franchise is due. But the odds are against it. Even if Ratliff beats out Clemens, that doesn't mean he's good, it just means he's better than Clemens.

Hopes are high for this QB competition, but I have a bad feeling it's going to turn into a "tallest midget" contest...

I like Ratliff a lot. I think he's a solid #2 guy who knows the system and has the physical tools to be excellent. unfortunately excellence is not a measurable. If potential and abilty alone were the marks of a great QB, the Browning Nagel debacle would never have happened. There is too much that is not known. Can he play from behind, does he have the confidence to take control of his squad, can he adjust on the fly and make the players around him rally. Does he make his recievers better? Can he handle getting hit? All unkown. As far as the playing against third stringers goes--that is nonsense. Either you can make the throw or you can't, it doesn't matter if its the Super Bowl or 11 on 11 drills. Ratliff can make the throws and hit his recievers in stride. He's shown ablity and even a bit of swagger. All indications are that he has what it takes to compete at a high level. But those are only the measurables. The rest is yet to be seen.

All I know is that, from what I saw last year, I'm excited about Ratliff and I want him to be given a fair shot to start this year. He's got the size at 6'4" and the big arm we need. Can he be our future QB going into 2009 ? I want to find out NOW.

I cannot wait for his epic failure in Training Camp & Preseason.

He will find his ass holding a clipboard or on the street.

Curious response from a Jets fan. You want him to fail ? Just so you can say "I told you so" ? Why all this Ratliff hate ? What has he done to make you hate him so much ? Your not being very logical with your rants but then again you're young. ::GoJets:

Curious response from a Jets fan. You want him to fail ? Just so you can say "I told you so" ? Why all this Ratliff hate ? What has he done to make you hate him so much ? Your not being very logical with your rants but then again you're young. ::GoJets:

No one wants the guy to fail.

Just sick of building up hype for someone who hasn't recorded a stat in the NFL yet. I'd love the guy to be the next Tom Brady, but I'd also love a million dollars.

i think if i hear one more"clemens had his chance and blew it",im gonna puke.what chance?i saw every start he had,and although i was not blown away,i was impressed.he played pretty well,imo,considering.

on the flip side,i think ratliff over rated on this board is understated.impressed with one pre season game,thought he was average on the others.not the next brady,or at least can tell from a couple of pre seasons.

kellen will be the starter,almost guaranteed,unless another qb gets signed to the roster.just the way i see it

Archived