Kellen Wins First Practice(According To Cimini)

greekjetsfan128

:rl:

Ratliff will never be a starting QB by winning anything in the NFL. The only way he ever starts in a real NFL games is because a QB is badly under performing or gets hurt.

We will see.

But it is interesting that Clowney's big play is assumed to be tainted by beating a presumably weaker CB, but the same play was Clemens big play of the day. Oh, the complexities of having agendas for and against different players instead of just rooting for everyone on your team.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We will see.

But it is interesting that Clowney's big play is assumed to be tainted by beating a presumably weaker CB, but the same play was Clemens big play of the day. Oh, the complexities of having agendas for and against different players instead of just rooting for everyone on your team.

Yes, you have clearly shown that you don't have the slightest "agenda" for Ratliff. Give me a break. :rl:

Wanna know Ratliff's biggest play? An INT while working against the 2nd team.

Get those 3rd stringers out there!!!

Yes, you have clearly shown that you don't have the slightest "agenda" for Ratliff. Give me a break. :rl:

Wanna know Ratliff's biggest play? An INT while working against the 2nd team.

Get those 3rd stringers out there!!!

Clemens dinked and dunked against the 1st team... whoopity doo...

How about we wait until they get some real time under center this season before we judge...

Clemens dinked and dunked against the 1st team... whoopity doo...

How about we wait until they get some real time under center this season before we judge...

Funny how you didn't seem to mind Chad doing that.

I have no problem with Kellen playing conservative, in fact that's what we need at QB this season IMO. Like I said earlier, a stronger armed version of a Chad Pennington would be pretty ****ing awesome for this team. A guy who will limit mistakes but also CAN make big plays when called upon. Ryan will not be looking for a QB who takes risks with the football and put pressure on the defense.

Clemens can dink and dunk all he wants. If he dinks and dunks his way to 11 wins with the running game and defense doing the hard work you sure as hell wont hear me complain.

Funny how you didn't seem to mind Chad doing that.

I have no problem with Kellen playing conservative, in fact that's what we need at QB this season IMO. Like I said earlier, a stronger armed version of a Chad Pennington would be pretty ****ing awesome for this team. A guy who will limit mistakes but also CAN make big plays when called upon. Ryan will not be looking for a QB who takes risks with the football and put pressure on the defense.

Clemens can dink and dunk all he wants. If he dinks and dunks his way to 11 wins with the running game and defense doing the hard work you sure as hell wont hear me complain.

Just pointing it out... not saying I dont like it... just saying it does nto make him an awesome QB...

Just pointing it out... not saying I dont like it... just saying it does nto make him an awesome QB...

If you're expecting to see an "awesome QB" play for the Jets withing the next 3-4 years (I could easily put in 30 years:face:) then I think you'll be sorely dissapointed.

Eight pages of discussion based on Rich Cimini's take on the first voluntary spring practice? This **** is not very meaningful.

I know, but it's the only genuine Jets football action out there to comment on.

Besides, there is a tendency for trends to emerge early in these competitions. For instance, it is widely assumed that Chad won last year's competition with Clemens before Favre showed up. But really, all that was based on Clemens having a bunch of interceptions early in training camp and Mangini commenting on it strongly. Clemens cut way down on the interceptions in later practices and the coach never really did say who was ahead in the competiton in the later going before Favre arrived.

I know, but it's the only genuine Jets football action out there to comment on.

Besides, there is a tendency for trends to emerge early in these competitions. For instance, it is widely assumed that Chad won last year's competition with Clemens before Favre showed up. But really, all that was based on Clemens having a bunch of interceptions early in training camp and Mangini commenting on it strongly. Clemens cut way down on the interceptions in later practices and the coach never really did say who was ahead in the competiton in the later going before Favre arrived.

I think Chad had Kellen beat last year no matter what...Bases on his veteran leadership ability and this year...I think it's going to be really hard for Ratliff to take over as the starter for the simple fact Kellen knows this Jets offense better than anyone else as of right now and if anything...After that 2007 season with No O-Line...I would think that Kellen really DOES deserve a 2nd chance behind a solid team.

While it is encouraging to see some good production coming from Clemens, I wouldn't put much stock into it at this point. The defense is in the early stages of learning a new system, and the offense is going on 4 years of continuity. I would be extremely worried if the offense wasn't putting up some decent numbers right now.

Also, let's face it, no pads and minimal contact gives the offense a huge advantage.

I think Chad had Kellen beat last year no matter what...Bases on his veteran leadership ability and this year...I think it's going to be really hard for Ratliff to take over as the starter for the simple fact Kellen knows this Jets offense better than anyone else as of right now and if anything...After that 2007 season with No O-Line...I would think that Kellen really DOES deserve a 2nd chance behind a solid team.

Yes he does but so does Ratliff. May the best QB win.

Who cares? Let the best man win. Give both a shot under equal circumstances. Go with who delivers the best results.

You nailed it right there. I don't care who starts, I just want whoever it is to be the best possible player for the Jets. As far as I'm concerned I hope all 3 Jets QBs come out and light it up all day, every day at practice.

I think Chad had Kellen beat last year no matter what...Bases on his veteran leadership ability.....

I wanted Chad to win and expected him to win, but looking back it was based on Clemens' interceptions early in the camp that set those expectations. After yet another interception-plagued practice early on, Mangini said something about interceptions would not be tolerated, and as Chad had almost no interceptions in camp we took it as a signal Chad was ahead-and he certainly was at that point.

But then Clemens threw fewer interceptions in the later practices, so later in the competition, who really knows who Mangini was going to pick? About the only thing we had to go on was that Mangini had not made any comments in favor of Clemens later in the competition to counterbalance the critical comments he had made earlier, so we all just assumed Chad remained ahead. But you must admit, that was all pretty sketchy evidence to go on.

We'll never know. But getting off to a good start early can frequently get you the starter's job, as the coach makes up his mind earlier than he expected to. I've seen that happen often.

You nailed it right there. I don't care who starts, I just want whoever it is to be the best possible player for the Jets. As far as I'm concerned I hope all 3 Jets QBs come out and light it up all day, every day at practice.

I have to admit my contrarian nature forces me to root for Clemens here, but yes ultimately I don't care who starts. I just want someone to win, rather then to win by default like the noodlearm always tried to do..

I have to admit my contrarian nature forces me to root for Clemens here, but yes ultimately I don't care who starts. I just want someone to win, rather then to win by default like the noodlearm always tried to do..

I actually do agree with that first part to an extent, but in the end I'm not going to be particularly upset or excited for one player over another. It all comes down to your second point, as long as someone actually STEPS UP and doesn't just let the other two players screw themselves out of the job, I'll be happy. It could be Brad Smith for all I give a crap.

I actually do agree with that first part to an extent, but in the end I'm not going to be particularly upset or excited for one player over another. It all comes down to your second point, as long as someone actually STEPS UP and doesn't just let the other two players screw themselves out of the job, I'll be happy. It could be Brad Smith for all I give a crap.

The Ratlifarians sorta remind me of the penningtologists in their unearned devotion..

The Ratlifarians sorta remind me of the penningtologists in their unearned devotion..

I think a lot of the Ratliffarians (great word) are former Chadosexuals and they don't love Ratliff so much as they hate Clemens for being the guy who threatened Chad's standing.

In other words, they are Anti-Clemites!!!

I think a lot of the Ratliffarians (great word) are former Chadosexuals and they don't love Ratliff so much as they hate Clemens for being the guy who threatened Chad's standing.

In other words, they are Anti-Clemites!!!

This is true. Doesn't explain Irish Jet though.. He must be a Jets fans...

Frankly, I think the Ratliff boosters tend to be more Chad haters who are taking it out on Clemens that he couldn't unseat their nemesis.

But then, you could spend a lifetime analyzing the various neuroses of the Chad hater. I haven't the time, so may the best QB win.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Based on the first practice, Kellen Clemens gets a slight edge over Brett Ratliff in the quarterback competition. Clemens didn't light it up, but he also didn't make any glaring mistakes. Ratliff, under pressure from a safety blitz, threw a wobbly sideline pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown by CB Tyron Brackenridge. It was an ugly play that showed his inexperience.

(Disclaimer: These are non-contact practices. Let's not get too crazy over these early sessions. I'll provide stats and details, but let's keep it in the proper perspective, please.)

In full-team drills, Clemens completed 3 of 4 passes for 16 yards. He worked with the first-team offense, facing primarily the first-team defense. Ratliff completed 2 of 4 for 43 yards, with the interception. He played with, and against, the backups.

In 7-on-7, Clemens: 5-for-8, 49 yards, Ratliff 6-for-12, 60 yards. (Note: Yardage totals are estimates.)

A medical update: DE Shaun Ellis (minor knee surgery), RG Brandon Moore (sports-hernia surgery) and TE Dustin Keller (flu-like symptoms) sat out the practice.

DL Kareem Brown (6-4, 295) is working at tight end. For a big man, he doesn't move that badly. He dropped a couple of balls, but that's to be expected.

"The routes look good," O.C. Brian Schottenheimer yelled to him. "We'll get the catching part down."

The Jets are woefully thin at tight end. Brandon Pettigrew of Oklahoma State, anyone? He's a possibility with the 17th pick.

During a special teams session, LB Vernon Gholston was chided by STC Mike Westhoff for pulling up before crashing into a blocking pad during a wedge-busting drill. (Yeah, I know, wedges aren't allowed anymore, but they had three tacklers running into three blockers, so we'll call it a wedge in this blog.) Anyway, the point is, Gholston isn't doing much to change the perception of him. But, hey, it's way early, so let's let it ride before we rip the guy.

At least three minicamp practices.

That's a joke.

Ryan is wonderfully candid. Two instances: He said he didn't know where to stand at the start of practice, so he jumped in with the defensive linemen (old habits die hard) and started running a drill. He also said that, while sitting in an offensive meeting yesterday, he was thinking to himself how out of place he felt.

He also said he wasn't going to discuss injuries. That, too, was a joke.

Take that, Man-genius.

I'll check in later with the afternoon practice report.

Start saving up the ticker tape. The parade for 3rd Place in the AFC East in Caldwell come next January will be one for the ages.

Not sure if you got the memo, but Rex Ryan can cure cancer. He's swaggerlicious.

I've been out of the loop. My bad.

But, how can you knock Rex? Every Ravens' defensive coordinator goes on to be a great NFL HC. Like Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan. :character42:

I got a little bit of that, too. That, and I think I'm getting a little too old to believe in fairy tale stories of a QB coming out of nowhere to lead the Jets to the Kingdom of Oz. I think I have a little more rooting interest in Clemens because I expect him to win the job.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who the head coach is of this team. It will be the same, sad ending at the end of it all.

I bet it is just AWESOME watching a game with you and TomShane. I'd probably off myself by the halftime show.

A lot of the as I call them "Same Old Jet Fans" sure spend a lot of time here. For guys who think there is no point in rooting for the team I don't get the effort spent talking about the team.

I bet it is just AWESOME watching a game with you and TomShane. I'd probably off myself by the halftime show.

A lot of the as I call them "Same Old Jet Fans" sure spend a lot of time here. For guys who think there is no point in rooting for the team I don't get the effort spent talking about the team.

The same reason some people watch autopsies. It's more of a hobby or curiosity at this point.

And watching a game with TomShane or I would be a great time. Just don't fall asleep.

Archived