Would you trade our #1 pick 29.

visajets

Would you trade our #1 pick 29 for Bethea?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you trade our #1 pick 29 for Bethea?

• Yes
    • No

By the time the JETS pick at 29 most of the projected instant starters will be gone. Bethea is only 25 and would improve this defense immediately. Draft picks are never a sure thing (Vernon Gholston) Trade the #1 for Bethea ---------:cheers:

By the time the JETS pick at 29 most of the projected instant starters will be gone. Bethea is only 25 and would improve this defense immediately. Draft picks are never a sure thing (Vernon Gholston) Trade the #1 for Bethea ---------:cheers:

he'll cost a ton more.

he'll cost a ton more.

Well right now we have a glaring need at safety. And it is an uncapped year. We cant sit back and allow other teams to bulk up while stay put with what we have. Rhodes being traded opened the door for someone else. Im sure of it.

Charlie Casserly called this draft the best crop since '83. I want the Jets drafting this year.

And as mentioned above, Bethea will cost a fortune, and there will almost certainly be a cap next year to contend with.

Bethea himself was a sixth round pick, and the Jets are looking to replace a fourth round pick. No reason to go crazy. Jets have other needs. There will be good safety prospects in the fourth and fifth rounds of this draft.

Although I did pause before I hit the button, NO.

Here's why.

1) With the possibility of a Jerry Hughes, Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Earl Thomas or a Dan Williams being there at 29. The Jets do have other holes to fill be it short or long term.

2) I like how Eric Smith really seemed to take strides and improve this year.

3) There is a really good crop of mid-round Safety prospects this year. BTW Bethea was a 6th, Melvin Bullit a UDFA, Rhodes a 4th himself etc.

Jets wouldn't've made the trade if they saw it as creating a glaring need.

The trade was like writing on the wall. Anyone who saw Kerry Rhodes here next year was fooled. Rex is a no nonsense type of guy who doesnt need or want prima donnas on his football team. Rex wanted an Ed Reed type of safety here all year. This team is built to win now.

The trade was like writing on the wall. Anyone who saw Kerry Rhodes here next year was fooled. Rex is a no nonsense type of guy who doesnt need or want prima donnas on his football team. Rex wanted an Ed Reed type of safety here all year. This team is built to win now.

So then Rhodes sucked last year, but we had the #1 defense despite him?

Again, don't see the FS spot as a "glaring hole." No reason to spend the #1 and a huge contract on an RFA safety. Jets have other needs.

If we intend on paying a safety big bucks why wouldn't we go for Atogwe and keep our first?

That may very well happen. Its just a poll to get feelings and opinions its not a life or death choice here. Geez Rhodes gets traded and everyone turns douchey.

Again, don't see the FS spot as a "glaring hole." No reason to spend the #1 and a huge contract on an RFA safety. Jets have other needs.

We did because we were fortunate to not play too many pass happy teams. The Colts exposed our weaknesses. Don't forget, the Chargers threw for 300 as well, but they didn't even try to run.

I would be more inclined to trade maybe a 2nd and 6th or something like that.

It would leave the 1st, 4th and 5th to get:

(in no order)

Edge rusher

WR

back up RB

However, if Dan Williams were to be there at 29 he would be intriguing.

I think the Jets begin to retool their OL next year.

We did because we were fortunate to not play too many pass happy teams. The Colts exposed our weaknesses. Don't forget, the Chargers threw for 300 as well, but they didn't even try to run.

Yeah. Not sure how Bethea helps against a team like the Colts or Chargers. He is great against the run/screens/underneath stuff but can struggle against the pass.

Again, he's really good...but not worth a 1st.

I would be more inclined to trade maybe a 2nd and 6th or something like that.

It would leave the 1st, 4th and 5th to get:

(in no order)

Edge rusher

WR

back up RB

However, if Dan Williams were to be there at 29 he would be intriguing.

I think the Jets begin to retool their OL next year.

Really don't see the Jets taking an edge rusher or a RB this year. With the addition of Cromartie, they just got a lot more comfortable blitzing the QB - and they were already really comfortable. They need a 3-4 DE more than anything else on this dee.

RB will be filled with a castoff, or an UDFA. They might need to take one in 2011 after they see they really have in Greene. Now's too early.

Really don't see the Jets taking an edge rusher or a RB this year. With the addition of Cromartie, they just got a lot more comfortable blitzing the QB - and they were already really comfortable. They need a 3-4 DE more than anything else on this dee.

RB will be filled with a castoff, or an UDFA. They might need to take one in 2011 after they see they really have in Greene. Now's too early.

Ooh, I think that the #2 back on this squad could be the biggest hole we have on this team right now for a couple reasons: 1. Greene is perpetually nicked up and 2. The Jets--you would think--are going to still try and run the ball a million times unless Sanchez all-of-a-sudden develops into Joe Montana this summer.

I think Jets fans are a little spoiled by having freakish, injury-avoiding workhorses like Jones and Curtis Martin here for so long. When your #1 back goes down and there's no reallly good #2 behind him, it could put your team in the dumpster. Countless examples of that over the years. IMO, if the Jets go into next season with Chauncey Washington as their #2, it's a huge mistake.

No... and I like the prospect of getting a young player who has shown he can play in this league, but no.

Too much talent in this draft.

Now, would I trade our #1 for Bethea + their 4th rounder? Yes.

Ooh, I think that the #2 back on this squad could be the biggest hole we have on this team right now for a couple reasons: 1. Greene is perpetually nicked up and 2. The Jets--you would think--are going to still try and run the ball a million times unless Sanchez all-of-a-sudden develops into Joe Montana this summer.

I think Jets fans are a little spoiled by having freakish, injury-avoiding workhorses like Jones and Curtis Martin here for so long. When your #1 back goes down and there's no reallly good #2 behind him, it could put your team in the dumpster. Countless examples of that over the years. IMO, if the Jets go into next season with Chauncey Washington as their #2, it's a huge mistake.

I agree that it's an important job, that's why I want Thomas Jones back!

I just don't want them spending a pick on one. They just spent three on Shonn Greene, they need to see how he looks as a starter for a year before they take another back. Between him and Leon, they really don't know what they need. Next year, they will.

I just don't want them spending a pick on one. They just spent three on Shonn Greene, they need to see how he looks as a starter for a year before they take another back. Between him and Leon, they really don't know what they need. Next year, they will.

Leon is a big IF. He suffered what many say could have been a career ending injury. How he responds is yet to be seen. As we speak Shonne Greene and Chauncey Washington are the RBs. Not at all good.

Good points. Maybe a LaDell Betts type? I just don't trust Greene being there for 16 games with a full-time workload. Super dicey.

I'm starting to materialize my positional draft "wish list" in my head in light of all these trades and deals. I hate to say it, because I really do want them to go find a slot receiver with their first rounder, but I think, like you said, that DE might become the #! draft priority with Douglas leaving. I'd imagine they want to keep using DeVito as a swing back-up, so obviously there's a huge hole in the front seven. DE also seems to be the safest pick at #29, considering what the mock drafts are pointing to as what will be available there in terms of offensive talent.

No man it is a glaring hole.... Eric Smith is not a starting FS in the NFL. Theres no way to prove he is. Maybe a SS but we already have that with Leonard. We need a FS real bad imo. I do beleive the JEts FO has a plan to fill the FS position because rhodes for a 4th and 7th isnt the best value they coulda got.

I can see this happening slats. It has crossed my mind. If so it looks like a WR in the first as a strong possibility. I don't see too many 3-4 DEs at 29. (Odrick or maybe Price?) Though there are a good amount to be had in later rounds. And it looks like Rex likes to find those diamonds in the rough. I also really like DeVito in that roll. Maybe not a budding star but he is still very solid.

The issue with Safeties it there are probably two worth a first: Berry who will be long gone and Thomas who will probably be gone. Mays we should just consider the wild card. The rest could most like all be there in the 2nd with still alot of options in the 4th.

A lot of available options here. I could see them just going BPA in the first and filling the need at S later on.

No man it is a glaring hole.... Eric Smith is not a starting FS in the NFL. Theres no way to prove he is. Maybe a SS but we already have that with Leonard. We need a FS real bad imo. I do beleive the JEts FO has a plan to fill the FS position because rhodes for a 4th and 7th isnt the best value they coulda got.

Jets really don't play their Safeties in a traditional FS/SS. You need a player that can do both cover and support the run. There are two prospects that can do both extremely well. Berry and Thomas who are probably both gone. After that I really like Major Wright as far as value. Kurt Coleman from OSU is underrated too.

Charlie Casserly called this draft the best crop since '83. I want the Jets drafting this year.

And as mentioned above, Bethea will cost a fortune, and there will almost certainly be a cap next year to contend with.

Bethea himself was a sixth round pick, and the Jets are looking to replace a fourth round pick. No reason to go crazy. Jets have other needs. There will be good safety prospects in the fourth and fifth rounds of this draft.

I think we can use Smith, who is a big hitter, and draft someone to eventually take over.

Jets really don't play their Safeties in a traditional FS/SS. You need a player that can do both cover and support the run. There are two prospects that can do both extremely well. Berry and Thomas who are probably both gone. After that I really like Major Wright as far as value. Kurt Coleman from OSU is underrated too.

734336.jpg

Most underrated safety in this draft...experienced, smart, led a top SEC D/secondary...I'm a huge fan of both Lewis and Chancellor. Lewis is basically this year's Rashad Johnson, but Johnson got talked about more in last years weaker draft.

I think the #2 RB is already on the team. This is the third time in a week that Tannenbaum has brought this guy up.

When asked if he jets were going to get a veteran RB, at his recent presser, Tannenbaum replied

“It just depends on when we think there’s the right opportunity. I think that’s something within reason for us. With that said, Chauncey Washington, although he doesn’t have a great reputation right now or not a lot is known about him, he’ll have a chance. He’s a good special teams player. He’s played in the kicking game. Mark Sanchez spoke really highly of him. The ultimate test to see if he was a good pass blocker was to just ask Sanchez. That’s the guy he’s protecting. Mark really felt good about him. Obviously, he’s not a household name, but I think Chauncey Washington has a good chance at making our roster. If and when we can, we’ll look at the running back position.”

Washington ran a 4.34 forty at his pro day. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Here is a video of his time at USC. Dude seems to have tone of power, good feet, and good vision. If he’s OK with Sanchez He’s OK with me

Coaches have been watching him for a few months now. Claimed him in December. Seems t have made an impresion

Archived