Shotty - 2010

NJ

I don't know who we replace him with - but much more often than not I don't like his play call. It was better in the play-off's I must admit, but what kind of horrific offense would we potentially have to display this coming season to get rid of him?

I don't know who we replace him with - but much more often than not I don't like his play call. It was better in the play-off's I must admit, but what kind of horrific offense would we potentially have to display this coming season to get rid of him?

No offense bro but after the Jets win the Super Bowl this season I don't see any reason that any coach should be let go.

No offense bro but after the Jets win the Super Bowl this season I don't see any reason that any coach should be let go.

And if the chains move effectively - I'm the first guy singing his praises.

I just don't want to be 7 games into the season with the offense constantly sputtering and have all the blame go toward the big receiver we didn't sign or the because LT's not hitting the holes quick enough when the reality is Shott doesn't know WTF he's doing. What do you guys think?

I feel like people stopped hating on Shotty when he started calling good games in the playoffs. I almost forgot how much I hated him as an offensive coordinator. I think he'll be here for quite some time.

the offense sort of turned a corner all at once, makes me think this guy had a little bit more to do with it than Schotty. I really do think rex took some of Schotty's play calling abilities away from him.

amd_callahan.jpg

--probably the most underrated coach on the staff.

the offense sort of turned a corner all at once, makes me think this guy had a little bit more to do with it than Schotty. I really do think rex took some of Schotty's play calling abilities away from him.

amd_callahan.jpg

Who is that? The OL coach Callahan?

Hopefully, with more weapons this year he can call a more unpredictable game and cut out most of the trick plays, and all of the reverses.

So you want him to be unpredictable but without using unpredictable plays?

Players improving improves coaching and playcalling perception.

Depends on which Schott you're referring to; Evil Schott or Good Schott. The Schott that I saw for the last 4.5 games of the season was Good Schott. The Schott that I saw for the other 14.5 games of the season was Evil Schott.

See, Evil Schott is really annoying. He runs these dumb plays and puts his QB's in a position to where they turn the ball over regularly. It could be Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Brett Favre...it really doesn't matter. He could have Jesus Christ himself under center and he'd still find a way to get him to turn the ball over. Which they do, often. He regularly tries double reverses and hands off on third down, and he goes 5-wide on 1st down with his rookie QB playing shotgun way, way too often.

But Good Schott, he's awesome. He manages the clock better than any coordinator in the game. He minimizes risk and keeps his adjustments reasonably within his QB's experience and capabilities. He sees which players can benefit the team most with fresh legs at the appropriate time and takes several carefully thought out chances throughout each game that at the same time minimize the risk of turnovers.

And make no mistake about it. Good Schott is awesome. He's a breath of fresh air and leaves Rex speechless after a game. But Evil Schott, man, I hate that guy, and he seems to really have Good Schott's number. Showed up throughout the entire season. The Jacksonville game, the Atlanta game, the 2nd New England game...etc. Yet Good Schott, man that guy was impressive. Was a key piece in getting us to the Conference Championship, and if he can keep Evil Schott from taking over this season, perhaps we can all keep ourselves from pulling our hair from our heads this year. The problem is he does a good enough job enough of the time so that a few dumb homers can have his back due to flashes of brilliance balanced with mental retardation rather than just consistently good performances. He's certainly got the brains for the latter but he sure as hell hasn't shown it yet, and anyone who can say he has with a straight face is just kidding themselves. Ball don't lie.

He definitely started calling better games down the stretch. One of the major problems I have with him is the fact he never runs ****ing screen passes. He used to do it in San Diego. Why not here? Leon Washington and now LT in space can be dangerous.

Depends on which Schott you're referring to; Evil Schott or Good Schott. The Schott that I saw for the last 4.5 games of the season was Good Schott. The Schott that I saw for the other 14.5 games of the season was Evil Schott.

See, Evil Schott is really annoying. He runs these dumb plays and puts his QB's in a position to where they turn the ball over regularly. It could be Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Brett Favre...it really doesn't matter. He could have Jesus Christ himself under center and he'd still find a way to get him to turn the ball over. Which they do, often. He regularly tries double reverses and hands off on third down, and he goes 5-wide on 1st down with his rookie QB playing shotgun way, way too often.

But Good Schott, he's awesome. He manages the clock better than any coordinator in the game. He minimizes risk and keeps his adjustments reasonably within his QB's experience and capabilities. He sees which players can benefit the team most with fresh legs at the appropriate time and takes several carefully thought out chances throughout each game that at the same time minimize the risk of turnovers.

And make no mistake about it. Good Schott is awesome. He's a breath of fresh air and leaves Rex speechless after a game. But Evil Schott, man, I hate that guy, and he seems to really have Good Schott's number. Showed up throughout the entire season. The Jacksonville game, the Atlanta game, the 2nd New England game...etc. Yet Good Schott, man that guy was impressive. Was a key piece in getting us to the Conference Championship, and if he can keep Evil Schott from taking over this season, perhaps we can all keep ourselves from pulling our hair from our heads this year. The problem is he does a good enough job enough of the time so that a few dumb homers can have his back due to flashes of brilliance balanced with mental retardation rather than just consistently good performances. He's certainly got the brains for the latter but he sure as hell hasn't shown it yet, and anyone who can say he has with a straight face is just kidding themselves. Ball don't lie.

Evil Schott = Schott calling plays

Good Schott = Callahan calling plays

just a theory. I follow your logic but i can't imagine a guy (schotty) got un-retarded just when the Jets needed him most. He has never shown signs of calling a good games until this latest run. I just can't believe Schotty all of a sudden had a revelation in how to call plays.

He definitely started calling better games down the stretch. One of the major problems I have with him is the fact he never runs ****ing screen passes. He used to do it in San Diego. Why not here? Leon Washington and now LT in space can be dangerous.

probably because Leon was hurt. TJ has no getup and Greene can't catch the ball.

You guys forgot the first 3 games? I think Callahan is the most overrated coach on the staff. The board wants to act like he caused this great resurgence, but I haven't heard anybody in the organization claim that he had any impact on the play calling. It's just conjecture. Mabye it's true, but there is no proof to my knowledge.

I don't expect much unpredictability with this offense. I expect the D to be even stronger and I am fully prepared to watch 3 yards and a cloud of dust for most of the season. If Sanchez improves I think everybody will be in love with Schotty, if he regresses it'll be another annoying year of the board calling for his head.

I really dont see tanny or rex wanting schotty gone, I think they'll keep him aslong as they can, but I dont think it will be to long befor a decent team calls him for a head coaching job, then we will all be missing him, our young QB will have to learn another system and prey to god we dont stumble across another Paul hackett!!

Nommed.

Couldn't have said it better.

I really dont see tanny or rex wanting schotty gone, I think they'll keep him aslong as they can, but I dont think it will be to long befor a decent team calls him for a head coaching job, then we will all be missing him, our young QB will have to learn another system and prey to god we dont stumble across another Paul hackett!!

No he won't. Rex isn't stupid.

Remember, Rex came from a Baltimore system where the team kept changing DCs and kept having the same success. Each one simply built off what the previous one installed.

If Schotty were to leave after this year, Callahan or Cavanaugh would most likely replace him and there would be plenty of continuity.

However, I am not so sure Schotty wants to be a head coach. He's turned down opportunities to interview. He's seen how badly his father was treated by management, especially in Washington and San Diego, and may not have the stomach for it.

For all we know, Schotty's longterm goals may be to be the Monty Kiffin of offense and stay with this team for a couple of decades as OC.

As long as the Good Schotty who ran the Jets offense over the last quarter of the season and the playoffs continues to show up on Sundays I'd be fine with that.

I'm not a fan or a critic of Shotty but I do think he has had one of the really crappy situations to be evaluated on in the NFL.

06 season the Jets didn't have a QB going into TC and had a QB competition where Pennington who couldn't throw outside the hash marks or up the field in 06 easily secured the starting job. The 06 team was loaded with mediocre talent and made the playoffs with a very good scheme on O.

O7 decimated OL bad running game and injuries to the starting QB.

O8 a QB competition followed by Favre coming in after TC and half way through the preseason. Thow out the playbook.

09 a rookie QB with another QB comp. in TC. A new WR brought in a few games into the season.

This will be the first off season where Shotty has the same starting QB returning and there won't be a QB comp. I still expect Sanchez to struggle and show growth in spurts not a straight line which is typical of the learning process. I expect our O to be better this year and much better next year if Sanchez stays healthy.

You can't judge an OC based on 4 different QB in 4 years with a QB competition and limited work in TC. Scheme and playcalling is still secondary to execution in the NFL. Great execution happens through repitition.

amd_callahan.jpg

The best way to get Callahan's stock to drop is for him to start calling the plays. Both coaches are in good positions to compliment each other.

nice post. schottenheimer is no doubt inconsistent and is often calling plays outside the flow of the game. like he has in mind to call certain plays in the game regardless.

I'm not a fan or a critic of Shotty but I do think he has had one of the really crappy situations to be evaluated on in the NFL.

06 season the Jets didn't have a QB going into TC and had a QB competition where Pennington who couldn't throw outside the hash marks or up the field in 06 easily secured the starting job. The 06 team was loaded with mediocre talent and made the playoffs with a very good scheme on O.

O8 a QB competition followed by Favre coming in after TC and half way through the preseason. Thow out the playbook.

09 a rookie QB with another QB comp. in TC. A new WR brought in a few games into the season.

This will be the first off season where Shotty has the same starting QB returning and there won't be a QB comp. I still expect Sanchez to struggle and show growth in spurts not a straight line which is typical of the learning process. I expect our O to be better this year and much better next year if Sanchez stays healthy.

You can't judge an OC based on 4 different QB in 4 years with a QB competition and limited work in TC. Scheme and playcalling is still secondary to execution in the NFL. Great execution happens through repitition.

This is my take as well.

Musical chairs at QB. Never had more than two decent WR's, and often had less. One dimensional RB's. Hard to be creative with the talent he's had to work with. Jets need a 3rd WR, a second TE, a FB who can catch, etc., to help their young QB open up the field more.

I was very impressed with Sanchez at the end of the year, and I'm sure they were, too. I expect much more passing this year. The Jets were the only team in the NFL with more yards on the ground than thru the air last year. That won't happen again. The 60/40 run pass ratio should move to 55/45 or less this season. Running plays last year could easily be replaced with throws to LT this year.

Schottenheimer can drive me mad at times, too, but I think he gets a worse rap around here than he deserves.

While we are all acting like Schottenheimer turned the corner at the end of the season, statistically it's kind of a crock.

1st quarter of the season 18.5 ppg 3-1

2nd quarter of the season 25.7 ppg 1-3

3rd quarter of the season 18 ppg 2-2

4th quarter of the season 24.75 ppg 3-1

Playoffs: 19.3 ppg 2-1

The three biggest yardage totals were in the first half of the season. The last quarter is skewed by the Colts and Bengals quitting and helped along by Smith's return which is the only ST TD I remember all year. The big difference is that down the stretch the only game where Sanchez **** the bed with the INTs was Atlanta. Schottenheimer may call a **** game, but it's still on the QB throwing those INTs into coverage. Maybe the QB maturing had more to do with it than Callahan?

Schottenheimer may call a **** game, but it's still on the QB throwing those INTs into coverage. Maybe the QB maturing had more to do with it than Callahan?

No doubt Sanchez maturing was a big factor Dom - I think they set him up to fail less too by not calling pass plays with all receivers clustered together at the end point of their routes.

No doubt Sanchez maturing was a big factor Dom - I think they set him up to fail less too by not calling pass plays with all receivers clustered together at the end point of their routes.

I honestly think those plays may have been designed specifically for his comfort level. I agree that I saw them and thought they sucked. Sanchez seems okay and looking at one WR and letting rip. He doesn't seem to scan the field too well just yet. Doesn't seem to go through his progression too well. I wonder if those plays were made so that he would only have to look at a smaller portion of the field. Could be a load of ****, but it's possible. Having a regular checkdown last resort (ie a back that doesn't have hands of stone) may be a huge help.

I honestly think those plays may have been designed specifically for his comfort level. I agree that I saw them and thought they sucked. Sanchez seems okay and looking at one WR and letting rip. He doesn't seem to scan the field too well just yet. Doesn't seem to go through his progression too well. I wonder if those plays were made so that he would only have to look at a smaller portion of the field. Could be a load of ****, but it's possible. Having a regular checkdown last resort (ie a back that doesn't have hands of stone) may be a huge help.

I never once thought about it that way - but now that you mention the possibility I think it's got legs. Why else would you intentionally herd all the DB's into the immediate area where your 1 & 2 and maybe 3 targets are?

My biggest Shotty gripe was why couldn't we call and execute quick slants and have guys open early in crossing routes? Every other team seemed to be able to pull these off - even and especially against us. These kinda calls in our last 3-4 games are what helped open things up in my opinion.

You guys forgot the first 3 games? I think Callahan is the most overrated coach on the staff. The board wants to act like he caused this great resurgence, but I haven't heard anybody in the organization claim that he had any impact on the play calling. It's just conjecture. Mabye it's true, but there is no proof to my knowledge.

Callahan installed a lot of zone blocking on the O-line and they had trouble adjusting early in the season. Once the line got in sync with those blocking sets, our running game took off. I would say that this had something to do with the playcalling.

Lose the end-arounds, pound the rock, no real high risk passing plays, what else do you need? Fact is, run it 35 times no matter what. Even good defenses are vulnerable when they are tired. I am not a Schott-guy. I give Callahan a lot of the credit for this because they rubn SOOOO effectively. But if he keeps it simple, runs it, no risk, then the stupid play calls will go away.

I feel like people stopped hating on Shotty when he started calling good games in the playoffs. I almost forgot how much I hated him as an offensive coordinator. I think he'll be here for quite some time.

The games he called a lot of conservative OC's could have called. When the execution is that good, you look like a genius. I am not taking credit away from him, just throwing a good deal of it Callahan's way. Anyone can succeed with a play action bomb when you are worried about being trampled.

I think you make some excellent points.

I do question some of his situational playcalling at times, and I'm not completely convinced he's a good coordinator, but i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in 2010 for all the points you stated so well.

What kinda crazy ass question is that?

So let me get this straight. Rather than wondering what it will take to get the Jets to the SB and win it, you want to know how f'd up the offense has to be to get Schotty fired???

Would you rather the Jets have a horric offense so Schotty can get canned?

Or would you rather have Sanchez play great and the Jets to win the SB and lived with Schotty for as long as he wants to be here?

Sanchez is the key to all this. If he plays well there's no way Schotty is getting fired.

Some Jet fans are hilarious.

So let me get this straight. Rather than wondering what it will take to get the Jets to the SB and win it, you want to know how f'd up the offense has to be to get Schotty fired???

Or would you rather have Sanchez play great and the Jets to win the SB and lived with Schotty for as long as he wants to be here?

Sanchez is the key to all this. If he plays well there's no way Schotty is getting fired.

Yeah, I don't get that mentality at all.

Schotty is the OC of this team. I want him to be the best damn OC in the NFL in 2010.

While we are all acting like Schottenheimer turned the corner at the end of the season, statistically it's kind of a crock.

1st quarter of the season 18.5 ppg 3-1

2nd quarter of the season 25.7 ppg 1-3

3rd quarter of the season 18 ppg 2-2

4th quarter of the season 24.75 ppg 3-1

Playoffs: 19.3 ppg 2-1

The three biggest yardage totals were in the first half of the season. The last quarter is skewed by the Colts and Bengals quitting and helped along by Smith's return which is the only ST TD I remember all year. The big difference is that down the stretch the only game where Sanchez **** the bed with the INTs was Atlanta. Schottenheimer may call a **** game, but it's still on the QB throwing those INTs into coverage. Maybe the QB maturing had more to do with it than Callahan?

Its not just about points. Minus the start of Charger's game, the Jets were able to sustain longer drives, even if they didn't net any points. A seven play drive that ends in a punt is far superior to a three and out, yet they yield the same amount of points on the score board.

This is why i don't think Schotty was calling all the plays at the end. Unless Ryan finally convinced him to acknowledge the defense was tops in the league, Schotty never wanted to lean on the D, he called bizarre plays that put the QB in some rough spots.

I really don't think a light just 'went on' with schott, I think he lost some play calling duties as the year progressed.

You're needing to get it straight or needing something but the question is based on the apparent fact that Brian Shottenheimer is OC for the 2010 New York Jets. That said, and given that I wasn't near alone in questioning his competency over the last 4 seasons, what level of bad would our offense have to be to change that. If he even needs to go away. How you get my desire for the Jets offense to suck so Shott can be fired out of that is your comprehension issue - not my question or intent. We can still have a fantastic season and not have a highly functioning offense.

Archived