Marshall signs extension..

hoping4ASuperBowl

and is now the highest paid receiver in NFL history.

Brandon Marshall and the Dolphins reached an agreement on a four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

Marshall signed his one-year tended worth $2.5 million on Tuesday, so it's essentially a five-year, $50 million deal. It's the kind of money Marshall was seeking all along and it makes him one of the highest paid receivers in NFL history. He doesn't give the Dolphins the deep threat they need, but he is a clear top-flight No. 1 receiver that will accelerate Chad Henne's learning curve. We're not expecting the move to result in a drop off in Marshall's numbers.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12168844637

and is now the highest paid receiver in NFL history.

Brandon Marshall and the Dolphins reached an agreement on a four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

Marshall signed his one-year tended worth $2.5 million on Tuesday, so it's essentially a five-year, $50 million deal. It's the kind of money Marshall was seeking all along and it makes him one of the highest paid receivers in NFL history. He doesn't give the Dolphins the deep threat they need, but he is a clear top-flight No. 1 receiver that will accelerate Chad Henne's learning curve. We're not expecting the move to result in a drop off in Marshall's numbers.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12168844637

We knew it was coming... glad he'll be around for a while. Should make for some exciting games over the next few years.

Also - glad the Jets didn't trade for him. We don't have that kind of cap room going forward and have to make serious commitments to too many FA's. Already gonna have to shed some talent after this year (assuming there is a season next year)

So the Jets got Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes for a 3rd and two 5ths, and get a full season out of both of them for peanuts while deciding whether they're worth signing long term or not...

While the fish spend two 2nd rounders on Marshall and immediately make him the highest paid WR in NFL history before ever seeing him play a down in their offense.

Gotta say, I prefer the way Tanny's doing business.

So the Jets got Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes for a 3rd and two 5ths, and get a full season out of both of them for peanuts while deciding whether they're worth signing long term or not...

While the fish spend two 2nd rounders on Marshall and immediately make him the highest paid WR in NFL history before ever seeing him play a down in their offense.

Gotta say, I prefer the way Tanny's doing business.

And THAT'S why I was against trading for Marshall.

Too much had to be invested in him (picks and guaranteed money) without performance.

PLUS, he's also in jeopardy of a multigame suspension having already been suspended before by the NFL.

Lmfao.

4 years - $47.5 million for MARSHALL??

Hahahahahahahahaha.

What are Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson worth now? AT LEAST 4 years - $60 million. AT LEAST.

Santonio and Braylon must be licking their chops. Which is fine, because they may well put up career years.

He is sure to become Ronnie Brown's favorite receiver.

Or Chad Henne. The QB who beat the Jets twice. (Cue Wildcat, Luck, and Ted Ginn response)

And you guys are funny. You talk about the Phins WR's being so horrible, then they acquire a Top 5 (maybe top 3) receiver in the NFL, and you find a way to knock that.

Seems reasonable.

I consider only Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to be better than Marshall.

EVERY contract signed by a big-time player is the "biggest at X position in NFL history". It's just the way things are nowadays.

Seems reasonable.

I consider only Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to be better than Marshall.

EVERY contract signed by a big-time player is the "biggest at X position in NFL history". It's just the way things are nowadays.

Exactly and i could care less about how much so and so player gets paid and all that stuff, i'm over it. You pay for what you get. I was laughing at the Jets because they were supposedly gonna be in cap hell just a couple of years ago. Well guess what, they accquired top tier players while my team sat back and made mediocre pick-ups.....but "oh we're so good in the cap" Over it. I want some top tier talent on my football. It's been nearly a decade since we've made an impactfull acquisition of this magnitude.

Okay, being serious here, I don't see Revis or Cromartie shutting down Marshall. But its a team game and the Jets can still beat the Fins. But I am truly grateful we don't have to see both Marshal and Soho on the field against us. Henne was great at the deep ball in college, it was prolly the best part of his game. If the Fins had Soho then the Jets would have to double Marshall and then watch Soho catch 1-2 long TDs a game. The Soho trade helped the Jets just be keeping him away from the competition.

Or Chad Henne. The QB who beat the Jets twice. (Cue Wildcat, Luck, and Ted Ginn response)

And you guys are funny. You talk about the Phins WR's being so horrible, then they acquire a Top 5 (maybe top 3) receiver in the NFL, and you find a way to knock that.

He's not a top 5 WR. Maybe he's top 10. Definitely not worth paying him the most money ever for a WR.

Either way, its a great signing for the Dolphags. It makes you better, how much better is yet to be seen.

I just hope he is the same bitch in Miami he was in Denver and all this money will go down the drain.

The bottom line is:

A. Brandon Marshall IS a top 5 WR in the NFL. No question. The guy is unreal. (and Revis is the number 1 corner in the league...)

B. The Dolphins have improved a huge amount from this one move.

C. The Santonio Holmes deal will go down as one of the great steals in history. There is NO RISK. None. No team in the NFL has a problem with a 5th round pick busting. It's probably expected at least 50% of the time if not more.

Which deal was better? The Jets deal, and that's not because I'm a Jets fan, it's simple logic. The Dolphins paid fair value, we got a steal. And that, is the bottom line.

PS I don't think it makes sense to bring up the character issue with BM in light of our acquisitions of Cromartie and Holmes. It's a possible risk, it's not the end of the world.

Expensive, but not unexpected. Iunno why anyone's still surprised by the size of contracts anymore. This is a very profitable league, and contracts have been flying up since Clements got his 80 million dollars from SF...or maybe since Manning got his 99...it happened at some point....actually if you think about it it had to be someone who got huge guaranteed money early in the draft.

Expensive, but not unexpected. Iunno why anyone's still surprised by the size of contracts anymore. This is a very profitable league, and contracts have been flying up since Clements got his 80 million dollars from SF...or maybe since Manning got his 99...it happened at some point....actually if you think about it it had to be someone who got huge guaranteed money early in the draft.

That's how I feel. It's like one player started all this mess. Imagine how it's going to be in a couple of years.

That's how I feel. It's like one player started all this mess. Imagine how it's going to be in a couple of years.

Well the main reason this ought to be a bit disturbing to Miami fans is that, just because there is no cap right now does not mean it won't return. And if the owners get their way, it will be LOWER than it has been in year past. So depending on the cap number teams will be able to spend in 2011 (or 2012 if there is a work stoppage), this giant contract could have some HUGE implications.

This may be one of the reasons the Jets haven't handed out any contract extensions to guys like Revis, Mangold, etc. We're waiting to see what is going to happen with the cap before going hog-wild and giving everyone what they want.

For now, its OK to have a few guys at the ends of their contracts, such as Braylon and Santonio. Their motiviation is ahead of them (to perform well in 2010), and if the cap drops, we can adjust accordingly to how much we spend.

Archived