Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?

rick34125

ESPN.com: AFC East

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?

By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

nfl_henne_sanchez1_576.jpg

Chad Henne and Mark Sanchez are on the rise but Henne might have the most potential.

It has come to my attention, via the Football Today podcast when Tim Graham was a guest, that there is much debate as to who is the second-best quarterback in the AFC East behind Tom Brady. Is it Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne? Tim and I debated it briefly on the podcast, but here are my more expansive thoughts on the subject.

Personally, I would take Henne. He wins by a landslide, actually. Granted, Henne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol Sanchez by a mile.

I was a fan of Henne at Michigan, and Michigan players themselves are some of my favorite prospects in recent years. He's just not as talented as Sanchez is...period.

Not even close.

I'd take this more serious if he didn't say landslide in the beginning and yet follow up all of Henne's pro's with stuff like 'Sanchez does pretty good in this aspect too...'

He said landslide to keep people interested.

This comparison is based on the idea that playing as a rookie and playing as a sophomore after sitting on the bench as a rookie are roughtly equivalent situations, and they aren't.

Henne had two training camps under his coach, Sanchez had one. Henne had a whole year to learn the system in practice, Sanchez had to try to learn it in a couple of months. Henne should have been way, way ahead of Sanchez last year, and he wasn't. Especially since Henne, though being selected in the second round, was given the automatic heir apparent position first rounders normally enjoy in his first training camp.

The writer also suffers from "arm strength

Wasn't Henne a senior when he came out? If so, he has 2 years more experience than Sanchez and he did look better than Sanchez last year. Henne looks be a real good QB, but I don't think you can compare them head to head on 1 season.

Wasn't Henne a senior when he came out? If so, he has 2 years more experience than Sanchez and he did look better than Sanchez last year. Henne looks be a real good QB, but I don't think you can compare them head to head on 1 season.

agree,,apples/oranges..

henne had a extra year on college field and a year watching on bench..

stupid article..

I actually talked to a Dolphins fan at work the other day who believes the Dolphins should name Pennington the starting QB now that he is coming back from injury. Doesn't like Henne at all and said he thinks Sanchez will be the next Brady. I agreed with him and preceeded to sell him a pair of shoes. Good times.

Henne didn't look too good the last part of the season. The Dolphins have made it clear they are not giving up on him yet, but if he starts off the season with a few bad games it is quite possible the Dolphins consider starting Pennington and drafting a new QB next year.

Then Pennington possibly remains the QB next year while the new man breaks in.

When Chad Henne ever wins a big game it will be the first time.

What, like beating the Tebow led Gators in a bowl game? How about leading the Phins to a victory against the Bucs last year with less than 2 minutes on the clock? How about 3, come from behind victories led by Henne?

Seems like it's Sanchez that can't win a big game (cough) choke against Colts. His 60 yards passing against the Bengals was quite the aerial assault :rolleyes:

Open question to all Jets fans. How many games in 09' did Sanchez throw the team on his back and drive the team downfield for a gamewinning score as time expiered, without relying on the run game or defense to do everything?

I actually talked to a Dolphins fan at work the other day who believes the Dolphins should name Pennington the starting QB now that he is coming back from injury. Doesn't like Henne at all and said he thinks Sanchez will be the next Brady. I agreed with him and preceeded to sell him a pair of shoes. Good times.

The Dolphins version of you. Every team has one, nobody's perfect.

Henne didn't look too good the last part of the season. The Dolphins have made it clear they are not giving up on him yet, but if he starts off the season with a few bad games it is quite possible the Dolphins consider starting Pennington and drafting a new QB next year.

Then Pennington possibly remains the QB next year while the new man breaks in.

You are wrong. To end the season, Henne had 3 of 4 games where he passed for 300+ yards. Our defense **** an egg to end the season, not Henne.

Chad really didnt have that much better of a season. They both had the same amount of TD's, just Mark as a rookie threw 6 more INT's. Its not like 12 and 14 is amazing for Henne. Though I'd probably take Henne's year over Sanchez. Though Sanchez really threw his picks in bunches.

Whats most important to look at is, Sanchez got better, Henne got worse.

Chad really didnt have that much better of a season. They both had the same amount of TD's, just Mark as a rookie threw 6 more INT's. Its not like 12 and 14 is amazing for Henne. Though I'd probably take Henne's year over Sanchez. Though Sanchez really threw his picks in bunches.

Whats most important to look at is, Sanchez got better, Henne got worse.

Not true. For the last 5 games of the Season Henne had QB ratings of

There's nothing there to suggest Henne was getting worse. In fact, it would look as though he was getting better.

Also, Sanchez only had 4 regular season games where he had over 200 yards passing and no 300 yard games. That's pathetic.

There's nothing there to suggest Henne was getting worse. In fact, it would look as though he was getting better.

Also, Sanchez only had 4 regular season games where he had over 200 yards passing and no 300 yard games. That's pathetic.

In 1973 during Fins great season, Griese had zero games over 300, zero games over 200, and MANY games UNDER 100.

Point is if you have a great defense like Fish did in 73 and Jets do now, you usually dont have big passing #s. QB manages the game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?qb=GrieBo00&yr=1973

In 1973 during Fins great season, Griese had zero games over 300, zero games over 200, and MANY games UNDER 100.

Point is if you have a great defense like Fish did in 73 and Jets do now, you usually dont have big passing #s. QB manages the game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?qb=GrieBo00&yr=1973

Different style of football back then too, but I see your point.

Just please, no more veiled comparison of Griese to Sanchez. ;)

This comparison is based on the idea that playing as a rookie and playing as a sophomore after sitting on the bench as a rookie are roughtly equivalent situations, and they aren't.

Henne had two training camps under his coach, Sanchez had one. Henne had a whole year to learn the system in practice, Sanchez had to try to learn it in a couple of months. Henne should have been way, way ahead of Sanchez last year, and he wasn't. Especially since Henne, though being selected in the second round, was given the automatic heir apparent position first rounders normally enjoy in his first training camp.

The writer also suffers from "arm strength

What, like beating the Tebow led Gators in a bowl game? How about leading the Phins to a victory against the Bucs last year with less than 2 minutes on the clock? How about 3, come from behind victories led by Henne?.

Serioulsy? The BUCS? The same team we MURDERED with Kellen Clemens? :rl:

And yes, wow, Henne was 1-7 against Ohio State and in Bowl Games. He won 1 bowl game. OMFG HE'S AWEZOMESSSSSSSSSSSSS

:rl:

That d'bag stole 2 National Championships from me and fellow Michigan fans while at Michigan. He's a bum.

One dude couldn't beat out Chad Pennington until he suffered an injury in his second year in the league, and relied mostly on the Wild Cat with two all pro RBs.

The other guy started right away and won his first 3 games, and had Thomas Jones to hand off to.

Sanchez by a country mile. Henne now has Brandon Marshall to throw to as well, but he loses Ronnie Brown. Let's see what the Dolphins can do.

One dude couldn't beat out Chad Pennington until he suffered an injury in his second year in the league, and relied mostly on the Wild Cat with two all pro RBs.

The other guy started right away and won his first 3 games, and had Thomas Jones to hand off to.

Sanchez by a country mile. Henne now has Brandon Marshall to throw to as well, but he loses Ronnie Brown. Let's see what the Dolphins can do.

We lost Ronnie Brown? Where did he go? What about Sanchez has you picking him by country mile? his 20 interceptions? It's completley ridiculous to say Sanchez is better than country mile or saying Henne is better by a wide margin.

QB rating is doodoo. He got worse...he started turning the ball over a lot more. In the last 3 games when you guys had a chance at the playoffs, he choked along with your defense. 3 straight losses to end the season. He threw 5 picks during that time frame.

Sanchez got better, Henne got worse.

And still, Henne had the better year...but if I had to take one player to start my franchise, I'd take Sanchez...you probably would too just wont admit it.

QB rating is doodoo. He got worse...he started turning the ball over a lot more. In the last 3 games when you guys had a chance at the playoffs, he choked along with your defense. 3 straight losses to end the season. He threw 5 picks during that time frame.

Sanchez got better, Henne got worse.

And still, Henne had the better year...but if I had to take one player to start my franchise, I'd take Sanchez...you probably would too just wont admit it.

BOOM!!!! That's it right their. You can throw up all the silly facts and comparisons. Henne played some good regular season games but folded like a lawn chair when I sit on it during crunch time to put his team into the playoffs. Sanchez had a sometimes great, sometimes horrible regular season,, BUT..

He proved that he is a CLUTCH QB. Thats more important than anything Henne has done.

Sanchez beat two very good teams in the playoff and lost to the second best team in the NFL in the AFC Championship. He's clutch, Henne is not. Clutch matters.

Archived