Revis and Crowmartie say throw it our way...

NIGHT STALKER

Chad Henne says Dolphins will be flinging it deep

Posted by Mike Florio on May 28, 2010 8:27 AM ET

In the first two years of the Bill Parcells era in Miami, the Dolphins have had a strong defense and a solid running game.

The passing game, in contrast, has been less than stellar, especially when it comes to throwing the ball down the field.

With receiver Brandon Marshall in the fold, that could be changing. Quarterback Chad Henne vows that it will.

"We're going to take chances down the field -- no doubt about it," Henne said Thursday, per our pal Joe Rose's blog at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "That's one of the things we implemented this offseason. We're definitely going to try to get some big plays."

The Dolphins have been lacking that chuck-it-deep-and-watch-them-run-under-it thrill for most of the decade since Dan Marino retired. Now that they have a strong-armed quarterback, a top-flight receiver who'll draw double teams on a consistent basis, and other pass-catchers who may be able to take advantage of single coverage, the long ball could be making a triumphant return to South Florida.

The passing game, in contrast, has been less than stellar, especially when it comes to throwing the ball down the field.

With receiver Brandon Marshall in the fold, that could be changing. Quarterback Chad Henne vows that it will.

"We're going to take chances down the field -- no doubt about it," Henne said Thursday, per our pal Joe Rose's blog at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "That's one of the things we implemented this offseason. We're definitely going to try to get some big plays."

Yeah, Brandon Marshall and his career 12.3 ypc is really gonna open things up downfield for the mighty fish.

I think people are overrating Chad Henne. He didn't finish off the season like you would expect.

Throwing int's in his last six games for a total of ten over that period of time -mostly while his team's playoff hopes were on the line- isn't what you expected? It was right in line with my expectations.

Throw it deep to who? Where did this myth that Marshall was a deep threat come from? The funny thing is, of all freakin' people, as much of a punchline as the guy may have been, Ginn was by far their best deep threat and now he's going. Will they throw more? Sure, but thinking they are going to do it downfield to Marshall is just not a likely scenario.

Throw it deep to who? Where did this myth that Marshall was a deep threat come from? The funny thing is, of all freakin' people, as much of a punchline as the guy may have been, Ginn was by far their best deep threat and now he's going. Will they throw more? Sure, but thinking they are going to do it downfield to Marshall is just not a likely scenario.

Thank you.

Marshall is Keyshawn Johnson V.2. He ain't Randy Moss by any stretch of the imagination.

Marshall hate is a bit excessive.

Wasn't long ago many people here wanted him.

He'll be good, but the Jets have Revis, and there are a lot of good WRs in this league who didn't matter because of that.

The only thing that worries me is how well other teams will cover him.

Henne is a good QB. Replacing Ted Ginn Jr. with Brandon Marshall is a definite upgrade for Miami. Marshall is not nearly as fast, but is way bigger, and has much better hands. I think the Fins will run fewer plays from the Wildcat this season (they only ran about 16% of offensive snaps from the Wildcat last season), with a better passing game, and because Pat White has been basically a dud.

Henne and his receivers still have to get by the Jets' secondary, however. That secondary is likely to be the best in the division... maybe the best in the AFC.

Marshall is a posession WR and a huge threat in the red zone, he is in no way a deep threat . Braylon Edwards can do both as can Randy Moss . The Biggest Difference between the three mentioned WR's is that Marshall is a very aggressive player who will catch a ball with 2 guys in his face while getting hit, Moss wont because one pop in the mouth and Moss = Puzzy. Edwards can but not as often as Marshall can since thats Marshalls bread and butter.

I still think Marshall would have been a better fit here (than Santonio) with our type of offense but I think ultimately the money situation stopped a deal from happening.

The Dolphins will have a tough time scoring points on the Jets this year as will most teams on our schedule. The Dolphins played unconscious vs the Jets in the first game last year everything they did worked, even though we were all over them in coverage. Its was just one of those freak things when everything seems to work. I expect us to destroy the Fins this year .

Marshall hate is a bit excessive.

Wasn't long ago many people here wanted him.

He'll be good, but the Jets have Revis, and there are a lot of good WRs in this league who didn't matter because of that.

+1

I remember when the majority was drooling to get this guy, now he's Keyshawn Johnson V2.0 lol.

Marshall is a f'ing BEAST and the bottomline is that the Dolphins are very scary when in the Wildcat formation with Marshall on the field, shyte even in standard formations. We tend to talk alot of smack because we have a CB that I believe will go down as the best CB to ever do it when its all said and done, but if it wasnt for that I'd be pretty worried.

I can seriously see the Patriots in 3rd place in the division.

+1

I remember when the majority was drooling to get this guy, now he's Keyshawn Johnson V2.0 lol.

Marshall is a f'ing BEAST and the bottomline is that the Dolphins are very scary when in the Wildcat formation with Marshall on the field, shyte even in standard formations. We tend to talk alot of smack because we have a CB that I believe will go down as the best CB to ever do it when its all said and done, but if it wasnt for that I'd be pretty worried.

I can seriously see the Patriots in 3rd place in the division.

Got to love the voice of reason.

1+++

Do you now? How about the fin fans that would bash Pennington when he was a Jet and then when you guys picked him up, he was the second coming.

Gotcha!

You didn't really 'get me' as much as you made my point. Once you get past the homerism of disliking someone because they play for the opposing team you are left with 'the voice of reason'.

You didn't really 'get me' as much as you made my point. Once you get past the homerism of disliking someone because they play for the opposing team you are left with 'the voice of reason'.

I still don't see anyone here claiming Jason Taylor as the "second coming" or anything remotely close to it. I, for one, still don't like the guy much and think he's an azz but I am looking forward to seeing him help this defense with his pass rush. It won't be easy seeing him in green and white, but I will be rooting for him on Sundays, and against him Mon-Sat.

Would love to see his azz get outplayed by and eventually benched by someone like Jamal Westermann...

I still don't see anyone here claiming Jason Taylor as the "second coming" or anything remotely close to it. I, for one, still don't like the guy much and think he's an azz but I am looking forward to seeing him help this defense with his pass rush. It won't be easy seeing him in green and white, but I will be rooting for him on Sundays, and against him Mon-Sat.

Would love to see his azz get outplayed by and eventually benched by someone like Jamal Westermann...

Again I don't see how this has anything to do with me calling villain the foe the voice of reason for his post.

There's being a good player and there's being a guy who can make a bad team good. Marshall and Dansby are the kind of players that can turn a team around. I think Marshall is a better deep threat than people are saying on this thread. And even if he isn't getting double teamed will open up the deep routes on the other side of the field. The only real problem with signing Marshall is that Florida isn't the best place to send people with behavioral problems.

LOL...good one on switching your point to make yours.

I think people are overrating Chad Henne. He didn't finish off the season like you would expect.

Understatement. Three L's to end the season.

Henne couldn't even beat out Chad "noodle arm" Pennington last year.

This will be a great season - Dolphins will be battling w/Buffalo for last place. They'll have 6 wins at most.

Parcells will bail and the Fins will be collapse in 2011 and be basement dwellers for the next 4 to 5 years.

Meanwhile the Jets will kick some N.E. ass and easily win the division.

LOL...good one on switching your point to make yours.

Lol.

To further clarify my point let me give you a perfect example of 'homerism'.

This will be a great season - Dolphins will be battling w/Buffalo for last place. They'll have 6 wins at most.

Parcells will bail and the Fins will be collapse in 2011 and be basement dwellers for the next 4 to 5 years.

:roll: Please...... NS OWNED you. Pennington was a perfect example of you Phags pulling a 180. First he was a POS and a noodle arm, then , as a Phag, he was the 2nd coming. Spare us.

Lol.

To further clarify my point let me give you a perfect example of 'homerism'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Slick viewpost.gif

'homerism'. ????

What part of the post is homerism?

Three L's to end the season.

Season ending collapse - fact.

fact. You don't think Pennington is a NFL caliber QB do you? He can't throw the ball.

Dolphins will be battling w/Buffalo for last place. They'll have 6 wins at most.

Last years record was 7-9, with two incredible luck out W's against the Jets - they should have been 5-11. Six W's this year is all you can expect - player losses, injuries, player arrests, new DC with an "offensive" defense scheme, the trick plays will not be effective.

Overall they have declined from last year, while the Jets have addressed their weaknesses and improved.

Parcells will bail and the Fins will collapse in 2011 and be basement dwellers for the next 4 to 5 years.

History repeats itself - Fatcells has a history of doing exactly what I said. He'll leave the team in shambles and it will take years to recover.

Got to love the voice of reason.

1+++

Truth is truth. Dont get me wrong, I love to say F' the Fins but I got to admit, the Marshall pick up was certainly worth 2 2nd round picks. He's a through and through #1 WR for atleast the next 7 years.

I am glad however that Tanny held out and was able to get Holmes for a 5th. Outside of the size and brute strength I think Holmes could be as dangerous, in respects to the other talent around him. Cotch, Kells and Braylon. And we can get that physical size/strength from Braylon.

I like to see the competition though and im glad that Tuna is out there putting good things together, it makes it even sweeter to beat you guys. Its not exciting to beat up on a talentless team, and you guys got some players out there.

Marshall putting up points and Dansby helping to close out games. Im wont say superbowl but the Fins have a shot at making noise this year and for years to come. I dont see you guys sweeping us again, but this rivalry has certainly stepped up a notch since the years of Marino I tell you that.

Truth is truth. Dont get me wrong, I love to say F' the Fins but I got to admit, the Marshall pick up was certainly worth 2 2nd round picks. He's a through and through #1 WR for atleast the next 7 years.

I am glad however that Tanny held out and was able to get Holmes for a 5th. Outside of the size and brute strength I think Holmes could be as dangerous, in respects to the other talent around him. Cotch, Kells and Braylon. And we can get that physical size/strength from Braylon.

I like to see the competition though and im glad that Tuna is out there putting good things together, it makes it even sweeter to beat you guys. Its not exciting to beat up on a talentless team, and you guys got some players out there.

Marshall putting up points and Dansby helping to close out games. Im wont say superbowl but the Fins have a shot at making noise this year and for years to come. I dont see you guys sweeping us again, but this rivalry has certainly stepped up a notch since the years of Marino I tell you that.

That Marshall signing won't be worth a damn until we see if he can actually run with his surgically repaied hip.

:roll: Please...... NS OWNED you. Pennington was a perfect example of you Phags pulling a 180. First he was a POS and a noodle arm, then , as a Phag, he was the 2nd coming. Spare us.

You seem to be the only one who see's it that way, but I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

'homerism'. ????

Yes that or ignorance.

What part of the post is homerism?

Season ending collapse - fact.

This is the only portion of your post that is indeed based on facts.

fact. You don't think Pennington is a NFL caliber QB do you? He can't throw the ball.

In 2008 (the year before his injury) Penny threw for almost 4k yards, had a completion percentage of over 67%, threw for 19 Tds to 7 Ints and had a 7.7 YPA. He not only won the comeback player award for the second time but he was also in a lot of the MVP discussions. On top of that he took a 1-15 team and lead to an 11-5 record. That is among the best

turnarounds in league history.

So do I think he can play quarterback? Yes. Seeing as how you don't it can only be considered Homerism or ignorance. You take your pick.

Again other than the fact that you hate the fins and love you jets this makes absolutely no sense. So once again, Homerism or ignorance. You take your pick.

Overall they have declined from last year, while the Jets have addressed their weaknesses and improved.

How do you figure that the Jets addressed their weaknesses and the Dolphins didn't? I'm going to call this one like I see it. Ignorance.

History repeats itself - Fatcells has a history of doing exactly what I said. He'll leave the team in shambles and it will take years to recover.

What Bill does still remains to be seen. I will say this he has no reason to leave Miami. He has everything he ever wanted down here. He has complete and utter control of the football side of the operations. He can Golf, go to the track, spring baseball etc. These things he loves to do and does them when ever he can.

He wont leave for money or he would have done it already. His contract allows him to leave and still get paid. If he was going to leave for money he would have done it year one.

Other than stating the obvious late season collapse you post shows that that you really don't know the other teams inside your division. It's also why I called Villain the foe's post the voice of reason.

1++++

Yes that or ignorance.

This is the only portion of your post that is indeed based on facts.

In 2008 (the year before his injury) Penny threw for almost 4k yards, had a completion percentage of over 67%, threw for 19 Tds to 7 Ints and had a 7.7 YPA. He not only won the comeback player award for the second time but he was also in a lot of the MVP discussions. On top of that he took a 1-15 team and lead to an 11-5 record. That is among the best

turnarounds in league history.

So do I think he can play quarterback? Yes. Seeing as how you don't it can only be considered Homerism or ignorance. You take your pick.

OK - you consider Pennington an above average NFL QB based on his 2008 stat's.

Did Henne put up better stat's last year? Why isn't "noodle arm" starting this year? Will Penny start after he completes yet another recovery?

Ignorance and homerism is having a QB that can NOT make the throws necessary for a NFL QB and ignoring that fact.

Remember, Jet fans watched him his entire career. His arm strength was barely adequate before the first injury, although his timing, accuracy and anticipation compensated for the weak arm. After the many injuries and multiple rotator cuff shoulder surgeries he was toast. Defenses knew he couldn't throw further than 15 yards, unless it was a balloon toss.

I like Chad - I'm just happy we moved on to a real QB.

Again other than the fact that you hate the fins and love you jets this makes absolutely no sense. So once again, Homerism or ignorance. You take your pick.

I'm a Jet fan - of course I hate the Phags, but I can objectively evaluate both teams.

Adding Marshall (how's that recovery from a second hip surgery going?) and an average ILB will not make the Phins contenders, except for last place in the AFCE.

How do you figure that the Jets addressed their weaknesses and the Dolphins didn't? I'm going to call this one like I see it. Ignorance.

We eliminated a huge weakness at safety and replaced him with a real player. Added another shutdown CB and a Nickle CB in the draft. Best OL in the league improved. Sanchez looked excellent during the playoffs and now has a better running game and the WR talent to keep defenses honest.

Fins have a new DC and a new "offensive" defensive scheme, I'm sure that will go smoothly with all the talent you have on Defense.

The Jets number 1 rated D has been greatly improved. maybe we will see Pennington this season after Jason Taylor knocks Henne's head off.

What Bill does still remains to be seen. I will say this he has no reason to leave Miami. He has everything he ever wanted down here. He has complete and utter control of the football side of the operations. He can Golf, go to the track, spring baseball etc. These things he loves to do and does them when ever he can.

Just suppose that I'm right and the Fins have a 5 or 6 win season, do you think that Parcells will stay in Miami?

Now that's both ignorance and homersim.

This season will be fun and you'll be gone by week 4.

OK - you consider Pennington an above average NFL QB based on his 2008 stat's.

The year before he was injured he was the second highest rated passer in the NFL. So yes I consider him an above average QB. For that matter so did the rest of the NFL.

Did Henne put up better stat's last year? Why isn't "noodle arm" starting this year? Will Penny start after he completes yet another recovery?

Right now Penny is still recovering from his shoulder operation. He's throwing in practice but only on a limited basis. He was brought back in to be a Mentor for the young QBs, including Henne. Whether or not he takes over as our starter once he is healed will depend on how well Henne performs.

Ignorance and homerism is having a QB that can NOT make the throws necessary for a NFL QB and ignoring that fact.

No, Homerism is ignoring the facts and claiming someone is not good at what ever position they play solely because they play for the other team. Like your assessment of Dansby or Marshall.

Or claiming that someone is going to be great simply because they are on your team. Like your assessment of Cromartie.

Remember, Jet fans watched him his entire career. His arm strength was barely adequate before the first injury, although his timing, accuracy and anticipation compensated for the weak arm. After the many injuries and multiple rotator cuff shoulder surgeries he was toast. Defenses knew he couldn't throw further than 15 yards, unless it was a balloon toss.

No one ever claimed that he had a rocket arm. His forte in the NFL was his knowledge of the game, work ethic, ability to read defenses, his accuracy and his ability to avoid the costly mistakes. These abilities of his are make him a very good QB.

Using your own logic that a strong arm makes a good QB, then Henne is better and will remain better than Sanchez. Its a false logic however as there is much more to what makes up a good QB.

I like Chad - I'm just happy we moved on to a real QB.

Well you didn't move from Chad to Sanchez you moved from Favre to Sanchez, but that's splitting hairs. Having a young QB has it's ups and downs and I have to admit the ride has been fun for both sides so far. Whether or not it was a good move won't be known for at least a couple of years.

I'm a Jet fan - of course I hate the Phags, but I can objectively evaluate both teams.

So far you have let it known you hate the fins but you have yet to show that you can be objective.

Adding Marshall (how's that recovery from a second hip surgery going?) and an average ILB will not make the Phins contenders, except for last place in the AFCE.We eliminated a huge weakness at safety and replaced him with a real player. Added another shutdown CB and a Nickle CB in the draft. Best OL in the league improved. Sanchez looked excellent during the playoffs and now has a better running game and the WR talent to keep defenses honest.

Well first off the surgery was to clean up lose bodies and he's coming along well. Calling Dansby Average once again shows either homerism or a genuine lack of football knowledge.

The replacing of Rhodes will show its self as either good or bad over the course of the season.

Calling a CB whom every Jet fan in the nation made fun of last year after you guys beat SD in the playoffs a Shutdown corner is laughable. It's been awhile since Cromartie has had a good year. There was a reason SD wanted to unload him. I wouldn't be so fast to call him a "shutdown corner".

I think Wilson was the best pure CB in the draft so I admit he was a solid pickup and I would expect him to replace Cromartie by the end of the season.

Saying that your running game is improved after replacing a 1400 yard rusher with a 700 yard rusher is the epitome of homerism and could be considered nothing less. Do you hope he will be? I'm sure you and every other jet fan does. Will it be better? that ramains to be seen. Honestly its going to be hard to get much better than what you had last year.

Sanchez didn't look bad in the playoffs I will grant you that. Nor was he asked to do a lot. Hand the ball off and don't make mistakes that's just about it. It's a good plan for a young QB and for the most part he played his part well.

Fins have a new DC and a new "offensive" defensive scheme, I'm sure that will go smoothly with all the talent you have on Defense.

While I appreciate your use of sarcasm to mask your obvious homerism all I need to do is go back to you guys last year. Teams learn and install new schemes all the time. If its a good scheme and it is things will go smoothly.

The Jets number 1 rated D has been greatly improved. maybe we will see Pennington this season after Jason Taylor knocks Henne's head off.

Your number one Defense was also greatly improved from the year before. You know from your old scheme to your new scheme. Will the additions/subtractions made this off season make you better? Who knows...

As for who knocks who's head off I'll leave that for the players on the field to decide.

Just suppose that I'm right and the Fins have a 5 or 6 win season, do you think that Parcells will stay in Miami?

Where would he go? Is he going to retire? If not I don't see him going to another team unless the owner starts to interfere which what Bill is trying to do.

Now that's both ignorance and homersim.

If you're referring to your post then I can see a trend forming. One fact based statement per post.

This season will be fun and you'll be gone by week 4.

I can't wait.

where are they gonna throw on the jets ?

I mean really

if cro is any good, and wilson gets up to speed, and taylor and the ghost can get some edge pressure, where will they throw ?

the key to this defense is gonna be jenks

if he stays healthy and stuffs the run, about all that is left is throwing to the TE , cuz our big OLB's couldn't cover me

That Marshall signing won't be worth a damn until we see if he can actually run with his surgically repaied hip.

Thats fair to say. Couldnt say that I disagree. Marshall isnt the fastest WR in the league but he's a great route runner, chews up space and his big body makes him a great target.

Even if his hip limits him for example, this guy "right now" is arguably the best receiver in the league, and if not def in the top 3. What this means to me atleast is that if his hip limits him this guys still not going to fall off the planet. Even if he goes from top 3 to top 10 thats still a massive upgrade than Ted Ginn Jr.

I'm just being a bit honest, the Jets have been making killer moves this offseason/draft. The only person that the Jets didnt get that I kinda wanted was Dez Bryant, but with aquiring Holmes thats not a problem and it saved money.

With that being said, what the Fins did this offseason wasnt too bad though. I like the Dansby and Marshall pick-up, and though I think Odrick will be a bust (even before the Fins picked him) if this guy does live up to his potential the Dolphins have a team that is atleast final four capable. If im correct the Fins were 3rd in rushing and Henne just got a legit target and hate him or love him, that first miami game showed what henne can do when you let the game play to him. This kid has a f'ing CANNON and its more accurate than people would like to admit.

Im not trying to be the "FINS LOVER" here, but I do love rivalry and I like that they're stepping up to the plate and not trying to let the Jets just take the division. These games this year are going to be FIERCE!

Marshall/Revis, Henne/Sanchez, Wildcat/Rex D. Cant wait til the second game when Holmes is on the field.

Thats fair to say. Couldnt say that I disagree. Marshall isnt the fastest WR in the league but he's a great route runner, chews up space and his big body makes him a great target.

Even if his hip limits him for example, this guy "right now" is arguably the best receiver in the league, and if not def in the top 3. What this means to me atleast is that if his hip limits him this guys still not going to fall off the planet. Even if he goes from top 3 to top 10 thats still a massive upgrade than Ted Ginn Jr.

I'm just being a bit honest, the Jets have been making killer moves this offseason/draft. The only person that the Jets didnt get that I kinda wanted was Dez Bryant, but with aquiring Holmes thats not a problem and it saved money.

With that being said, what the Fins did this offseason wasnt too bad though. I like the Dansby and Marshall pick-up, and though I think Odrick will be a bust (even before the Fins picked him) if this guy does live up to his potential the Dolphins have a team that is atleast final four capable. If im correct the Fins were 3rd in rushing and Henne just got a legit target and hate him or love him, that first miami game showed what henne can do when you let the game play to him. This kid has a f'ing CANNON and its more accurate than people would like to admit.

Im not trying to be the "FINS LOVER" here, but I do love rivalry and I like that they're stepping up to the plate and not trying to let the Jets just take the division. These games this year are going to be FIERCE!

Marshall/Revis, Henne/Sanchez, Wildcat/Rex D. Cant wait til the second game when Holmes is on the field.

You sure as hell stroked Landshark though.

Archived