Favorite Band(s)?

war ensemble

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody gives these guys the credit they deserve... in my opinion, the Descendents perfected the "punk rock" love song.

Without these guys, there is no "pop punk" there is no Green Day. For better or for worse...

descendents.jpg

AnnCrlmb63U

W-Lq85590cI

I can't stand most everything Prince has done.

But almost weekly I hear some huge tune he wrote for someone else. The guy must be some sort of genius.

You serious? Get his greatest hits double album, as well as purple rain and you're set. I would say he's a musical genius just off the strength that he can play 14 instruments and is one heck of a song writer.

You serious? Get his greatest hits double album, as well as purple rain and you're set. I would say he's a musical genius just off the strength that he can play 14 instruments and is one heck of a song writer.

I'm a big fan of Prince. Around The World in a Day and Sign 'o' The Times were two of my favorite albums in the 80's. The man is clearly brilliant.

I'm a big fan of Prince. Around The World in a Day and Sign 'o' The Times were two of my favorite albums in the 80's. The man is clearly brilliant.

<3 Prince

Guy is one of the most talented musicians of all time.

Good call. This is one of the albums that I never get tired of listening to...

Is it weird that as much as I love punk rock, I really dont like the descendents? I mean, I own a couple of the albums and like some songs but in general, they just dont do it for me.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Massive Attack

All That Remains

Thrice

NIN

Poison The Well

Murder by Death

I'm definitely a very "in the moment" music listener. I get obsessed with a band or something and listen to it for a couple of months and move on. It's rare that a band will always keep my interest. Even some of those I listed above made 1 album I found epic.

Is it weird that as much as I love punk rock, I really dont like the descendents? I mean, I own a couple of the albums and like some songs but in general, they just dont do it for me.

Yes, very weird. I can see not being into bands like Flipper or The Minutemen, but not the Descendents.

Milo Goes to College is awesome from start to finish (15 songs in 22 minutes) and is one of the catchiest punk albums of all-time IMO.

Yes, very weird. I can see not being into bands like Flipper or The Minutemen, but not the Descendents.

Milo Goes to College is awesome from start to finish (15 songs in 22 minutes) and is one of the catchiest punk albums of all-time IMO.

Milo Goes to College is their best work... a couple of gems on that album. I own that and Everything Sucks...and they probably get the least amount of playing time than any other band in my library.

I think its just so cheesy sometimes and it gets to me. Nobody understands me when I admit to this because they know how much I love that genre and they are in some's mind the pinnacle of punk rock. I dunno...just not for me. I guess it because when I hear them I start to think of the Blink 182's of the world and want to puke thinking that something that classic resulted in what I thought was the worst thing that happened to my genre of music. Ya know?

Its like...when I meet someone and we have this conversation and someone says they like "punk rock"...when I ask to elobrate...its typically the Blink 182 type bands they name. And I'm just like, man...thats not punk rock. Then I hear the Descendents and you can so easily spot their influence on those types of bands and I get very disappointed.

I think its just so cheesy sometimes and it gets to me. Nobody understands me when I admit to this because they know how much I love that genre and they are in some's mind the pinnacle of punk rock. I dunno...just not for me. I guess it because when I hear them I start to think of the Blink 182's of the world and want to puke thinking that something that classic resulted in what I thought was the worst thing that happened to my genre of music. Ya know?

Its like...when I meet someone and we have this conversation and someone says they like "punk rock"...when I ask to elobrate...its typically the Blink 182 type bands they name. And I'm just like, man...thats not punk rock. Then I hear the Descendents and you can so easily spot their influence on those types of bands and I get very disappointed.

If you hated every band that was at all responsible for the derivative garbage it helped spawn, you'd have a much smaller playlist.

If you hated every band that was at all responsible for the derivative garbage it helped spawn, you'd have a much smaller playlist.

Thats the thing...I dont. Hell, my favorite bands are the Beastie Boys which spawned a lot of terrible music. Sublime which spawned ever worse music. And I'd even put Social D is there as another band that spawned terrible music. The Pixies too.

Point being, I like a lot of bands that made way for some garbage and I still like them, but not Descendents.

Thats the thing...I dont. Hell, my favorite bands are the Beastie Boys which spawned a lot of terrible music. Sublime which spawned ever worse music. And I'd even put Social D is there as another band that spawned terrible music. The Pixies too.

Point being, I like a lot of bands that made way for some garbage and I still like them, but not Descendents.

I think that you think too much about what others think.

Who cares who inspired what, or what the unwritten rules of being a "punk rock kid" are regarding the bands that are mandatory favorites.

Let your ears and your freewill be the judge...

I think that you think too much about what others think.

Who cares who inspired what, or what the unwritten rules of being a "punk rock kid" are regarding the bands that are mandatory favorites.

Let your ears and your freewill be the judge...

Nah...not at all. In fact, a lot of stuff I listen to nobody I know likes....for example; Tiger Army. I cant get enough of that group and most of my friends dont get it.

True story. I saw Sublime when I was super young. Like 14 at a warp tour with my brother and thought they were the coolest thing ever. Took home the CD, played it for all my friends and they all thought it was terrible. Come our Senior year in High School, guess who everyone's favorite band was?

I like a lot of music my friends dont get...thats really not it. Just something about the Descendents...but IMO, thats the beauty of music.

Well, that was inevitable. That's like taking a bootleg shot on an old VHS camcorder with the built-in microphone... and then making a copy of it... on Extended Play.

LOL - I dont think it became inevitable untill the last album. Prior to that, most of their music was hybrid's of stuff most people my age didnt understand. Once "What I got" came out...then it was all over.

I liked all the early punk stuff. I was coming of age in the mid 70's, when these big theatrical acts like Rush, Yes, and Kansas, were all big. And disco was huge. And you had the stoner music in Led Zep, Neil Young, and the Grateful Dead (I hadn't yet learned of the weed), and there was nothing there for me.

I was listening to my Beatles albums, Kiss and Queen were big (Freddy Mercury's gay? Really?).

But then I heard The Ramones for the first time and loved them immediately. I'd go see them at the roller rink a town over from me. Then I got into the whole CBGB sound - Talking Heads, Blondie, Television. The stuff coming over from England in the Sex Pistols, Clash, Damned. I loved the punk attitude, but to me it was all just good, fun (often funny), rock-n-roll.

I never really got into the speed stuff, but loved Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys. Suicidal Tendencies were epic, as was Alice Donut. Sonic Youth became one of my favorite bands when I received their Sister album as a gift. For some people, that's still unlistenable, but if you've never checked out Sonic Youth, check out Daydream Nation. One of the greatest albums ever.

496570c2a2c02

Guns n Roses is my all time favorite.

There really are too many to list that I love. Foo Fighters, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, ABB, Led Zep, The Stones and more.

I just saw Kings of Leon and they were amazing. I can't wait to buy tickets for the Black Crowes this weekend.

Music is proof there is something else out there.

There's the Beatles, and then there's everybody else.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2S7kKLtEQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2S7kKLtEQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My doppelganger wins again.

Still to this day, in MY mind they are the greatest band EVER. To those of us who were alive at that time there is no mistaking that they were just that. No other rock n roll band ever caused the sensation that The Beatles did.

Hector, I28...went back and listened to Milo Goes to College again...and it is a great album...maybe its the later stuff that bothers me.

But I'd like to add Operation Ivy to my list...I can neve get enough of their music.

Archived