Mike Florio: 6 Teams that won't return to NFL playoffs in '10

villain_the_foe

New flash!!!!! We're not making the playoffs

:-(

Friday, Jun. 18, 2010 - 11:25 a.m. ET

Earlier this week, I assumed that recent history will hold firm in 2010, and that half of the NFL teams that made it to the postseason in 2009 won't make it back this year.

Given that assumption, I listed the six teams most likely to return. So, for Part 2, let's look at the six that are the most likely to play no games beyond the final week of the regular season.

New York Jets

All-Star teams generate a lot of buzz, but they rarely accomplish anything when it counts.

In New York, the already enhanced expectations from a 9-7 season that ended with a berth to the AFC title game went through the roof of their roofless new stadium via the collection of big-name players like LaDainian Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, and Jason Taylor.

Apart from the fact the Jets will be wearing a gigantic bull's-eye in every game, discontent among players who believe the team promised to "take care" of them could conspire to "take care" of the team's chances in 2010.

New England Patriots

Yes, the Patriots will be contenders for as long as quarterback Tom Brady and coach Bill Belichick are in New England. But that doesn't mean they'll make it to the playoffs every year.

A vague sense has developed that the team's run of greatness is much closer to the end than to the beginning. Brady has been vocal regarding problems with work ethic and responsiveness to coaching, and his message may not be heeded by teammates given his decision to stay in L.A. for much of the offseason.

While the team has enough talent to excel, the rest of the league has caught up with the Pats

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if the Jets and Pats aren't going to make the playoffs from the East then who? The Dolphins? LMFAO Florio.

I can see the Bengals and or the Pats missing the playoffs and the Dolphins getting in. I do agree that the Patriots will miss the playoffs because I think they'll be in 3rd place in our division.

So if the Jets and Pats aren't going to make the playoffs from the East then who? The Dolphins? LMFAO Florio.

I'm guessing Florio thinks both the Jets and Patriots starting QBs are going to get injured again this year so that the Dolphins will be able to squeak out the division in week 17 on tiebreakers. Because as we know, that sure as hell is the only way they'll actually be able to win the division or make the playoffs.

Of course, any list that has the Saints not making the playoffs should tell you its true worth.

I can see the Bengals and or the Pats missing the playoffs and the Dolphins getting in. I do agree that the Patriots will miss the playoffs because I think they'll be in 3rd place in our division.

Riiiiggght

If Brady stays healthy NE will be in the post season.

Of course, any list that has the Saints not making the playoffs should tell you its true worth.

Yeah, but if he wrote a similar article exactly a year ago and had the Steelers not making the playoffs, you would probably have laughed at that, too.

No Jets, Pats or Bengals? That means the Dolphins, Colts, Chargers, Ravens and WHO? Does he think the Bills will make it or one of those stiffs from the west? The Texans, Titans and Steelers are the only other likely candidates for the two spots and with Big Ben's suspension the Steelers are probably more questionable than ever. I doubt three teams will come out of one division.

the only team that won't make the playoffs out of these six for sure are the cardinals. I could see the bengals not making it. everyone else should though.

Yeah, but if he wrote a similar article exactly a year ago and had the Steelers not making the playoffs, you would probably have laughed at that, too.

Perhaps, but call me crazy, I would call the AFC North slightly more competitive than the NFC South. Also consider that the 2008 Steelers didn't win 13 straight.

New flash!!!!! We're not making the playoffs

:-(

New York Jets

All-Star teams generate a lot of buzz, but they rarely accomplish anything when it counts.

What an incredibly stupid statement. I assume this is in reference to the fact that the Jets had a lot of pro bowlers. That is a bad thing? And they accomplished getting to the championship game with a rookie QB. A bit of an accomplishment.

If he has an agenda against the Jets, at least try to make up some kind of substantial argument like he kind of did with these other teams.

Idiot.

What an incredibly stupid statement. I assume this is in reference to the fact that the Jets had a lot of pro bowlers. That is a bad thing? And they accomplished getting to the championship game with a rookie QB. A bit of an accomplishment.

If he has an agenda against the Jets, at least try to make up some kind of substantial argument like he kind of did with these other teams.

Idiot.

+1

Perhaps, but call me crazy, I would call the AFC North slightly more competitive than the NFC South. Also consider that the 2008 Steelers didn't win 13 straight.

The NFC South is more competitive. There has never been a repeat division winner, in fact. All four of the NFC South teams have had at least one winning season in the past two seasons. The AFC North, on the other hand, contains the Browns. Enough said.

I'd rather be a team with "too many all-stars" than one that lacked the talent to contend, as we used to.

Yeah saying "too much talent" is poetry, not reality. How many teams can you name who failed because they had too much talent? In ANY sport? I can't think of one.

The NFC South is more competitive. There has never been a repeat division winner, in fact. All four of the NFC South teams have had at least one winning season in the past two seasons. The AFC North, on the other hand, contains the Browns. Enough said.

The only reason why the NFC South has seemed competitive is the fact that until the Saints got their **** together, it was four teams that had zero consistency. Outside of their one Super Bowl season the Bucs have been a joke, the Falcons never managed to be anything more than ok and the Panthers have never scared anyone, even if they could string some wins together once in a while, it never amounted to anything. Sure, in the AFC North the Browns may suck beyond believe (although even they had a 10 win season not long about), but the Ravens have always been a tough matchup and the past two years have been an EXTREMELY good team, the Bengals are a team who has consistently improved from year to year (including sweeping the AFC North last season) and the Steelers have won 2 of the last 5 Super Bowls.

What ECURB said! :-)

The Pats have gotten worse since they had to put the cameras away

video_camera-1.jpg

NE has gotten better. 38 - 11 is a actually a 71% winning percentage.

Keep dreamimg.

Its going to be funny when the Pats win in week 2. What excuse will you have then? Better start thinking of some.

The only reason why the NFC South has seemed competitive is the fact that until the Saints got their **** together, it was four teams that had zero consistency. Outside of their one Super Bowl season the Bucs have been a joke, the Falcons never managed to be anything more than ok and the Panthers have never scared anyone, even if they could string some wins together once in a while, it never amounted to anything. Sure, in the AFC North the Browns may suck beyond believe (although even they had a 10 win season not long about), but the Ravens have always been a tough matchup and the past two years have been an EXTREMELY good team, the Bengals are a team who has consistently improved from year to year (including sweeping the AFC North last season) and the Steelers have won 2 of the last 5 Super Bowls.

I thought we were talking about competitiveness. Now you've changed it to consistency. :confused:

Keep dreamimg.

Its going to be funny when the Pats win in week 2. What excuse will you have then? Better start thinking of some.

it will be because the better team won without recording. i feel so bad for the pats fans. to have their titles dirty must feel terrible.

it will be because the better team won without recording. i feel so bad for the pats fans. to have their titles dirty must feel terrible.

they always say it doesn't bother them, but it must. cheating. your team got caught cheating

and for goodell to destroy the evidence can only mean there was stuff in there that would harm "the shield" by tainting the titles

brady sure didn't look like a gal that knew what was coming in that wc playoff game last year :rl:

man, they got humiliated

no way that happens with belly sending spies into the locker room to see what was on the blackboard (charly casserly accusation), the opposing teams headsets going dead on key drives (several teams suffered this in ratsboro) and the "mysterious extra frequency" thay had set up

what was that for ? listening to the other teams offensive signals to the QB's headset ? talking to brady after the headset is supposed to go silent ?

0EU1O-hGxgg

Florio's a joke, but that's okay.

His negative comments are more motivating than if he were to say the Jets are a lock for greatness.

I hope the Jets hear such accusations -- that they're a money-first-win-last kind of team, and unhappiness will ruin their efforts.

My feeling is the current players really do want to win. They can smell the Super Bowl, and want it now. They're excited.

Except for maybe Shonn Greene, who might miss the importance of the moment again, and park his stupid ass on the bench over the slightest discomfort.

Whatever the case, our new stockpile of ball carriers should handle the slack.

You're missing the point. He's not predicting that neither will make the playoffs - he's identifying both as among the six of last season's 12 playoff teams least likely to return to the playoffs.

You know what? He's right.

I mean seriously, I think we make the playoffs this year, but we'll be in a dogfight for the division. That's not something you can say about the Chargers, Colts, or Ravens (with Big Ben down for 1/3 of the season and having added Boldin, they're the clear class of that division). I'd also say the Cowboys, Saints (on that call, Florio is crazy) and Vikes and Pack also have a fairly easy road back (both the vikes and pack, because the NFC wildcard isn't likely to involve a whole bunch of contenders).

For us, if we don't win the division (and assuming the 4 division winners are the Ravens, Colts, Pats and Chargers) there are a bunch of serious wild card contenders to worry about - Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Miami, Houston, possibly even Tennessee (they turned it on at the end of the season last year, could be primed for a run).

I think, on paper, we're significantly better than those teams - and in fact should take the division - but it's not crazy to say that of the 12 playoff teams from last year, we are in the bottom 50% for "easiest road back"

You're missing the point. He's not predicting that neither will make the playoffs - he's identifying both as among the six of last season's 12 playoff teams least likely to return to the playoffs.

You know what? He's right.

You're missing Stoic's point that one AFCE team must reach the postseason, and given the choices, Florio should rethink his 6 no-shows (and 6 repeats).

The two divisions came about with the realignment before the 2002 season. Let's examine how competitive the two divisions have been.

AFC North

one team has won half of the division titles

one team never won the division

12 playoff berths

two conference titles

2-0 in Super Bowls

NFC South

all four teams have won the division at least one time

11 playoff berths

three conference titles

2-1 in Super Bowls

Keep dreamimg.

I seriously doubt he'll need one. You've done zilch in the off season.

Archived